4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
thefish
May 27, 2014, 6:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Every year I have a Lucky 15 bet in which I attempt to predict the winner of each league. Sadly, the last few years I have been miles off, but I always proceed to make the bet again the following year (a fool and his money and all that)!

Last year I went for: Chelsea , Reading (7th), MK Dons (10th) and Bristol Rovers (23rd).

Yes, I really did back Bristol Rovers to win the league title!

So as you can see I need some help! Therefore, and I realise it is very early to have a clear picture, but at this early stage who would your money be on for each league and why?

For what it is worth, I shall make my early prediction now. After some transfer dealings, I may amend my selections!

Premier League
Selection- Chelsea
Odds- 23/10
Reasons- Chelsea seemed to be only a couple of players short of having the quality to win the league last year. If Jose can bring in a quality striker (Diego Costa?), and use the David Luiz £40million wisely to shore up his defence, then they could easily be the champions in 2014/15.

Man City are too short a price at 7/4, especially with the current unrest of Yaya Toure.

Liverpool are currently best priced at 13/2, a price that would go way out if Real do sign Suarez.

Man U are in transition!

Championship
Selection- Blackburn
Odds- 20/1
Reasons- Blackburn are still receiving the lucrative parachute payments. They were unbeaten in their last ten matches in the league (winning the last three), and in Jordan Rhodes they have a proven goal scorer at Championship Level.

I was initially going to be loyal to the Royals, a side that notched 70 league goals last season and more importantly is still receiving the controversial parachute payments. But, they have just been put up for sale by their owner, so I will stay clear of them.

League 1
Selection- Doncaster
Odds- 14/1
Reason- Relegated last year on goal difference. Large ground, decent support and I can see them bouncing straight back up.

League 2
Selection- Southend
Odds- 20/1
Reason- Lost in the play offs, decent support (around 6000 average last year), and they seem a decent price. Note, this is where my knowledge gets sketchy- see my prediction last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
BIGChris
May 27, 2014, 7:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Still think either Man City or Chelsea for Prem
Derby or Wigan  for Championship
Sheffield Utd for League One
Luton or even Portsmouth for Lge Two
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
mariner tommy
May 27, 2014, 7:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
Just before the start of every season I do three £5 bets, Four teams for promotion accumulator, (one from each division), four teams for relegation accumulator, and Grimsby to be promoted.

Didn't win anything this season but the season before I got back £132, chances are I won't win again but it adds to the enjoyment of the season and a bit more interest.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
AdamHaddock
May 27, 2014, 7:59pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Liverpool
Derby
Posh
Oxford

Just lazy picks without really looking into any of them

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
GrimRob
May 27, 2014, 8:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Luton are a must for League 2.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 31
MyDogsThoughts
May 27, 2014, 8:49pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Manchester City

Ipswich Town

Scunthorpe United

Luton Town

Grimsby Town

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
Grimal
May 27, 2014, 9:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Man City.
Notts Forest.
Leyton Orient.
Luton.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
Tom13
May 27, 2014, 9:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Definitely Sheff Utd for League 1 after Clough's record with them last season, having started in the bottom 2 as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
pizzzza
May 27, 2014, 9:15pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Far too early for stuff like this but basing your bets on parachute payments (haven't helped Blackburn the last two years they've been in the Championship) or the fact that a team has 'decent support' is not the way to go.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
RonMariner
May 28, 2014, 1:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,688
Gold Stars: 226
Chelsea
Derby
Sheffield United
Luton

Grimsby Town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League Winners

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.