Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: davmariner, November 28, 2015, 6:28pm
Deserves a thread of his own. What a brilliant player, once again excellent today.

Sign him up for the season, Paul!
Posted by: RichMariner, November 28, 2015, 6:41pm; Reply: 1
I work with someone who knows his family.

He's got his head screwed on. Spent time on loan in Scotland, apparently, and although he did well he didn't enjoy being so far away from home.

Not that I think we have a realistic chance of signing him permanently, but from what I gather he would prefer to stay locally.

At least in the short term he'll realise that he's playing games and playing in a good team that wins regularly. That's got to be enjoyable, no matter what level it's at.
Posted by: WappingMariner, November 28, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 2
From 'Just Back' thread but also relevant for this one.

Conor Townsend man of the match for me today. Excellent to watch a player who is prepared to take risks and has so much confidence in his own ability. He also benefits of the experience that Monkhouse provides. That combination on the left seems to be our main outlet at the moment.

Our best chance in the first half arrived when Townsend controlled the ball close to the touchline. He played it to Monkhouse who threaded it neatly down the wing for Townsend to latch on to. He then played in a superb cross but Arnold's weak header could only force the keeper to concede a corner.

I also like Townsend's positioning when going forward. You'd think as a left-back he should be mindful of how far up the pitch he goes when he's not directly involved in the first phases of play or on the other side of the pitch (build-up to Amond's goal). This is where Josh Gowling deserves a mention too. Monkhouse isn't quick enough to cover so Josh has to do that and he is perfectly capable as he proved numerous times today.

The goal personified Townsend for me. He didn't rush when the ball fell to him. No, he waited calmly a second or two before lofting the ball with the outside of his left foot and into the centre of the box where Amond was in a brilliant position to glance home.

I'd be very, very happy if we could keep Townsend until the end of the season.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), November 28, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 3
Townsend to Sheffield United in January

Mark my words
Posted by: Abdul19, November 28, 2015, 7:45pm; Reply: 4
I'll guess Grimsby.
Posted by: chaos33, November 28, 2015, 7:48pm; Reply: 5
Why should we mark your words? Pretty much everything you post is utter cobblers. :)
Posted by: barralad, November 28, 2015, 7:49pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33
Why should we mark your words? Pretty much everything you post is utter cobblers. :)

(2guns)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 28, 2015, 10:32pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 120790
Townsend to Sheffield United in January

Mark my words

Based upon?

Posted by: OllieGTFC, November 28, 2015, 11:24pm; Reply: 8
Honestly reckon we will keep him to the end of the season, no one will want him Coz he can't play in the FA Cup no more Coz he has played for us, he will be with us on the train to promotion  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 28, 2015, 11:40pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from chaos33

I thought he'd know because he's Getyourfactsright isn't he?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 29, 2015, 7:28am; Reply: 10
I'm in the Lower findus and one wag had him sniggering when he kept shouting skin that Gypo conor.

Seriously though it was great to see Monkhouse talking to Townsend and giving him subttle little hand gestures where he wanted the ball on throw ins ect.

The mark of a class player is the amount of time he as on the ball and the confidence. he as both in abundance.

Both players are super cool and intelligent against a park the bus outfit they cracked the defence with a lovely ball to podge who still needed a great finish but the vision was there.

He looks as though he is loving his time here lets hope he finishes the season with us at least.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 29, 2015, 12:18pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from RichMariner
I work with someone who knows his family.

He's got his head screwed on. Spent time on loan in Scotland, apparently, and although he did well he didn't enjoy being so far away from home.

Not that I think we have a realistic chance of signing him permanently, but from what I gather he would prefer to stay locally.

At least in the short term he'll realise that he's playing games and playing in a good team that wins regularly. That's got to be enjoyable, no matter what level it's at.

He had six months on loan at Dundee United after his spell at Chesterfield when he left us the first time. He did well up there too. I remember watching the Dundee derby and he set up the first or second goal from a cross.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 29, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 12
He has been easily our best player since he arrived and from left back is our biggest creative force. The club should be looking to take him permanently if at all possible, offer him a good long term deal with a non promotion clause for the end of the season. He could easily be the difference.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 29, 2015, 3:36pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from headingly_mariner
He has been easily our best player since he arrived and from left back is our biggest creative force. The club should be looking to take him permanently if at all possible, offer him a good long term deal with a non promotion clause for the end of the season. He could easily be the difference.

The problem is that while he is playing really well for us his agent will be talking to every possible manager/scout in the FL and elsewhere about him and getting them to our games to see him before the window opens.

The best we can hope for is that anyone who is pushing for promotion in the FL spend their budget on attacking players and we keep him until the end of the season. Looking at what he could be I think he could be even if we went up it would be a massive task to sign him permanently..  

Posted by: oldun, November 30, 2015, 5:35pm; Reply: 14
The thing is though, he may be on other club's radar, but the fact is either no-one made him an offer or if they did, he did not fancy it and chose to come here instead because of location. Also remember he will still be on his Hull City wages, even though we will be paying part. He will maybe find it difficult to get the same elsewhere when he leaves Hull.
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 30, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 15
Maybe with Operation Promotion plus hopefully round three in the cup can persuade him to come to us.
Posted by: Meza, November 30, 2015, 8:38pm; Reply: 16
I've heard rumours scunny are sniffing around.....not reliable just putting it out there.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 30, 2015, 11:22pm; Reply: 17
He was there last season for a couple of months.
Posted by: acko338, December 1, 2015, 7:15am; Reply: 18
If he wants to play in front of a smaller crowd attendance on a regular basis???
Posted by: jonnyboy82, December 1, 2015, 7:44am; Reply: 19
I really like him but richard taits performances shouldnt be allowed to slip under the radar recently.

He has been doing a very good job the other side of defence too
Posted by: Caesar, December 1, 2015, 9:02am; Reply: 20
I think he has made a huge difference to us, Monk and Robertson are both decent on the left but meant we lacked pace, as a result we sometimes were not pressing as high on the left side allowing teams to get at us, and also less likely to expose teams on the left side.  Now Monks experience is supported by a very classy and quick support.  Agree with Jonny that Tait has also been very impressive but it seems to me that a lot of our goals now our coming either directly or indirectly from that left side.  Would love it if he stays with us longer but will have to see what happens.  
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 1, 2015, 9:05am; Reply: 21
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I really like him but richard taits performances shouldnt be allowed to slip under the radar recently.

He has been doing a very good job the other side of defence too

He has generally played well but I thought Saturday was a real off day for him, wasteful with the ball and got caught ball watching a couple of times first half that could have cost us.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 1, 2015, 9:08am; Reply: 22
Townsend has been absolutely superb since coming back but we have to accept that he will be attracting the interest of other clubs, as dearly as I would love him to stay here for a very, very long time.

For once location has gone in our favour with this one but, like it or not, Scunny, Doncaster, Sheffield United and Barnsley are just four teams within just as commutable distance for the lad and in higher leagues than us but lower than Hull.

If Townsend ends up staying here until the end of the season, it will be the biggest rabbit that Hurst has pulled out of his hat to date.  

Back to the player himself and his performances.  I think it's really refreshing to see a player from such a higher level who is aware of the importance of playing competitive football.  Too many young players are happy to sit in the stands admiring their own non-achievements.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, December 1, 2015, 3:21pm; Reply: 23
quote: Back to the player himself and his performances.  I think it's really refreshing to see a player from such a higher level who is aware of the importance of playing competitive football.  Too many young players are happy to sit in the stands admiring their own non-achievements. unquote

This is what sets him apart, and also the reason why England are no good - an abundance of players who would rather rake in undeserved fortunes for doing sodomist-all, than get off their arses and play regular football.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 5:01am