Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, November 25, 2015, 2:30pm
James Alibi

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/tractor-boy-joins-town-2818780.aspx
Posted by: Freemoash88, November 25, 2015, 2:31pm; Reply: 1
Looks like our new LJL. Hope his finishing is better  ;D
Posted by: Hagrid, November 25, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 2
I know his name! big powerful striker
Posted by: Henryscat, November 25, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 3
Always handy to have an alibi
Posted by: Abdul19, November 25, 2015, 2:36pm; Reply: 4
5 strikers, interesting. Has there been a setback with Bogle or Pittman's injuries?

I suppose we can't sign anyone after today until January - and it's nice to have options.
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 25, 2015, 2:57pm; Reply: 5
Possibly Bogle's injury, but possibly PH has been made aware that Jones will be going back at the end of his month and so needs someone in. If this is the last day that we can get loan players in does that means we cannot resign Jones until Jan? Anyone know the rules??
Posted by: Stew0_0, November 25, 2015, 3:03pm; Reply: 6
Two cup games coming up. Do they both require us to name 7 subs. I know the FA Cup does.
Best not to leave us short and also when does Alex Jones' loan end soon???
Posted by: ivanosandwich, November 25, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from The Grim Reaper

I don't believe it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 25, 2015, 3:08pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ivanosandwich

I don't believe it.

At least it gives Hurst an excuse if things go wrong. ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, November 25, 2015, 3:12pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Posh Harry
Possibly Bogle's injury, but possibly PH has been made aware that Jones will be going back at the end of his month and so needs someone in. If this is the last day that we can get loan players in does that means we cannot resign Jones until Jan? Anyone know the rules??

Ah yes, could well be that.

His loan ends December 12, but as he's currently registered with us, we can extend it after the deadline (I think)
Posted by: mariner91, November 25, 2015, 3:12pm; Reply: 10
Shame as I'm guessing this means it's unlikely Jones will stay longer?
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 25, 2015, 3:13pm; Reply: 11
It's Alabi, in fact to be totally correct his full name is James Bamidele Oluwatemi Alabi.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 25, 2015, 3:37pm; Reply: 12
FGR say he was worse than Jolley
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 25, 2015, 3:39pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin
It's Alabi, in fact to be totally correct his full name is James Bamidele Oluwatemi Alabi.

A good job Roly Godfrey no longer commentates on Town matches, God knows how he would pronounce that name. ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, November 25, 2015, 3:42pm; Reply: 14
PH can't resist a striker when he sees one as he's out and about. Then he gets home and has to decide what to do with them.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 25, 2015, 4:04pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from GrimRob
PH can't resist a striker when he sees one as he's out and about. Then he gets home and has to decide what to do with them.

sounds like my mrs and shoes.. ;)

Posted by: psgmariner, November 25, 2015, 4:19pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

Jim then.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 25, 2015, 4:34pm; Reply: 17
The lad looks a big unit hope he does well certainly gives us great options up front. We look stronger in depth in all departments.

Come on town, TIME TO  TAKE THIS LEAGUE BY THE SCRUFF OF THE NECK. UTM.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 25, 2015, 4:49pm; Reply: 18
http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/360761/alabi-joining-grimsby-on-loan/#10

Some comments from some farmer chappies.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, November 25, 2015, 4:49pm; Reply: 19
Welcome
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 25, 2015, 5:08pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from moosey_club

sounds like my mrs and shoes.. ;)

The Fishy is the perfect platform for making a comment like that!  ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 25, 2015, 5:37pm; Reply: 21
I hope the idea is for him to be on the bench in case we need to throw the kitchen sink in at the end of a game to get a result. A good option.

What we don't want is for the side to lose the football we've been playing and revert to the hit and hope ball for the big lad to fight for. So I wouldn't want to see him as a regular starter.
Posted by: Sigone, November 25, 2015, 5:45pm; Reply: 22
Maybe someone smarter than me can come up with lyrics to thin lizzy's song "waiting for an alibi"..catchy tune.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 25, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 23
Hes waiting just to catch your eye
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 25, 2015, 5:58pm; Reply: 24
As he waves the defenders bye bye
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 25, 2015, 6:34pm; Reply: 25
Different to what we already have, could have done with a unit like him to bully Fanny Parslow when we played Cheltenham.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 25, 2015, 6:41pm; Reply: 26
Hurst has been looking for a target man type for a while, so i guess that Jones will be going back at the end of his month spell. Gives us options we don't currently have, so i welcome his signing.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 25, 2015, 6:46pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Sigone
Maybe someone smarter than me can come up with lyrics to thin lizzy's song "waiting for an alibi"..catchy tune.

I thought I saw it posted ( youtube ) earlier on this thread, must be losing the plot.... ::)

Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 25, 2015, 6:57pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings
Hurst has been looking for a target man type for a while, so i guess that Jones will be going back at the end of his month spell. Gives us options we don't currently have, so i welcome his signing.

I think he will probably keep Jones, he's a different option and looks a player.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 25, 2015, 7:00pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think he will probably keep Jones, he's a different option and looks a player.

It would be nice to keep them both,

You can never have too many strikers. :)
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, November 25, 2015, 7:13pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

Try saying that when you're drunk.... Or sober for that matter!!
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 25, 2015, 7:16pm; Reply: 31
Looking at the (few) stats on Alabi I've found on the internet (6 feet 1 inch, beefy, left-footed) he might have a sub's role replacing Monkhouse - who can't last 90 mins of every match IMO - allowing us to continue with the same style of play. PH clearly likes to play that way as he's always picked a fit Monkhouse to start, and at the moment we have to play rather differently when we sub Monkey.

Given that Alabi can be used as a 'battering ram' centre forward too, looks an interesting signing to me. Can't believe there'll be any issues with his ability, having read the Ipswich fans' comments about him.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 25, 2015, 7:20pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from arryarryarry

a couple of whom seem to think we are still in League 2 !!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 25, 2015, 7:22pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from moosey_club

a couple of whom seem to think we are still in League 2 !!

AND

One who thinks we are in an easy league.
Posted by: Mariner56, November 25, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 34
http://youtu.be/6FIDCC6m8_E
Posted by: Mariner56, November 25, 2015, 7:37pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mariner56

http://youtu.be/t0M3RJ13P88 Goal v Hartlepool
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 25, 2015, 7:40pm; Reply: 36
As long as we keep Jones looks like a decent addition.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 25, 2015, 8:08pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Hope so. I like the look of Jones but we can't accommodate them all in the matchday squad, so is it feasible to have 2 loan strikers? Depends on the injury situation i suppose.
Posted by: acko338, November 25, 2015, 9:24pm; Reply: 38
CAN WE BRING HIM ON EACH TIME WE WIN A CORNER ?

Why do we hardly ever score from these dead ball situations?

Will Jones move backwards into a central midfield role if he stays?

To be fair, a power forward could be another option, in tight games when opponents play ten at the back !
Posted by: Rik e B, November 25, 2015, 9:32pm; Reply: 39
Texted Scunny supporting mate for any info, his response:

"Decent player mate, scored a few for us"
Posted by: Grimal, November 25, 2015, 10:33pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Rik e B
Texted Scunny supporting mate for any info, his response:

"Decent player mate, scored a few for us"

two loan spells at Scummy ,    10 appearances  -  1 goal.

Posted by: Rik e B, November 25, 2015, 11:10pm; Reply: 41
Numpty  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 26, 2015, 12:47am; Reply: 42
Quoted from grimsby pete

At least it gives Hurst an excuse if things go wrong. ;)

His name's an excuse
His name's an excuse
James Alabi
His name's an excuse.

(well almost).
Posted by: DocTower, November 26, 2015, 7:38am; Reply: 43
Quoted from ginnywings

Hope so. I like the look of Jones but we can't accommodate them all in the matchday squad, so is it feasible to have 2 loan strikers? Depends on the injury situation i suppose.

I wonder if the forward/striker situation of our own players isn't so clear cut .  JJP  as we know won't be fit all season and is or has got a long term problem that we don't know about , Bogle  I liked what I saw first off , now ?. Whether it's because it's his first season as a pro up against better defenders , a different playing style or something else ?  PH sees it all in training so we must trust his judgement. , we still have Podge thank goodness .
Posted by: Maringer, November 26, 2015, 8:24am; Reply: 44
The 'right' sort of signing for us (and for him). Getting younger players in from higher division clubs can only be good for their development and, of course, it theoretically means we get a better quality player (potentially).

As Bogle doesn't seem to be doing particularly well with the hustle and bustle aspect against big defenders, having another physical option available up front is just what we need. Let's hope he has a similarly positive impact to Jones.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 26, 2015, 9:07am; Reply: 45
as the loan window closed last night, i assume it was more of a pre-caution signing incase we got an injury to a striker between now and January
Posted by: gaz57, November 26, 2015, 9:48am; Reply: 46
New song has got to be.

We're only here for an Alabi
We're only here for an Alabi
That's why we turned up
We're only here for an Alabi.
Posted by: fiveallive, November 26, 2015, 11:34am; Reply: 47
He looks a sort of striker we need at times would of been perfect for the games against tranmere and Cheltenham when we just hoofed the ball to nobody, i would rather we play on the deck and pass it about but at least he gives that strength up front.
Posted by: Grim74, November 26, 2015, 11:52am; Reply: 48
new man first name on the sheet then, here we go again!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 26, 2015, 11:59am; Reply: 49
"You can never have too many strikers".
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, November 26, 2015, 12:45pm; Reply: 50
Birmingham possibly close to signing another striker on loan possibility Jones may stay with us
Posted by: Rik e B, November 26, 2015, 1:06pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
"You can never have too many strikers".

Ah yes ole Scotty boy, weren't we top Christmas time then fell away largely due to a million shoddy loan signings and our strikers not getting a settled run in side...

Not trying to churn up negativity about the here and now just that statement didn't sit well with me at the time. I'm sure Hursts got his reasons, JPP made of glass, Bogle injured/claims he's injured a lot/thrown his toys out pram... or whatever the case might be. Or it could be that Jones will be going back or this target man type only just come available.

We never know the absolute truth of Hursty's workings or what goes on.

I just hope we don't revert to the easy hoofball when we've made great progress conciously trying to play it the right way of late. It's a good option to have but not so good if overused; mix it up however and each differing attack method can wreak chaos as opposition don't know what to expect next.
Posted by: acko338, November 26, 2015, 1:18pm; Reply: 52
Any further striker injuries / possible suspensions are now covered, and the strength player that Hurst was looking for has hopefully been found.

Devil if you do, devil if you don't - if no one had been brought in and we had a spate of injuries, then Hurst would be heavily cursed by his knockers for not preparing properly - don't forget these players still have to be paid for, so no signing will be lightly done !

Is this a direct possible solution to not many headed goals from numerous corners in many of the games played?? Someone said that he may be the direct sub for Monkhouse if he flags towards the end of a game.

Extra subs allowed in the cup competitions, so all eventualities could be considered, even a second goalie on the bench??

You can't blame Hurst for not wanting the most cover for most game situations !

I just hope that Jones stays - he looks hungry and has promise, even without a goal glut - he brings something up front to pen up defenses !
Posted by: oldun, November 26, 2015, 1:22pm; Reply: 53
Lenny Mark 2? Tractor fans say he has been different class in their under 21's. See how he gets on in the tough action of The National League.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 26, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 54
Agreed re Jones; he's not brought goals, yet, but he's slotted into our side brilliantly as the perfect foil to those around him  and helping our attacking play become sharp and incisive.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 26, 2015, 6:42pm; Reply: 55
League and cup ( trophy ) double looks on now,

Whatever team Paul puts out in the trophy we will have a good chance of winning,

This must be the strongest squad we have had for years.  8)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 26, 2015, 6:47pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC
Birmingham possibly close to signing another striker on loan possibility Jones may stay with us

They have signed striker James Vaughn from Huddlesfield.

So lets hope Jones stays.
Posted by: Grim74, November 26, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 57
So people on here are happy for him to go straight into the first team to the detriment of the other lads,This man should be back up only playing in the tin pot cup, but no he will be straight in and not on his scoring record but on the basis he looks likes Hursts long gone love.
Posted by: rancido, November 26, 2015, 7:34pm; Reply: 58
He may be a good signing and certainly gives PH another option up front. I just wish that the photo of Alibi in the GET didn't show him wearing one of " those shirts "  !!!!
Posted by: Rik e B, November 26, 2015, 7:41pm; Reply: 59
Bit of a sweeping statement that Grim74. I'd like Jones and Amond to continue their partnership and then whoever looking the most dangerous to start after that. If they drawing blanks and Alabi comes on and grabs a brace I wouldn't begrudge him winning a starting berth.

So because he's an archetypal target man you've made him a hate figure and already conjuring up a stick to beat Hurst with before a ball has been kicked in anger?

I suggest waiting and seeing before firing mouth off but it appears you've already taken the shitlark position of judge, jury and executioner without (most likely) having ever seen him play.

Deary me.
Posted by: Maringer, November 26, 2015, 7:42pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Grim74
So people on here are happy for him to go straight into the first team to the detriment of the other lads,This man should be back up only playing in the tin pot cup, but no he will be straight in and not on his scoring record but on the basis he looks likes Hursts long gone love.

Wow, if that's what you have to say about this young lad who you've never seen play and probably have never heard of, I can only imagine how much you must have slagged off the signing of Jones. After all, he'd never scored any first team goals for any club (and still hasn't) which isn't surprising as he hadn't even made an appearance in senior football before he joined us.

Alabi is enormously experienced in comparison.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 26, 2015, 7:44pm; Reply: 61
Boo... Hursts out!! FFS sort it Fenty!

:-/
Posted by: mariner91, November 26, 2015, 8:28pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Grim74

Yeah! Booooo! Hurst out! For something that hasn't even happened.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 26, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 63
Non sure if this has been mentioned in the previous pages but he played with Omar Bogle when they were both at Celtic.
Posted by: Grim74, November 26, 2015, 9:09pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Rik e B
Bit of a sweeping statement that Grim74. I'd like Jones and Amond to continue their partnership and then whoever looking the most dangerous to start after that. If they drawing blanks and Alabi comes on and grabs a brace I wouldn't begrudge him winning a starting berth.

So because he's an archetypal target man you've made him a hate figure and already conjuring up a stick to beat Hurst with before a ball has been kicked in anger?

I suggest waiting and seeing before firing mouth off but it appears you've already taken the shitlark position of judge, jury and executioner without (most likely) having ever seen him play.

Deary me.

Did Ben Tomlinson and Matt Robinson not happen then??
I seem to remember some unhappy fishy folk on here when Mr Hurst decided to drop better first teamer's just to acommodate his new loans??
Posted by: ginnywings, November 26, 2015, 9:17pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Grim74

Did Ben Tomlinson and Matt Robinson not happen then??
I seem to remember some unhappy fishy folk on here when Mr Hurst decided to drop better first teamer's just to acommodate his new loans??

Better in whose opinion though? Despite Tomlinson not scoring, the results improved when he was in the side and Robinson was much maligned IMO. Wasn't he brought in when Clay had some "personal" issues and Brown was still injured?

Maybe the new lads have been brought in to negotiate the FA Trophy and give some players a breather. I think Hurst has been doing well lately with results and signings and i say that as not one of his biggest fans, so we need to give him some slack and see what transpires.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 26, 2015, 9:55pm; Reply: 66
Tomlinson and Jones both made their debuts from the bench.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 26, 2015, 10:04pm; Reply: 67
Bloody marvelous only here could signing of players be regarded as trying to course friction in the camp. Yeah Hurst wants to upset a wining side to give you lot something to moan about. FFS.
Posted by: Garth, November 26, 2015, 10:54pm; Reply: 68
I trust Hurst regarding signings he`s a deep thinker and is not prone to rash judgements regarding signings, some have not been successful but most have, why not wait and see who starts and who is on the bench and judge it from there
Posted by: toontown, November 27, 2015, 12:20am; Reply: 69
Quoted from ginnywings

Better in whose opinion though? Despite Tomlinson not scoring, the results improved when he was in the side and Robinson was much maligned IMO. Wasn't he brought in when Clay had some "personal" issues and Brown was still injured?

Maybe the new lads have been brought in to negotiate the FA Trophy and give some players a breather. I think Hurst has been doing well lately with results and signings and i say that as not one of his biggest fans, so we need to give him some slack and see what transpires.

The results have improved a lot more since Tomlinson has been left out of our starting 11 that's for sure!!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 27, 2015, 11:21am; Reply: 70
Looking at Alabi in action he looks like a younger version of John Lewis.
Posted by: Rick12, November 27, 2015, 12:40pm; Reply: 71
Good on Hurst.Quite pleased with who we have signed on paper on loan eg the Ipswich lad and now the ex Arsenal player
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, November 27, 2015, 12:46pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from toontown

The results have improved a lot more since Tomlinson has been left out of our starting 11 that's for sure!!

Agree, but I'd say his presence made the other strikers realise they needed to up their game to get back in and perform well in other aspects of the game.
Posted by: acko338, November 27, 2015, 12:49pm; Reply: 73
Everyone (including me) asks for a new central midfielder to boost the squad - he signs one - everyone now starts to grumble! (not including me !)

Let the next month play out, and see what results in cups and league pan out, and later league position we're in after the holidays, then if everyone's still unhappy, they at least will have a clear reason to moan !!

I think that he is signing hunger, with players wanting to play and prove themselves !C

Could have the possibilities of our best squad in years !!

Roll on Saturday !!!
Posted by: ginnywings, November 27, 2015, 1:42pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from toontown

They have yes but i'm talking about how the results improved when Tomlinson came in, not as they are now. Amond has been a better player since and has admitted that he realised he had to work harder after watching Tomlinson, who took his place in the side.
Posted by: rancido, November 27, 2015, 7:47pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from ginnywings

They have yes but i'm talking about how the results improved when Tomlinson came in, not as they are now. Amond has been a better player since and has admitted that he realised he had to work harder after watching Tomlinson, who took his place in the side.

Therefore the end justifies the means! Sometimes certain players need a reality check to make them up their game and play to their potential.
Posted by: Rick12, November 27, 2015, 8:02pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from rancido

Therefore the end justifies the means! Sometimes certain players need a reality check to make them up their game and play to their potential.
And why playing with better players helps players improve their game.Hence at our level some of the youths could learn a thing a two from the likes of Disley and Gowling.

Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 1:43am