Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 23, 2015, 10:45pm
I have today been told by my boss to pick a company car and I am unsure what to go for. I have a young family so ideally want an estate.

I'm currently driving around in a 5 year old C250 saloon which just fits everything I need in the boot but if I have another child or go on holiday I will struggle so I need boot space.

Not paid too much either so I want low tax but a decent car. Seen the 508SW GT tonight which looks nice and the Mondeo Estate Titanium. Think the V60 D4 is cheap on tax too but what are people driving as it needs to last me 4 years.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 25, 2015, 3:22pm; Reply: 1
Don't laugh but the 2.litre  Skoda  is a good car.
Posted by: BrickTop, July 26, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 2
Quoted from grimsby pete

Very under rated car's Pete. They're basically a VW with a skoda badge, these days.
Posted by: LH, July 27, 2015, 12:22am; Reply: 3
I drive an Audi A3 at the minute but the best car I have ever had was a T-reg Skoda Felicia my mum bought me for my 18th for £100.  I drove it probably 40,000 miles in two years without it ever so much as coughing on a start and it got through two MOTs without a problem despite it being over ten years old when I got it. It took some abuse as well but was an absolute tank of a car.
Posted by: Maringer, July 27, 2015, 8:16am; Reply: 4
My last few cars have been Audis. Few problems encountered with them and a lot more reliable than the previous BMW whose turbo periodically blew up!

Pretty much any VW brand should be OK but then I understand Fords are supposed to be good these days as well.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 27, 2015, 9:58am; Reply: 5
I've got a Mondeo and had one previously. Not a company car but do a lot of mileage through work. It's boring but it's reliable, cheap to run etc When something does go wrong with it parts are very easy to find and aren't expensive. Not very glamorous but they've been spot on for me.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 27, 2015, 1:32pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from grimsby pete

Skoda and Seat both part of the VW family...you more or less know what you're getting with anything that they make ( or should I say assemble, because it's the same suppliers who make all the parts for all the cars, before they get their badges on the front)

If you chose one from this lot James, save yourself a few quid going for the "downmarket" brands rather than their "upmarket" Audis etc.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 27, 2015, 9:46pm; Reply: 7
I'm not a massive fan of the Audi anyway and I think the Passat estate looks a bit boring! Unfortunately my list only includes VW and Audi due to residual values I think otherwise I would have a Skoda Superb!

I'm currently torn between a Mazda6 Tourer SE-L Nav, a Mondeo Titanium X Pack and a B Class Sport.

Don't think the B Class includes navigation so that would make it a two horse race. I can be in all of those for between £80-85 per month.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 28, 2015, 4:34pm; Reply: 8
i drive a Kia Ceed 'Sportswagon'

nothing sporty about it at all, but it is an estate, nice big car, no problems at all
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 28, 2015, 11:38pm; Reply: 9
Been looking tonight and going to drive a top spec Mazda 6 saloon for a weekend and a Mondeo Estate Titanium X. Both come with all the mod cons and the boot does look huge in the Mazda6.

Just wish Skoda's and Kia were on the list. My missus has a 10 year old Picanto and in 3 years we have had to replace all the brake pads, nothing else. Wouldn't mind a Kia Sportage but hey ho.
Posted by: acko338, July 31, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 10
My wife's current 2004 Skoda Octavia estate has 214,000 on the clock and went through the last mot with one bulb needed - two services per year. Cruised all through Holland and Germany last year at 90 mph with no problems.

My Skoda Superb 2006 saloon has 145,000 on the clock and only needed a suspension boot. Both have been with us for 4 years, never let us down.

Started with Skoda Felicia estate 15 years ago and have been with Skodas ever since, lately with diesel turbo 1.9 engines, after a beast of an Octavia with a 2 litre petrol engine that I had for over 165,000 miles until a post office van rammed me and it had to be scrapped.

Total satisfaction and huge boot space. My only bad point is the Superb has a less than brilliant turning circle, but my 6 footers can sit in the back and stretch out comfortably.

Both are used as very cost effective company cars.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 1, 2015, 1:51am; Reply: 11
If you are on a fully maintained package then it doesnt really matter what you select, the only factor you need to consider is how much will it cost you?
Select the lowest tax banding vehicle you can which usually will mean hybrid/petrol, diesel engines carry a premium tax wise before you consider emissions tax rating, last time i considered a company vehicle i ended up looking at a Toyota Auris hybrid, decent enought to drive, pretty much as low as i could get emission wise so win win for me, IIRC Citreon DS3 where pretty low on emission tax wise too...see the link below for deeper explanation.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-advice/running/company-car-tax/3487415

listed low emission cars...sub 75kgm are best for your pocket tax wise..

http://www.nextgreencar.com/emissions/low-emission-cars/

Posted by: BIGChris, August 6, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 12
Depends on each individual's tax situation but for me a company car isn't viable. As a director it makes more sense to buy a car myself and charge it back to the company. I do at least 25000 business miles a year.
Always liked my Audi's
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 7, 2015, 2:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from BIGChris
Depends on each individual's tax situation but for me a company car isn't viable. As a director it makes more sense to buy a car myself and charge it back to the company. I do at least 25000 business miles a year.
Always liked my Audi's

Just take the four rings away from the grille Chris and you've got yourself a Skoda!  ;)

Posted by: HighamMariner, August 7, 2015, 9:01pm; Reply: 14
If a cash option is available consider it.  My last cc was a 330d m sport.  BIC tax was 287 a month on the car and another 170 on the fuel.  I took the cash option which after tax and NI was 400 a month (add the 287 and 170) so I had 827 a month to play with.  Bought an XC60 for £28k from my local dealer who price matched drivethedeal.com saving 7k off list.  Spent another £6k on a pug 107 which I'll get all the money back for by claiming fuel allowance from HMRC (40% of 45p per mile).

Basically every twit at work has a merc, beamer or audi so they are hardly 'stand out' cars.  The wise ones take the cash and use something basic for work while getting a 'free' second car paid for as well.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 3:19am