Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 15, 2015, 2:04am
I'm coming to BP for my first match on the 28th vs. Kiddy,wondering if anyone has tips for a first timer! A Grimsby fan has kindly offered to bring my father and I to the game from Leeds Bradford :)
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, November 15, 2015, 7:18am; Reply: 1
My tip is don't let the football match spoil your day :)
Posted by: mariner83, November 15, 2015, 9:03am; Reply: 2
Whatever the temperature is outside BP it'll feel about 10 degrees colder in there.
Posted by: gary_elton, November 15, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 3
Have a stroll along the prom , have Fish and Chips and Mushies at Steels ( book your table )
and get into the BP Hotel followed by the Trust Bar for a pre-match pint....

then enjoy Town thumping Kiddie 4 - 1......

Have a good day  !!!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 15, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 4
Great advice from Gary make the whole day an experience great food restaurants and pubs in and around Cleethorpes a lovely atmosphere all along the sea front if the weather is kind. Before,during and after the game enjoy. :) :) :)  
Posted by: moosey_club, November 15, 2015, 9:22am; Reply: 5
Quoted from gary_elton
Have a stroll along the prom , have Fish and Chips and Mushies at Steels ( book your table )
and get into the BP Hotel followed by the Trust Bar for a pre-match pint....

then enjoy Town thumping Kiddie 4 - 1......

Have a good day  !!!

dont forget to take your extra £1 for the mushy peas now....robbing tw@ts.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 15, 2015, 9:41am; Reply: 6
A number of Town legends are attending this game.
I do some photography on match days, happy to meet up with you and your dad and take a photo at Blundell Park to mark the occasion.

PM with your details if interested
Posted by: Tinymariner, November 15, 2015, 11:34am; Reply: 7
Which stand do you want to sit in?
Posted by: LH, November 15, 2015, 11:48am; Reply: 8
Who would red cross the posts on this thread? This lad is going out of his way to come over and support Town so the least we could do is make him welcome.

Definitely do the Steel's chippy and a pre-match pint up Cleethorpes/BP Hotel and Trust Bar. My advice would be to sit in the Upper Findus - one of the best views you will get at a match at this level and in the unlikely event that the match is dull you can watch the boats on the Humber.
Posted by: DocTower, November 15, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 9
Quoted from moosey_club

dont forget to take your extra £1 for the mushy peas now....robbing tw@ts.

WHAT !    Really ?    Just not on . We go to Becketts  across the road . Never had a bad meal from there , and you don't pay extra for your peas .
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 15, 2015, 12:28pm; Reply: 10
I'm planning to sit in the Upper Findus,and yeah I'll definitely be taking the opportunity to take in some fish and chips (with mushy peas) whilst I have the chance!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 15, 2015, 1:26pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from IrishMariner
I'm planning to sit in the Upper Findus,and yeah I'll definitely be taking the opportunity to take in some fish and chips (with mushy peas) whilst I have the chance!

I hope you have a great day.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 15, 2015, 2:06pm; Reply: 12
Can't really offer any advice other than enjoy the day! (and go a bit mad* in the club shop ;))

* in a spending money way, not smashing stuff up!
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 15, 2015, 2:08pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19
Can't really offer any advice other than enjoy the day! (and go a bit mad* in the club shop ;))

* in a spending money way, not smashing stuff up!

Oh don't worry I plan on making my contribution! Have my eye on a training top and the red away jersey if it's available.

Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 15, 2015, 2:10pm; Reply: 14
Irish Mariner - glad to see you are still following the Town mate. I would second a trip to Steels and a walk along the prom if you get there early enough.
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 15, 2015, 2:11pm; Reply: 15
Someone suggested going for a walk on the prom. If you do then my tip would be have a spare pair of shoes somewhere as you will get so much dog sh8t on the first pair you will just want to throw them in the bin!
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, November 15, 2015, 2:12pm; Reply: 16
Wear two pairs of socks.
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 15, 2015, 2:23pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Paris Mariner
Irish Mariner - glad to see you are still following the Town mate. I would second a trip to Steels and a walk along the prom if you get there early enough.

Your scarf will be making its first appearance in BP for a while! You still based in Ireland?
Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 15, 2015, 2:28pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from IrishMariner

Your scarf will be making its first appearance in BP for a while! You still based in Ireland?

No mate, Bilbao. Won't be at that game but hopefully I'll catch you at another game in the future.

UTM!
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 15, 2015, 2:37pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Paris Mariner

No mate, Bilbao. Won't be at that game but hopefully I'll catch you at another game in the future.

UTM!

Hopefully you will,hope to make it a more regular occurance!

Posted by: moosey_club, November 15, 2015, 5:15pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from DocTower

WHAT !    Really ?    Just not on . We go to Becketts  across the road . Never had a bad meal from there , and you don't pay extra for your peas .

Yes really.

Posted by: gaz57, November 15, 2015, 5:48pm; Reply: 21
If you can't get into Steels try the ocean bar down St Peters ave, we are spoilt for choice really. We may  well need a new ground but once you enter BP you will get the bug there's something about the place that just grabs you. Have a great day.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 15, 2015, 5:58pm; Reply: 22
Be nice to hear about your experience good and bad.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 15, 2015, 6:00pm; Reply: 23
To finish the night off there is always the Barcy. ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from cmackenzie4
To finish the night off there is always the Barcy. ;)

God is that place still going? Deffo the place to finish the night off, but only if you're completely shitfaced .if you can't pull in there, you never will!
Posted by: psgmariner, November 15, 2015, 6:13pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from IrishMariner
I'm coming to BP for my first match on the 28th vs. Kiddy,wondering if anyone has tips for a first timer! A Grimsby fan has kindly offered to bring my father and I to the game from Leeds Bradford :)

How come you follow Town? Family connection? Lose a bet?

Some good advice on this thread. The Notts, new Weatherspoons and Willys are good for ale or People Bar, Riverside or Bobbin if you prefer bars. Steels, Ocean Fish Bar and Ernie Becketts are all ace and you must sample some fish and chips whilst you and here.

Pop in my shop and will give you a free beer for making such an impressive effort!

http://miabcleethorpes.co.uk/
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 15, 2015, 6:18pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from psgmariner

How come you follow Town? Family connection? Lose a bet?

Some good advice on this thread. The Notts, new Weatherspoons and Willys are good for ale or People Bar, Riverside or Bobbin if you prefer bars. Steels, Ocean Fish Bar and Ernie Becketts are all ace and you must sample some fish and chips whilst you and here.

Pop in my shop and will give you a free beer for making such an impressive effort!

http://miabcleethorpes.co.uk/

About 8 years ago (I was 8/9) I decided I'd pick a different club from the mainstream clubs that people follow here from the PL.

Now I'm 17 and I'm finally getting to go to see a game! Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm flying home Saturday night,so the opportunity to pull in Grimsby will have to wait until I'm that little bit older and for when I make a weekend of it! ;)

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 15, 2015, 6:28pm; Reply: 27
Quoted Text

Quoted from IrishMariner

Now I'm 17 and I'm finally getting to go to see a game!

oops, there goes the alcohol license
Posted by: psgmariner, November 15, 2015, 6:32pm; Reply: 28
??)

[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKIfK9aAXNV2L3HPbwFVYzjyyFd6qjWuwn-_OHuU593zq175vU[/img]
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 16, 2015, 9:06am; Reply: 29
My mrs has just spent her first weekend in Meggies (cleethorpes) and has fallen in love with the place. Just so happens she is Irish as well!

Great advice from everyone here to be honest mate. But, especially for your first time, I would suggest getting into the ground early and soaking up some of the special atmosphere that only BP can hold for town fans.

Just wondered if Dave smith, or anyone at the club, could organise a tour of the ground? Maybe get the telewag involved

Above all, enjoy!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 16, 2015, 9:14am; Reply: 30
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
My mrs has just spent her first weekend in Meggies (cleethorpes) and has fallen in love with the place. Just so happens she is Irish as well!

Great advice from everyone here to be honest mate. But, especially for your first time, I would suggest getting into the ground early and soaking up some of the special atmosphere that only BP can hold for town fans.

[/b]Just wondered if Dave smith, or anyone at the club, could organise a tour of the ground? Maybe get the telewag involved[b]

Above all, enjoy!

I am in the process of sorting something out with the club for them. so that its a day to remember for them (cannot guarantee the right result unfortunately)
Posted by: highcliff mariner, November 16, 2015, 9:15am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Posh Harry
Someone suggested going for a walk on the prom. If you do then my tip would be have a spare pair of shoes somewhere as you will get so much dog sh8t on the first pair you will just want to throw them in the bin!

When did you last walk along the prom ?
I live on the seafront and ain't had excrement on my shoes in the 7 years I've been here .

Utm
Posted by: ivanosandwich, November 16, 2015, 9:28am; Reply: 32
Quoted from highcliff mariner

I live on the seafront and ain't had excrement on my shoes in the 7 years I've been here .

Utm

No Sh!t?
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 16, 2015, 9:33am; Reply: 33
I've not been to the Fishing Heritage Centre for a good few years but that must still be worth a visit.

http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/resident/museums-and-heritage/fishing-heritage-centre

bit of a rubbish website for such a good museum
Posted by: barralad, November 16, 2015, 10:46am; Reply: 34
Quoted from The Yard Dog

I am in the process of sorting something out with the club for them. so that its a day to remember for them (cannot guarantee the right result unfortunately)

You have a P.M
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 16, 2015, 7:48pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from highcliff mariner

Utm

The last time I walked from the train station to the ground was just under 2 years ago, it was horrendous. It was also the middle of winter though which probably didn't help.

UTM
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 16, 2015, 8:07pm; Reply: 36
PS. Have a fantastic time Irishmariner. Welcome to the real theatre of dreams (and the occasional nightmare)!

UTM
Posted by: geir, November 16, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from mariner83
Whatever the temperature is outside BP it'll feel about 10 degrees colder in there.

Very good advice. I have been to BP at about the same time of year and were freezing my nuts off...And I really shouldn`t have a problem with the cold, being from Norway and all, but still...extremely cold - so dress well! :-)
Posted by: bobbyturtle, November 16, 2015, 11:12pm; Reply: 38
have a fab time!! and dont forget tour flask and definitely eat before you get to the ground. utm
btw whats your predictions for town and the forest green  and cheltenham lol utm
;D
Posted by: Rik e B, November 16, 2015, 11:40pm; Reply: 39
Yes don't get caught out with the cold, extra clothing can always be stripped down, lack of clothing can make for a miserable experience.

Prepare as though it was deep mid - winter,  that North Sea breeze caught wrongly up there in the gods (well for Non-leagu it is  ;)) can easily make it feel ten degrees colder like already said.
Posted by: mirrorballman, November 20, 2015, 7:59pm; Reply: 40
Nice mention of your visit by Podge in his Mariners Player interview! Sounds like you're in for a nice welcome next week IrishMariner - what is the connection, your dad played gaelic football with Podge when he was younger?
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 20, 2015, 8:17pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from mirrorballman
Nice mention of your visit by Podge in his Mariners Player interview! Sounds like you're in for a nice welcome next week IrishMariner - what is the connection, your dad played gaelic football with Podge when he was younger?

I may have  look at that! Yes that's my connection with Podge,but I've supported the club for 8/9 years so him playing is only a convenient coincidence :)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 20, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from IrishMariner

I may have  look at that! Yes that's my connection with Podge,but I've supported the club for 8/9 years so him playing is only a convenient coincidence :)

I've been going 30 years without getting name-checked by a player 😉
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 20, 2015, 8:33pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I've been going 30 years without getting name-checked by a player 😉

I've been spoilt before even entering BP!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 20, 2015, 9:19pm; Reply: 44
Hoping to have another surprise for you, you have to wait until your visit.  Looking forward to meeting up with you a week on Saturday.

Has the telegraph contacted you yet?

Have a safe journey, enjoy your fish and chips at Steels, sorted Rodney Mariner lunch as well, my brother is going to meet up with you to take some photo's (anything for a free lunch, he actually sorted it Steels for the 3 of you to have fish and chip lunch)

Challenge to you to go for the large fish and chips meal.

Mark
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 20, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Hoping to have another surprise for you, you have to wait until your visit.  Looking forward to meeting up with you a week on Saturday.

Has the telegraph contacted you yet?

Have a safe journey, enjoy your fish and chips at Steels, sorted Rodney Mariner lunch as well, my brother is going to meet up with you to take some photo's (anything for a free lunch, he actually sorted it Steels for the 3 of you to have fish and chip lunch)

Challenge to you to go for the large fish and chips meal.

Mark

Gotta be the Jumbo surely!
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 20, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Les Brechin

Gotta be the Jumbo surely!

Ah I couldn't be abusing the meal! No Mark no one has made contact yet
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 20, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from IrishMariner

Ah I couldn't be abusing the meal! No Mark no one has made contact yet

Jumbo Haddock, Chips and Mushy Peas is THE only meal you should ever have at Steels. The only place I ever go where I don't need to see the menu!  :)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 20, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Have a safe journey, enjoy your fish and chips at Steels, sorted Rodney Mariner lunch as well, my brother is going to meet up with you to take some photo's (anything for a free lunch, he actually sorted it Steels for the 3 of you to have fish and chips

Mark

You're a gent - I didn't expect that and will stick the cost of mine in the Trust or Youth coffers.
Posted by: davmariner, November 20, 2015, 10:50pm; Reply: 49
Enjoy it mate, great to have you on board. Utm
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 21, 2015, 11:08am; Reply: 50
Deffo go Steels/drinks in whatever order you prefer, ice cream from on the prom if open then walk along the seawall back to the ground (try not to get blown over)
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 21, 2015, 11:11am; Reply: 51

[/b]You're a gent - I didn't expect that and will stick the cost of mine in the Trust or Youth coffers.
[b]

That's a nice gesture, happy to assist any mariner,

Posted by: horse, November 21, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 52
Nice to see the hospitality of GTFC fans proving the community spirit lives on! You don't see this happening in the upper leagues. A nice touch from all of those involved in making IrishMariners visit a most memorable one. Yet another reason why I'm proud to be a Mariner!
Posted by: mirrorballman, November 28, 2015, 10:56pm; Reply: 53
Any word from IrishMariner, did he make it ok?

Podge read the script and did his bit anyway, a Carlow man bagging the winner for the first timer from Carlow!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 28, 2015, 10:59pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from mirrorballman
Any word from IrishMariner, did he make it ok?

Podge read the script and did his bit anyway, a Carlow man bagging the winner for the first timer from Carlow!

Yes he made it and fairly confident I can say he had a great day. Sure he'll be on at some point to tell you all about it so will leave that to him.
Posted by: IrishMariner, November 28, 2015, 11:12pm; Reply: 55
Hi everybody,

Had an incredible day! Was very well taken care of by Rodley Mariner and The Yard Dog as well as Paul the club photographer. Steels provided a free meal for us on arrival to Cleethorpes,and I got presented with a signed jersey in the McMenemy's suite. Met some Town legends including Nigel Batch and Dave Boylen. Got a tour of the ground including a visit to the Chairman's lounge,was delighted to have Podge score and for us to get the three points! Got myself a hat and the red jersey as well.  And on top of this I got to stick one in the back of the net in front of the Pontoon before the game!

Would just like to say thanks to the gentlemen who made my first visit to BP an unforgettable one! Thankfully the wind was kind today so I didn't feel the full brunt of the North Sea. I hope you all enjoy the article in the Telegraph,feel free to add to this Rodley/Yard Dog.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 28, 2015, 11:20pm; Reply: 56
Glad you enjoyed it. The football wasn't up to much today unfortunately but you sound like you had a great time.
Posted by: lukeo, November 29, 2015, 7:27am; Reply: 57
Brilliant,  good to read :)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 29, 2015, 7:44am; Reply: 58
The club did a brilliant job making Darragh and Jimmy feel welcome with Dave Smith, John Fenty and Lee Mullen all taking time to come and welcome them to the club and presenting Darragh with a signed shirt. Mark and Paul went to great lengths to make it a special day and it was rounded off by Podge phoning at 5.30 as we were driving back to the airport to check they'd enjoyed themselves. Think we've ensured Darragh will be a GTFC fan for life and we might have converted his Dad to the cause as well. Was a very proud GTFC fan yesterday!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 29, 2015, 7:49am; Reply: 59
It was a strange atmosphere yesterday very quite and subdued. Admittedly it was windy, freezing cold and wet plus the 77 fans from Kiddi were sat shivering suffering from extreme exposure but until the goal  only a few mutterings from the usual corner of the ponny was heard.

Hope we can get some noise going for the cup tie and start ramping the decibels up the lads need that 12th man.
Posted by: DocTower, November 29, 2015, 8:02am; Reply: 60
Unfortunately away sides don't come to entertain the home fans , they had come for a point and nearly got it . Think its going to be better next Monday , providing I can find my glasses !
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 29, 2015, 8:22am; Reply: 61
True Doc I really miss some of those Yorkshire teams there was always a good atmosphere it would have been grossly unfair if their only chance had gone in after all the possession and great build up play we had but it has happened before.

Thankfully lady luck shined down on us yesterday. Dare we hope this is our season??

You bloody bet we dare. :) :) :)

UTM
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 29, 2015, 9:39am; Reply: 62
Quoted from IrishMariner
Hi everybody,

Had an incredible day! Was very well taken care of by Rodley Mariner and The Yard Dog as well as Paul the club photographer. Steels provided a free meal for us on arrival to Cleethorpes,and I got presented with a signed jersey in the McMenemy's suite. Met some Town legends including Nigel Batch and Dave Boylen. Got a tour of the ground including a visit to the Chairman's lounge,was delighted to have Podge score and for us to get the three points! Got myself a hat and the red jersey as well.  And on top of this I got to stick one in the back of the net in front of the Pontoon before the game!

Would just like to say thanks to the gentlemen who made my first visit to BP an unforgettable one! Thankfully the wind was kind today so I didn't feel the full brunt of the North Sea. I hope you all enjoy the article in the Telegraph,feel free to add to this Rodley/Yard Dog.

Hi Darragh
I hope your enjoyed your 1st visit to Cleethorpes and Blundell Park, it was a bit full on trying to fit in as much as possible to ensure your visit was a memorable for you and your dad.
Hope you had time to take it all in, sorry we was unable to go to the trust bar before kick-off, but Lee Mullins said he could get Podge to have a quick chat and photo with him (I think that made your dads day).
Did you manage to get to the trust bar at half time? my apologies to Ian at the trust as I was unable to get to the trust bar before kick-off.
Received the email addresses from Jonny, will  pass them on to my brother who will forwarded on the photos from the day.

Just need to convert your dad to a GTFC supporter now.

Hope to meet up in the future

Mark

Posted by: IrishMariner, November 29, 2015, 10:15am; Reply: 63
The Scunthorpe team were on my return flight actually,they weren't too happy to see two smiling Mariners after their result yesterday!
Posted by: barralad, November 29, 2015, 10:19am; Reply: 64
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Hi Darragh
I hope your enjoyed your 1st visit to Cleethorpes and Blundell Park, it was a bit full on trying to fit in as much as possible to ensure your visit was a memorable for you and your dad.
Hope you had time to take it all in, sorry we was unable to go to the trust bar before kick-off, but Lee Mullins said he could get Podge to have a quick chat and photo with him (I think that made your dads day).
Did you manage to get to the trust bar at half time? my apologies to Ian at the trust as I was unable to get to the trust bar before kick-off.
Received the email addresses from Jonny, will  pass them on to my brother who will forwarded on the photos from the day.

Just need to convert your dad to a GTFC supporter now.

Hope to meet up in the future

Mark

Absolutely no problem Mark. The idea was that you and Rodley made the day truly memorable and it's easy to see you managed that brilliantly. You are both a real credit to the GTFC fanbase. Fantastic stuff....
It was a shame not to meet Darragh and his da but there will surely now be another time!  Sounds like another Mariner has been smitten with Grimsbyitis
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 29, 2015, 4:33pm; Reply: 65
Darragh & Jonny

I have passed on your email addresses to my brother, so you should get the photos soon.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 29, 2015, 4:57pm; Reply: 66
Thanks Mark. Apologies we didn't make the trust bar, we were slow getting down and it was busy with everyone trying to thaw out a bit. From my point of view it was a pleasure bringing Darragh and Jimmy along and glad they had such a good day. There's a really nice feel to the Club at the moment. Let's hope we can hold onto it in the Football League next season!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 29, 2015, 4:57pm; Reply: 67
All those involved with helping out, well done and a big pat on the back to you all. I hope the club/trust have recognised your efforts.

It's good to have more Irish town fans on board. There's another one on the way in 6 months time :)
Posted by: barralad, November 29, 2015, 6:45pm; Reply: 68
Thanks Mark. Apologies we didn't make the trust bar, we were slow getting down and it was busy with everyone trying to thaw out a bit. From my point of view it was a pleasure bringing Darragh and Jimmy along and glad they had such a good day. There's a really nice feel to the Club at the moment. Let's hope we can hold onto it in the Football League next season!

Hmmm wouldn't be anything to do with jumbo sized portions of Steel's finest would it? ;D ;D
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 29, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 69

No problem Jonny it was a bit full on trying to make it a memorable as possible for them, but the opportunity for Darragh dad to meet up Podge on the pitch before kickoff was the icing on the cake I think.

It was a pleasure to be able to something special for them, we have the best fans in the country. Darragh face was a picture when he was told the signed shirt was for him.

I hope you enjoyed yourself as well and whistle stop tour of Blundell Park

Photos are on the way to you as I type

Posted by: RoboCod, November 30, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 70
A great write up in the GET [url]http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Luck-Irish-Darragh-s-Mariners-match-ends-victory/story-28263733-detail/story.html[/url]

A fantastic well done to all concerned, makes my day to read this stuff. Makes me more and more proud to be a Mariner, love to see more of this happening in the future.

What a great club and great supporters. :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 30, 2015, 10:22pm; Reply: 71
Hope you and your dad had a great day Darragh. It's a great old club and hope you come to love it like we do.

Reading about your dad coaching Podge sounds like an omen. What are the chances of that? Maybe it IS our year.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 9:18pm