ginnywings
February 26, 2013, 11:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from alanweufc

Newports game with us is at Ebbsfleet, not at Newport. I think we will do you a favour in that one, although I dont see us getting much from the games at Wrexham & Kiddy, but we can but hope!

I have mixed feelings about Grimsby going up though - you're supporters really seem a decent bunch and despite your League history, haven't adopted the smug Big Time Charlie approach of some (and one in particular) of the other ex League clubs. So from that perspective I'd like to be playing you guys again next season. But on the other hand, with the same thing in mind, you supporters would deserve promotion. We had a decent game with you at our place, played in a really good spirit. You are definitely one of the better teams, if not the best (only Macclesfield spring to mind as matching you and we gave them a major helping hand with a dreadful performance that night) so again from that aspect, you would, in my book, deserve promotion.

All the best for the rest of the season (especially when playing our relegation rivals!)

I think that is because we spent many years being the underdog at championship level. There was nothing better than taking apart a team who just expected to turn up and win.

One memory is of Bryan Robson, when manager of Middleboro, saying that they should be beating the likes of Grimsby, just before we absolutely played them off the pitch. Think the game ended 1-1 and i still can't fathom why as we played some staggeringly good football that game.

I hope we go up soon though as the "football" played in this league is an eye opener after some of the stuff we got used to when we were actually any good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 250
TWAreaTownSupporter
February 26, 2013, 11:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from alanweufc

Newports game with us is at Ebbsfleet, not at Newport. I think we will do you a favour in that one, although I dont see us getting much from the games at Wrexham & Kiddy, but we can but hope!

I have mixed feelings about Grimsby going up though - you're supporters really seem a decent bunch and despite your League history, haven't adopted the smug Big Time Charlie approach of some (and one in particular) of the other ex League clubs. So from that perspective I'd like to be playing you guys again next season. But on the other hand, with the same thing in mind, you supporters would deserve promotion. We had a decent game with you at our place, played in a really good spirit. You are definitely one of the better teams, if not the best (only Macclesfield spring to mind as matching you and we gave them a major helping hand with a dreadful performance that night) so again from that aspect, you would, in my book, deserve promotion.

All the best for the rest of the season (especially when playing our relegation rivals!)

To be honest Alan a fair few of our number did have that attitude for the first season or so. But we've all learned.

Enjoy the rest of the season. And if we play again next season.....make sure your bar orders more beer for us thirsty northersners.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 250
alanweufc
February 26, 2013, 11:32pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thats what I mean about you guys - genuine banter - on certain other boards, I'd probably get told to clear off in no uncertain terms!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 250
Marinerz93
February 27, 2013, 12:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from alanweufc
Thats what I mean about you guys - genuine banter - on certain other boards, I'd probably get told to clear off in no uncertain terms!

We used to be the proverbial under dog and our ground, club and fans were looked down on from the bigger clubs, we were a thorn in their sides.  We loved that and we got used to a standard of football and believed it was our right to be in the Championship.  The venture into non league has been a hard one but it has grounded us and hopefully we can get back into the league.

I have more respect now for teams like Ebbsfleet regardless of how many fans make the trip.  Genuine football fans who love their club and go were ever it takes them.  I hope you stay in this league because on tonights showing you deserve to be.

Now sodomist off and eat some jellied eels you soft shandy drinking southerner  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 250
barralad
February 27, 2013, 7:51am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from ginnywings

I think that is because we spent many years being the underdog at championship level. There was nothing better than taking apart a team who just expected to turn up and win.

One memory is of Bryan Robson, when manager of Middleboro, saying that they should be beating the likes of Grimsby, just before we absolutely played them off the pitch. Think the game ended 1-1 and i still can't fathom why as we played some staggeringly good football that game.

I hope we go up soon though as the "football" played in this league is an eye opener after some of the stuff we got used to when we were actually any good.

We won 2-1 that day. Two up in the first 10 minutes and Middlesbrough simply couldn't hold us...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 250
ginnywings
February 27, 2013, 8:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

We won 2-1 that day. Two up in the first 10 minutes and Middlesbrough simply couldn't hold us...

Thanks for that Barra. I thought we won that game but my brother insisted it was 1-1 and my mind was playing tricks on me.

He usually has a better memory for that sort of thing, so i believed him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 250
wycombemariner
February 27, 2013, 8:34am
UTM
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: -56
Quoted from chaos33

Wrexham: Alfreton (H), Ebsfleet (H), Dartford (A), Lincoln (A)
Kiddy: Ebbsfleet (H), Gateshead (A), Grimsby (A)
Newport: Hyde (A), Hereford (A), Ebbsfleet (H)
Mansfield: Telford (H), Woking (A), Stockport (H), Grimsby (H)
Grimsby: Macclesfield (A), Forest Green (A), Kidderminster (H), Mansfield (A)

So if we beat FGR that's their automatic promotion dream in tatters, so must get 5 points from the other three games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 250
Laceby Andy
February 27, 2013, 9:11am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +2
Forthcoming fixtures:

The good thing about our run in is we have the chance to force ourselves above the teams we play. If we want to finish top we simply have to be the best and beat the better teams..... we can do it!!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 250
oldun
February 27, 2013, 9:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Laceby Andy
Forthcoming fixtures:

The good thing about our run in is we have the chance to force ourselves above the teams we play. If we want to finish top we simply have to be the best and beat the better teams..... we can do it!!

UTM

In some ways I think playing our rivals will bring the best out of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 250
February 27, 2013, 9:38am
Guest User
We have seemed to play better against the better teams this season. Only game on the players mind at this momeant in time should be Maccesfield on Friday
Reply: 249 - 250
26 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby v Ebbsfleet match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.