Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, November 30, 2015, 10:45pm
No male footballers on the list again this year. Has to be Sir Kev  for me but I can't see him winning it.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 30, 2015, 11:28pm; Reply: 1
I'm not sure why there would be (a male footballer). I'm guessing McCoy will get the lifetime thing. And Ella Henderson's performing apparently.

Hang on, No Joe Root?!?!
Posted by: pizzzza, December 1, 2015, 7:18am; Reply: 2
I see Murray is the bookies favourite, but the only thing he has won this year is a team event.... My top three:

1. Froome
2. Farah
3. Fury
Posted by: DocTower, December 1, 2015, 7:35am; Reply: 3
Hamilton  must be up there  , as regards Murray take him out of the Davis Cup team and we have nothing . Team winners must be our paraplegic squad  .  
Posted by: cjbill, December 1, 2015, 7:39am; Reply: 4
I'm surprised that Joe Root isn't there but what I don't get is the lack of Tai Woffinden, who won his 2nd Speedway World Championship and 3rd consecutive British Championship this year. I know it's a minority sport but it is still a huge achievement in sport.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, December 1, 2015, 8:51am; Reply: 5
I know it's not easy to drive an F1 car and you need to be supremely fit but if you have the fastest car on the grid it does make things much easier. If he was in the Ferrari this season, he would be mid table.

It is also a team event, factory, car, mechanics, pit crew, support staff etc all help to make him the World Champion.

Wheras someone like Farah, Murray or Fury rely on the limits of their own bodies to make them the best at their chosen sport. Yes I know they all have teams behind them but compared to Hamilton, they put much more into getting to the top.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 1, 2015, 9:00am; Reply: 6
Quoted from ivanosandwich
I know it's not easy to drive an F1 car and you need to be supremely fit but if you have the fastest car on the grid it does make things much easier. If he was in the Ferrari this season, he would be mid table.

It is also a team event, factory, car, mechanics, pit crew, support staff etc all help to make him the World Champion.

Wheras someone like Farah, Murray or Fury rely on the limits of their own bodies to make them the best at their chosen sport. Yes I know they all have teams behind them but compared to Hamilton, they put much more into getting to the top.

Plus F1 is the most pointless waste of time ever and isn't even a sport.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, December 1, 2015, 9:03am; Reply: 7
Quoted from ginnywings

Plus F1 is the most pointless waste of time ever and isn't even a sport.

Yes I forgot that.

It's a faster version of the Cleethorpes carnival. Once they get into line after the first corner, that's it for 2 hours, then they all stop.
Posted by: Caesar, December 1, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 8
I do get that Tyson Fury did something that was very impressive and deserves a lot of respect.  But at the same time the guy is such a class A c*** that I really don't want him anywhere near it.  

Certainly think while Murry hasn't collected a grand slam this year he has carried GB to a Davis Cup we were totally useless in a couple of years ago so have to give him all the credit for that.
Posted by: GrimRob, December 1, 2015, 9:55am; Reply: 9
[quote=130]I'm not sure why there would be (a male footballer). I/quote]

I didn't think anyone from football should be on the list just that it's depressing our main sports (football and cricket) are not contributing again. Some of the people of the list I don't even know who they are, although that's probably my failing rather than the fact they don't deserve it.

Lizzie Armitstead, Lucy Bronze, Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farah, Chris Froome, Tyson Fury, Lewis Hamilton, Andy Murray, Adam Peaty, Greg Rutherford, Kevin Sinfield, Max Whitlock.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 1, 2015, 10:06am; Reply: 10
I find the Sports Personality of the Year a big BBC borefest and haven't watched it since i was about 15 but then i hate awards shows of any kind in any field.
Posted by: LH, December 1, 2015, 11:15am; Reply: 11
If I wanted to watch a load of bell ends going too fast around in a circle I'd move my armchair to Moody Lane roundabout. I find people who see F1 as their main sport as proper dullards.

Agree fully about SPOTY being just another awards show. I'm expecting at least one montage with an Adele song as a backing track but it's more likely to be at least three!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 1, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 12
Quoted from DocTower
Hamilton  must be up there  , as regards Murray take him out of the Davis Cup team and we have nothing . Team winners must be our paraplegic squad  .  

No thanks to Hamilton. I was annoyed he won last time and stood there saying how proud he was to be British despite the fact  he lives in a tax haven saving paying millions in taxes to us- 2 faced Twit >:(
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, December 1, 2015, 12:31pm; Reply: 13
Stuck a tenner on Jessica Ennis after she won gold in August so I hope and think that she deserves to win.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 1, 2015, 12:35pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ginnywings
I find the Sports Personality of the Year a big BBC borefest and haven't watched it since i was about 15 but then i hate awards shows of any kind in any field.

Sports "personality"? A few of this years actually have one.

Posted by: Tradjazz, December 1, 2015, 12:36pm; Reply: 15
What a bore this program is.
Only Jessica deserves to be on the list.

As for Murray, well! Remember he's British when he wins but Scottish when he loses. He would make a very good professional mourner.
Posted by: LH, December 1, 2015, 12:45pm; Reply: 16
Andy Murray's brother is no better off in the personality stakes either. I bet Christmas dinner at theirs is "fun".
Posted by: barralad, December 1, 2015, 1:30pm; Reply: 17
Anybody but Hamilton...
Posted by: WetFlannel, December 1, 2015, 1:40pm; Reply: 18
We shouldn't have footballers or cricketers on the list. This award is for irrelevant sports. They all get together and toast their competitiveness at sports no one gives a excrement about to make themselves feel better, knowing fully well that more people would watch Welling v Guiseley on TV than any of the excrement they play.
Posted by: Biccys, December 1, 2015, 1:41pm; Reply: 19
The Murray's aren't miserable. That's just what Scotch (!) people are like when they aren't allowed chips.

(Credit Frankie Boyle!)
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 1, 2015, 2:54pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings

What about a Champions award presentation on a football field in late April ?  ;)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 1, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 21
I think Jessica  Ennis-Hill will win, and fully-deserved.   Surprised that she has not won before.  
Posted by: ginnywings, December 1, 2015, 3:42pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Civvy at last

What about a Champions award presentation on a football field in late April ?  ;)

Only if it's GTFC.
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 1, 2015, 3:58pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

Only if it's GTFC.

Didn't realise there was another option !! ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 1, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from barralad
Anybody but Hamilton...

He stands a excellent chance of winning,

"International Playboy Of The Year " , Ian
Posted by: GrimRob, December 21, 2015, 9:26am; Reply: 25
I was quite impressed that Sir Kev came a strong second (not least as I had a small 100/1 each way bet on him a few months ago). Had Murray Mint not single handidly won the Davis Cup then he might actually have won which would have been a great acheivement for a low profile sport like RL.
Posted by: barralad, December 21, 2015, 9:38am; Reply: 26
Quoted from GrimRob
I was quite impressed that Sir Kev came a strong second (not least as I had a small 100/1 each way bet on him a few months ago). Had Murray Mint not single handidly won the Davis Cup then he might actually have won which would have been a great acheivement for a low profile sport like RL.

Came across as a thoroughly decent bloke as well.
Posted by: Davec, December 21, 2015, 9:50am; Reply: 27
Did anybody spot Lawrie Mcmenemy in the audience ? I did
Posted by: ginnywings, December 21, 2015, 10:16am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Davec

I'd have had to watch it for that to happen and there was no chance of that.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 21, 2015, 10:52am; Reply: 29
Strange how someone without a personality won it?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 21, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 30
I was pleased for Kevin Sinfield, well deserved accolade for a through & through pro and nice for RL to get recognised as well.

Why Joe Root wasn't nominated I'll never know though.
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, December 21, 2015, 1:50pm; Reply: 31
I'm convinced O'Neil only got coach of the year cos it was being held in Belfast!
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 21, 2015, 2:03pm; Reply: 32
To be honest I'd never heard of Kevin Sinfield until the shortlist was announced.

Dont really do any of this egg-chasing nonsense.  :)
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 21, 2015, 2:28pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Les Brechin
To be honest I'd never heard of Kevin Sinfield until the shortlist was announced.

Dont really do any of this egg-chasing nonsense.  :)

Who?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 21, 2015, 3:38pm; Reply: 34
I was pleased for Kevin Sinfield, well deserved accolade for a through & through pro and nice for RL to get recognised as well.

Why Joe Root wasn't nominated I'll never know though.

Because Cricket now "belongs" to Sky I would imagine and the BBC have still got the hump from when they lost it a decade or so ago,  
Posted by: Abdul19, December 21, 2015, 4:17pm; Reply: 35
The BBC lost it to Channel 4 (who then lost it to Sky) though. Ian Bell was nominated 2 years ago and Strauss and Cook 2 years prior to that.

Root's omission is a baffler though.
Posted by: MidnightMariner, December 21, 2015, 5:03pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Davec

I never noticed him..... But i did see aaron rattray 😀

UTM
Posted by: Davec, December 21, 2015, 5:35pm; Reply: 37
Oh was Aaron Rattray there ;D

I remember him as a poster, few years before I started posting,where has he gone anyway ?
Posted by: Abdul19, December 21, 2015, 7:30pm; Reply: 38
Young Offenders I think.
Posted by: LH, December 21, 2015, 7:35pm; Reply: 39
He went on to become Justin Bieber.
Posted by: Meza, December 21, 2015, 7:37pm; Reply: 40
Surprised Rooney wasn't nominated for his international achievements
Posted by: Rick12, December 21, 2015, 7:53pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Caesar
I do get that Tyson Fury did something that was very impressive and deserves a lot of respect.  But at the same time the guy is such a class A c*** that I really don't want him anywhere near it.  
Wouldent go that far eg calling him a class A c**** .Said a few extreme things but comes from a  minority background (traveller) where being macho is probably the order of the day hence his views on gays.At least preaches some good stuff on his twitter though about Jesus and God .For me though take away the bad stuff he has said(lets face it who is perfect)and  I think what you have is  a entertainer who is  quite funny and a man with honesty and balls.  
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 1:20am