Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: gtfc82, August 2, 2015, 9:31am
I'm as delighted as everyone with how well our preseason has gone. I'm still a bit concerned though when I look at the amount of strikers in our squad, especially as Bogle is still not ready and Pittman is injury prone! I think Hurst should look for another striker either permanently or on loan.
Posted by: BIGChris, August 2, 2015, 9:44am; Reply: 1
Quoted from gtfc82
I'm as delighted as everyone with how well our preseason has gone. I'm still a bit concerned though when I look at the amount of strikers in our squad, especially as Bogle is still not ready and Pittman is injury prone! I think Hurst should look for another striker either permanently or on loan.

Which is what he has said he is doing. Nothing on the horizon but once season starts and some find themselves on the bench or out of their squads they become more unsettled and want a move.

Vital we get the right one not anyone
Posted by: aldi_01, August 2, 2015, 9:46am; Reply: 2
Agree with the above, why rush to pick someone up.

By the end of August there will be players who are wanting a move for all manner of reasons and will probably accept better terms for the club, that is the time to do it.
Posted by: gtfc82, August 2, 2015, 9:52am; Reply: 3
Just heard the interview after the Boston game. I'm just hoping we are scoring goals from the first kick off, because our lack of goals at the start of last season was a major factor behind our slow start.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, August 2, 2015, 10:44am; Reply: 4
Quoted from gtfc82
Just heard the interview after the Boston game. I'm just hoping we are scoring goals from the first kick off, because our lack of goals at the start of last season was a major factor behind our slow start.

Last year we started upfront with LJL who was yet to hit form, and some bloke pretending to be Alan Connell. This time round we've got Amond on fire and hopefully Bogle (failing that, an inform Arnold) to do the business. You can never guarantee success but we're giving ourselves a better chance this time round.
Posted by: speedy, August 2, 2015, 11:31am; Reply: 5
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Last year we started upfront with LJL who was yet to hit form, and some bloke pretending to be Alan Connell. This time round we've got Amond on fire and hopefully Bogle (failing that, an inform Arnold) to do the business. You can never guarantee success but we're giving ourselves a better chance this time round.

Don't forget pitman :) as of now if everyone was fit i'd start pitman and amond. both on fire
Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 2, 2015, 11:32am; Reply: 6
I don't think we will lack goals this season we have goal scorers all over the pitch.
Posted by: Tinymariner, August 2, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 7
I know it's only pre-season but we scored 28 goals in 9 games and one of our strikers got 9 of them. I'm not concerned at all. UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, August 2, 2015, 11:47am; Reply: 8
I'm of the opinion that we need a dedicated fourth striker and have said so previously. Pittman's appearance record over the last few seasons suggest he will not be fit for 46 games and therefore we are going into the season with effectively 2.5 recognised strikers.

However, i am a lot more buoyed by the strikers we now have on the books and in Amond, we finally have what i consider to be a proper striker, with good movement and who you would back most times to finish decent chances. LJL for all his attributes was limited in the most important part of the strikers role, namely putting the ball into the back of the net. Bogle and Pittman especially are looking good but i think we also need a big target man type if we need to bombard a team looking for an elusive goal.

It was definitely the strikers that cost us promotion last season IMO.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 2, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 9
I think we had 9 or 10 strikers when Newell was boss,

Its not the number its the quality,

I would rather have 4 quality strikers than 10 average ones.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 2, 2015, 11:57am; Reply: 10
I trust Hurst, if he is happy with the squad, then so am i, he knows what he is doing and what his plans are, relax and enjoy this buzz that everyone is feeling right now
Posted by: rancido, August 2, 2015, 12:01pm; Reply: 11
I think Marshall demonstrated yesterday that he can play the striker role but obviously not as a target man. I think we have enough strikers in various combinations and formats to finish as Champions this season but if PH sees another one that fills a role that he wants then it would not be a bad idea to sign one. The fact we have a reserve team this season means that players not picked for the first team will still get quality game time and a chance to force their way back into contention.
Posted by: Garth, August 2, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 12
The player that disappointed me a little yesterday was Dale Southwell considering the goals he scored last season, or was it that our defensive qualities were just too good, I think we are really strong at the back this season and will take some beating
Posted by: oldun, August 2, 2015, 12:23pm; Reply: 13
Proves Dale has found his level and could not compete with our lads. Good luck to him though and I hope he has another good season. With regard to our strikers and suggestions about having a target man, I am not so sure as during all the pre-season games we have looked to play to feet or into space in the final third and we have been good at it. A target man inevitably means a return to the so called hoof ball which many on here were not happy with.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 2, 2015, 12:23pm; Reply: 14
I am not worried,,,,,,,,,,,, Armond, JP, Bogle are the main ones but we all know that Nathan and Marcus Marshall could do a job as centre forwards. Also if we where pushed Monkhouse has done that too in the past.

This team has goals in it from all over the pitch.........even Craig Clay!
Posted by: speedy, August 2, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 15
Not sure i'd considering marshall a striking option considering hes done it once for us against boston for 30 minutes?

I'd personaly like another striker coming in, preferably big strong targetman. but stil very happy with the squad.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 2, 2015, 12:42pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from oldun
Proves Dale has found his level and could not compete with our lads. Good luck to him though and I hope he has another good season. With regard to our strikers and suggestions about having a target man, I am not so sure as during all the pre-season games we have looked to play to feet or into space in the final third and we have been good at it. A target man inevitably means a return to the so called hoof ball which many on here were not happy with.

Not advocating we play this way but sometimes in a game you just need to bombard a team to break them down if all else fails. Big target man as an option is no bad thing i think. I'm not complaining at the set up but think another option wouldn't hurt. All bases covered then.
Posted by: Garth, August 2, 2015, 12:46pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from speedy
Not sure i'd considering marshall a striking option considering hes done it once for us against boston for 30 minutes?

I'd personaly like another striker coming in, preferably big strong targetman. but stil very happy with the squad.

Think I would agree with that but yesterday showed he can play up front against some defences and as such it can be Plan C or D, not so sure about Monkhouse up front not a deal of pace and robbed too easily is my opinion so far, hope he improves
Posted by: speedy, August 2, 2015, 12:47pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Garth

Think I would agree with that but yesterday showed he can play up front against some defences and as such it can be Plan C or D, not so sure about Monkhouse up front not a deal of pace and robbed too easily is my opinion so far, hope he improves

I didn't actually see him yesterday to be fair, about monkhouse i do agree but he certainly wins his ariel battles.
Posted by: gtfc82, August 2, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ginnywings
[/b]

Not advocating we play this way but sometimes in a game you just need to bombard a team to break them down if all else fails. Big target man as an option is no bad thing i think. I'm not complaining at the set up but think another option wouldn't hurt. All bases covered then.

Exactly how I feel!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 2, 2015, 2:13pm; Reply: 20
Why take away the harmony built within the squad just to add numbers. We could end up with a Brodie type character that takes away all that has been built by PH. There will be back up options and am sure he has used contacts within the game.

Don't panic mr mainwaring
Posted by: brad_gtfc, August 2, 2015, 3:22pm; Reply: 21
I'd start the season with what we've got to be honest.
Posted by: Youngy, August 2, 2015, 4:33pm; Reply: 22
Agree with the above, if we were in need of a target man then Andy Monkhouse is ready and waiting. Win's the majority of what comes in the air and can hold play up, a little like a slimer Gary Jones.

Marshall really impressed me in the forward role yesterday, he was always looking to run at defenders and create chances for himself and bring in the wingers.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 2, 2015, 4:35pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from speedy

I do agree TBH but if we where stuck he's an option at short notice. Thought his goal on Tuesday was a good example of getting in the right place at the right time......

Posted by: Hertsmariner, August 2, 2015, 8:17pm; Reply: 24
From what I’ve seen (not a lot, just versus Peterborough so far), Town already have real quality in the final third. The speed, understanding, and interchanging movement have the capacity to mesmerise defences at National League level. Whilst I’ve not yet seen Omar Bogle, perhaps he is the battering ram to unlock the more defiant back lines. However, the spectre of injuries to key players is always a concern and should there be a crisis of numbers in treatment, I’m sure PH will look to the loan market as a stop-gap. I listened to his post-match views yesterday and it wasn’t clear just how keen he is to bring in another striker at present. After all, it takes time to develop the necessary understanding with team mates and, in my opinion, for what it’s worth, an excess of equally good players can be disruptive to team spirit as individual opportunities become more limited. PH seems a fine young manager to me-a view I’ve expressed several times on the Telegraph web-site. He may be dour (after all he is a Yorkshireman!), but he’s also a great man-manager and has catalysed a wonderful team spirit. He will do what is necessary when it is needed.    
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 7:19am