This thread currently has 1,664 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Fcukthescunts
July 29, 2014, 9:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
What will you see as a good start. We have suspension issues in first few games. After 10 games 20+points would be really good in my opinion. 17-19 good 14-16 ok anything less would be a bad start?
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
July 29, 2014, 9:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
A good start for me is being able to see we have improved in areas where we were sub standard last season.
So i would like to see;

some variation and retention of ball at throw ins
threaten the goal from set pieces 20 -25 yds out
deliver corners with some consistency
see the formation of a strike partnership, understanding, movement, interplay
creativity from centre midfield

and probably my biggest gripe....some positive tactics and positive substitutions before we are behind in a match. Not being under threat and ultimately drawing is no use when its three points for a win, i would like Hurst to be bolder and not have to react to other teams positive substitutions.
Not losing games will not win the title, winning games wins the title, away draws were great when it was two points for a win, not so much now.

I am really not interested in early points as we could bumble our way through August September and not be that far off on paper whilst we all look at each other and think god we are terrible yet lucky. Come the business end of the season you need the better quality, organisation and tactical balls/ nouse to see you through.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
dapperz fun pub
July 29, 2014, 9:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from moosey_club
A good start for me is being able to see we have improved in areas where we were sub standard last season.
So i would like to see;

and probably my biggest gripe....some positive tactics and positive substitutions before we are behind in a match. Not being under threat and ultimately drawing is no use when its three points for a win, i would like Hurst to be bolder and not have to react to other teams positive substitutions.
Not losing games will not win the title, winning games wins the title, away draws were great when it was two points for a win, not so much now.

I am really not interested in early points as we could bumble our way through August September and not be that far off on paper whilst we all look at each other and think god we are terrible yet lucky. Come the business end of the season you need the better quality, organisation and tactical balls/ nouse to see you through.

Yeh agree too many times it looked far to negative but maybe he didn't have enough confidence in his players

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Garth
July 29, 2014, 9:37am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I`m quite confident of getting a point at Bristol and moving on from there with a steady pace
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Sconeboy
July 29, 2014, 9:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +218
Gold Stars: 2
I just want us to get past the suspensions with a few points on the table so that we can kick on from that.

The three suspensions really do concern me.

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
acko338
July 29, 2014, 11:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Vastly improve the home form by more positive play and tactics, and retain away form of last season.

Regain the impregnable fortress status that has been missing from the Park except for odd occasions for several years now!

Get the crowd to support players at home instead of alienating them !

Stop the "player out of favour is the scapegoat" tactics by fans during matches!

Keep a retained team once the suspensions are over as much as possible!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
headingly_mariner
July 29, 2014, 11:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club
So i would like to see;

I have to agree with this although I don't think we really had a positive bench last season, this season whatever the first 11 is there is always likely to be an attacking option on the bench to offer something a little different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 29, 2014, 12:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from moosey_club
So i would like to see;

True enough. Twice we have looked good in mid-season only to struggle through to the end because of that lack of class. Decide on a system, preferably an attacking one, drill the team in it and let other sides worry about us instead of pratting about with so many changes. I would like to see Hurst use one partnership up front as well, let them play together for a few matches and establish a proper pairing. He swaps and changes strikers too much. Of course it depends on getting the right blend and some scoring quality up there to start with. Even Tees and Green needed time to gel and that side needed other goalscorers as well.

It makes it harder for the midfield and defence if we constantly change the strikers or switch about between one and two strikers. These are Conference players not world cup icons and they can't be expected to change tack in mid-game. If someone isn't playing well, keep the system and replace the player. Don't try and do both.

I think his biggest problem apart from signing a quality striker will be where to fit Neilson into the team. Hurst seems to favour him behind the strikers but I'm not sure that will work because it's a key role that needs top form from him every week or the system dies immediately. Don't think he can do that consistently. If he could he'd be playing well above our level.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
northbankmariner
July 29, 2014, 1:38pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Not sure what I would consider a good start and don't feel it can be determined by a point score or a league position after 10 games. For me a good start would be the players playing with no fear in a way that the passing and movement is effortless and we'll rehearsed on the training ground. Disagree only slightly with other posters stating we need to decide our style of play and stick to it as from what we have seen in this league more so than any other division is that there are differing styles and differing levels of ambition amongst our rivals, a good start for me could be measured as much about how intelligent and settled our new signings are than scraping a couple of false lucky 1-0 wins giving us a lofty position. I want to see a winning mentality installed in the players from the off and the players to learn and show improvement on match days. The real measure for me as to how to gauge a good start will be decided by how many fans make it through the turnstiles, this will be the only honest indication as to a good start or not, fans will pay if they like what they see regardless of how many points we have accumulated.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 29, 2014, 2:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from northbankmariner
Not sure what I would consider a good start and don't feel it can be determined by a point score or a league position after 10 games. For me a good start would be the players playing with no fear in a way that the passing and movement is effortless and we'll rehearsed on the training ground. Disagree only slightly with other posters stating we need to decide our style of play and stick to it as from what we have seen in this league more so than any other division is that there are differing styles and differing levels of ambition amongst our rivals, a good start for me could be measured as much about how intelligent and settled our new signings are than scraping a couple of false lucky 1-0 wins giving us a lofty position. I want to see a winning mentality installed in the players from the off and the players to learn and show improvement on match days. The real measure for me as to how to gauge a good start will be decided by how many fans make it through the turnstiles, this will be the only honest indication as to a good start or not, fans will pay if they like what they see regardless of how many points we have accumulated.

Fair enough and I agree entirely about the passing and winning mentality. My reasoning about the system though is that York for instance were a good example of getting some decent players and developing a system that they played more or less consistently all season when they were promoted and it was hard to play against. People did think they were a good side who seemed to get even better as the season went on.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good Start

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.