Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, April 25, 2016, 7:06am
Please enter your nomination for last week....
Posted by: codcheeky, April 25, 2016, 12:23pm; Reply: 1
Jeremy Hunt
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 25, 2016, 12:55pm; Reply: 2
Barak Obama
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 25, 2016, 5:27pm; Reply: 3
1) Barack Obama
2) David Cameron
3) Grimsby Council
Posted by: Grim74, April 25, 2016, 7:36pm; Reply: 4
Barrack Obama worst president in living memory.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 25, 2016, 9:03pm; Reply: 5
Barrack Obama
Posted by: GrimRob, April 25, 2016, 9:53pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Grim74

You can't have lived very long considering George W Bush came before him.
Posted by: chaos33, April 25, 2016, 10:22pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Grim74

You must have a very short memory mate.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 25, 2016, 10:54pm; Reply: 8
Must be a lot of Kippers in today.
Posted by: kamakazebear, April 25, 2016, 10:50pm; Reply: 9
Wrawby because we never get a result!
Posted by: Grim74, April 26, 2016, 2:58pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GrimRob

You can't have lived very long considering George W Bush came before him.

Ask the average American and you will probably be told that the useless youth club leader has been a total disaster with crime rates, welfare and unemployment all on the up since he took office, and as for the national debt well it's doubled!

Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 26, 2016, 8:54pm; Reply: 11
A lot of that debt has been accrued paying for Bush's wars, and pursuing a stimulus package to push the yanks out of Bush's recession
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 26, 2016, 9:26pm; Reply: 12
And don't forget he's the only person to have been able to drive through a healthcare package that is anything like a NHS. Given the way powers are balanced by the US constitution that's a heck of an achievement.

In decades to come it'll be that that gets remembered.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 26, 2016, 9:29pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from KingstonMariner
And don't forget he's the only person to have been able to drive through a healthcare package that is anything like a NHS. Given the way powers are balanced by the US constitution that's a heck of an achievement.

In decades to come it'll be that that gets remembered.

Barack will also be remembered as a hypocrite telling UK voters that we'll be back of the queue if we vote to leave the EU, when the US would never give away the governance we have.

Do as I say, not as I do.
Posted by: Grim74, April 27, 2016, 8:56am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Marinerz93

Barack will also be remembered as a hypocrite telling UK voters that we'll be back of the queue if we vote to leave the EU, when the US would never give away the governance we have.

He will be remembered as the anti British president who achieved nothing, the president who blamed terrorism on climate change, the president who couldn't utter the words 'radical islamic terrorism' the president who was supposed to improve the lives of working class African Americans that now find themselves in a racial division at an all time high.
Posted by: Garth, April 27, 2016, 9:39am; Reply: 15
Surely if we are going to be back of the Q regarding trade agreements if we vote to opt out, America should be at the back of our Q regarding US air force bases etc within the UK, yes I know there`s NATO within the equation.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 27, 2016, 10:25am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Marinerz93

Yes they do, the clue's in the name - United States. Once upon a time America was a bunch of loosley connected states that joined together into a single economic and political entity, each retaining its own local juristiction. Sound familiar? Play the tape forward and the USA now's what the EU will be like in a few decades time. It might even be called the USE.
Posted by: barralad, April 27, 2016, 12:22pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Marinerz93

All Obama did was point out the fact that America is shrewd enough to work out that their need  to maximise their trade will mean that their efforts will go into securing a deal with a trading bloc rather than a single country. The fact that he's had some stick from the Leave campaign suggests that they are worried.
Why put this country in the position of having to negotiate a separate agreement when we already are on the verge of one with the E.U. with no guarantee we could get a better one?
If Obama's intervention is deemed to be sticking his nose in can we expect equal condemnation of the anti E.U Marine Le Pen who is coming to bolster the out campaign?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 27, 2016, 1:06pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from barralad

All Obama did was point out the fact that America is shrewd enough to work out that their need  to maximise their trade will mean that their efforts will go into securing a deal with a trading bloc rather than a single country. The fact that he's had some stick from the Leave campaign suggests that they are worried.
Why put this country in the position of having to negotiate a separate agreement when we already are on the verge of one with the E.U. with no guarantee we could get a better one?
If Obama's intervention is deemed to be sticking his nose in can we expect equal condemnation of the anti E.U Marine Le Pen who is coming to bolster the out campaign?

You have a valid point the INS and OUTS are all bringing the big hitters to play and non of them are British so should keep their beaks out.Personally I fail to see what difference it will make to my daily life in or out BUT I am prepared to risk an OUT vote cos I cant see how things could possibly be any worse? If the Russians decide to nuke us cos were on our own you only have to look at History to see we never got much help from the rest of Europe anyhow and the Yanks held back til they had Pearl Harbour.
Posted by: golfer, April 27, 2016, 1:46pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Grim74

What about Sepp Blatter   [  I,ll give you all  £1k each if you vote for me and give me a green tick  ]
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, April 27, 2016, 2:00pm; Reply: 20
Jeremy " I've got a cushy job lined up in private health care once I've funked up the NHS" Hunt
Posted by: Mallyner, April 27, 2016, 2:23pm; Reply: 21
Anybody debating American Presidents.  :-/
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 27, 2016, 2:57pm; Reply: 22
Boris Johnson
Posted by: golfer, April 27, 2016, 4:30pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from golfer

What about Sepp Blatter   [  I,ll give you all  £1k each if you vote for me and give me a green tick  ]

Can all those thicko,s who gave me a tick leave their names please so I can send you a cheque. I,ll have to leave the signature blank cos. my bank dont know me as the golfer , just " Mr Knowledge "
Posted by: Town Monkey, April 27, 2016, 4:39pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from golfer

Can all those thicko,s who gave me a tick leave their names please so I can send you a cheque. I,ll have to leave the signature blank cos. my bank dont know me as the golfer , just " Mr Knowledge "

Town Monkey
Bristol Zoo
Bristol
Posted by: golfer, April 27, 2016, 7:15pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Town Monkey

Town Monkey
Bristol Zoo
Bristol

Cheque on its way
Posted by: TAGG, April 28, 2016, 1:54pm; Reply: 26
Ken Livingstone or Naz Shah both as bad as each other.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 28, 2016, 2:08pm; Reply: 27
Ken Livingstone.
Posted by: barralad, April 28, 2016, 2:21pm; Reply: 28
Any anti'-semite. The lessons of history haven't been learned.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, April 28, 2016, 2:25pm; Reply: 29
FGR
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 28, 2016, 4:48pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from barralad

The EU-US Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) is a claim waiting to happen and fears are it will strip parts of the NHS away. Also;

This refers to investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS). Normally, trade agreements are enforced by countries taking action against one another. But TTIP is also an investment agreement. These typically allow companies that have invested in a foreign country to claim compensation for breach of the agreement in an arbitration tribunal, instead of taking action in local courts or relying on their government to step in.

ISDS would come into play where a country wants to nationalise something owned by a foreign investor without compensation. But an arbitration tribunal can't force a government to change its laws or policies. It can only award compensation after the event. While this could raise the costs of nationalisation, it doesn't stop the state from doing it.

EU officials have said that a government seeking to nationalise a service currently in private hands would have to respect existing law—on contracts, for instance.

Including ISDS in TTIP could give US companies a choice of whether to use arbitration rather than national courts to seek compensation—but it's also true that under an unlawful nationalisation scheme they would get compensation either way.

It has already been rumoured that big US medical companies are vying for parts of the NHS, If we stay in we'll soon see what it will eventually cost us, we are already seeing buy medical cover adverts, because you aren't getting the treatment as you require it.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 28, 2016, 4:53pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from GrimRob

Yes they do, the clue's in the name - United States. Once upon a time America was a bunch of loosley connected states that joined together into a single economic and political entity, each retaining its own local juristiction. Sound familiar? Play the tape forward and the USA now's what the EU will be like in a few decades time. It might even be called the USE.

A bit like old England, until the counties merged under one flag. Let's bring that up to date as things are now, the USA would never enter an agreement with Canada/Mexico/any other North or South american state and give away the governance we have. Can you image how the Yanks heads would explode if Mexicans could move to the US under the free movement of people as we have over 20 countries that could move here.

We need to control our borders before Turkey joins the EU.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 28, 2016, 5:57pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Marinerz93

The EU-US Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) is a claim waiting to happen and fears are it will strip parts of the NHS away. Also;

This refers to investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS). Normally, trade agreements are enforced by countries taking action against one another. But TTIP is also an investment agreement. These typically allow companies that have invested in a foreign country to claim compensation for breach of the agreement in an arbitration tribunal, instead of taking action in local courts or relying on their government to step in.

ISDS would come into play where a country wants to nationalise something owned by a foreign investor without compensation. But an arbitration tribunal can't force a government to change its laws or policies. It can only award compensation after the event. While this could raise the costs of nationalisation, it doesn't stop the state from doing it.

EU officials have said that a government seeking to nationalise a service currently in private hands would have to respect existing law—on contracts, for instance.

Including ISDS in TTIP could give US companies a choice of whether to use arbitration rather than national courts to seek compensation—but it's also true that under an unlawful nationalisation scheme they would get compensation either way.

It has already been rumoured that big US medical companies are vying for parts of the NHS, If we stay in we'll soon see what it will eventually cost us, we are already seeing buy medical cover adverts, because you aren't getting the treatment as you require it.

TTIP is a a further sell out to big business to allow American companies to ride roughshod over Govt and other privately owned/run businesses and is the backdoor for privatising the NHS, with no recourse from the taxpayers of this country and no ability for our Govt to stop it, whichever party is in power. Be scared people because this will effectively remove democray for European GOVTS and put all the power in the hands of big business.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 28, 2016, 6:42pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Marinerz93

You do realise that the United States is big enough not to need to give away any sovereignty?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, April 28, 2016, 7:49pm; Reply: 34
Andrew Defreitas
Posted by: barralad, April 28, 2016, 8:13pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Marinerz93

Anyone who thinks that the only way under this Government that the NHS will be privatised is through TTIP needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Equally as feasible is that in a post E.U. U.K the Tories will offer parts of the NHS to U.S. companies as a sweetener to the much heralded individual trade agreement that the Yanks are apparently going to rush to sign with us.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 29, 2016, 8:29pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from barralad

Anyone who thinks that the only way under this Government that the NHS will be privatised is through TTIP needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Equally as feasible is that in a post E.U. U.K the Tories will offer parts of the NHS to U.S. companies as a sweetener to the much heralded individual trade agreement that the Yanks are apparently going to rush to sign with us.

This also possible
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 30, 2016, 1:35am; Reply: 37
Quoted from barralad

And anyone who fell for Gove's comment that if we pull out we will have an extra £350m a week that we can spend on the NHS. Apart from it not being a £350m gross, and apart from the money that comes back, do people really believe that the balance will be spent on the NHS? Or that the Tories will abandon the farmers and cut the subsidy they otherwise would have got from the EU so that they could give it to other departments.
Posted by: Grim74, April 30, 2016, 10:39am; Reply: 38

And anyone who fell for Gove's comment that if we pull out we will have an extra £350m a week that we can spend on the NHS. Apart from it not being a £350m gross, and apart from the money that comes back, do people really believe that the balance will be spent on the NHS? Or that the Tories will abandon the farmers and cut the subsidy they otherwise would have got from the EU so that they could give it to other departments.

Last year our annual EU membership cost us £17.8 billion but with the rebate we only had to pay £12.9 billion just under £250m a week ( thanks EU) but no doubt this figure will dramatically rise if we stay in the EU to fund country's that are facing bankruptcy, the £350m you mention is based on the contribution before the rebate, this rebate we get back is spent on projects sometimes questionable that are chosen by the EU!

With the Billions we save we could spend the money on the projects we think are right for and yes the NHS could be better funded without doubt and here is the Beauty, if we didn't think this goverment was investing enough of the accountable billions at our disposal we could just vote them out brilliant! That's democracy for you something we will never ever have being a member of the corrupt unaccountable EU super state.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 30, 2016, 10:56am; Reply: 39
Don't know about twit of the week but the tw@t of the week is former Police Superintended David Duckenfield.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 30, 2016, 12:34pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from barralad

If we leave the EU, we the British voters can vote for a new Government to rectify and gain control over what we the British people want. Stay in the EU and it will cost more, more will come here who do not benefit the country and we the British people have no say in that. All I want is an Australian type control system, big corporations are going to try and screw us over no matter what happens, at least as a separate governance we believe we have some say and may be able to change something rather than just bending over and taking what comes.

This country has lost the motivation to fight for what is right for this country, we may be one of the biggest economies in Europe but we don't have the best health service, we don't have the best quality of life and our life expectancy isn't the best. Sadly the UK also has the worst cancer outcomes of any rich country, and healthcare spending as a proportion of GDP is falling behind international averages.

Norway had the same warnings about leaving the EU but they left, and now the reported general feeling in Norway is that 70% want less to do with the EU money draining machine. Also employment is lower there than in Europe and I haven't heard the latest unemployment figures for people living in the UK for some time.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 30, 2016, 12:43pm; Reply: 41

You do realise that the United States is big enough not to need to give away any sovereignty?

So you are saying that the UK couldn't stand on it's own like Norway as country.

The US may be big enough but it isn't as strong or as powerful as you think without the UK and the UK's influence in Europe. Russia would love the UK to leave the EU and the US is worried by it.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 30, 2016, 12:50pm; Reply: 42
Duckenfield and those that peddled their lies after Hillsborough.
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 1:07am