Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Barrattstander, November 23, 2015, 1:46pm
The Daily Mail has a big feature about Jamie Vardy today and finishes with a list of 5 non-league stars who could follow Vardy to the big time:-
Xavier Vidal (Welling)
Moses Emmanuel (Bromley)
Jack Munns (Cheltenham)
John-Paul Kissock (Ebbsfleet)
and....Omar Bogle.
Posted by: Dan, November 23, 2015, 2:01pm; Reply: 1
I've seen Xavier Vidal play a few times when he was at Dulwich Hamlet....and I don't see it.
Posted by: Grantley, November 23, 2015, 2:20pm; Reply: 2
Kissocks near enough 26 isn't he? Would he get to the Prem at that age?
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 23, 2015, 2:30pm; Reply: 3
JP Kissock? Give it a rest, he's not even good enough for the conference! Shite journalism (shouldn't be surprised, it is the Mail).
Posted by: lukeo, November 23, 2015, 2:41pm; Reply: 4
happy Amond is out of the spot light :-)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 23, 2015, 2:50pm; Reply: 5
Lee Gregory was probably the most exciting forward in the conference a few years ago and he has found his level at League 1. Suspect all of the above are not as good as Gregory (although not seen Emmanuel) and will find themselves plying their trade in top end league 2 clubs in the next couple of seasons.
Posted by: acko338, November 23, 2015, 2:57pm; Reply: 6
Let's hope that the last one on the list is with a very local club that are plying their trade at the top end of League 2 at least !

preferably next season !
Posted by: moosey_club, November 23, 2015, 3:17pm; Reply: 7
Vardy even at conference level was easily recognisable as going places, the modern game is more about pace than anything and he has that, dont think any of the mentioned have that at anything like the same level.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 23, 2015, 3:28pm; Reply: 8
Wasn't Kissock at Everton?

He's on his way down rather than up although he did take the p!ss out of us one Tuesday evening at Southport.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 23, 2015, 4:20pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Barrattstander
The Daily Mail has a big feature about Jamie Vardy today and finishes with a list of 5 non-league stars who could follow Vardy to the big time:-
Xavier Vidal (Welling)
Moses Emmanuel (Bromley)
Jack Munns (Cheltenham)
John-Paul Kissock (Ebbsfleet)
and....Omar Bogle.

I thought Munns was Cheltenham's best player against us whereas Omar had a distinctly average game.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 23, 2015, 4:56pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club
Vardy even at conference level was easily recognisable as going places, the modern game is more about pace than anything and he has that, dont think any of the mentioned have that at anything like the same level.

Although Rob Scott didn't seem to think so...Vardy of course took great delight in demonstrating otherwise when he scored that last minute winner for Fleetwood against us a few years back

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 23, 2015, 5:44pm; Reply: 11
Bogle does have something about him,

When he cuts out the silly mistakes and shows his full potential,

Clubs will offering us big money for him.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, November 23, 2015, 6:41pm; Reply: 12
I stopped reading the article when it said of Moses Emmanuel "The Big Bromley forward'...... Isn't he like 5'6? Last time I checked...... That's wasn't that big!
Posted by: Abdul19, November 23, 2015, 7:02pm; Reply: 13
Wonder how much research goes into quality pieces like this
Posted by: Davec, November 23, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 14
Not much Abdul, says in the article that Carl Magnay still plays for Gateshead
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 23, 2015, 7:45pm; Reply: 15
If it's Bogle then we just need to get a bog sell on clause in his next move.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, November 23, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 16
Kissock as in the one which looks like Frodo Baggins?
Posted by: springstomind, November 23, 2015, 8:37pm; Reply: 17
I'm extremely surprised nobody has mentioned Dominic Vose of Wrexham.  Every time I've seen him he's been way above this level.  Not to mention he absolutely run the show against us. Strong, skilful, composed, eye for goal, eye for a pass the lot, even PH said its possibly the best solo performance he's seen at this level or words to that effect and regardless of what your views are of PH, he has an eye for a player.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 24, 2015, 12:43am; Reply: 18
Quoted from springstomind
I'm extremely surprised nobody has mentioned Dominic Vose of Wrexham.  Every time I've seen him he's been way above this level.  Not to mention he absolutely run the show against us. Strong, skilful, composed, eye for goal, eye for a pass the lot, even PH said its possibly the best solo performance he's seen at this level or words to that effect and regardless of what your views are of PH, he has an eye for a player.

I think most at that game thought the same, I don't think it was anything special about Paul Hurst's comment.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 24, 2015, 10:06am; Reply: 19
The main difference between Bogle and Vardy is attitude and desire.

Bogle is an incredibly raw talent, he most definitely has the ingredients to be a a very, very good player.  I just question how badly he wants it.  He moans too much, pulls up too easily and waves his arms around in a tantrum when things don't go his way.  

Vardy was a complete male private at this level.  He came across as a completely odious individual, but his work-rate and desire was absolutely unmatched, even by Hearn in that season which is saying something!  I think that mean streak that Vardy has/had is also a great asset, as much as his smugness annoyed me previously.  I read at the weekend that when he signed for Leicester he, not his agent, demanded a clause in his contract stating a pay increase when (not if) he got an England cap.    There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance but I like that attitude.  Why settle for second best?    I doubt Bogle has that about him.  

Bogle's big, quick, awkward, strong, knows where the net is and most importantly is quite young.   He'll go up the ladder, be it with us or via a transfer.  But unless he has a massive change of character, I don't think he'll get anywhere near the heights Vardy has reached.  
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 24, 2015, 4:59pm; Reply: 20
Personally I'd like to see people get behind Bogle a little more. He's come from part time football to full time and returned a very decent amount of goals. Yet I just get this feeling that people don't particularly like him or aren't getting behind him in the way I thought they would at the start of the season.

Maybe it's the weight of a big fee that means fans seem to demand him to be a world beater, but he's done pretty well. Vardy didn't set the world alight from day one, neither did Andre Gray. I just feel we should be getting behind Omar more, rather than bemoaning the smallest things about the bloke. I've seen fans get well behind much much lesser strikers at this club.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 24, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from pontoonlew
Personally I'd like to see people get behind Bogle a little more. He's come from part time football to full time and returned a very decent amount of goals. Yet I just get this feeling that people don't particularly like him or aren't getting behind him in the way I thought they would at the start of the season.

Maybe it's the weight of a big fee that means fans seem to demand him to be a world beater, but he's done pretty well. Vardy didn't set the world alight from day one, neither did Andre Gray. I just feel we should be getting behind Omar more, rather than bemoaning the smallest things about the bloke. I've seen fans get well behind much much lesser strikers at this club.

It's a two way thing. He clearly knows where the net is but often takes the wrong option (by shooting himself) for the team. He clearly has a talent but he doesn't come anywhere near the workrate of the other strikers at the club or the guy who preceded him. He's clearly not the finished article - probably why we gave him a three year deal - but I'm not convinced that he plays for the team.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 24, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 22
Jesus give bogle a break . He's made a big step up in class from semi pro football and straight to one of the biggest clubs in non league and higher up the pyramid in reality . He's desperate to prove himself which seems to make him make the wrong decision at times . PH recognises this and his bedding him in slowly , dropping him at times and bringing loan players in . His all round game will click before long and we'll be talking about Omar bogle who used to play for gtfc .
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 25, 2015, 9:55am; Reply: 23
Quoted from pontoonlew

Don't like him. Not getting behind him.  Really?  No-one has said anything other than the glaring obvious about Bogle, loads of talent but questionable mentality.   The fans have been behind Bogle from day one. In fact some could argue that he's had quite favourable support despite some abject performances.    I think Town fans are guilty at times of unfairly getting on the back of players when others get a free reign but this isn't one of those occasions in my opinion.  

I think Bogle has had a very decent start to his Town career.  His goals return backs that up.  I just happen to think he's capable of much more.

Posted by: diehardmariner, November 25, 2015, 9:56am; Reply: 24
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Jesus give bogle a break . He's made a big step up in class from semi pro football and straight to one of the biggest clubs in non league and higher up the pyramid in reality . He's desperate to prove himself which seems to make him make the wrong decision at times . PH recognises this and his bedding him in slowly , dropping him at times and bringing loan players in . His all round game will click before long and we'll be talking about Omar bogle who used to play for gtfc .

I don't mind Bogle making mistakes.  That's part of learning the game and should make him a better player in the long term.  I'm not keen on the mini strops he throws when things don't go his way.
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 25, 2015, 1:11pm; Reply: 25
I think Omar has gone from being a massive fish in a small pond to a small fish in a massive pond by comparison.

He will have been getting all the attention and all the plaudits with his previous club and adjusting to his new environment will take time. It will make or break him as a player so let's hope it makes him. if it does then we have a player with great potential and who might bring a significant fee into the club at some point. If he goes the other way then we have got the wages to pay for 3 years as well as the initial cash investment.

Sometimes football is a gamble. You win some you lose some. PH has seen enough to think the gamble worthwhile. If he is right he becomes a genius, if he is wrong his head is on the old chopping block.
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 4:33pm