Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 5:20pm
Firstly, Jose Hurst is a fuckw1t. Now to the game.

I wouldn't swap one of our players for one of theirs (maybe Macca at the moment, who has the new nickname of clanger in my group) and we even had better players on the bench than they had on the pitch, which begs the question why? Why were they dropped, why were they not brought on at half time and why were they not brought on sooner after going 2-0 behind.

Whatever way you look at it, we are not beating or losing to sides who are nowhere near as good as us. All the pre season optimism is going out of the window and the crowd were very flat today.

We have the players, we have the infrastructure and we have the fans. What we don't have is leadership and a confident side playing with purpose. That is a managerial issue for me and i think we need fresh impetus.

Not angry, not even surprised, just deflated yet again.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 1
Did i say Hurst is a fuckw1t ?
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 31, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from ginnywings
Did i say Hurst is a fuckw1t ?

Twice   ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 31, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 3
Grow a pair Mr Fenty and do it now. He's had his chances however close he came. Time to go.
Posted by: MarinerGaz, August 31, 2015, 5:25pm; Reply: 4
Getting that feeling we will fall short again, even with an improved squad, unless we have stronger direction...not sure who that could/should be?
Posted by: mariner tommy, August 31, 2015, 5:25pm; Reply: 5
Absolutely ridiculous, all the posession in the first half, not a shot on target and go in at half time losing.
Second half again we never looked like scoring, both Amond and Bogle never had a shot on target yet both had at least three chances.
The poorest game I have ever seen Macca play.
Every player was totally ineffective.
I cannot believe how bad we were again.
Totally, totally, totally p***** off. and lost for any more words.

The only consolation is that we play so poor yet we have the best referee I have seen at this level for a long time.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 31, 2015, 5:28pm; Reply: 6
Again should have been clear by the time they scored, wasteful in front of goal. For me you have to play your strongest team every game!!!
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 31, 2015, 5:32pm; Reply: 7
Nail on the head. Complete lack of confidence throughout the team and that's down to the manager. These players are good enough to have won every match this season - instead we've been treated to a succession of defensive clangers and missed chances which have prevented us putting games to bed when we've been on top. I don't think it's time to call for Hurst's head just yet, but if we don't turn it around in the next 2 to 3 games then he's got to go - he's had more than long enough to get us winning consistently but seems incapable of doing so.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 31, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 8
Why bring in a young inexperienced midfielder 21 year old (Robinson) and put him straight into the team over the experienced Clay, I struggle to see the logic in this, We needed an experienced player in (Disley type)
Posted by: Hagrid, August 31, 2015, 5:42pm; Reply: 9
its very very strange, we dominate the game, yet lose, i dont think we actually played too badly, but we lost, and that is worrying, ive never been part of the Hurst out brigade, but can see why others are saying maybe he should go, we've all rallied round this club this summer and its been an awful start, 12 points behind is not acceptable. I dont think we are at panic stations yet but its getting close, poor performances all round today, shocking finishing and dodgy defending, Macca is not the same keeper and needs a rest- we have 100 grand, spend in PH.  do not believe we need to get rid of Paul yet, but more results like that and the crowds will go down, and the confidence we all had is going to drain. Robinson needs to go back to luton- nothing against the lad, but he hasnt added anything, Mackreth infuriates me, their LB was dire and he beat him after the first 10 mins and then didnt do it again throughout the game, I will be at boreham wood next saturday where hopefully we can get the 3 points, taking myself off the fishy for tonight because im bloody down about today
Posted by: MarinerGaz, August 31, 2015, 5:43pm; Reply: 10
Not taken much responsibility during interview...
Posted by: Maringer, August 31, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 11
Completely on top in the first half, getting in behind their full-backs almost at will but wasted the few chances created and offered pretty much no threat from the many corners/set pieces which we won. Then, right on cue, McKeown blunders ridiculously yet again to gift them a goal (and this after he'd got away with a blocked clearance going narrowly wide after he faffed and farted around). You could almost see the team deflate and most of the nervy moments in defence came because they were crapping themselves about having to pass the ball back to him.

Not sure what the answer is with McKeown to be fair as he has generally been excellent for us, but we can't keep on losing points due to his blunders. They hadn't looked like doing anything until he handed them a goal on a plate and 4 goals conceded directly from his errors in just 7 games is just dreadful. It's more errors than you would expect a decent keeper to make in the course of a whole season.

Second half, we began brightly enough and Amond should perhaps have done better with the best effort we had of the half (though it wasn't as easy as the one he put over the bar in the first half), but most of our threat had been negated by the time they scored their second. In fact, the performance practically fell apart when Marshall was substituted on the hour. Their second goal (and second effort on target!) came from their best piece of possession and movement and an excellent finish, albeit aided and abetted by lax defending.

After that, we were simply woeful in most of our game. Clay and Robinson were mostly invisible in the second half and I'm sorry to say that neither looks nearly good enough to be playing regularly in a team looking to win the Conference (yeah, I know it's not going to happen this season). Arnold had a stinker, as did Pittman and Disley did virtually nothing either.

Macclesfield worked hard, defended OK (no more than that), had a bit more nouse and energy in central midfield and that was enough for them to win pretty comfortably in the end.

Once again, I reckon we'd have won the game had we taken the lead though one of our various first half chances. We are certainly creating more chances this season but we're certainly not converting enough of them.

The big weakness for me is that we've got pretty much no aerial threat up front when Bogle and Amond are playing together and Monkhouse is on the bench. Though we were poor for much of the second half, we still had 4 decent headed chances, most of them without any challenge but failed to get a single one on target. Amond headed wide but Bogle missed another 3 himself including one right at the death which looked easier to get on target than not.

I feel that Hurst has been too reactionary again today, making too many changes to a team which played well at Lincoln. Dropping Disley, by far our best central midfielder, possibly the biggest error as I thought Mackreth and Marshall did OK on the wings.

That said, we're continuing to leak ridiculous goals this season and it has pretty much put paid to any title hopes already. Hurst is paid to make the difficult decisions and if that means replacing McKeown with either the coach (whose name eludes me at the moment) or getting somebody in on loan, then now is the time to do it.
Posted by: MarinerMart, August 31, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 12
Warrington isn't it? I'd have no worries if he played no point wasting money on a loan....if Mckewon was every dropped that is
Posted by: oldun, August 31, 2015, 6:22pm; Reply: 13
Another smash and grab by a poor team at Blundell Park. Sounds familiar eh? Well in these sort of games  you have to score first . We were on top in the first half but failed with 2 really clear chances. Then the big gift, When Macca managed to do a repeat of his bloomer at Altrincham. Earlier he had almost gifted them 2 others. Now they had something to hang on to so defended in numbers. Again we failed to convert  chances which came our way. They then manage to break away and score with a good finish from the edge of the box. It was then game over and no amount of changes would make any difference. For his own sake Macca has to be taken out of the firing line, his confidence is shot to bits. So Paul hit the phones and get a keeper in on loan for a couple of months. There must be plenty of decent stoppers out there not getting games. You gave my permission to use some of the fighting fund.
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2015, 6:30pm; Reply: 14
Scored first we'd have won but we just aren't clinical. Disley has to be first name on the team sheet for me and I'd like to see us use the OpPromo money on a big nasty but capable midfielder to go with him. Robinson was better first half today and showed glimpses but we're 12 points behind and we can't wait for him to get fit, he spends too much of the game invisible. McKeown needs to be dropped for his sake, Warrington or a loanee but he needs time out of the firing line. Macc were poor but if we keep gifting goals to teams then we allow them to park the bus. We need to start being clinical!

Not quite panic stations but getting very close. If it doesn't improve in the next two or three weeks then I might start calling for a change of manager. The ingredients are there, we're not mixing them properly.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, August 31, 2015, 6:30pm; Reply: 15
My mate let me off early today so it was an unplanned and unexpected trip to BP.
I'm going to hit him tomorrow.
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 31, 2015, 6:36pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from oldun
Another smash and grab by a poor team at Blundell Park. Sounds familiar eh? Well in these sort of games  you have to score first . We were on top in the first half but failed with 2 really clear chances. Then the big gift, When Macca managed to do a repeat of his bloomer at Altrincham. Earlier he had almost gifted them 2 others. Now they had something to hang on to so defended in numbers. Again we failed to convert  chances which came our way. They then manage to break away and score with a good finish from the edge of the box. It was then game over and no amount of changes would make any difference. For his own sake Macca has to be taken out of the firing line, his confidence is shot to bits. So Paul hit the phones and get a keeper in on loan for a couple of months. There must be plenty of decent stoppers out there not getting games. You gave my permission to use some of the fighting fund.

You'd think that would be the logical solution, but when asked after the match Hurst said he wasn't looking at bringing in another keeper on loan... :o
Posted by: bobbyturtle, August 31, 2015, 6:36pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GYinScuntland
My mate let me off early today so it was an unplanned and unexpected trip to BP.
I'm going to hit him tomorrow.

That brightened up my day ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 31, 2015, 6:37pm; Reply: 18
I said a few times that Macca came back too soon from his illness,

He needs to be sent to lie down on a nice warm beach somewhere for a few weeks,

When fully recovered I am sure he will be back to his best,
Posted by: Maringer, August 31, 2015, 6:38pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from mariner91
Scored first we'd have won but we just aren't clinical. Disley has to be first name on the team sheet for me and like to see us use the OpPromo money on a big nasty but capable midfielder to go with him.

Yep, completely in agreement with this.

The fact that Hurst (and Scott) have never gone for a big, strong athletic midfielder has always baffled me. Niven was probably the most athletic one we've had but he wasn't much of a ball player and I think the fact that Disley is our quickest and most mobile midfielder (even at his age!) is very telling. Today, Macclesfield had the experience of Whitaker with a couple of younger runners alongside him doing the legwork and they put our two to shame in the second half.

Stick somebody a bit like Pond alongside Disley and we'd be in a much stronger position.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, August 31, 2015, 6:40pm; Reply: 20
As I saw it , our corners were crap, got behind them a lot then a crap cross into the box. Useless goalkeeping for first goal, crap finishing from us, we lost again and 12 points behind in August ffs crap crap crap.

My misses will get it tonight that will probs be crap to round of a crap miserable bank holiday weekend, oh and fractured my foot intercourse off
Posted by: oldun, August 31, 2015, 6:40pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from mariner91
Scored first we'd have won but we just aren't clinical. Disley has to be first name on the team sheet for me and I'd like to see us use the OpPromo money on a big nasty but capable midfielder to go with him. Robinson was better first half today and showed glimpses but we're 12 points behind and we can't wait for him to get fit, he spends too much of the game invisible. McKeown needs to be dropped for his sake, Warrington or a loanee but he needs time out of the firing line. Macc were poor but if we keep gifting goals to teams then we allow them to park the bus. We need to start being clinical!

Not quite panic stations but getting very close. If it doesn't improve in the next two or three weeks then I might start calling for a change of manager. The ingredients are there, we're not mixing them properly.

Completely agree.

Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Maringer

The fact that Hurst (and Scott) have never gone for a big, strong athletic midfielder has always baffled me. Niven was probably the most athletic one we've had but he wasn't much of a ball player and I think the fact that Disley is our quickest and most mobile midfielder (even at his age!) is very telling. Today, Macclesfield had the experience of Whitaker with a couple of younger runners alongside him doing the legwork and they put our two to shame in the second half.

Stick somebody a bit like Pond alongside Disley and we'd be in a much stronger position.

I'm starting to wonder if Danny East could be the legs to go in there. I'm sure I've read that he's capable of playing across midfield as well as at full back?
Posted by: ackomariner, August 31, 2015, 6:46pm; Reply: 23
urine poor from the manager and the players today

No more to say....
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2015, 6:46pm; Reply: 24
The other thing that really gripped my shit today was terrible deliveries from great positions. Mackreth should have worked out by now that he cannot cross for love nor money so if he gets in behind the full back as he was doing today then he has to be hitting the by line and pulling it back. If you get there and pull it back across the six yard box and no striker is attacking the near post, that's the strikers fault and you've done your job. We've got two smart strikers, one of them will be there. If not, it's still a difficult ball to deal with and it may bobble into the box for a midfield runner or go out for a corner. We cannot keep wasting our good play like we do. At times in the first half we were splitting them apart only for the final ball to be lacking. Corners are shite too.
Posted by: RonMariner, August 31, 2015, 6:47pm; Reply: 25
12 points adrift in August! Jesus wept.

And we have had such an easy fixture list up to this point.

We are losing to garbage. We are gifting goals like a demented Santa.

It is so unbelievably inept that it is almost as if they are doing it on purpose.

Sickening.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 31, 2015, 6:48pm; Reply: 26
Mackreth bloody annoys me! he's got skill and speed as we all know but he is just to negative in his play.
Posted by: LH, August 31, 2015, 6:52pm; Reply: 27
When has Mackreth been fast? It's a myth.
Posted by: BIGChris, August 31, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 28
So predictable.

Too many changes followed by too many non performances. I was gobsmacked that Mackreth got MOM. First half he was played in time and time again and never once delivered a threatening ball. Total waste! Although on top for 40 odd mins did we really create much? Almond was set up by Bogle but blasted well over, Bogle fell over when on a half chance but frankly for Al our domination we didn't trouble their keeper.

McKeowns howler can't go in noticed. The lad IS a good keeper but his confidence and judgement are shot. Should be told we are bringing in an experience guy on a months loan and take him out the firing line.

I would have loved to be a Macc defender today. Can't remember once when Towns central mid made a run to pull the back four apart. When they are sat 40/50 yards from goal & side by side they are no threat to an organised unit.

Let's be frank Mac are no great shakes but from their point of view a classic away error,acne. Defended well and scored from their 2 efforts on target.

The natives are getting very restless. 4200 home fans again but I guarantee not many will be back a week on Saturday. Lose to Borehamwood and Alan Algae or whatever's tweet may well come true!
Posted by: gb, August 31, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 29
Poor all round. Didn't look like winning and I hate saying it but is it time to change? I dunno but the realisation that we ain't going up this with the fact I'm back at work tomorrow isn't doing me much good!
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 30
Forgot to say in my first post that Mackreth was awful and how he lasted 90 mins, i'll never know. Hurst probably took off the more dangerous Marshall because he was "tired". Even then, Mackreth should have also gone to be replaced by Monkhouse on the left and switch Arnold to the right. In fact, that should have been done at half time. In fact x2, we should have started with Arnold and Monkey. Tired my ar$e. 6 fooking games into the season ffs.

I wasn't angry when i left the ground but the more i think about it, the more angry i get. Hurst said the other week that his aim is to have 2 good players for every position. Then what about the keeper you idiot?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 31, 2015, 7:12pm; Reply: 31
I posted on another thread mckreth mom lol lol sat in the main stand just as it was announced .....  I couldn't believe it,Yeh he's got pace but can't cross a ball very rarely beats a man so all in all not much of a winger is he. Unfortunately he's not the only problem far from it
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 31, 2015, 7:21pm; Reply: 32
Macca kicking error nearly results in a goal.  Then his handling error gives a goal away at a critical time (nothing new this season).

The defence look unsettled and concede again (nothing new).

Both strikers miss good chances (nothing new).

We have enough chances to win the game - but don't (nothing new, on both counts).

The opposition score from very few chances (nothing new).

We are 12 points behind FGR (This is new - and unexpected).  
Posted by: barralad, August 31, 2015, 7:25pm; Reply: 33
Just back and somewhat disheartened by today's events.  When your regular choice forwards both leave their shooting boots in the dressing room any manager would be in trouble. I listened to Alan Buckley on R.H. on the way home (I could actually listen to Buckley's views on the noble art of football 24/7) and he suggested that you need a "Craig" in the middle of the park-I'm assuming he meant Disley. The natural question to ask after that would have been to refer to whether he was match fit but unfortunately it wasn't asked. Disley isn't getting any younger (according to some on here his legs went ages ago) and he played like a man possessed on Saturday especially after the sending off. I don't ever think I've seen him play better and he is the only player I've ever given a 10 to in the match ratings. It cannot be that it is as simple as players must be able to play two games in 48 hours and you have to trust the judgement of the professional team that look after his welfare. What it does say though is that if we have to rely on him so much that is a clear weakness in what we have termed our strongest squad for years (although I readily accept that some posters on here had identified that a while ago.) After that (not so) brief diversion back to the point in hand. As is well chronicled on here I'm not Mackreth's biggest fan but I thought for the first half he was excellent. He got forward-a lot-and whipped in some decent crosses. Robinson also began well. He was in the thick of most of our decent moves in the first half and it was him generally who gave Mackreth the ball to do his stuff with. It is easy to blame Macca for the goal and he must take a lot of the flak but I'm amazed that both full backs have got away so lightly. Their guy put the cross in far too easily with Robertson a distinctly uninterested stander-by and Macca may have been worried about the guy who was stood on his own at the back post. At Alty I was utterly convinced that the ball was going out. I'm nowhere near as sure (and I was sat/stood in virtually the same position at both games) about today. As it happens Macca's weak flap did nowt to improve the situation. There is never a good time to concede a goal but some are far worse than others. No time to right the wrong before half time and it showed across the team in the body language.
Second half not only did Robinson disappear but for most of the time Clay joined him! I fully believe in the idea that football these days is a squad game but Marshall reminded me today of the Marshall we had the second time he was loaned to us. I've read a post that said that he was just getting into the game when he was subbed!? WTF!? He should have been busting a gut to ensure that Hurst couldn't think of a team sheet without his name on it. It was a tall order to expect JPP and Arnold to save the day especially given the formers lack of game time and I can barely remember Dis touching the ball. There is a whole thread devoted to "The strongest side". Well after today and the woeful in front of goal shenanigans I'm not even sure I know what our strongest front pair is. One of the best things about this season is that the service to the strikers is almost infintely better than last year. MOM (although it's a bit of a white elephant) Toto...
Finally a request:- Tempers are understandably a bit frayed on here tonight but it would be great if people could resist rubbishing Operation Promotion or using it as a stick to beat Paul Hurst and the club with. I'm not bothered for myself but there are people-some of whom post on here who have given up (and continue to do so) vast amounts of time to help with it-including people who work nights and then delay going to bed until they've processed rewards etc.
Posted by: lee65, August 31, 2015, 7:26pm; Reply: 34
Lot of people highlighting the number of changes, but when I heard the team (apart from starting MacKreth) I thought it was good enough.
First 20 minutes we looked good, but our finishing was poor, then McKeown does an "Alty" and we went down hill from there.
Do we have no one who can cross or head?
Posted by: DNMariner, August 31, 2015, 7:27pm; Reply: 35
Get an experienced goalkeeper in on loan, and give McKeown a prolonged break - I've always had my doubts over McKeown as a keeper (always acknowledged his shot-stopping ability but there's a lot more than that to a goalkeeper) and I just feel on edge every time a cross comes in to our box. If I'm feeling like that watching, I imagine it's twice as bad for our back four. Given McKeown's ineptitude with backpasses of late, I imagine that's another thing putting pressure on our defence - rather than feeling comfortable rolling it back to McKeown and resetting the play, our defence will be more inclined to turn out and clear it themselves.

Sometimes I question myself as to whether I'm too harsh on McKeown, but I'd be willing to put money on the amount of goals we conceded last season through him not claiming a cross outweighing the amount of goalbound attempts he stopped through a spectacular save. Time and time again we've seen the ball come across the 6 yard box allowing a tap-in at the back post, followed by McKeown tearing off his line to bollock his defence. If he was as inclined to come off his line in open play, he might not find himself in the situation where he feels the need to blame those in front of him...
Posted by: barralad, August 31, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from mariner91

I'm starting to wonder if Danny East could be the legs to go in there. I'm sure I've read that he's capable of playing across midfield as well as at full back?

That's not a bad shout....
Posted by: barralad, August 31, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from mariner91
The other thing that really gripped my shit today was terrible deliveries from great positions. Mackreth should have worked out by now that he cannot cross for love nor money so if he gets in behind the full back as he was doing today then he has to be hitting the by line and pulling it back. If you get there and pull it back across the six yard box and no striker is attacking the near post, that's the strikers fault and you've done your job. We've got two smart strikers, one of them will be there. If not, it's still a difficult ball to deal with and it may bobble into the box for a midfield runner or go out for a corner. We cannot keep wasting our good play like we do. At times in the first half we were splitting them apart only for the final ball to be lacking. Corners are shite too.

As I've said I thought Jack put in a couple or three decent crosses early doors but nowhere near consistent enough...
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 7:36pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from barralad
Just back and somewhat disheartened by today's events.  When your regular choice forwards both leave their shooting boots in the dressing room any manager would be in trouble. I listened to Alan Buckley on R.H. on the way home (I could actually listen to Buckley's views on the noble art of football 24/7) and he suggested that you need a "Craig" in the middle of the park-I'm assuming he meant Disley. The natural question to ask after that would have been to refer to whether he was match fit but unfortunately it wasn't asked. Disley isn't getting any younger (according to some on here his legs went ages ago) and he played like a man possessed on Saturday especially after the sending off. I don't ever think I've seen him play better and he is the only player I've ever given a 10 to in the match ratings. It cannot be that it is as simple as players must be able to play two games in 48 hours and you have to trust the judgement of the professional team that look after his welfare. What it does say though is that if we have to rely on him so much that is a clear weakness in what we have termed our strongest squad for years (although I readily accept that some posters on here had identified that a while ago.) After that (not so) brief diversion back to the point in hand. As is well chronicled on here I'm not Mackreth's biggest fan but I thought for the first half he was excellent. He got forward-a lot-and whipped in some decent crosses. Robinson also began well. He was in the thick of most of our decent moves in the first half and it was him generally who gave Mackreth the ball to do his stuff with. It is easy to blame Macca for the goal and he must take a lot of the flak but I'm amazed that both full backs have got away so lightly. Their guy put the cross in far too easily with Robertson a distinctly uninterested stander-by and Macca may have been worried about the guy who was stood on his own at the back post. At Alty I was utterly convinced that the ball was going out. I'm nowhere near as sure (and I was sat/stood in virtually the same position at both games) about today. As it happens Macca's weak flap did nowt to improve the situation. There is never a good time to concede a goal but some are far worse than others. No time to right the wrong before half time and it showed across the team in the body language.
Second half not only did Robinson disappear but for most of the time Clay joined him! I fully believe in the idea that football these days is a squad game but Marshall reminded me today of the Marshall we had the second time he was loaned to us. I've read a post that said that he was just getting into the game when he was subbed!? WTF!? He should have been busting a gut to ensure that Hurst couldn't think of a team sheet without his name on it. It was a tall order to expect JPP and Arnold to save the day especially given the formers lack of game time and I can barely remember Dis touching the ball. There is a whole thread devoted to "The strongest side". Well after today and the woeful in front of goal shenanigans I'm not even sure I know what our strongest front pair is. One of the best things about this season is that the service to the strikers is almost infintely better than last year. MOM (although it's a bit of a white elephant) Toto...
Finally a request:- Tempers are understandably a bit frayed on here tonight but it would be great if people could resist rubbishing Operation Promotion or using it as a stick to beat Paul Hurst and the club with. I'm not bothered for myself but there are people-some of whom post on here who have given up (and continue to do so) vast amounts of time to help with it-including people who work nights and then delay going to bed until they've processed rewards etc.

Agreed. Not mentioned it myself and for me it has no bearing on our current position. Money will only take a team so far as plenty of wealthy sides have discovered. I'm more bothered about the waning optimism among the fans.
Posted by: barralad, August 31, 2015, 7:36pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from lee65
Lot of people highlighting the number of changes, but when I heard the team (apart from starting MacKreth) I thought it was good enough.
First 20 minutes we looked good, but our finishing was poor, then McKeown does an "Alty" and we went down hill from there.
Do we have no one who can cross or head?

Just about everyone who came in today has had people on here saying they should be in the team on a permanent basis. Tait, Marshall, and particularly Clay fall into that category...which leaves.....
Posted by: 935 (Guest), August 31, 2015, 7:37pm; Reply: 40
Constantly amazed by the lack of objectivity on here... see its Hurst out again! Listening to Alan Buckley he said town dominated, didnt take their chances, one goal was a cracker one a mistake by the goal keeper... Moving forwards support the team to better performances..
Posted by: barralad, August 31, 2015, 7:38pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

Agreed. Not mentioned it myself and for me it has no bearing on our current position. Money will only take a team so far as plenty of wealthy sides have discovered. I'm more bothered about the waning optimism among the fans.

Cheers Ginny means a lot to have the poster I consider to be the best on here's support...
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 7:40pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from 935
Constantly amazed by the lack of objectivity on here... see its Hurst out again! Listening to Alan Buckley he said town dominated, didnt take their chances, one goal was a cracker one a mistake by the goal keeper... Moving forwards support the team to better performances..

That's football. The manager ultimately carries the can for poor results. Some would say that he isn't getting the best out of the players and maybe another manager would.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 31, 2015, 7:45pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from barralad

Operation Promotion, The Feelgood Factor, #thistownknows are all well and good if they are backed by the club top to bottom. Our friend the Tinkerman has managed to bury that in the last fortnight.

Until and unless someone holds him to account, we are going nowhere and face another year of non-league. I'm reliably informed that a club director has called this a make-or-break season, particularly with a view to the ground development and hence the club's future, if today's anything to go by, it's break.

Paul Hurst chose today to rest five professional footballers, including to change an entire midfield - how in God's name is that going to work? Macclesfield fielded 10 out the same 11 that played on Saturday in a hard-fought derby. Sure, Diz and Monkey are getting on, so why not start one and bring the other one on later - it's not rocket science is it?
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 31, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 44
Posted a question on the match thread about how many changes Macc made and I understand it was one. A key thing for me is playing your strongest team whenever you can. To not do this today, made it easy for the Macc manager. It showed them a lack of respect and they eventually grew from that. Burst has got to stop fannying about with the team and stop it soon. He loses so much credibility by then calling anyone who challenges his decisions. Overall this season things have been much better in terms of the football, so I'm prepared to give a little, but not much more. As for Macca, he's trying too hard for whatever reason, possibly his illness. He's doing things that don't really come naturally to him and as a result he's doing them badly. Him and Warrington need to deal with it.
All not lost yet, but we shall soon have to get our excrement together.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 31, 2015, 8:00pm; Reply: 45
I have said several times East can play midfield,

He has the energy to run from box to box all game,

Barralad, where is my Harry ?

Not lost in transit from China I hope. ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 31, 2015, 8:02pm; Reply: 46
Sorry if already posted, Hurst interview

https://audioboom.com/boos/3520806-gtfc-manager-paul-hurst-talking-to-humbersidesport-after-their-2-0-defeat-to-macclesfield
Posted by: barralad, August 31, 2015, 8:08pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Operation Promotion, The Feelgood Factor, #thistownknows are all well and good if they are backed by the club top to bottom. Our friend the Tinkerman has managed to bury that in the last fortnight.

Until and unless someone holds him to account, we are going nowhere and face another year of non-league. I'm reliably informed that a club director has called this a make-or-break season, particularly with a view to the ground development and hence the club's future, if today's anything to go by, it's break.

Paul Hurst chose today to rest five professional footballers, including to change an entire midfield - how in God's name is that going to work? Macclesfield fielded 10 out the same 11 that played on Saturday in a hard-fought derby. Sure, Diz and Monkey are getting on, so why not start one and bring the other one on later - it's not rocket science is it?

No it isn't rocket science but neither is it necessary to use it to beat Hurst with. The point could have been at least as adequately made without the reference. Anyway sorry we weren't able to arrange the pick up of your pledge. We hope to have all items posted out by the weekend...
Posted by: barralad, August 31, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from BIGChris
So predictable.

Too many changes followed by too many non performances. I was gobsmacked that Mackreth got MOM. First half he was played in time and time again and never once delivered a threatening ball. Total waste! Although on top for 40 odd mins did we really create much? Almond was set up by Bogle but blasted well over, Bogle fell over when on a half chance but frankly for Al our domination we didn't trouble their keeper.

McKeowns howler can't go in noticed. The lad IS a good keeper but his confidence and judgement are shot. Should be told we are bringing in an experience guy on a months loan and take him out the firing line.

I would have loved to be a Macc defender today. Can't remember once when Towns central mid made a run to pull the back four apart. When they are sat 40/50 yards from goal & side by side they are no threat to an organised unit.

Let's be frank Mac are no great shakes but from their point of view a classic away error,acne. Defended well and scored from their 2 efforts on target.

The natives are getting very restless. 4200 home fans again but I guarantee not many will be back a week on Saturday. Lose to Borehamwood and Alan Algae or whatever's tweet may well come true!

Spot on! Methinks one has been imbibing too much of MacMenemy's hospitality... :)
Posted by: Tommy, August 31, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 49
It's hard work being a Town fan isn't it.

So so frustrating.

A one-sided game in terms of possession and territorial play, however we did not work the Macclesfield goalkeeper at all and gave him one of the easiest clean sheets he will get, especially away at a team supposedly challengers for the title.

The 1st goal was a sucker punch as we weren't that bad in the first half. Weren't great but we threaded some good balls through and got into some good positions where we should've done better. Amond should've certainly hit the target (and I'd argue, scored) when Bogle set one for him on the edge of the 18.

The 2nd goal was less of a surprise as we had run out of ideas going forward. Just seemed an easy goal for them to score though, our players all over the place in the build up and no challenge on a guy waiting for the ball to drop before he hits a volley 18 yards out.

Don't know what Robinson did in the game. Can't remember him having the ball or doing anything more than 2 or 3 times.

Clay looks like he's been knocked back a step as a result of being dropped. Didn't have the same confidence and arrogant swagger he showed in the first few games when he was bossing games.

Mackreth looked like he was going to have a good afternoon when he gave the full back a roasting in the first 2 minutes. Unfortunately he didn't have the confidence to do it again for another 70 minutes. His crossing was also poor when he did get into positions, although he was not alone in this - Tait being the only one who put a couple of decent balls into the box.

Bogle 1st half was looking our best player, making things happen. Unlucky to slip when he could have scored. 2nd half got no joy.

We just looked like every time we got into the attacking third, we had no idea what to do. Could have got Arnold on a bit earlier or even put him on in a free role behind the front 2 as picks up good positions and he's good at twisting and turning away from players in tight areas.

Macca - as others have said, he would benefit from being taken out of the firing line for 3/4 weeks, but do we want to spend money from the budget on a goalie? Hurst definitely wouldn't have planned on having to do that.

I'd described this game previously as almost being a "must-win" game. To lose it, and especially without the 2nd half onslaught you'd expect a team challenging for the league to throw at them, is very very worrying.

Where do we go from here?
Posted by: supertown, August 31, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 50
I really don't get the number of changes in a few games , we seem to havd a good squad but no idea how to use it
Posted by: AndyGTFC, August 31, 2015, 8:18pm; Reply: 51
Can't believe the title is almost gone already, you wonder why you bother sometimes. This was the perfect chance to make a good start for a change and we've ballsed it up again. Watching Town is so monotonous.

Even with the changes, we should've won but god knows why we changed half the team for the second home game running. It's just not necessary. Disley and Monkhouse obviously can't play every minute of every game at their age but we definitely missed their calmness on the ball today. Why Robinson is starting all the time is also beyond me because he offers nothing. I thought we were just bringing him in to give us cover in centre midfield whilst Brown is out but he's seemingly undroppable.

We dominated most of the game today without really testing their keeper but the crossing and finishing was woeful and we can't keep the ball out of the back of the net at the other end. McKeown's been a cracking keeper with us but definitely needs taking out of the firing line for his own sake.

Keep this up for another few games and there will be serious pressure on Hurst's job.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 31, 2015, 8:24pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from barralad

No it isn't rocket science but neither is it necessary to use it to beat Hurst with. The point could have been at least as adequately made without the reference. Anyway sorry we weren't able to arrange the pick up of your pledge. We hope to have all items posted out by the weekend...

Agree entirely, but the club and the fans (I hope) will be here long after Hurst's tenure. Failing to assert against poor teams was ultimately the reason we didn't win the league last year, and seven games in, history seems to be repeating itself.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 31, 2015, 8:26pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree entirely, but the club and the fans (I hope) will be here long after Hurst's tenure. Failing to assert against poor teams was ultimately the reason we didn't win the league last year, and seven games in, history seems to be repeating itself.

Most of us were here long before Hurst,

AND

Most of us will be here long after he has gone,

When that will be is up to how he can turn things round or not.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), August 31, 2015, 8:27pm; Reply: 54
Where to begin?

All over the place. Yes, we had possession, but sadly we had little idea what to do with it.

Once the substitutions were made we looked shapeless and desperate. No one knew what to do any more.

Strikers had an off day. I prefer East to Tait. McKeown's issues detailed in length everywhere else.

Mackreth reminds me of Steve Saunders (remember him?!). Runs all day, generally in straight lines. Can't fault his effort. Can't get past anyone either.

Hate picking on a player, but for the good of the team and Robinson's confidence, please give him back.

No invention at all without Monkhouse in the side.

I still think we have a very good team. I just wish Hurst would stop twatting around with it.
Posted by: Tommy, August 31, 2015, 8:39pm; Reply: 55
I'd also add that today was the poorest I'd seen Robertson as left back.

He was definitely limping towards the end of the 1st half, wincing when he had to make a spring near the dugout and I was sure he wouldn't be coming back out for the second half.

He did and was quite sloppy with his passing and touches today. Not like him, so i'll forgive him. But wonder whether he's not really fully fit.
Posted by: Maringer, August 31, 2015, 8:41pm; Reply: 56
Robertson looks very slow of thought and deed at the moment. Probably not up to full speed yet following his injury and he did get clobbered by their full-back in the first half as well. Hopefully, he can get back to the sort of form which made him so valuable last season.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 8:54pm; Reply: 57
And yet Robertson survived the night of the long knives and was deemed not tired enough to be left out despite only just returning from long term injury and being no spring chicken.  :-/
Posted by: Tony_GTFC, August 31, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 58
Can't understand why Mackreth is made such a scapegoat. Is it his fault that Bogle missed a hatful? I though Mackreth put some great crosses in during the game. If a couple of Bogle's chances had gone in the first half everyone would have been applauded off the pitch. Some supporters are such sheep jumping on Mackreth's back just because one or two people pick on him.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 9:17pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Tony_GTFC
Can't understand why Mackreth is made such a scapegoat. Is it his fault that Bogle missed a hatful? I though Mackreth put some great crosses in during the game. If a couple of Bogle's chances had gone in the first half everyone would have been applauded off the pitch. Some supporters are such sheep jumping on Mackreth's back just because one or two people pick on him.

Or perhaps we're right and he's not very good.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 31, 2015, 9:18pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Tony_GTFC

Maybe cos he's a winger who can't beat a man or cross a ball accurately
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 31, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from ginnywings
And yet Robertson survived the night of the long knives and was deemed not tired enough to be left out despite only just returning from long term injury and being no spring chicken.  :-/

I posted on another thread a few days ago I wasn't that impressed with Robertson and thought he was very poor today and went AWOL for their first goal.
Posted by: ackomariner, August 31, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from arryarryarry

I posted on another thread a few days ago I wasn't that impressed with Robertson and thought he was very poor today and went AWOL for their first goal.

And gave the ball away numerous times too
Posted by: Tommy, August 31, 2015, 9:44pm; Reply: 63
Their first goal came just after Robertson had been limping around and struggled to sprint to see a ball out near the dugout. They then played a ball down the channel in behind Pearson and Robertson. Robertson was never going to get back there so Pearson had to come across. From there, Pearson's out of the middle and Robertson struggling to get back to help, cross comes in, Macca comes and flaps (just punch it and get some distance on it) and the ball comes back across to our disorganised defence and in it goes.

That's how I remember it anyway, and I remember saying just before that, that Robertson looked like he was struggling but just trying to get through to half time.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 31, 2015, 9:45pm; Reply: 64
Robertson slows the pace of the game down.

Massively overrated imo.
Posted by: buckstown, August 31, 2015, 9:47pm; Reply: 65
Well, that was my second game this season. Left Kiddy thinking we were above average and they were rubbish. Any decent side would have buried them but we gifted them a point.
Left today thinking we are average and Macc are rubbish. Bottom line is I don't think this team is anywhere near as good as a lot of posters on here.
We look physically weak and McKreth epitomises the problem. (couldn't quite believe Marshall got pulled instead of McKreth) Look at Barnet, Brizzle, Luton and they were physically imposing and athletic. Outside the defence only Bogle has any presence and can hold the ball up. Thought he'd improved since Kiddy and when his football brain develops he'll be an enormous asset
Not sure what's happened to McKeown but the goal was a calamity almost identical to the Altrincham. Could be that our defence has also lost confidence in him.
Thought Robinson looked ok but ran out of gas after an hour but Disley made no discernable difference
Summary: this side cannot win this league and won't even make the play offs. We make average teams look ok
Posted by: whitevanman, August 31, 2015, 9:47pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Mackreth bloody annoys me! he's got skill and speed as we all know but he is just to negative in his play.

Mackreth shouldn't be here in my opinion. He arrived last season with such a fanfare but hasn't really delivered. Had no end product last season and none this, plays the ball back too many times for my liking. As for Marshall, I didn't shed a tear when he left the first time, but I shed a tear when he came back this season. Loses the ball too many times and too chicken sh*t to get stuck in

Posted by: ackomariner, August 31, 2015, 9:50pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from buckstown
Well, that was my second game this season. Left Kiddy thinking we were above average and they were rubbish. Any decent side would have buried them but we gifted them a point.
Left today thinking we are average and Macc are rubbish. Bottom line is I don't think this team is anywhere near as good as a lot of posters on here.
We look physically weak and McKreth epitomises the problem. (couldn't quite believe Marshall got pulled instead of McKreth) Look at Barnet, Brizzle, Luton and they were physically imposing and athletic. Outside the defence only Bogle has any presence and can hold the ball up. Thought he'd improved since Kiddy and when his football brain develops he'll be an enormous asset
Not sure what's happened to McKeown but the goal was a calamity almost identical to the Altrincham. Could be that our defence has also lost confidence in him.
Thought Robinson looked ok but ran out of gas after an hour but Disley made no discernable difference
Summary: this side cannot win this league and won't even make the play offs. We make average teams look ok

How I see it this season too

Top post IMO  ;)
Posted by: Tommy, August 31, 2015, 9:54pm; Reply: 68
I think Mackreth and Marshall are fine as squad players and to come in and do a job now and then. But in Monkhouse and Arnold we have two players who have real footballing brains and our play is not as good or incisive without them.

Makreth and Marshall may have pace on their side but Arnold and Monkhouse are streets ahead in terms of ability and intelligence.
Posted by: easypeersy, August 31, 2015, 9:57pm; Reply: 69

Absolutely shocking!
Absolutely gutted!
Absolutely shite manager!
Absolutely total waste of money!

Never felt so low!
And after all the pre season hype!
What the hell is going on?

That is all !
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 31, 2015, 10:02pm; Reply: 70
I agreed with Hurst on the whole, we created plenty of chances, had Podge not blazed over, or Bogle not fallen over, we'd all be saying that Hurst was a tactical genius for freshening it up.
Posted by: marinerjase, August 31, 2015, 10:17pm; Reply: 71
If you are going to win the league you need better than Makreth. That said..fair few others not performing. Already been said re McKeown, Robertson etc. But the midfield central still remains the problem, has been all along the Hurst reign. Today there was nothing..physically weak, lack of energy, lack of thought, desire in the middle. Clay was dropped after starting season well but today he didnt produce anything. Robinson has been thrown in, not match fit when brought in - not his fault, Hurst says only bring players in if feel can improve the side - but he surely has got that signing wrong. Furthermore unnecessarily taken any confidence Clay had away. The message sent re dropping players, ie Pearson , has backfired imho.

This week they need to get together collectively, manager included, thrash out any issues/clashes/blame and hold hands up, leave it there and start again. Players can be good enough pending right selection, need a couple of bodies in to improve but the squad should have the quality in to compete. Unfortunately they have now put themselves in a position in which they cant afford another bad month. More to the point - the club cant afford it. All the positivity has gone, already 800 off home gate, and supporters dissilusioned.  
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 10:22pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from whitevanman

Mackreth shouldn't be here in my opinion. He arrived last season with such a fanfare but hasn't really delivered. Had no end product last season and none this, plays the ball back too many times for my liking. As for Marshall, I didn't shed a tear when he left the first time, but I shed a tear when he came back this season. Loses the ball too many times and too chicken sh*t to get stuck in

Negative first post. This simply won't do.  ;D

Welcome.
Posted by: essexexile, August 31, 2015, 11:13pm; Reply: 73
Afraid it's an old cliche - good sides know how to win and make it happen even when things not going your way and don't want to say it but Town can't do that under Hurst
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 31, 2015, 11:18pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Maringer

We seemed to miss Niven when he wasn't in the side if I remember correctly. Not a good player but seemed to make a difference by breaking up opposition play. Or was that someone else around that time?
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2015, 11:25pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We seemed to miss Niven when he wasn't in the side if I remember correctly. Not a good player but seemed to make a difference by breaking up opposition play. Or was that someone else around that time?

It was Niven. If we could merge Niven with Clay and give that player some legs then we'd have what we need.
Posted by: LH, August 31, 2015, 11:35pm; Reply: 76
Not saying Niven was underrated because he was a bit excrement but we did miss him when he didn't play.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2015, 11:37pm; Reply: 77
Stacy Coldicott used to get slated but we missed him when he didn't play.

Other notable midfielders considered poor yet were missed include James Hunt and Manny Panther.
Posted by: Maringer, August 31, 2015, 11:45pm; Reply: 78
Mackreth was fine today. Did better going forward in the first half than the second but then that was true for everyone. Hardly a Man of the Match performance but then I struggle to think who could have been awarded it, such was the performance as a whole.

Anyway, on reflection, I think one of the most important things we are missing is a bit of footballing intelligence throughout the team. We've got lots of honest, hard-working players but you wouldn't really say that any of them are 'clever' with the ball at feet and the quality of our passing tends to be pretty average at best.

At the back, neither Pearson or Toto (or Gowling, for that matter) have the best distribution in the world, Robertson looks out of sorts at the moment and East struggled a little on the left when he played there. Behind them, we've got McKeown who is suffering a bit of a crisis in confidence and his kicking has never been the best in any case. Despite this, we persist in attempting to play the ball across the back and, as Macclesfield showed today, if you are willing to chase us down, we'll invariably end up moving the ball backwards, ultimately leaving the keeper to clear it upfield (though 30 yards further back than necessary). Way, way too often today, the ball was unnecessarily played laterally across the back to teammates who were under more pressure. Passes for the sake of passing to prove they can 'play football'.

I think some of the reason for this was that (in the second half especially), the midfielders weren't showing for the ball nearly enough. Our best spell of play in the first half saw good interchange between the defence, midfield and forwards but this was in fits and starts as we rarely seem to be capable of keeping up a decent performance for a whole game. Even the two 4-1 victories we've seen this season saw us having good spells followed up by indifference.

I think we could get away with these weaknesses last season in part because we always had LJL running around like a lunatic and, in our best spell, Palmer was also providing a strong, physical presence up front to challenge for and often win the punts from our pressurised defenders. This season, in comparison, neither Bogle or Amond is any good in the air so we're getting very little joy from the long balls we end up playing much of the time. When Monkhouse plays, he adds a couple of things to the team with his aerial ability and quick and simple passing (which Hurst has alluded to) which helps out the forwards and midfielders to some degree, but it's not ideal as he's obviously lacking pace.

Ultimately, I think that we can tighten up the defensive side of the game simply by cutting out most of the errors we are making and worrying less about passing the ball across the back and instead getting it to the midfield more quickly or even putting it up the line into areas for our wingers to attack. Unfortunately, I'm far from convinced that our midfield is going to be good enough to play the link role well enough to get the ball to the feet of our strikers effectively. There is little doubt that Bogle and Amond have a lot of ability between them but we've got to get the ball to them in the right position for them to show it.

I think we still need a striker with a physical presence to give us another option up front and, personally, I'd be happy to see Robinson depart (he offers little different to Clay) and see us sign a more athletic and energetic midfielder to play alongside Disley. I realise it goes against what many have said so far this season, but I've come to the conclusion that Clay (and Brown) aren't likely to be good enough for what we need to mount a promotion challenge.

One thing is for certain, we've just got to get the defence sorted out. Turn defeats into draws and draws into wins and we'll soon be heading up the table but we're just too error-prone at the moment.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 1, 2015, 9:31am; Reply: 79
Some further thoughts:
The team that finished yesterday were not playing as well as the team that finished at Lincoln.

Changing the whole midfield was a big risk too far.  

We have no cover/fit cover for the keeper and the 2 miss-firing strikers. These 3 players were the main reason that we lost.  Hurst has tried to get new strikers in but they have gone elsewhere (the Rovers striker) or Hurst said that he won't settle on second-best.

Why not start yesterday with the 10 that finished Lincoln (plus 1) and see you they do? We have 3 subs to use.   We might be defending a lead at HT instead of being behind.

Too many changes between games has left the players unsettled. The changed are not producing wins.  

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 1, 2015, 9:42am; Reply: 80
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Some further thoughts:
The team that finished yesterday were not playing as well as the team that finished at Lincoln.

Changing the whole midfield was a big risk too far.  

We have no cover/fit cover for the keeper and the 2 miss-firing strikers. These 3 players were the main reason that we lost.  Hurst has tried to get new strikers in but they have gone elsewhere (the Rovers striker) or Hurst said that he won't settle on second-best.

Why not start yesterday with the 10 that finished Lincoln (plus 1) and see you they do? We have 3 subs to use.   We might be defending a lead at HT instead of being behind.

Too many changes between games has left the players unsettled. The changed are not producing wins.  

Agree with most but not all of that. Our midfield should not have been changed in a wholesale way - Robinson was a passenger for most of the game and his lack of effort meant Clay worked double in the first half so was knackered after an hour.

Mackreth was having a lot of success in the first 20 minutes without finding the killer cross and then we stopped feeding him and instead played more through Marshall, who, like first time he was here, flattered to deceive and started passing back to Robertson who was equally ineffective.

All of this was brought on by the manager who made too many unnecessary changes either by trying to be too clever or out of sheer bloody-mindedness.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 1, 2015, 9:49am; Reply: 81
Mckreth was having a lot of success first20, that depends on how you classify success ....yeh he could outpace his man but if you can't do the next bit (cross a ball with some degree of accuracy) being a winger why are you on the pitch ? In my eyes he's not good enough
Posted by: sausage rolls, September 1, 2015, 11:03am; Reply: 82
Just think Macca has only a few of the main attributes for a good goalkeeper and I have always thought he was not good enough even at this level:
1. Short stopping - excellent except for part of last season when he let in a few from long range efforts mid season
2. One on ones- excellent as per his display at Wembley
3. Positional sense - Pretty good normally
4. Crosses - poor. He puts the rest of the defence in a panick as soon as the ball is lifted in to our box. He puts pressure on  our defenders to win the first ball at all costs which often means they are more susceptible to conceeding from the second ball as everyone is in a panick, especially when the opposition have a big lad up front.
5. Distribution  - Terrible either from quick throw outs or long kicks (straight out, no distance or procrastinates until too late))
6. Command of Area - awful and again puts the rest of the defence/team on edge.
Throw in to this his current capacity for howlers and I think we need to look at a more permanent solution to our problems. #
Last season I would not have rated Macca in the top 10 of goalkeepers I saw at Blundell Park and yet we finished third.What could we achieve with a goalkeeper who commands his box, takes most balls pumped in to our box and can start an attack with a quick throw out or accurate punt upfield?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 1, 2015, 11:19am; Reply: 83
Quoted from sausage rolls
Just think Macca has only a few of the main attributes for a good goalkeeper and I have always thought he was not good enough even at this level:
1. Short stopping - excellent except for part of last season when he let in a few from long range efforts mid season
2. One on ones- excellent as per his display at Wembley
3. Positional sense - Pretty good normally
4. Crosses - poor. He puts the rest of the defence in a panick as soon as the ball is lifted in to our box. He puts pressure on  our defenders to win the first ball at all costs which often means they are more susceptible to conceeding from the second ball as everyone is in a panick, especially when the opposition have a big lad up front.
5. Distribution  - Terrible either from quick throw outs or long kicks (straight out, no distance or procrastinates until too late))
6. Command of Area - awful and again puts the rest of the defence/team on edge.
Throw in to this his current capacity for howlers and I think we need to look at a more permanent solution to our problems. #
Last season I would not have rated Macca in the top 10 of goalkeepers I saw at Blundell Park and yet we finished third.What could we achieve with a goalkeeper who commands his box, takes most balls pumped in to our box and can start an attack with a quick throw out or accurate punt upfield?

Fair assessment
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 1, 2015, 11:49am; Reply: 84
Looking at the Cheltenham keeper yesterday on BT Sport,

If we had him in goal this season we would be unbeaten and near the top of the league.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, September 1, 2015, 1:25pm; Reply: 85
we discussed the keeper situation yesterday and agree with S,D&SR
said every keeper we have faced this season so far has looked better than ours :(
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 8:59pm