Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 186 Guests

Supporting the team

This thread currently has 4,433 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
April 17, 2014, 11:25am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I would say that depends on how well they are playing. Players who fail to show basic ability time and again will find derision whoever they play for.

Undeservedly.

In these circumstances it should be the manager getting it in the neck, surely?
Reply: 20 - 60
chaos33
April 17, 2014, 11:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Both player and Manager will be derided. It will happen, regardless of what we think of that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
April 17, 2014, 12:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
And hence me clearly stating that booing and abusing shouldn't happen, but the fact is, they do. You have to be good enough and answer criticism with performance. Let your football do the talking and shut them up.

Salford - you say 'they aren't just painting a wall' dismissively, as though I don't quite 'understand football' as well as you do. Well paid professional footballers should be good enough to do simple things even if they don't quite have the confidence at all times to try that risky, difficult first-time pass or through-ball. Sympathy and cheers when they give the ball away are not what they need, and are not going to happen. Football is just the same as any other vocation in essence - acquit yourself well and earn praise, promotion, a new contract etc. Of course, the reverse obtains too.

This argument could go around forever as people try to decide whether booing is a response to poor play or a cause of it. Its both of course. That's why we should refrain from stadium derision and abuse, but there has to be a place for critical analysis.

No I was just linking my example of a professional manager who understands football to my point-

You must also agree that getting on players backs constantly will negatively affect their performances?
Reply: 22 - 60
immariner
April 17, 2014, 12:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from 3610

All they have to do is do a good job!! Haha. They aren't just painting a wall!

When Ian holloway was in charge of Blackpool he introduced a very attacking and passing style of play. He encouraged his players to take risks. These risks would lead to mistakes which the fans then jumped on the players backs for. Holloway had a go at the fans saying their 'moans, sighs, boos' would cause the players to go into their shells, take less risks and go for the easy option. Hoof ball anyone?

For people that understand football it is clear that this negatively affects your teams performances. When your team is most probably going to be in the playoffs can someone please tell me one good reason why you would want to negatively affect your teams performances?

...or human nature, even remotely. That's about the crux of it. Can't stand this entitled attitude that a lot of people have. Paying money to watch the team you "support" does not qualify you to act in any way you see fit. It's not productive to constantly moan, groan, ironically cheer or boo your own team. It's brainless.

During the game when a team is in a good goal-scoring opportunity and it doesn't come off it's a natural, almost uncontrolled reaction to sigh with disappointment at an edge-of-the-seat moment of anticipation. The difference is when this becomes incessant, starting with lateral/backward passes from the defence and midfield being groaned at. This demotivates players to play the ball on the ground (or as they've been instructed) due to the pantomime-esque displeasure emanating from the crowd. The fact that the players are paid full-time (to be groaned at, allegedly) does not preclude them from reacting like any other person would in such situations i.e. stop doing what the audience don't appreciate. After all, it's an "entertainment" business or so I'm led to believe.

People need to be more conscious of the impact that their utterings can have on the team. I think we all currently have our doubts and worries but it does seem like some go to the games intent on venting their frustrations regardless of the consequences. If you need that release from your every day life why not take up boxing or perhaps even rock-breaking where it would be better served.  

The best way to help this team to promotion (regardless of your misgivings) is to create a positive, nurturing environment that makes the players feel like they can go out and play their game, make mistakes, but still have the backing of the supporters. I don't for a second accept this ironic rhetoric that 'the players don't give us anything to shout about so why should I support them'. It's naïve to the point of damn ignorance. It's a two-way street. It's self-fulfilling.

Everyone who goes to watch Town, or in doing anything in life, makes the choice to be proactive or reactionary. You relinquish your responsibility as a supporter the moment you get on the players' backs. You make that choice. If you feel that the players have relinquished their responsibilities as representatives of GTFC then wait until you get out the ground or get home, take a deep breath and then vent your spleen if you must, still mindful that any comments on a public forum will get back to the players and management, once again feeding into the negativity-risk aversion loop.

This team is an honest, hard-working team. They might sometimes lack that bit of creativity or spark, whether that is down to the manager's tactics or the players' own shortcomings, or more likely a mixture of the two. But whilst they're still in the hunt for promotion they really do deserve our wholehearted support! It's quite possible the plus-sized lady will get up to belt one out. It's also possible that whilst we're still in the lottery of the play-offs that she might be recovering from a particularly large luncheon and choose to remain seated. No one knows, least of all the naysayers. Odds are that we won't get promoted. But give them the best chance, eh?

Positive Mental Attitude. Try it. It really does* work. If it doesn't, we go again. At least then in a positive environment that's ripe for success.

UTM

*not in all cases and under highly unlikely circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
immariner
April 17, 2014, 12:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

This argument could go around forever as people try to decide whether booing is a response to poor play or a cause of it. Its both of course. That's why we should refrain from stadium derision and abuse, but there has to be a place for critical analysis.

I think we can all agree on this. Unfortunately, constructive, reasoned critique only accounts for a small fraction of what's posted. La vie de la football forum...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
grimps
April 17, 2014, 12:45pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,131
Gold Stars: 46
So its our fault the team are playing the dullest shite football every seen at Blundell park with no end product and few points being picked up ?
Well thats that then ,if none of us go watch them lose every week at home maybe we'll start winning more
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
immariner
April 17, 2014, 12:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from grimps
So its our fault the team are playing the dullest shite football every seen at Blundell park with no end product and few points being picked up ?
Well thats that then ,if none of us go watch them lose every week at home maybe we'll start winning more

I haven't seen anyone say that. The table suggests more often than not that there is an end product. That isn't to say that it is exciting or inspirational football. But so far it is effective, to a point. We're still on course for the play-offs and we still have a chance at promotion. That is what we all want. But as supporters we can't disregard the role we can play and the responsibility we have. If you don't think a positive environment can help then there really is no helping.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
Geordie Mariner 1980
April 17, 2014, 1:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
How much does it lift you as a supporter when we get a corner or nearly score and everyone around you gets up and starts bellowing 'MARINERS MARINERS' - the players obviously feed off that in just the same way and get an extra kick of energy, confidence  & positivity.  

Surely people must know that doing the exact opposite of that has the same effect, heads will go down, frustration will build up, and confidence will drop!

If you were to show this thread to a supporter of another team who had no knowledge of the league table, they'd assume that we're in the bottom half and hadn't won since Christmas!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
April 17, 2014, 1:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from WokingMariner
Grimsby supporters are appalling for their backstabbing. Go and watch any other team and you'll get far more positive crowd reaction than Town get. It's the same on the forums/twitter too. You'd never dream Grimsby were in the top 5 looking at some of the comments online. Go and take a look at other clubs forums, they're much more positive about their sides. If I was a Grimsby player I'd take one look at some of the threads on here and be straight on the phone to my agent.

I honestly think it's a big factor in our decline. The players get sick of all the criticism and want away just to go to somewhere they feel appreciated.

You have obviously not been on alfretons forum then?

Reply: 28 - 60
carrot top
April 17, 2014, 1:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
I have witnessed plenty of positive support at home, but it is extremely frustrating watching this long ball tactic which ultimately has little end product. I'm not surprised by a few moans and groans. It would happen at any ground, it's not just Grimsby fans. In fairness the team are lucky that so many turn up week in week out both home and away.
I also don't buy this 'away fans are better than home fans' thing. All away fans are voiceferous in support of their team not matter how many travel. It's a given.
This team needs to give home fans something to cheer. Huddersfield and Northampton games are prime examples.

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Supporting the team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.