Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 14, 2016, 10:40pm
It's been reported that the Woking players won't get any win bonuses unless then finish in the top five position. Good tactic to make them try harder or likely to peeve them off and not bother?

Also reported to have lost £437,000 last year. How the hell can clubs carry on like that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35573297
Posted by: Abdul19, February 14, 2016, 10:58pm; Reply: 1
I thought bonuses HAD to be decided before the season started?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2016, 10:59pm; Reply: 2
How much debt do we have?
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 14, 2016, 11:06pm; Reply: 3
This is a fenty bashing thread in the making.
Posted by: barralad, February 14, 2016, 11:08pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from ginnywings
How much debt do we have?

My Town supporting mate who is a number cruncher in the world of finance (no, not a banker!) is forever reminding me that "debt" isn't a problem per se. The problem comes when those owed the money lose confidence in the ability of the business to service the debt.
Doesn't and won't ever stop me from being worried about the true level of Town's debts-an amount that seems to be shrouded in mystery... :o
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 14, 2016, 11:12pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
This is a fenty bashing thread in the making.

You just broke the 1st rule of Fenty Bashing Club (FBC).
Posted by: GrimRob, February 14, 2016, 11:41pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MarinerRob
It's been reported that the Woking players won't get any win bonuses unless then finish in the top five position. Good tactic to make them try harder or likely to peeve them off and not bother?

Also reported to have lost £437,000 last year. How the hell can clubs carry on like that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35573297

We've had a few years with that kind of loss so I wouldn't be too critical. As ever there are loads of clubs (us included) over-stretching themselves trying to compete for a handful of prizes. If we actually tried to live within our means we'd be a lot further down the league table I suspect.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2016, 11:49pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from barralad

My Town supporting mate who is a number cruncher in the world of finance (no, not a banker!) is forever reminding me that "debt" isn't a problem per se. The problem comes when those owed the money lose confidence in the ability of the business to service the debt.
Doesn't and won't ever stop me from being worried about the true level of Town's debts-an amount that seems to be shrouded in mystery... :o

It'll be 9. Million.  ;)
Posted by: blasty, February 14, 2016, 11:50pm; Reply: 8
If everyone in the division lived within their means do you think we would be much lower in league position?
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 15, 2016, 12:07am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Marinerz93

You just broke the 1st rule of Fenty Bashing Club (FBC).

;)
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2016, 12:13am; Reply: 10
Quoted from blasty
If everyone in the division lived within their means do you think we would be much lower in league position?

That Sir is an excellent point!!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 15, 2016, 12:16am; Reply: 11
Let he is who is without sin cast the first stone was my point. Not 'bashing' anyone.

As Rob points out, debt is a given in football and as Barra points out, manageable debt is fine.
Posted by: DocTower, February 15, 2016, 7:59am; Reply: 12
Quoted from blasty

I think if there were no hand outs from the FA to division 2 clubs it would look very different,. Dagenham on Saturday crowd 1750 , Accrington,  2000 , and the list goes on . Just how can some of the club's in our division carry on without a sugar daddy . Without us in this division taking massive away support to some of these clubs some would be in big trouble .  That's why they want to keep us here .
Posted by: wigworld, February 15, 2016, 9:45am; Reply: 13
Quoted from DocTower

That's why they want to keep us here .

Luton and Bristol Rovers seemed to escape from here...

Posted by: grimsby pete, February 15, 2016, 10:02am; Reply: 14
As far as I am aware we do not owe anybody any money,

The money given to the club is in benign loans,

John Fenty has said on many occasions that he does not want his money back ,

Unless we are in a position to afford it,

So we are fine.

The sticking point is he will want it back if some Mr Moneybags wants to invest in our club,
Posted by: MarinerRob, February 15, 2016, 11:40am; Reply: 15
My point what I was trying to make is - by threatening to not pay any win bonus unless they finish in the 'top five' was whether it's a good tactic by Woking to make their players try harder so they ensure they get the money or will they say 'stuff that' and it will backfire.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, February 15, 2016, 4:09pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from MarinerRob
My point what I was trying to make is - by threatening to not pay any win bonus unless they finish in the 'top five' was whether it's a good tactic by Woking to make their players try harder so they ensure they get the money or will they say 'stuff that' and it will backfire.

The latter I hope ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 15, 2016, 7:57pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from DocTower

I think if there were no hand outs from the FA to division 2 clubs it would look very different,. Dagenham on Saturday crowd 1750 , Accrington,  2000 , and the list goes on . Just how can some of the club's in our division carry on without a sugar daddy . Without us in this division taking massive away support to some of these clubs some would be in big trouble .  That's why they want to keep us here .

Good point, interesting to see that we had a bigger gate on Saturday than Newport, Accrington, Dagenham, Hartlepool (just), Morecombe,  Wycombe and York.  

Lets hope we don't blow all the good will we have in the Town by blowing our promotion chances this year............
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 7:57am