Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, October 13, 2015, 9:41pm
Faultless. Same again saturday please! Word on halfifax, gutless and there fans deserve better. But well done to town tonightUTM
Posted by: Posh Harry, October 13, 2015, 9:43pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Hagrid
Faultless. Same again saturday please! Word on halfifax, gutless and there fans deserve better. But well done to town tonightUTM

Blimey Hagrid. If your back already you must live in the pontoon!
Posted by: coxy, October 13, 2015, 9:43pm; Reply: 2
Hagrid thanks for a nice summary aha Utm
Posted by: ginnywings, October 13, 2015, 9:54pm; Reply: 3
Don't think they were gutless, just useless. About the most one sided game i've seen for a long time. Not much to say really as it that one-sided, it's hrad to tell how good we were against how bad they were. Amond's finishing was exemplary and well worth a watch on the highlights. Bogle was looking sharp as well and some of the movement was a joy to watch.

Moved up the table, results went our way, a good night to be a Town fan. Freezing in the Upper, need a cuppa.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 13, 2015, 9:57pm; Reply: 4
They were the worst team I've ever seen. We were great!!!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 13, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 5
Forgot to say, the booing of Tommo was fooking disgusting. He's a Town player and needs a goal, so Hurst threw him on.
Posted by: chaos33, October 13, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 6
I agree. Booing Tomlinson is absolutely disgraceful, and shames us.
Posted by: RoboCod, October 13, 2015, 10:02pm; Reply: 7
6 points off leaders FGR and a lovely 20+ GD  :)

A very good night, need to take this confidence into the next game and onwards.
Posted by: Meza, October 13, 2015, 10:03pm; Reply: 8
yeah dont understand that booing thing especially when he hasn't even kicked a ball.  is it a rival thing just because he played for the gimps and was kinda dirty!! ?

Still great result tonight, what was the atmosphere like?

att 3805 i think
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 13, 2015, 10:08pm; Reply: 9
Special word for Conor Townsend who looks better and younger than he did last time he was here. Can we make it a season long loan please!
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 13, 2015, 10:08pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from chaos33
I agree. Booing Tomlinson is absolutely disgraceful, and shames us.

Basically, if this is what has happened - this is a vicarious disagreement with management selection, and the player should not be the brunt of such hostility, in my view.

Posted by: chaos33, October 13, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 11
Maybe there was booing about the decision to bring Bogle off rather than for Tomlinson?
Posted by: Meza, October 13, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 12
thats very true Chaos, how can one know who the booing was aimed at or what for?  only those booing would be able to explain, the rest is pure guess work.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 13, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 13
Best game I've witnessed in years, a sterling performance by every town player tonight, really pleased for Podge, you could see how much it meant to him, he works so bloody hard.

Posted by: Meza, October 13, 2015, 10:18pm; Reply: 14
1      Moses Emmanuel     Bromley                     13
2     Matthew Rhead             Lincoln City             11
3     Padraig Amond             Grimsby Town             10
3     Jordan Burrow             FC Halifax Town        10
3     Kristian Dennis             Macclesfield Town     10
4     Omar Bogle             Grimsby Town               9

Yaay back in the charts again.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 13, 2015, 10:19pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Best game I've witnessed in years, a sterling performance by every town player tonight, really pleased for Podge, you could see how much it meant to him, he works so bloody hard.

Thanks for the updates Chris,
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 13, 2015, 10:20pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete

Thanks for the updates Chris,

Did you get them all Pete?
Posted by: RoboCod, October 13, 2015, 10:22pm; Reply: 17
How weird that Halifax's Burrows is in the top scorers!
Posted by: Grimal, October 13, 2015, 10:22pm; Reply: 18
And these tw@ts that boo are the same idiots that wonder why some players dont want to sign on for us, utter disgrace, he is one of our squad and needs encouragement not that sh!te.
Posted by: barralad, October 13, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Teestogreen

Basically, if this is what has happened - this is a vicarious disagreement with management selection, and the player should not be the brunt of such hostility, in my view.

One of my favourite words! Agree with this point 110%. What was Tomlinson supposed to say? I'm not as good as Podge or Omar boss wouldn't you be better playing them?

We've had loan players here before who have taken the urine. Tomlinson is not one of them...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 13, 2015, 10:38pm; Reply: 20
Would be interesting to hear what one of the booers has to say. Wouldn't imagine it was aimed at Tomlinson. More the decision.

At 5-0 up that's just bonkers.
Posted by: LH, October 13, 2015, 10:40pm; Reply: 21
Probably the easiest game we'll have all season I don't think we even got out of first gear. They were useless and had absolutely no confidence whatsoever - it can't get much worse for them, can it?

All of the goals were good with Amond's fourth the pick of the bunch imo. I imagine there will be a lot of told you so sort of comments on here and twitter etc tonight but it'd be nice if we could just enjoy the win and not beat PH with it too much. Most Town fans would put at least one of Bogle and Amond in their XI but Amond said himself tonight he feels better for the rest. I for one hope they retain their places on Saturday as that is another game we could get a win to keep this run going.

Has anything been said about Monkhouse's injury? Looked like it could be a serious one.
Posted by: Trawler, October 13, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 22
How refreshing to watch our first eleven. When Marshall came on for Monkhouse it was complete. Now start with that lot. Please.  

Clay imperious. Townsend a revelation.  Bogle and Podge linked well and Amond ran into channels brilliantly. None had a bad game. Poor opponents but so pleased to see the 7
Posted by: DocTower, October 13, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 23
For bring 4 0 up at half time we just seemed to be cruising.  The game dipped around 25 minutes and it almost felt like a reserve game with little atmosphere . Then we scored and went up a gear and made Halifax look ordinary.  I know they have taken some beatings this season so it was imperative for us to carry on .

They offered nothing in attack and I can only remember one free kick in the second half that Macca had to save . Can't fault the Halifax keeper , just one of those games when every goal was unstoppable .

Monkhouse going off ,  gave us , with Marshall a more attack minded feel  . Amond class act , Townsend slotted straight in as if a regular  first teamer.  One Toto moment in the first half  .  Feel sorry for those who stayed away this evening,  they might be warmer than we were but not often do we witness a 7 goal feast.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 13, 2015, 10:47pm; Reply: 24
Excellent all round really, a mixture of styles at different periods, sometimes going longer for channel runs and other times neater patient triangles, great interplay to get behind them almost at will and some Ole football at times.
You could see the front pairing actively looking for each other throughout and wanting to be the partnership and it paid dividends.

Too much good to purrr on about in a short summary but Dizley Rascal looked unfazed throughout, the spine of the team was solid and the wingers threatening and linking well with full backs and strikers.

Tait started sluggish but settled in well, Townsend looked like it was his 3rd or 4th season playing for us.  

Really nice finishes throughout with pick of the goals for me being Clay's, great link up with Amond to Bogle and an unselfish perfect set up for Clay with a very tidy pass into the corner from 18 yds.

Yes they werent great but we were pretty darn good. UTM
Posted by: barralad, October 13, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 25
Well that was a joy to watch! Yeah Halifax weren't the strongest team Town have faced this season but the way we put them  to the sword was clinical. Not a bad performance tonight from a Town player. Justifiable praise for Disley but I thought Clay, had Amond not been playing, would have been a good shout for M.O.M. Townsend is a class act denied a probable assist only by the referee who pulled play back when he was in a marvellous position to cross the ball. Some of the inter play between Bogle, Clay, Disley and Amond was breathtaking. Quick, incisive and skillful.
Strength in depth shown by Marshall's performance once Monkhouse went off. (Looked like the Monk may have damaged his shoulder collarbone?)
Great to see Brown get a run out.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 13, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 26
Perfect game Almond looked fresh and hungry, Bogle put himself about , Conor Townsend was sheer class AND nice to see Brown looking as good as ever but most of all one thing is certain.

What ever you think of Hurst he has assembled the best side I have seen for 10 years at least.

Well done lads now lets get a win down at Torquay that would really be the icing on the cake.

UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 13, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from LH
I imagine there will be a lot of told you so sort of comments on here and twitter etc tonight but it'd be nice if we could just enjoy the win and not beat PH with it too much.

Agree with you there. Hopefully there won't be too much in the opposite direction either (of the "masterstroke of motivation by Hurst").

Let's just enjoy it.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 13, 2015, 10:52pm; Reply: 28
You can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with ease. Should give some confidence that we can score goals and the GD of 20 should frighten a few sides.

I agree with Chaos and hope the booing was for the substitution rather than the substitute. If people were booing Tomlinson it is a disgrace. My guess is that Hurst left Tomlinson out for that possibility in the first place and put him on for 20 minutes to break his duck.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 13, 2015, 10:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Did you get them all Pete?

I think so mate.
Posted by: jaymariner, October 13, 2015, 10:55pm; Reply: 30
Absolutely brilliant! Every player gave 100% and looked like they were enjoying it. Halifax were very very poor but we sometimes make these games hard for ourselves so it was nice to see us play some great attacking football and it pay off.

Started to feel sorry for the Halifax fans at one point but then remembered how much abuse they gave us at their place when we lost 4-0, It feels like this was redemption for that night a little
Posted by: barralad, October 13, 2015, 11:03pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from jaymariner
Absolutely brilliant! Every player gave 100% and looked like they were enjoying it. Halifax were very very poor but we sometimes make these games hard for ourselves so it was nice to see us play some great attacking football and it pay off.

Started to feel sorry for the Halifax fans at one point but then remembered how much abuse they gave us at their place when we lost 4-0, It feels like this was redemption for that night a little

I don't consider myself to be a vengeful sort but I did quote "Revenge is a dish best served cold" at half time... :o
Posted by: Mendonca1995, October 13, 2015, 11:13pm; Reply: 32
It's just what happens when you play your top goal scorers !!! If the booing was at Tomlinson it's disgraceful great win utm
Posted by: AndyGTFC, October 13, 2015, 11:55pm; Reply: 33
Fantastic win. You can only beat what's in front of you and as crap as Halifax were, we were clearly up for it from the off and both Bogle and Amond were fantastic. First time they've played together in nearly a month and they looked determined to prove a point.

Let's follow this up with another three points on Saturday now.
Posted by: Biccys, October 14, 2015, 12:19am; Reply: 34
Great man management to make Podge and Bogez so determined for each other and they really are developing into a formidable partnership despite not playing together for a while. I just hope they keep that togetherness and carry it forward into the next games. JPP is going to struggle to get back into the side if they keep that up! I love the way Amond is coaching all the time, showing everyone where they should be, his movement is second to none and he knows how to be a centre forward. Bet quickly becoming one of my favourite players ever to wear the stripes!
Posted by: toontown, October 14, 2015, 12:32am; Reply: 35
Great display from so many players.  All the starting 10 outfield players were great, McKeown really had nothing to do all game. The front two partnership, what can you say, looked Rolls-Royce like for our level, brilliant interlink play.  OK so we have to allow for Halifax being awful but still great to watch.
Noticed the vast improvement in Monkhouse's play when he had Bogle and Amonds movement to play the little one twos with. A lesson there is if you're going to play Monkhouse, as PH so clearly does, then it cant be with Tomlinson who doesn't have the nous to do those sorts of runs. With him up front Monkhouse has looked a shadow of the player he has when Amond especially has been in the team.
On the subject of Tomlinson, plainly Hurst put him on with the assumption that even he could score against them, but he couldn't, and he didn't even threaten to look threatening, against a defence that was disorganised demoralised and prone to basic mistakes. Instead Tomlinson was poor and simply anonymous again. If he can't do it against that Halifax side, he never will. Really really not good enough.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 14, 2015, 3:48am; Reply: 36
Bogle looked like he was carrying a knock last night I think that was the reason he was subbed anyone else notice he kept feeling is leg I know he took one in the nuts but he was struggling a bit latter on.
Posted by: RoboCod, October 14, 2015, 7:40am; Reply: 37
Quoted from barralad

I don't consider myself to be a vengeful sort but I did quote "Revenge is a dish best served cold" at half time... :o

Their forum has been error'ing for a few hours now. A proper, full-on message board meltdown(surprice)(wacko)
Posted by: Tommy, October 14, 2015, 7:42am; Reply: 38
Although against limited opposition, that was a complete performance from Town.

From the first whistle our work rate was fantastic, closing down and pressing all over the pitch. Bogle and Podge setting the standard with immense work rate between them. This intensity didn't drop throughout the match despite the game being effectively over very early on - agree with Hurst saying that was one of the most pleasing things, as it would've been easy to coast through the 2nd half.

Disley and Clay won everything in the middle and moved the ball quickly. Clay was back to his early season form with some intelligent twists and turns when under pressure.

Monkhouse had started well and did really well to pick out Bogle for the opener. Marshall took a bit of time to get going but 2nd half was a threat with his direct style.
As with Arnold on the other side, both wingers linked well with their full backs who were happy to get forward.

I've said it since I saw him at the Kidderminster game but Amond's movement really is a different class to anything I've seen from a GTFC striker for many years. Bogle's was better tonight too. And they both held the ball up well in general. If they both keep up that level of work rate and ball retention, they'll stay in the team. Often playing close together, teeing each other up, gee-ing each other up, they look like a real partnership. Bogle stepping over the ball for Amond to stick it top corner epitomised this as he could've easily tried to turn & shoot himself.

Townsend said on the radio afterwards that Hurst reminded them at half time how Cheltenham beat Halifax 7-1 recently and challenged them to beat that.

Yes Halifax were shocking but we didn't give them a chance to settle and rebuild any confidence early on. That intensity of pressing and speed of our own play (similar to last week vs Gateshead) is the standard we need to hit every week. If we maintain that, teams won't be able to live with us. We've played poor teams before but stood off them and either drew or coasted to a 2-0/3-0 win.

But tonight we had the confidence and desire of champions. That must be maintained.
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 14, 2015, 8:00am; Reply: 39
Have to say Ademola didn't look like much at BP in August bu Kristian Dennis looked like a quality player. However Bogle and Amond have been the best strikers I've seen bar maybe Parkin.
Posted by: TAGG, October 14, 2015, 8:16am; Reply: 40
Great game. Some great football.
Just goes to show put your best 11 on the pitch and go for it.
Posted by: Grim74, October 14, 2015, 8:32am; Reply: 41
Good result but let's not get carried away, yes there are positives we can take from the result but let's not forget Halifax are the league whipping boys and one of the poorest teams I've ever seen at BP, we lose to Torquay another poor team on Saturday then we are back to square one.
Posted by: oldun, October 14, 2015, 9:09am; Reply: 42
In amongst everything it was nice to see Scott Brown get on. You could tell he was champing at the bit as he waited on the touch line . He looked so excited. Ideal time to let him have a go. In fact he did pretty well and his pass for Podge's 4th goal was perfect. Funny to hear PH talking about him and then say "but he's not playing on Saturday"
Posted by: Garth, October 14, 2015, 9:24am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Grim74
Good result but let's not get carried away, yes there are positives we can take from the result but let's not forget Halifax are the league whipping boys and one of the poorest teams I've ever seen at BP, we lose to Torquay another poor team on Saturday then we are back to square one.

Well I am till Saturday at least, some class attacking football for this level was seen last night,  and for those who were feeling sorry for Halifax last night don`t they would not for us if the tables were turned,  and champions are always ruthless.

Each and every player were excellent last night but Diz and Paddy were above even that, to run around let alone be a contender for MOM after a facial injury that resembles a hit with a bar stool must rank very high in GT history, and Podge`s finishing and positional play would not have been out of place on Match of the Day.

Lets hope Saturdays game will not let tonights performance down and make it eleven undefeated
Posted by: LH, October 14, 2015, 9:32am; Reply: 44
Nothing like good old Grimsby positivity is there?
Posted by: ackomariner, October 14, 2015, 9:38am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Tommy
Although against limited opposition, that was a complete performance from Town.

From the first whistle our work rate was fantastic, closing down and pressing all over the pitch. Bogle and Podge setting the standard with immense work rate between them. This intensity didn't drop throughout the match despite the game being effectively over very early on - agree with Hurst saying that was one of the most pleasing things, as it would've been easy to coast through the 2nd half.

Disley and Clay won everything in the middle and moved the ball quickly. Clay was back to his early season form with some intelligent twists and turns when under pressure.

Monkhouse had started well and did really well to pick out Bogle for the opener. Marshall took a bit of time to get going but 2nd half was a threat with his direct style.
As with Arnold on the other side, both wingers linked well with their full backs who were happy to get forward.

I've said it since I saw him at the Kidderminster game but Amond's movement really is a different class to anything I've seen from a GTFC striker for many years. Bogle's was better tonight too. And they both held the ball up well in general. If they both keep up that level of work rate and ball retention, they'll stay in the team. Often playing close together, teeing each other up, gee-ing each other up, they look like a real partnership. Bogle stepping over the ball for Amond to stick it top corner epitomised this as he could've easily tried to turn & shoot himself.

Townsend said on the radio afterwards that Hurst reminded them at half time how Cheltenham beat Halifax 7-1 recently and challenged them to beat that.

Yes Halifax were shocking but we didn't give them a chance to settle and rebuild any confidence early on. That intensity of pressing and speed of our own play (similar to last week vs Gateshead) is the standard we need to hit every week. If we maintain that, teams won't be able to live with us. We've played poor teams before but stood off them and either drew or coasted to a 2-0/3-0 win.

But tonight we had the confidence and desire of champions. That must be maintained.

Spot on Tommy  :)
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 14, 2015, 9:57am; Reply: 46
Quoted from toontown

On the subject of Tomlinson, plainly Hurst put him on with the assumption that even he could score against them, but he couldn't, and he didn't even threaten to look threatening, against a defence that was disorganised demoralised and prone to basic mistakes. Instead Tomlinson was poor and simply anonymous again. If he can't do it against that Halifax side, he never will. Really really not good enough.

A great point made about Monkhouse benefiting from Amond's movement and then you come out with the above crap.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 14, 2015, 9:59am; Reply: 47
Don't think the performance of anyone could be faulted last night.  Front to back it was superb.

Concerns over a few more niggles picked up.  Tait really struggled before half-time with what looked to be his ankle.  Was ok after the break but wouldn't be surprised if that's one that has flared up over night.  Equally so Clay was hobbling about a bit after a late challenge from one of the Halifax players.

With Monkhouse presumably out, JPP struggling with his hamstring that leave us down to 14 fit senior professionals and Scott Brown.  Fully expect another dabble into the loan market this week.
Posted by: TAGG, October 14, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Grim74

Grim just about sums up this post.
Don't think anyone's getting carried away they are just enjoying a great result but there's always one.
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 3:09pm