Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, May 24, 2016, 4:38pm
No shocks there for me http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/retained-list-announced-3124575.aspx
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 24, 2016, 4:40pm; Reply: 1
Surprised at Clay, I'd have done the same with the rest though.
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 24, 2016, 4:41pm; Reply: 2
Surprised that Craig Clay wasn't retained.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 24, 2016, 4:41pm; Reply: 3
Nine departures. Twelve if you count the loanees.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, May 24, 2016, 4:41pm; Reply: 4
but it is a shame about Nolan for sure
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 24, 2016, 4:42pm; Reply: 5
Echo the surprise at Clay going - looks like a serious restructure required in central midfield then.
Posted by: Upper smiths, May 24, 2016, 4:44pm; Reply: 6
Would have kept clay! 8 or 9 needed.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, May 24, 2016, 4:44pm; Reply: 7
Players offered new deals.

Padraig Amond
Richard Tait
Aristote Nsiala
Nathan Arnold
Craig Disley
Josh Venney
James McKeown

Players Already Under Contract

Shaun Pearson
Josh Gowling
Harry Clifton
Omar Bogle

Players Released

Callum Bastock
Danny East
Gregor Robertson
Craig Clay
Anthony Straker
Marcus Marshall
Andy Monkhouse
Jon- Paul Pittman

Players On Loan Not Offered Deals

Ryan Jennings
Pat Hoban
Evan Horwood
Posted by: lukeo, May 24, 2016, 4:46pm; Reply: 8
very happy with that. Only Nolan I'm gutted about but obviously was out of our hands.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 24, 2016, 4:46pm; Reply: 9
Surprised at Clay.

They've all been part of history here and all leave with my thanks. But I think Hurst has pretty much made the correct choices all round, no room for sentiments and we need to build a side capable of a big season.

Must be hard for them after such a high only a week ago but such is football. Looking forward to seeing who comes through the door.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 24, 2016, 4:47pm; Reply: 10
Genuinely surprised that Monkhouse wasn't offered a deal.  Fully expected Hurst to offer him a deal.

Hard to argue with any of those released names.  Clay is the stand out one but for large parts of the season he couldn't get in Hurst's Conference team, not going to want him in his League Two team really.  
Posted by: Hagrid, May 24, 2016, 4:48pm; Reply: 11
shame to see Nolan go, relaly liked him, also feel we'll miss Clay and Robertson, both could have done a job, can only think we must be going for it next year, UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, May 24, 2016, 4:48pm; Reply: 12
Not surprised at Clay being released at all. I just can't see why so many rate him.  :-/
Posted by: GtfcGarner, May 24, 2016, 4:48pm; Reply: 13
Shows a sign of Hursts intentions, getting rid of anyone he feels he's 50/50 about.
Posted by: fazer11, May 24, 2016, 4:48pm; Reply: 14
Slightly disappointed clay wasn't given an extra year. Going to need to get a few early signings done before pre season!
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, May 24, 2016, 4:48pm; Reply: 15
I think this is fair but very disappointed about Nolan, he could have been good for us alongside 2/3 more central mids with energy and pace. Clay was always too slow for me but wish him luck elsewhere.

Now, Hurst, find us some great replacements ..!!

UTM
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, May 24, 2016, 4:49pm; Reply: 16
Thought East might have been kept on but it does mean it's going to be a very interesting summer!
Posted by: Grimbiggs, May 24, 2016, 4:51pm; Reply: 17
Apart from Nolan, no real shocks really, although with Nolan going thought he might of hung onto Clay. Squad depleted, a lot of rebuilding, bit you've got to trust Hurst.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 24, 2016, 4:51pm; Reply: 18
Pleased he realises we need quality.

Ruthless but good decisions there .
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 24, 2016, 4:53pm; Reply: 19
Not surprised in the slightest but disappointed by Nolan.
Posted by: Golden fox, May 24, 2016, 4:56pm; Reply: 20
Got a feeling Hurst has got some irons in the fire , with an increased budget it will be exciting times . Well done and thanks to all the lads who got released , they all played a part in some way is getting back where we belong and for that I'm grateful . Onwards and upwards . Fox
Posted by: Golden fox, May 24, 2016, 4:56pm; Reply: 21
Got a feeling Hurst has got some irons in the fire , with an increased budget it will be exciting times . Well done and thanks to all the lads who got released , they all played a part in some way is getting back where we belong and for that I'm grateful . Onwards and upwards . Fox
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 24, 2016, 4:57pm; Reply: 22
Clay & East could have gone either way. The fact he's released them both is a fairly bold statement that he thinks he can find better. I wish everyone released the very best.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, May 24, 2016, 4:57pm; Reply: 23
No real surprises there for me. My only surprise is though is how many people on here wanted to offer Clay another deal.
Decent pro but Just conference level IMO.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 24, 2016, 4:57pm; Reply: 24
Glad to see we're starting from a small core of players. It's a big step up, thought PH might keep a few more of "his" players to be honest. It's refreshing to see he has been ruthless. I've a feeling we may regret letting Clay go in a few years, on the other hand we don't know who he is talking to.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 24, 2016, 4:58pm; Reply: 25
+1 For Hurst from me with those choices

A decent 11 player starting point if all those offered sign on again and plenty of scope to improve some of the areas where we lacked power and pace or game changers.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 24, 2016, 5:00pm; Reply: 26
Common sense from the manager. No point in retaining players for L2 who were not even nailed on starters at Conference level. Last season has gone, it's thanks and goodbye time. The club's needs are different now.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, May 24, 2016, 5:00pm; Reply: 27
Bet most teams that are promoted keep more of their players than that!

Was needed though, lets be honest. As great as it was go to up and the players turned up when it really mattered, we can't forget that we were pretty poor second half of the season.

Anyone that was maybe a borderline one like East, Clay and Robertson have gone so he's made it clear he's not gonna carry anyone for the sake of it.
Posted by: fishyfanny, May 24, 2016, 5:02pm; Reply: 28
Also disappointed at Nolan leaving, but thanks very much to him and good luck to the lad. I hope it turns out to be a good move for him.
I just hope the players offered new contracts decide to sign on the dotted line. Its a good starting point if they do and something PH can build on.
Posted by: geir, May 24, 2016, 5:02pm; Reply: 29
I wish all those players released the best of luck and hope they will find new employment opportunities elsewhere.
I hope everyone offered new contracts will sign them swiftly and without delay and I look forward to exciting times regarding who the genius talent scout and manager Paul Hurst will sign for us!
I expect at least this: Impressive talent cherry-picked from the Conference and below. Some experienced but hungry players from the league. Maybe as many as 10 in all if we keep those we have on our books right now.
Oh, the joy! So fun to be in League Two yet again! :-)
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 24, 2016, 5:04pm; Reply: 30
No-one can accuse PH of being cautious, that is for sure.  He is making quite a bold statement by releasing so many and backing himself to bring in around 10 decent players.  He clearly isn't seeing his goal next season as survival as I'm pretty sure we could have survived with the squad we had.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 24, 2016, 5:04pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from GrimRob
Glad to see we're starting from a small core of players. It's a big step up, thought PH might keep a few more of "his" players to be honest. It's refreshing to see he has been ruthless. I've a feeling we may regret letting Clay go in a few years, on the other hand we don't know who he is talking to.

I dont think so, he had some attributes but lacked any pace and was never great or even average on the ball. He wont get any quicker with age and doubt he will develop any great ball skills either.  A good disruptor, disciplined but we need to aim higher than that with any replacement.
Thanks for your efforts Craig.
Posted by: grimps, May 24, 2016, 5:05pm; Reply: 32
I think it'll be a slow start for us next season now with so many players going , a settled team might have just done enough for us to get in the play offs
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 24, 2016, 5:05pm; Reply: 33
Pity about Nolan, best central midfielder we have had at the club since we were relegated, hope the club had tried to tie him down a couple of months ago but I doubt it, and remember he may have offered terms to Podge and co but does not mean they will sign, could be down to a core of about 5/6 experienced professionals by mid June, that means signing a whole new team. :-/
Posted by: Mariners_15, May 24, 2016, 5:06pm; Reply: 34
Its hard to see a few of them go, well all of them in fact, as they all played a part in this season no matter how much stick some have taken (ie Monkhouse) or how little some of them have played on match day (ie Henderson and Jennings).

But at the end of the day I spoke the other day about taking the sentiment out of decisions and I'm happy that's what PH has done. We have to ensure that worst case scenario next season is us still being a Football League side, going back down is unthinkable.

UTM and thanks for your contribution lads.
Posted by: mariner91, May 24, 2016, 5:06pm; Reply: 35
They all go with a huge thanks from me and I wish them all the very best in the future.
Posted by: the driver, May 24, 2016, 5:07pm; Reply: 36
I allways thought Nolan never looked happy here thinking blow it I will put myself in the shop window see what happens not saying he is a good player coz he is just thought ,big step for him !
Posted by: Tommy, May 24, 2016, 5:07pm; Reply: 37
I'm ok with all of that (whilst obviously disappointed to lose Nolan).

I would've possibly kept Robertson and East as back-up players. But in a way it's a positive move to release them because Hurst is obviously looking for players of a higher standard than them - and that can only be good for GTFC.

The next step is waiting to see if Podge stays and I also think Toto may have offers elsewhere too (which he may take and I wouldn't necessarily blame him as he takes some unnecessary stick).
Posted by: acko338, May 24, 2016, 5:08pm; Reply: 38
A brutal but mostly expected list.

I can see that Hurst and Fenty want to be successful now we're back up in the league and have been very selective and retained those who could give them progress further up the League table next season.

Being one step higher gives Hurst a chance to use his contacts to bring in players that may not have chosen to drop down to National League level.

Yet again, we will probably throw up loads of names in hope of who we would like to see here as fans, and then be surprised by who actually arrives here.

Let the speculation begin in earnest.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 24, 2016, 5:11pm; Reply: 39
Would have liked to have seen Clay stay, but other than that it looks pretty spot on for me.
Posted by: Maringer, May 24, 2016, 5:12pm; Reply: 40
Hurst is being less cautious than I would have expected, but I don't really disagree with him on any of the players released. Hopefully, he's got some players lined up already. Some more League experience would be useful, but there are plenty of Conference players we've faced who would be decent players at this level and I wonder if the extra cachet of League football might be enough to tempt one or two of them here?
Posted by: oldun, May 24, 2016, 5:14pm; Reply: 41
The key will be how many of those offered deals will sign. Podge, Toto, Arnold and Tait are the key ones for me and we will do well to hang onto Podge and Toto. I reckon Tait and Arnold will stay.
Posted by: oldun, May 24, 2016, 5:17pm; Reply: 42
Hurst has said he has his list of targets and expects a fair number of new players of a higher quality. Let's hope he can get them.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 24, 2016, 5:18pm; Reply: 43
He's already made comment about agents suddenly fidning his phone number so I'd guess we're being offered players who wouldn't previously have been interested in dropping into non-league.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 24, 2016, 5:18pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Pleased he realises we need quality.

Ruthless but good decisions there .

Totally agree with this JB.
Posted by: chaos33, May 24, 2016, 5:21pm; Reply: 45
I too have an unpleasant feeling we may lose Toto and Podge.
Posted by: DocTower, May 24, 2016, 5:25pm; Reply: 46
If Clay doesn't find another club I would expect him to return , with 7 subs available now we will need more bums on seats .
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 24, 2016, 5:25pm; Reply: 47
Certainly not expecting all to stay (Podge and Toto) but we go again. Plenty of players from plenty of levels will be available and we leave it to the manager to spend wisely what he's got.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 24, 2016, 5:25pm; Reply: 48
Also must say the under contract - offered contract players looks like the nucleus of a very good squad.

Hope they all accept.
Posted by: vinno69, May 24, 2016, 5:27pm; Reply: 49
Happy with that if all the out of contract players sign, think he needed to be ruthless to push on next year, lets hope for a bit of quality now!
Posted by: Maringer, May 24, 2016, 5:32pm; Reply: 50
Don't know if anybody else noticed on Sunday, but Toto looked to have a face like a wet week before kick-off. Not sure what that might or might not relate to, but he certainly didn't appear to be overly happy!

Hope he stays though because I think he's improved in general this season and his pace and strength will always be an asset, especially if he cuts out most of the errors.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 24, 2016, 5:34pm; Reply: 51
In comparison to most I thought Toto had a very good game.
Posted by: Hertsmariner, May 24, 2016, 5:37pm; Reply: 52
Yes, it's the end of a chapter and there's a clear need for a step up on quality to mount any sort of a challenge in League 2. I said to a friend of mine a few weeks ago that wherever we ended the season, we'd need a fundamental restructuring of the squad. So much of the season after Christmas (and the departure of Townsend), was turgid and lacking in entertainment value. Cheltenham showed a cohesiveness and consistency which no other team in the division could match and they go up as worthy champions. Frankly, though, I thought that the National League overall was poor this year and yet we were still a trifle fortunate to get to the final of the play-offs, even though we were too good for FGR on the day, not least with the help of our passionate supporters. But the inconsistency was a thread which ran through our later performances and now we need better players to provide that extra consistency and quality.
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 24, 2016, 5:42pm; Reply: 53
Exactly the list I had in mind. Good choices. Real shame about nolan though as really wanted him to stay but we could be looking at a new centre midfield partnership or 3 next season with maybe Dis being used more sparingly.
Posted by: oldun, May 24, 2016, 5:51pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
In comparison to most I thought Toto had a very good game.

So did I. His pace and strength are vital and although he does the odd rash thing, his decision making has improved. Still young and has a lot to offer. Plenty of teams would like a player of his type. Hope he stays though.
Posted by: Garth, May 24, 2016, 6:05pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from GrimRob

I liked Clay but he had one glaring weakness, he just could not finish when through on goal, I hope he finds another club soon, thanks for the memory!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 24, 2016, 6:17pm; Reply: 56
If Hursty lets this many players go then he must have them already lined up and ready to sign
Posted by: Bigdog, May 24, 2016, 6:18pm; Reply: 57
On the whole very pleased with what Hurst has done. Certainly surprised me how ruthless he has been. Would have liked to see Clay stay but I'm sure we will replace him with a player or two with even better physical attributes and definitely better ball skills and vision. Could he have been retained as a "budget balancer"?

Not sure of spending budget on Disley, great servant that he has been to the club. He struggled last season physically and I can't see it getting any easier for him in League Two at 35. Maybe an impact sub?. A wise head to settle things down seeing out a game when the opposition's tired? Certainly don't want the team to be built around him next season.

Expect Amond to go and possibly Nsiala. I'd be more sorry to see Toto go out of the two as I think he's better equipped physically and pace wise for the step up than Podge.

Look forward to the new signings over the next few weeks and will be interested to see how Hurst sets up his team with half a new squad..
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 24, 2016, 6:21pm; Reply: 58
It's worth remembering that only four players are actually signed up on contract already.

The other seven have only been offered terms. We don't know what those terms are and how they will compare with offers from other clubs which they can take up like Nolan.

It will be some time before that situation becomes clear and it isn't a given that Amond and the others will all sign.

The side for the first game in L2 will bear no comparison with the side that won the play off final and this close season will be a lot busier than last year.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 24, 2016, 6:25pm; Reply: 59
You'd expect Dis to sign first and then Tait and Arnold, I think we'll keep Podge, I'm more worried about Toto.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 24, 2016, 6:28pm; Reply: 60
Like others, I thought Clay might stay, but seeing as PH has a decent record at this sort of thing I'm sure he'll be replaced by better.

And I'm gutted about Straker going, thought he was the sort of player we should be building a FL side around.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 24, 2016, 6:34pm; Reply: 61
We still had Straker?

;)
Posted by: Rik e B, May 24, 2016, 6:46pm; Reply: 62
I'd have given Clay a year as he's young but Hurst knows what's available and he must see that we can upgrade. Other than that totally agree, would have perhaps had Gregor as backup as a last measure but then again don't know what the markets like. East at a push if nothing available but clearly a lot is!

You might think he'd give the players who got us up a chance -that's the kind of noise a lot of managers make, and what with our strong bond, but it's his neck on the block and it was nearly lopped off so can't blame him for being ruthless.

He's making sounds about really competing and squad building one of his strongest fortes, -he must be like a kid in sweet shop with what's come available to him and thus decided a ruthless cull can allow him to pad out the squad with a much higher grade.

In Hurst I absolutely trust on squad building, very excited to see what he's got in store!
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 24, 2016, 6:50pm; Reply: 63
A bold list but one that cant be complained with. Best of luck to all those departing, you all gave it your all and we as fans cant ask for more
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 24, 2016, 6:58pm; Reply: 64
Sad to see Clay go - he's a good player and I suspect he will end up at a full time conference side - He's better than anyone Lincoln's got. Im sure all mariners fans are grateful to the rest for their roles in getting us up.

It's a statement of intent - he could have kept on 4 or 5 more players but he's obviously convinced he can do better (and to be fair he usually does). I also wonder whether Clifton and Venney may get more games next season.
Posted by: easypeersy, May 24, 2016, 7:12pm; Reply: 65
Get Magnay back please!
Posted by: rancido, May 24, 2016, 7:27pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from 110[b
]Pity about Nolan, best central midfielder we have had at the club since we were relegated,[/b] hope the club had tried to tie him down a couple of months ago but I doubt it, and remember he may have offered terms to Podge and co but does not mean they will sign, could be down to a core of about 5/6 experienced professionals by mid June, that means signing a whole new team. :-/

Disagree with this completely! Disley has been great for town since we came down and ok he is starting to show his age a bit now but he has been here 5 years. He has certainly shown he has been a lot better than Nolan could ever be.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 24, 2016, 7:32pm; Reply: 67
Dis should get a years contract and just be allowed to sit in a deck chair watching the game if he wants.
Posted by: Garth, May 24, 2016, 7:32pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from rancido

Disagree with this completely! Disley has been great for town since we came down and ok he is starting to show his age a bit now but he has been here 5 years. He has certainly shown he has been a lot better than Nolan could ever be.

WHS     Dis can still out leap taller younger players, and has experience in bucket fulls.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 24, 2016, 7:39pm; Reply: 69
A bold statement of intent by Hurst. I wouldn't disagree with any of those decisions. Also it takes a strong will to release much of the team he's built to get us promotion, knowing the bond he has with them. Renewed respect for the manager.

ALL of those not offered new deals have done good by us. Must be a nervy time for them. Hope they all get good offers. Thanks to every one of them and good luck for the future (unless they play against us  :) )
Posted by: monkeyboy, May 24, 2016, 7:51pm; Reply: 70
I would like TOTO to stay but if he does go then so be it. i know some signings by Hurst have not been the best (straker), but dont think he has ever signed a poor defender so would expect him to find someone as good.
Posted by: monkeyboy, May 24, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 71
Also it doesnt say Henderson has been released yet?
Posted by: chaos33, May 24, 2016, 8:15pm; Reply: 72
No but I think we can take a guess.
Posted by: chaos33, May 24, 2016, 8:15pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from ginnywings
Dis should get a years contract and just be allowed to sit in a deck chair watching the game if he wants.

Lol. Yeah, this.  :)
Posted by: mariner2000, May 24, 2016, 8:47pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Golden fox

Do we know it's an increased budget?!... remember no 110k operation promotion this year (although still think there should be some left....)
Posted by: marinerjase, May 24, 2016, 8:46pm; Reply: 75
People questioning Dizza should appreciate what he brings..experience, leadership, heart, guidance..not to mention having a model pro around can only be beneficial for others to learn from, and how to conduct themselves on and off the pitch.

He's been exemplary for us since Day 1, changed roles  as less mobile but even if used more sparingly next season it's someone we need.

The reaction at final whistle, and interviews at Braintree - the very sight of someone who's been through good and bad here, lifting that Trophy and it meaning more than Promotion. He will forever be etched in Towns history - and rightly so. The story has another chapter yet though.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 24, 2016, 8:53pm; Reply: 76
[quote=983]
Do we know it's an increased budget?!... remember no 110k operation promotion this year (although still think there should be some left....)[/quote

I think our Basic Award payment increases from something like £35.000 ( National League ) to £750.000 ( League 2 ) per season.
Could be wrong.

Posted by: ginnywings, May 24, 2016, 9:04pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from promotion plaice
[quote=983]
Do we know it's an increased budget?!... remember no 110k operation promotion this year (although still think there should be some left....)[/quote

I think our Basic Award payment increases from something like £35.000 ( National League ) to £750.000 ( League 2 ) per season.
Could be wrong.

Think it is more like £500,000. Last year Tranmere and Cheltenham received £237,000 parachute payment, which is 50% of what they would have got in league 2. Think there may also have been a slight increase, so around half a million at a guess. Teams relegated to the conference this year, get the full 100%, so it was a good time to get out.
Posted by: TAGG, May 24, 2016, 9:06pm; Reply: 78
Would have kept Clay and East but the rest ok

Not fussed if Toto doesn't sign though.
Posted by: chaos33, May 24, 2016, 9:08pm; Reply: 79
Don't you rate Toto Tagg?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 24, 2016, 9:07pm; Reply: 80
I think out of our three centre backs he's the one I'd most want to keep. Easy to forget how young he is for a centre back. When he's good he can be outstanding.
Posted by: TAGG, May 24, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from chaos33
Don't you rate Toto Tagg?

He's not so bad, if he stays then fairynuf but cant go a game without making a intercourse up or three and went well off him with his male masturbator jesture to the Town fans.
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, May 24, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 82
The hairs on the back of my neck are standing in anticipation ⚽️😀
Posted by: Ipswin, May 24, 2016, 9:18pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from TAGG
Would have kept Clay and East but the rest ok

Not fussed if Toto doesn't sign though.

This

Posted by: Bigdog, May 24, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from marinerjase
People questioning Dizza should appreciate what he brings..experience, leadership, heart, guidance..not to mention having a model pro around can only be beneficial for others to learn from, and how to conduct themselves on and off the pitch.

He's been exemplary for us since Day 1, changed roles  as less mobile but even if used more sparingly next season it's someone we need.

The reaction at final whistle, and interviews at Braintree - the very sight of someone who's been through good and bad here, lifting that Trophy and it meaning more than Promotion. He will forever be etched in Towns history - and rightly so. The story has another chapter yet though.

I totally agree with the sentiment, totally agree with it. But it doesn't get us three points every week. £75-100k of our budget on a role model that's used sparingly because he is less mobile (your words) seems a bit of a waste. I totally get every thing you say but there comes a time to thank Dis for his service and I think picking up the Play-Off trophy would have been a great way to go rather than struggling the season after. If sentimentality secured contracts John McDermott would still be here showing the other pros how to conduct themselves. Got a feeling that Dis will be a little short next season and it would be a sad end to his time here..
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 24, 2016, 9:22pm; Reply: 85
I'd be gobsmacked if anyone at the club is earning 75-100k
Posted by: Bigdog, May 24, 2016, 9:19pm; Reply: 86
I would imagine £75k will be the around the average wage next season..
Posted by: Garth, May 24, 2016, 9:47pm; Reply: 87
York favourites for signing East apparently
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 24, 2016, 9:52pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Bigdog

I totally agree with the sentiment, totally agree with it. But it doesn't get us three points every week. £75-100k of our budget on a role model that's used sparingly because he is less mobile (your words) seems a bit of a waste. I totally get every thing you say but there comes a time to thank Dis for his service and I think picking up the Play-Off trophy would have been a great way to go rather than struggling the season after. If sentimentality secured contracts John McDermott would still be here showing the other pros how to conduct themselves. Got a feeling that Dis will be a little short next season and it would be a sad end to his time here..

Balances being a role model with being one of our best players. Don't get this lack of mobility arguement, his fitness is immense and he was still bombing about the pitch on 90 minutes in the play off final on a massive pitch. I imagine he will play 30 plus games again next season.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, May 24, 2016, 9:53pm; Reply: 89
Well, Paul has a high risk strategy

Lets hope that he has got a commitment in principle for his retained list to be accepted, or we are up sh*t creek.

We can't survive with Pearson/Gowling and Bogle with kids  
Posted by: Rik e B, May 24, 2016, 9:49pm; Reply: 90
Started the Season absolutely immense, faded a bit as used non stop but picked up a gear when it mattered most. Will be a useful player but we going to have to start think about life without him after next Season most likely and I wouldn't want him being flogged to death again.
Posted by: chaos33, May 24, 2016, 9:51pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Well, Paul has a high risk strategy

Lets hope that he has got a commitment in principle for his retained list to be accepted, or we are up sh*t creek.

We can't survive with Pearson/Gowling and Bogle with kids  

Jeepers, the season has just finished.
Posted by: mariner2000, May 24, 2016, 11:00pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from ginnywings

Think it is more like £500,000. Last year Tranmere and Cheltenham received £237,000 parachute payment, which is 50% of what they would have got in league 2. Think there may also have been a slight increase, so around half a million at a guess. Teams relegated to the conference this year, get the full 100%, so it was a good time to get out.

Thanks for the clarification although to go back to the orignal point it doesn't gaurantee that our budget has increased as we have debts to pay/clear/keep at bay
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 24, 2016, 11:03pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from grimps
I think it'll be a slow start for us next season now with so many players going , a settled team might have just done enough for us to get in the play offs

For a minute there I thought you were going to use the words "time to gel" and if you had I would have had to shoot you.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 24, 2016, 11:12pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from mariner2000

Thanks for the clarification although to go back to the orignal point it doesn't gaurantee that our budget has increased as we have debts to pay/clear/keep at bay

I think it's almost certain the budget will be higher. I can't see why it wouldn't be.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), May 24, 2016, 11:15pm; Reply: 95
I think now is the time for a bit of "wait and see" - rather than predictions of glory/mediocrity/gloom.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 25, 2016, 12:04am; Reply: 96
Ah a bit of common sense chiang.  The far left and right doom merchants/happy clappers showing natural tendancies and imo looking a bit silly when so much up in air!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 25, 2016, 12:11am; Reply: 97
We are going up a level and need a squad to reflect that.

Some of those released where good players in the National League so it could be argued at best they would be average players in league 2, we need better if we are to stay where we have worked so hard to get to.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 25, 2016, 12:20am; Reply: 98
...or storm even higher  8)
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, May 25, 2016, 12:17am; Reply: 99
First post in yonks. Would of liked Robertson Clay and Horwood to stay but I understand why Hurst would let them all go too. The Nolan situation is fair enough Can't fault the guy for going to a higher league but thought he would of been perfect for us in league two and reckon league one is a step too far at this time for him. A few players to bring in but I have faith in Hurst to add some quality additions. Can't wait to see the new additions announced and hope all the players given offers will stay. What ever happens we are football league. Get the intercourse in. UTM
Posted by: Harry Haddock, May 25, 2016, 1:46am; Reply: 100
Slightly surprised Clay isn't staying but no doubt PH has some players lined up
Posted by: Cloudy, May 25, 2016, 6:46am; Reply: 101
Think the list reflected my views. The first BIG job is to get those offered new deals signed up.

Then a central midfielder of proven quality with attitude to match. O'Connor fits the bill from Port Vale.

Need genuine pace in wide and striking positions.

With plenty of change we need players in by start of pre season, we haven't started well in last couple of years and can't afford to be playing catch up at a higher level
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 25, 2016, 6:57am; Reply: 102
Quoted from chaos33

Jeepers, the season has just finished.

Where's Scooby Doo? ;-)
Posted by: TAGG, May 25, 2016, 7:58am; Reply: 103
I would love to see a couple of good wingers brought in.
Him from VGR who scored in the final would be great but think he will be going onto bigger things.

Oh and a good keeper to give James a bit of competition.
Posted by: acko338, May 25, 2016, 3:53pm; Reply: 104
I have read that Conor Henderson now knows he won't be kept on the books.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 25, 2016, 4:17pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Balances being a role model with being one of our best players. Don't get this lack of mobility arguement, his fitness is immense and he was still bombing about the pitch on 90 minutes in the play off final on a massive pitch. I imagine he will play 30 plus games again next season.

I agree in a sense but I do think he showed signs of deterioration after January.

I get the sentiment I really do and I get that he's still useful but I certainly wouldn't be building a side round him this time round. He's a club legend and it'd be horrible to see League 2 catch up on him.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 25, 2016, 4:21pm; Reply: 106
I have just looked at a long list of players out of contract this summer,

AND

I do not have a clue who Paul will go for.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 25, 2016, 4:16pm; Reply: 107
Have you got a link Pete?
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, May 25, 2016, 5:02pm; Reply: 108
[url]http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jumplist/vertragslosespieler/wettbewerb/GB3[/url]

You can change the filters to look at different leagues.

BBC had a list but can't find it
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 7:11pm