Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sigone, October 8, 2015, 10:59pm
Need a good memory to recall his GTFC career, but he scored his 1st international goal tonight to help N.I qualify.
Posted by: Maringer, October 8, 2015, 11:38pm; Reply: 1
Good that another British country has qualified as well. Of course, the Jocks have screwed the pooch once again. Tough group for them, however.

A very late Newell era signing (before any alleged tie-wiggling) but he's obviously done well for himself since then. Can't believe he's only 25 now. Just goes to show how much Newell had lost the plot, signing a couple of all but untested teenagers to try and stop the rot!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 8, 2015, 11:48pm; Reply: 2
He was described by someone on the BBC sports page as having the touch of a bouncy castle.  ;D

As for the Scots, they seem to invent new and interesting ways of shooting themselves in the foot, which was compounded by the Republic beating Germany with their one and only chance of the game after being totally outplayed. Football eh!
Posted by: LH, October 8, 2015, 11:58pm; Reply: 3
Scotland will finally get their independence next summer as everyone else will be in France for a few weeks!
Posted by: fiveallive, October 9, 2015, 1:36pm; Reply: 4
He had a brief loan spell from Cardiff City, Stuart watkiss brought him in with Tomi Ameobi and Marvin Kamara if i remember Mike Newell took over and sent them all back he did the hit bar with a great effort if remember. Tomi Ameobi was awful.
Posted by: Maringer, October 9, 2015, 1:41pm; Reply: 5
No, I think it was the other way round. Newell brought them in and Woods sent them back after he took over as caretaker.

God, I'd forgotten about Ameobi. Possibly the most hopeless forward I've ever seen playing for us. He just didn't look as though he had any idea of what he was supposed to be doing on a football pitch - couldn't control the ball, didn't know where to run, didn't do anything at all. Surely a case of dining out on his brother's name, so to speak. The fact he's made a career out of football boggles the mind.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 9, 2015, 1:42pm; Reply: 6
Didn't he break his leg first game for us?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 9, 2015, 2:11pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from fiveallive
He had a brief loan spell from Cardiff City, Stuart watkiss brought him in with Tomi Ameobi and Marvin Kamara if i remember Mike Newell took over and sent them all back he did the hit bar with a great effort if remember. Tomi Ameobi was awful.

Josh's Town career according to Soccerbase was a start against Rochdale in Newell's final game and then a week later coming on as a sub at Bournemouth in Woods' first game in (caretaker) charge

Must have been an eye opener for a teenager coming to our place in that season (09/10)....at least he's moved on and up in the last six years so good luck to the lad with N.I.

My only recollection of Ameobi was when we played at home to Barnet ( 08/09) and lost 1-0 just after AB's last departure which has to go down as one of the worst perfomances I've ever seen from us

I was in the Upper for that game and I remember some people near me leaving with only an hour gone...we were dire and it was clear to see Watkiss didn't have any idea what to do, which must have sealed his fate if he thought he might get the job full time. The worst possible sort of "interview" I guess

Still at least now we have something to feel positive about....as much as we were still in the league then, we weren't half served up with some dross!  ;)
Posted by: RichMariner, October 9, 2015, 3:58pm; Reply: 8
I remember Magennis joining us on loan - he said in his interview that he was equally as comfortable playing in goal!

It's rare you find a professional who can also play between the sticks with some degree of accomplishment.
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 9
I was sure I saw Josh M. play for us and was at the Rochdale match, when we lost 0-2 (so that was probably it), I think O'Grady scored but could be wrong) and Mike Newell was relieved of his duties.
Was a bit of a jinx to be honest, cos was at the Chester  match (2-3) when Sir Alan was relieved of his duties, when I was averaging around 1 home game a season.
Paul is a survivor though.    
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 9, 2015, 7:38pm; Reply: 10
When you look back over the last few years we have had some dross, Disco Des and ten shovels come to mind. It's fair to say this team is a refreshing change in that is as no utter dross in it. Also nice to see players give 110% effort. Watch Clay the lad makes some cracking tackles and wins balls he looks second best to get.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 9, 2015, 9:21pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from fiveallive
Tomi Ameobi and Marvin Kamara

Arnaud Mendy too. Newells tenure was an absolutely abysmal time to be a Town supporter.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Arnaud Mendy too. Newells tenure was an absolutely abysmal time to be a Town supporter.

We were discussing the Newell regime at the game the other night and how we were all excited at his appointment.  :B
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 9, 2015, 10:32pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings

We were discussing the Newell regime at the game the other night and how we were all excited at his appointment.  :B

I was too. Sort of felt it wasn't going to pan out after the opening day home mauling by Crewe. Just a massive disappointment and that last desperate throw of the dice load of loan signings epitomized it all.

And Tommy 'future England number 1' Forecast.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 9, 2015, 10:49pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from fiveallive
He had a brief loan spell from Cardiff City, Stuart watkiss brought him in with Tomi Ameobi and Marvin Kamara if i remember Mike Newel[/b[b]]l took over and sent them all back he did the hit bar with a great effort if remember. Tomi Ameobi was awful.

Apparently Mike was well known for it.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 10, 2015, 12:10pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Josh's Town career according to Soccerbase was a start against Rochdale in Newell's final game and then a week later coming on as a sub at Bournemouth in Woods' first game in (caretaker) charge

Must have been an eye opener for a teenager coming to our place in that season (09/10)....at least he's moved on and up in the last six years so good luck to the lad with N.I.

My only recollection of Ameobi was when we played at home to Barnet ( 08/09) and lost 1-0 just after AB's last departure which has to go down as one of the worst perfomances I've ever seen from us

I was in the Upper for that game and I remember some people near me leaving with only an hour gone...we were dire and it was clear to see Watkiss didn't have any idea what to do, which must have sealed his fate if he thought he might get the job full time. The worst possible sort of "interview" I guess

Still at least now we have something to feel positive about....as much as we were still in the league then, we weren't half served up with some dross!  ;)

As well as it being one of the worst games I've ever watched, I also seem to remember us wearing our away kit!
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 1:08pm