Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), October 9, 2015, 9:35am
Spot o Hursty. Exactly the type of culture needed in a club like ours, with a good squad with strength in depth.

Podge and Omar need to grab the opportunity. Personally I hope he drops Tomlinson but hey ho.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-Town-boss-challenges-Jon-Paul-Pittman-s/story-27948066-detail/story.html
Posted by: Biccys, October 9, 2015, 10:06am; Reply: 1
I liked his mention of Monkhouse up front. Although he's not that mobile, he wins everything in the air and will hold it up for others, like Lenny used to. Plus he's a better finisher than Lenny ever was. I like that this will also open up the wings for Marshall and Arnold. Could be a pretty fearsome attacking lineup with Podge or Bogle up front with Monkey. Exciting.
Posted by: excusebeef, October 9, 2015, 10:12am; Reply: 2
It seems like yet again we have a good team spirit, especially with what Arnold was saying after coming back. Seems great to have positivity within the camp, shame the minority out of the camp keep moaning. Think it really could be our year if we all back the team & manager no matter what
Posted by: Mrbump53, October 9, 2015, 11:52am; Reply: 3
As a newcomer to the forum it is interesting to read some of the comments made regarding the PH interview after the game. As a manager he should defend the players and quite rightly. The only concern was in reference to the comment he didn't mind that the strikers didn't score as long as we won. What would he be saying if we didn't ?

Also the comment that when Bogle and Amond were scoring we were not winning really is nothing to do with the pairing up front but rather the defending and goalkeeping.

All I would say to PH is do not forget the fans - we are entitled to our opinions (correct or not) and don't forget we support GTFC ! Managers and players come and go but we remain (some of us for a long time as a former Barrett Stand occupier) and we want the best for the club.

I for one will be positive but allow to me to get frustrated from time to time !

UTM  :) :)
Posted by: Rick12, October 9, 2015, 12:19pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Biccys
I liked his mention of Monkhouse up front. Although he's not that mobile, he wins everything in the air and will hold it up for others, like Lenny used to. Plus he's a better finisher than Lenny ever was. I like that this will also open up the wings for Marshall and Arnold. Could be a pretty fearsome attacking lineup with Podge or Bogle up front with Monkey. Exciting.
Marshall and Arnold are pure quality for this level.Sooner them two are back and fit and firing on all cylinders Iam very hopeful about our chances this season.However like Hurst says its not just about individuals but the team. Collectively if everyone is pulling in the same direction and the effort is forthcoming in games then Iam hopeful.

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 9, 2015, 12:22pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mrbump53
As a newcomer to the forum it is interesting to read some of the comments made regarding the PH interview after the game. As a manager he should defend the players and quite rightly. The only concern was in reference to the comment he didn't mind that the strikers didn't score as long as we won. What would he be saying if we didn't ?

Also the comment that when Bogle and Amond were scoring we were not winning really is nothing to do with the pairing up front but rather the defending and goalkeeping.

All I would say to PH is do not forget the fans - we are entitled to our opinions (correct or not) and don't forget we support GTFC ! Managers and players come and go but we remain (some of us for a long time as a former Barrett Stand occupier) and we want the best for the club.

I for one will be positive but allow to me to get frustrated from time to time !

Always good to have a new poster. I think PH would say that the front two are the first line of defence and that we are more solid when they are working hard and closing down opposition defenders.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2015, 12:26pm; Reply: 6
I don't think Marshall will ever be a regular starter. Will get used to cover injuries/suspensions and as an impact sub, unless he's learned to track back and defend while he's been away.
Posted by: Rick12, October 9, 2015, 12:33pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think Marshall will ever be a regular starter. Will get used to cover injuries/suspensions and as an impact sub, unless he's learned to track back and defend while he's been away.
Accept your view as youve probably seen more of him than me but for me in the 15 or so minutes I saw him against Forest Green I thought the lad at this level looks top draw.

Posted by: Mrbump53, October 9, 2015, 12:41pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Rick12
Accept your view as youve probably seen more of him than me but for me in the 15 or so minutes I saw him against Forest Green I thought the lad at this level looks top draw.

Same here. Thought he got past the defence more than once and from what I have seen of him this season he has improved from his previous spell with GTFC.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2015, 2:04pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Rick12

I agree but i don't think Hurst does. He has a lot of ability but can he do it over 90 mins and help out the full back as well? That is what Hurst will be looking at.
Posted by: essexexile, October 9, 2015, 3:41pm; Reply: 10
What about Podge and Tomlinson up top tomorrow? Both of em are due goals particularly Tomlinson who could get a couple to reward the effort he puts in
Posted by: moosey_club, October 9, 2015, 3:51pm; Reply: 11
Notice he is quoted in the singular there, whoever replaces JPP....not whoever plays up front....would suggest that in his thoughts Tomlinson is starting regardless.
I personally hope not as i dont think we have looked as dangerous up front since he has been in the team.
Posted by: Maringer, October 9, 2015, 3:56pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from moosey_club
Notice he is quoted in the singular there, whoever replaces JPP....not whoever plays up front....would suggest that in his thoughts Tomlinson is starting regardless.
I personally hope not as i dont think we have looked as dangerous up front since he has been in the team.

Although we have won more points.   :P
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 9, 2015, 4:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree but i don't think Hurst does. He has a lot of ability but can he do it over 90 mins and help out the full back as well? That is what Hurst will be looking at.

He's signed him twice so he must see something.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 9, 2015, 4:34pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Biccys

If he Monkhouse has to run, work and close down as hard as Hurst wants his strikers to do the poor old lad will need to be subbed after half an hour! ;D

Posted by: Rick12, October 9, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

He's signed him twice so he must see something.
I liked him(albeit only seen him in one game).A worker who made some positive runs into the oppositions box.Quality wise though not the best as some others have said.
Posted by: Garth, October 9, 2015, 5:25pm; Reply: 16
Monkhouse does not win all his headers possible 70%  just saying like, to play him up front would be akin to playing Mike Lyons there
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 9, 2015, 5:29pm; Reply: 17
What I don't get, is he says no player is safe and he'll always mix it up (I don't always agree).So why is why he's now doing an interview virtually guaranteeing Tomlinson a start?!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 9, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 18
Maybe it's because he thinks Tomlinson is guaranteed to start tomorrow because of what he's contributed in what is becoming a very good run in some difficult games. Or maybe it's just to spite you and the rest of our supporters. One of the two.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2015, 7:45pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Maybe it's because he thinks Tomlinson is guaranteed to start tomorrow because of what he's contributed in what is becoming a very good run in some difficult games. Or maybe it's just to spite you and the rest of our supporters. One of the two.

I would say it's the former, with the latter just being an added bonus.  ;)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 9, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings

I would say it's the former, with the latter just being an added bonus.  ;)

Haha that did make me laugh.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 10, 2015, 12:57am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Maringer

Although we have won more points.   :P

to be more precise.....  0.2 more points per game since his arrival....
0.6 goals per game less scored since his arrival...
0.8 less goals conceded per game since his arrival.....

my point was.. we looked more dangerous before his arrival.....a point which stands...we are scoring less goals now...conceding less now....more defensive? more effective? less attractive?
Posted by: Biccys, October 10, 2015, 2:15am; Reply: 22
Quoted from moosey_club

my point was.. we looked more dangerous before his arrival.....a point which stands...we are scoring less goals now...conceding less now....more defensive? more effective? less attractive?

On average more points and higher up the table? Booo, everyone out....
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 10, 2015, 3:50am; Reply: 23
All I know is that this side gives me hope and keeps fighting which has not been the case in recent years. Hurst isn't perfect but he is a disciplinarian with solid values and reward for honest hard work. Not a bad thing for team building not just in football but in family values something that is missing big time with youth today It's called life skills.
Posted by: Garth, October 10, 2015, 7:49am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
All I know is that this side gives me hope and keeps fighting which has not been the case in recent years. Hurst isn't perfect but he is a disciplinarian with solid values and reward for honest hard work. Not a bad thing for team building not just in football but in family values something that is missing big time with youth today It's called life skills.

That's us told the. Mrs😀
Posted by: Garth, October 10, 2015, 7:53am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

That's us told then Mrs😀
Posted by: Maringer, October 10, 2015, 9:21am; Reply: 26
Quoted from moosey_club

More effective is what need to be if we want if we want to win promotion.

Even when we were top scorers after the flurry of goals earlier in the season, I was bemoaning the fact that we were letting in so many stupid and soft goals at the back. I think the arrival of Tomlinson has helped a little bit in this area, but it is probably also a minor reorganisation of the way the team has played which has tightened us up at the back as well. The positioning of the midfielders is probably another 10 yards deeper than earlier in the season to reduce the amount of space in front of the defence.

Of course, let's not ignore the fact that, at the start of the season, teams didn't know how we would play, our strengths and weaknesses etc. I'd imagine that pretty much all our upcoming opponents or their scouts have now watched us play several times, so they've seen what works against us and what doesn't. It's interesting, for example, how many teams seem to have players at right-back who are pretty good in the air whenever Monkhouse plays for us. The first few games of the season, he was winning pretty much everything which went up to him but he's not had it so easy since then. Hurst gets criticism for tinkering but I wonder how many opposition managers swap their defence around a little to deal with Monkhouse's aerial threat?

I don't disagree that we need to do a bit more attacking-wise, but I think a lot of it is about accuracy. The other night, we got into plenty of promising positions against Gateshead but didn't create enough chances from them - the final ball was lacking or the wrong decision was made further up the pitch. I think this is where the gains are to be made, regardless of who plays up front.

I reckon we'll see Tomlinson and Amond start today and this would leave Bogle as a useful option coming off the bench. Monkhouse will also probably start, I'd have thought, with Marshall as the option to change things around off the bench.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 10, 2015, 11:59am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mrbump53

You sound just like me mate,

So expect a lot of support from most on here,

AND

A few moans. :)
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 6:37pm