Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 5, 2015, 9:25am

So Hurst says we have 16 fit players;
McKeown Tait East Pearson Gowling Toto Disley Clay Arnold Mackreth Monkhouse Amond Bogle Bastock Venney Clifton  16
Out: Marshall Sunter
Doubts: Pittman Robertson Brown

LINK :  http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Injuries-squad-force-Grimsby-Town-boss-Paul-Hurst/story-27544568-detail/story.html

Any chance of a Scunny player in on loan?  
http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/SCUNTHORPE-United-tell-quartet-leave-club-reports/story-27535009-detail/story.html

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 5, 2015, 9:33am; Reply: 1
I'd take Hawkridge!
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 5, 2015, 9:38am; Reply: 2
Dave Syers and Hawkridge will be very good additions for a League Two side, David Mirfin too for that matter.

Even if we go in with that bare 16 I wouldn't touch a loan player just yet.  Especially as we don't know how long Marshall is out yet and how bad Pittman's 'knock' is.  You can still make a bloody good starting eleven and have a strong bench with that 16/17.
Posted by: mariner2000, August 5, 2015, 10:43am; Reply: 3
[td]
[/td]I think as PH said a lot of games in a short space of time   need more experienced pros as options
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 5, 2015, 10:55am; Reply: 4
Quoted from diehardmariner
Dave Syers and Hawkridge will be very good additions for a League Two side, David Mirfin too for that matter.
Even if we go in with that bare 16 I wouldn't touch a loan player just yet.  Especially as we don't know how long Marshall is out yet and how bad Pittman's 'knock' is.  You can still make a bloody good starting eleven and have a strong bench with that 16/17.

Maybe the one you didn't mention as article says Syers had injury problems, so maybe McAllister most likely given Brown injury problems? then again, is the main issue with cover at full back?
Posted by: bax, August 5, 2015, 12:14pm; Reply: 5
I'd be surprised if he brings another central midfielder in yet. I suspect he'll be looking for someone who can play up front and/or wide - with Marshall and JPP out and Bogle not match fit it's attacking areas that need looking at.
Posted by: mariner2000, August 5, 2015, 12:17pm; Reply: 6
Agree a wide man or striker needed
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 5, 2015, 12:39pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Maybe the one you didn't mention as article says Syers had injury problems, so maybe McAllister most likely given Brown injury problems? then again, is the main issue with cover at full back?

Venney and Clifton I'm guessing?  Not sure Hurst would have given either as much pre-season time if he didn't see as viable options/back up to Clay and Disley.  By all accounts Brown's knee is knackered and Hurst has known as much for a while, so I would have expected him to have brought someone else in by now if that was the plan.  

Not sure full-back is a problem.  Both Tait and East can cover each side plus Toto can go to right-back if one of the two natural full-backs is unavailable.  From what Hurst is saying, I don't think Robertson is that far off either.  

Personally I'm really reluctant for us to bring in loan players just for the odd game or two.
Posted by: mariner tommy, August 5, 2015, 2:21pm; Reply: 8

By all accounts Brown's knee is knackered and Hurst has known as much for a while,

Very sweeping statement, by who's account ? what information do you have to back it up ?

UTM
Posted by: gtfc98, August 5, 2015, 2:38pm; Reply: 9

Venney and Clifton I'm guessing?  Not sure Hurst would have given either as much pre-season time if he didn't see as viable options/back up to Clay and Disley.  By all accounts Brown's knee is knackered and Hurst has known as much for a while, so I would have expected him to have brought someone else in by now if that was the plan.  

Not sure full-back is a problem.  Both Tait and East can cover each side plus Toto can go to right-back if one of the two natural full-backs is unavailable.  From what Hurst is saying, I don't think Robertson is that far off either.  

Personally I'm really reluctant for us to bring in loan players just for the odd game or two.

Isn't it an ankle injury?
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 5, 2015, 3:16pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from mariner tommy

Very sweeping statement, by who's account ? what information do you have to back it up ?

UTM

Look, I'm just repeating what I've been told.  I'm not about to start detailing who it came from just so you'll believe it.

As far as I'm concerned, don't believe it.  I don't really care.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from mariner2000
[td]
[/td]I think as PH said a lot of games in a short space of time

Shame he didn't think of that before embarking on that ridiculous number of pre-season games. He's paying for it now Marshall was on fire he will be a big miss and is Bogle really fit or will it be like Robertson at Wembley bringing him back too soon

The Brigg, Ferriby Boston Cleethorpes games were totally unnecessary - 4 or 5 games to look at the squad would have been quite sufficient and were silly risks IMO

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 5, 2015, 4:16pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Ipswin

Shame he didn't think of that before embarking on that ridiculous number of pre-season games. He's paying for it now Marshall was on fire he will be a big miss and is Bogle really fit or will it be like Robertson at Wembley bringing him back too soon

The Brigg, Ferriby Boston Cleethorpes games were totally unnecessary - 4 or 5 games to look at the squad would have been quite sufficient and were silly risks IMO

Hurst Out!   :P
Posted by: Maringer, August 5, 2015, 4:20pm; Reply: 13
Yeah, I agree entirely. The idea of playing as many as two games in one week is clearly crazy as that never occurs during the regular season, does it? What was Hurst thinking?
Posted by: mariner2000, August 5, 2015, 4:24pm; Reply: 14
Sods law says if we had played 2 less games the injurys would have still happened
Posted by: gtfc98, August 5, 2015, 4:24pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Ipswin

bore off.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 5, 2015, 4:36pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Ipswin

Thankfully the club are going on the guidance of sports science and professionals with countless years of experience in pre-season rather than that of someone on the wind-up.  ;)

Posted by: BeijingMariner, August 5, 2015, 5:03pm; Reply: 17

Look, I'm just repeating what I've been told.  I'm not about to start detailing who it came from just so you'll believe it.

As far as I'm concerned, don't believe it.  I don't really care.

then why on earth did you say it on a public forum?
Posted by: Fishbone, August 5, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 18
Personally, I much preferred the positive posts and the collaboration and comradeship that accompanied it. UTM!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 5, 2015, 5:23pm; Reply: 19

Thankfully the club are going on the guidance of sports science and professionals with countless years of experience in pre-season rather than that of someone on the wind-up.  ;)

It doesn't seem that sports science and countless years of experience has either prevented injuries or fixed them, does it?

I must confess I am disappointed about the injury situation because I thought we had learned the lesson from last year when the same thing happened. The problem isn't so much the number of games, it's the number of players in the squad in certain position. We are simply short on numbers.

OK some injuries may be niggles but we have 3 of the squad who have hardly played in pre-season. The knock on effect of this is that squad rotation in those friendlies was cut back and other players maybe had to be given too much game time.

Having said that it has been an excellent pre-season in many ways. At least 2 young lads have shown they can fit in the squad and the way the team has played and score goals has been refreshing. I just hope we don't get any more injuries and we can do ourselves justice in August this year.
Posted by: devs, August 5, 2015, 5:37pm; Reply: 20
Mr Hindsight and Mr Wise after the Event have returned early August... and the season hasn't started yet
Injuries are part and parcel and largely just bad luck
The number of friendlies was not over the top and he rotated the squad accordingly

We'll be fine
Posted by: oldun, August 5, 2015, 7:03pm; Reply: 21
Brown is a bruised bone according to the man himself. Not sure where though.
Posted by: lee65, August 5, 2015, 7:15pm; Reply: 22
Let's stay positive (at least for a few more days  ;))

If this is the fit squad, McKeown Tait East Pearson Gowling Toto Disley Clay Arnold Mackreth Monkhouse Amond Bogle Bastock Venney Clifton , we should still be able to put together a very strong 11-13.

With various thoughts on favoured starting team and formation that I've read over the past few days I think a high proportion of people's chosen 11 are still fit (except Marshall maybe)

Arnold may get to play more centrally, which most want to see.  We could utilise 3 at the back, so none of Gowling, Pearson, or Toto miss out (which I'm all for )
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 5, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from mariner2000
Agree a wide man or striker needed

Peter Bore and Danny north anybody.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: Mariner_09, August 5, 2015, 9:13pm; Reply: 24
I think we need a striker rather than a wide man. if we have 3 strikers, then Arnold can be a wide player too.

Maybe another central midfielder. I was surprised Hurst didn't sign one originally.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 5, 2015, 9:32pm; Reply: 25
Trying to stay positive but this is all very disappointing. One of the main aims of the close season is to get players to play a system and get use to each others ability and play, yeah this as worked a treat but now come the time you really want to put it into practice the friggin most important part, the main aim etc ...half the fecking squad is injured.

The manager is now frantically scrambling around looking for new players?????? WTF IS GOING ON???

YES WE WANT THE PLAYERS TO HIT THE GROUND RUNNING..... NOT LITERALLY BUT TO FECKING GET UP AGAIN !!!

So now hurst as to start again (during the season) fitting new players in  WHICH WAS WHAT THE CLOSE SEASON WAS FOR FFS
IT COULD ONLY HAPPEN HERE. Didn't the same thing happen last season.
Posted by: speedy, August 5, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Trying to stay positive but this is all very disappointing. One of the main aims of the close season is to get players to play a system and get use to each others ability and play, yeah this as worked a treat but now come the time you really want to put it into practice the friggin most important part, the main aim etc ...half the fecking squad is injured.

The manager is now frantically scrambling around looking for new players?????? WTF IS GOING ON???

YES WE WANT THE PLAYERS TO HIT THE GROUND RUNNING..... NOT LITERALLY BUT TO FECKING GET UP AGAIN !!!

So now hurst as to start again (during the season) fitting new players in  WHICH WAS WHAT THE CLOSE SEASON WAS FOR FFS
IT COULD ONLY HAPPEN HERE.

Yeah, we're deffinetly the only team in history to have players get injured preseason or need to buy players after the season starts...  :o :o
Posted by: acko338, August 5, 2015, 9:36pm; Reply: 27
I think that Bogie will get the call on Saturday if he is fit, match practice or not!
Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2015, 9:41pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from acko338
I think that Bogie will get the call on Saturday if he is fit, match practice or not!

Is that a good idea do you think?

Posted by: speedy, August 5, 2015, 9:49pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Ipswin

Is that a good idea do you think?

IF and it is an if, he is actually fit and ready he should make the bench in my opinion, but only if theres no doubt at all, i'd rather not have him for 1 game than lose him for more
Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 6, 2015, 8:22am; Reply: 30
Id bring Bogle on in last 25 should we need another option. We have a strong squad and injuries will always occur, it's how we deal with replacing the player who's injured. Let's get behind the team and supper whatever 11 are on the pitch at the time.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 6, 2015, 9:21am; Reply: 31
Quoted from BeijingMariner

then why on earth did you say it on a public forum?

Because I was sharing information that I felt might be of interest to others.

Take it as you want.  I've been told some information by someone (who I'm not prepared to unveil).  

I'm not in the game of just starting rumours for the sake of starting them.  In fact I rarely share the limited information I do get fed. To be honest I actually thought the situation with Brown's knees had been mentioned numerous times on here and indeed through outlets such as the Telegraph and Humberside, obviously that's not the case.

If the information is right or wrong, I really don't understand the obsession on this forum with requiring a 'source' for every little bit of news that's not in the mainstream.  If these 'sources' were unveiled do you really think they would share any information in future?

Posted by: diehardmariner, August 6, 2015, 9:33am; Reply: 32

It doesn't seem that sports science and countless years of experience has either prevented injuries or fixed them, does it?

I must confess I am disappointed about the injury situation because I thought we had learned the lesson from last year when the same thing happened. The problem isn't so much the number of games, it's the number of players in the squad in certain position. We are simply short on numbers.

OK some injuries may be niggles but we have 3 of the squad who have hardly played in pre-season. The knock on effect of this is that squad rotation in those friendlies was cut back and other players maybe had to be given too much game time.

Having said that it has been an excellent pre-season in many ways. At least 2 young lads have shown they can fit in the squad and the way the team has played and score goals has been refreshing. I just hope we don't get any more injuries and we can do ourselves justice in August this year.

You can't prevent injuries.  

With the case of Marshall and Brown it was sustained in games, other than insisting that players don't go in for challenges you'll never remove that risk.

Robertson is a bit of a concern but isn't this a knock-on from his injury last season, perhaps from coming back to early to play at Wembley?

For Bogle I'm just reading it as his body is taking time to adjust from part-time training to full-time.  Some players adapt naturally, some take time.  It is a bit disappointing because he's come here with a lot of expectations and we've paid a fee, but I would much rather he pick up these knocks and niggles now rather than mid-November, for example.

I know what you're saying and from looking like we had potentially two good teams to put out, we feel a bit down to the bare bones again.  I'm still confident we've got a very good 11 to put out with decent options on the bench.  This time a year ago we had signed Alan Connell just so we had another striker and bench full of kids and the (at the time) much maligned Craig Clay.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 6, 2015, 5:42pm; Reply: 33
We're jinxed i tell ya.
Posted by: Laddy89, August 6, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 34
Couple of injuries but no need to worry..

McKeown

Tait
Pearson
Gowling
East

Mackreth
Clay
Disley
Monkhouse

Amond
Arnold/Bogle

Sounds great to me..
Posted by: rancido, August 6, 2015, 8:25pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

IT COULD ONLY HAPPEN HERE. Didn't the same thing happen last season.

Talk about over the top !!! We don't have half the squad injured and injuries can occur at any time especially in training. The problem we had last season wasn't just down to injuries - we had three players suspended but hey let's overlook that!
Posted by: Trawler, August 6, 2015, 8:38pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from rancido

Talk about over the top !!! We don't have half the squad injured and injuries can occur at any time especially in training. The problem we had last season wasn't just down to injuries - we had three players suspended but hey let's overlook that!

Facts. They're brilliant.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 6, 2015, 8:49pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from rancido

Trust you to ruin things rancido. Letting facts get in the way of a good rant.ffs
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 11:58pm