Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Belfast Town, February 4, 2016, 7:15pm
Some great old footage from the Old Show Ground:

http://youtu.be/p3RFJQkR3_M
Posted by: barralad, February 4, 2016, 7:37pm; Reply: 1
One of my first away games. Surely that performance should get Graham Oates legend status?
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 4, 2016, 7:47pm; Reply: 2
Hope today's yoof notice. Not a clone island jumper or a single zit in sight 😉
Posted by: Badger57, February 4, 2016, 7:53pm; Reply: 3
Was that the one where we took over Donny Road end? ..........Well we got there early and stayed until the Scunny fans turned up and chased us out! Lololol 😆 Might of been 71-72 season that happened though. First away game on my own with mates from school!  
Posted by: barralad, February 4, 2016, 8:05pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Civvy at last
Hope today's yoof notice. Not a clone island jumper or a single zit in sight 😉

Yeah...it pre dated budgie jumpers. Probably just before white butcher coats  ;D ;D
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 4, 2016, 8:13pm; Reply: 5
Stuffing the Scunthorpe since 1970 :)
Posted by: thevera, February 4, 2016, 8:38pm; Reply: 6
Not sure the ref saw the handball by Bobby Ross but he may have got away with a caution there as it looked deliberate!
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, February 4, 2016, 9:28pm; Reply: 7
Used to work with Bobby Ross briefly. Really down to earth bloke and like many of that era made sod all from football.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 4, 2016, 10:10pm; Reply: 8
I was at that game and unfortunately it was the time when hooligans decided to take over football. Pelted with bricks (full not half!) on the way back to the train but we lived to tell the tale.

It was a terrible time for the Mariners around that time, until Big Mac arrived to perform a miracle.  
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, February 5, 2016, 10:03am; Reply: 9
Before they scored the penalty, we could have had two red cards and a yellow. That is going by today's standards. :)
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 5, 2016, 10:19am; Reply: 10
I was in the end where we scored our goals. :)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 5, 2016, 11:44am; Reply: 11
It was the season before i started going regularly. Was a paper seller at BP in the 70/71 season and again the following season until i started to spend more time watching the game than selling newspapers. By the end of the 71/72 season i was hooked for life having given up the paper job mid season. First time i went to Scunthorpe was when the train got trashed on the way home. What year was that?
Posted by: Mallyner, February 5, 2016, 11:49am; Reply: 12
I was at that game and I seem to remember than Scunny hooligans threw glass bottles at the stand roof, so that they burst above our supporters. I was in a side stand and was near to the old guy who used to shout 'Up the Mariners' in a really slow drawn out manner. I think he was the same guy who used to shout 'Evening Telegrouf.'
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 5, 2016, 12:01pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mallyner
I was at that game and I seem to remember than Scunny hooligans threw glass bottles at the stand roof, so that they burst above our supporters. I was in a side stand and was near to the old guy who used to shout 'Up the Mariners' in a really slow drawn out manner. I think he was the same guy who used to shout 'Evening Telegrouf.'

I remember that, most seasons around that time both sets of fans stood in the same stand, usually the Donny Road end baiting each other.

We walked to the other end at half-time as we were attacking that way in the second half.
Posted by: golfer, February 6, 2016, 8:11am; Reply: 14
You lot have got good memories,I can only remember the game because it was the first week that I drew my old age pension. I think it was £1..2/6
Posted by: thevera, February 6, 2016, 8:30am; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer
You lot have got good memories,I can only remember the game because it was the first week that I drew my old age pension. I think it was £1..2/6

Your memory can't be that bad if you can remember how much your old age pension was considering you are 110!
Posted by: Garth, February 6, 2016, 9:32am; Reply: 16
Quoted from golfer

You must have been on supplements then, because I only got £2,1/3
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 4:45am