2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
July 27, 2014, 7:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Has anything happened in your life that proved to be a turning point ?

Mine is, 1953 my dad moved the family from Grimsby to Middlesbrough,

He could not settle up there so we returned to Cleethorpes in 1955,

The first thing he did was to take me to Blundell Park,

Just think if dad was happy up there I might be a Middlesbrough supporter now,

For all our ups and downs, I am glad and will always be proud to be a Mariner.

It's coming up to 60 years now,

Do you think that nice Mr Fenty will give me a gold watch in the New Year.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Sigone
July 27, 2014, 8:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete

It's coming up to 60 years now,

Do you think that nice Mr Fenty will give me a gold watch in the New Year.

Doubt it...but if your nice to your fellow fishy posters maybe we could put pressure on Rob to put a Gold star after your name...bit like winning the world cup  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
grimsby pete
July 27, 2014, 8:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Sigone

Doubt it...but if your nice to your fellow fishy posters maybe we could put pressure on Rob to put a Gold star after your name...bit like winning the world cup  

That would be good, I will settle for that.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
promotion plaice
July 27, 2014, 8:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
my parents moved to cleethorpes in 1966 from hull. my father was a hull city fanatic all his life and took me to watch his belloved tigers as a kid. i then went to see the mariners at blundell park and have been a town fan ever since through thick and thin.
my father and i had heated arguments about football for years.
sadly for my dad he passed away just before city moved to the kc stadium and never saw them in the top flight of english football.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
cmackenzie4
July 27, 2014, 8:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from promotion plaice
my parents moved to cleethorpes in 1966 from hull. my father was a hull city fanatic all his life and took me to watch his belloved tigers as a kid. i then went to see the mariners at blundell park and have been a town fan ever since through thick and thin.
my father and i had heated arguments about football for years.
sadly for my dad he passed away just before city moved to the kc stadium and never saw them in the top flight of english football.

That's a shame mate, i bet he would of been proud.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
chaos33
July 27, 2014, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Here's a teenage turning point...

In 1987 I was 15 and was scouted by Newcastle United FC. They invited me and my team mate (Humbertherm and Grimsby boys) up to Newcastle for a trial. We were installed in a Whitley Bay guest house and picked up for training every day by the Youth Development Manager - a brilliant and kind fooball man called Peter Kirkley (who incidentally also scouted Paddy McLaughlin).

At the time we joined the apprentices, which included the likes of Brian Tinnion and Paul Stephenson - both of whom went on to become succesful players and managers. I was told about this phenomenal player who they had been nurturing through his apprenticeship and who was now a first teamer at the age of 19/20. They thought he would become truly world class, but they had to keep him on a tight rein because he gambled his wages away and squandered it on junk food etc. He was 'daft as a brush', evidently. They said, 'listen out for him in future - his name is Paul Gascoigne'. Anyway, the trial went really well for me and they told me they'd be in touch to arrange a second trial.

Two weeks later I received a telephone call (or my Mum did) to say that they were terribly sorry but they no longer had a budget to bring in more youth players from out of area, but if that changed, they'd definitely be in touch.

It was then that I realised that I wasn't going to become a professional footballer.

And Gazza..? Well, there's not much to tell really.

"I'm very pleased for Paul, but it's a bit like watching your mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your new car"
Terry Venables after Spurs agreed a deal with Lazio for Gazza.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Les Brechin
July 27, 2014, 9:27pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
I was born at Croft Baker but we lived in Grimsby at the time. My father was quite high in local government and when I was only 6 months we moved to Cardiff with his job and then 2 years later we moved again to Leicester. Sadly at Christmas 1967 my father was diagnosed with leukemia and died on 1st March 1968 when I was only 3 and a half. As the house came with his job my Mum was given one months notice to leave so my Mum, me plus my older sister and brother came back to Grimsby and ended up in a council house on Nunsthorpe.

If my father hadn't died then who knows where we would be living now and who I would be supporting.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
Fcukthescunts
July 28, 2014, 3:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
We moved to Keelby when I was 4 from just outside Leeds despite my late Dad been a Town fan had I stayed in West Yorks I would probably be a Leeds fan now! Thank god Natwest needed a new Manager at Grimsby!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Caesar
July 28, 2014, 6:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Well as we are focusing on turning point towards Grimsby;

Twas 1992, The Premiership was being formed, my parents had their own teams and my brother had been supporting Spurs since 1990 and I decided I wanted to support a football team. So in our garden in South Lincolnshire I flicked through a book full of all grounds in the football league.  When it landed on Grimsby my parents pointed out that they were not that far away, wouldn't sell out so I could go see them easily and a couple of other reasons. So I said yes I will support Grimsby. Had that page fallen elsewhere I could of been a Peterborough fan as they were far more local, worse a Lincoln fan as even they were closer or just become another follower of some Premier League club!

Despite the past decade I am flipping grateful the page landed on Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
July 28, 2014, 6:28pm
Guest User
Hurst signs clay it tipped me over the edge I ripped up my season ticket and got myself down watching Grimsby scorpions cracking game amazing tatics I've never looked back.
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Your Turning Point

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.