The Grimsby Town FC


Question of the Week

Is the squad strong enough to challenge for promotion?

Strong yes
Weak yes
Weak no
Strong no


Main Stand Gallery

By: Nick Osborne
Date: 25/11/2000

In this part of our photographic tour of Blundell Park we feature the misleadingly named Main Stand. The Main Stand may well have been the principal structure in 1902, when it was built, but has been dwarfed by the Smiths stand since 1982.

The Main Stand is one of the oldest surviving football stands in the country, the bulk of it being almost 100 years old. The "new" part of the main stand (which can be distinguished by the absence of pillars), running from the tunnel to the Osmond end, is actually an extension that was made in 1931!

If any part of Blundell Park were to emphasise the need for the Mariners to move to a new home, then it is the Main Stand and the dressing rooms behind it, which also date from 1902.

Main Stand From Imperial Corner
Main Stand From Imperial Corner
Main Stand from Pontoon
Main Stand from Pontoon
Main Stand from Smiths
Main Stand from Smiths
View from Pontoon
Main Stand from Osmond

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
TitlePostsLatest Post
Josh Venney17Cloudy21/07 00:36
Town in Devon 105The Grim Reaper21/07 00:20
Word Association Game41,403topuphere66621/07 00:13
Change/add-a-letter/remove-one Word Game thread...28,373Biccys20/07 23:40
Boston - Saturday13Youngy20/07 23:19
Other Clubs Transfer News223promotion plaice20/07 22:38
2100 season tickets sold60HotToddy20/07 22:29
Open Day this Sunday7promotion plaice20/07 21:44
BBC8cmackenzie420/07 21:01
State pension14cmackenzie420/07 20:09

News  | Features  | Submit Article  |   | 
© 2017