4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
HackneyHaddock
August 23, 2014, 10:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Stupendous result and a great effort from everyone.  Hopefully, it will add a few hundred to the gate for Monday and BP will have a decent crowd to get behind the team (but don't be expecting another six goals!).  On the predictions thread, I said I thought LJL and Pittman would start and have a good game together and so it transpired.

I hope this means the players truly believe that they can go out and do the same to any team in this league.  PH obviously sent them out to attack and was rewarded.  I hope he does the same for other games.  He might lose a few, but he'll also get more wins and cut down on the draws.  There's not a single team in this league who they should be afraid of.  Come on Town, onto Monday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
TAGG
August 23, 2014, 10:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 120797
pontoonlew I'm proud but also slightly disappointed in you too.

Not least because you said in the match thread...
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1408800031/s-120/#num130

Honest truth, I was gonna give you credit for being a bigger man than many others for saying that !
But then just as I was about to, noticed you slipped back into "Can't accept it cos I'll look weak" mode.

FFS just forget about quibbling over proving yourself to be right or wrong or whether Cook scored at Barrow.
Just get with the program !
No I don't mean blindly be an obedient yes man, just don't feel you need be a rebel for no real reason !  

Ultimately it's not about who's right or wrong...
Truth is, no-one really gives a flying intercourse or gets any credit even if they are !

It's about OUR club and how we can ALL be WINNERS TOGETHER UTD !
Do you get it ?...

You've suprised us once, will you be that hero & suprise us all again !?
I know you can do it ! Will you ?....
Come on mate, just lay down that pointless defensive posturing and join the real winning team !

i.e. NOT Fenty/happy clapper/rose tint Utd FC v Anti-Fenty/negative/rebel City.

I mean EVERYONE united together as the REAL GTFC !  

Same goes for anyone else who can admit they perhaps got over-gloomy or jumped the gun far too early too.
All welcome, jump on board !  

Bottom line is we're stronger together (hmmm that rings a bell !)

Are you Tim Mickelburgh?????????????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 23, 2014, 10:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,755
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from 120797

Oh I see it's like that is ?

Concern for the team coming from the man who seems to have been complaining endlessly over LJL even AFTER he had a good game (arguably MOM) v Dover.

Well if a 6-1 win and 2 LJL goals won't convince you, I frankly doubt you'll ever "jump on board" at all !

Does this mean "see if things go pear shaped for 1 game and then complain AGAIN" ?

For gods sake man give it a rest, IMO Pontoon Lew makes many valuable points and in many tries to be constructive. Likecall of us he makes comments that in hindsight can look wrong or misguided but do we need to spend every good or bad result making each grovel over comments we have made. iMO anyone who thought LJL was MOM last week is deluded but that is my opinion and I accept others see things differently. LJL scores two goals and we all should accept we are wrong about him? No way, if he scores consistently then yes we will hold are hands up but history suggests this will not be the case.

In the end we all want town to win everything else is irrelevant when we do and wins like today are great particularly for the loyal fans who travel away every week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
pontoonlew
August 23, 2014, 10:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,088
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from 120797

Oh I see it's like that is ?

Concern for the team coming from the man who seems to have been complaining endlessly over LJL even AFTER he had a good game (arguably MOM) v Dover.

Well if a 6-1 win and 2 LJL goals won't convince you, I frankly doubt you'll ever "jump on board" at all !

Does this mean "see if things go pear shaped for 1 game and then complain AGAIN" ?

80's i've watched football and in particular Grimsby Town to know that one game doesn't make a team, or a player. I find it quite ironic that you've spent all week telling people who were moaning about the first 3 games that 3 games doesn't make a season, now we've won one game you're prancing round The Fishy as though you knew it all along.

It isn't about being right or wrong, it's about opinions. If we go up this season, i'd still stand by the points I made last week because at the time they were my opinion. I'm not going to turn round and pretend I'm delighted about how the last year has gone because i'm not. However I am delighted about how the last 8 hours or so have gone and that could potentially spark a brilliant 8 months, you'll be hard pushed to find anybody moaning then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
August 23, 2014, 11:01pm
Guest User
Today the team performed, the attitude was positive the selection was good, the squad was bigger and the luck that all teams need was with us.

Exactly !
Why do so many refuse to accept we didn't have the "luck"(or missed chances whatever, had injurys, stubborn oppostion etc) before though ? Or even now !!!
If the side continues to perform as well and the results come in and we are challenging for top spot the fans will be behind the team in droves.

They've been good already I know, sure hope you're right too !
Perhaps I'm paying more attention to selected fishy opinions than I really should.
Just I remember the board last year being a minefield of complaints even when we were winning.

Personally I think we CAN challenge for top spot but it won't be a doddle either.
So if fans are thinking "playoffs aren't good enough" then tbh, I think it's unfair to set the bar that high.
If it's the budget or whatever then maybe complain about that, don't blame Hurst for doing a good job or having some credible excuses ?

It works that way round. Quite honestly for its size this club has had amazing support from the fans, now it is time for payback and this is the first instalment.

I assume you're not talking about Hurst here ?

tbh I feel the same as you about being down here too.
But equally I don't see myself more ready to blow with every bit of unlucky football fortune we suffer or every single failure to win.

I mean I know we won well today, but be honest, can you really see it helping if we get stuffed 4-0 or something ?
All I'm saying is, it can't be easy to operate under intense pressure. (assuming they are)
One swallow and all that ........... This is an excellent result that deserves praise but it isn't promotion and ultimately that is the acid test.

Well ok fine so why not wait until the end of the season then ?
Like Newell (tosser !) said "Judge me then !"

What's the point of dummy spitting at every non-win ?
Surely either you accept luck (and mitigating circumstances) plays a part or you don't.
Ok tbf some won't always see the finer "issues", I accept that.
But Jesus wept, even when you point out the bleedin obvious to some they still won't accept it either !
If there's valid criticism of the manager to be made, then fine, I'm not frightened to say my bit either.

Sorry it works both ways...
I'm not gonna be on here wasting my time talking to a bunch of immovable objects indefinitely.
Was kind of hoping people might have seen the point by now !

Think we're massively underachieving ?
I know it's frustrating and we probably are a bit but look at past managers and just consider if you're really so sure !

Really it's up to you lot.
Keep throwing out those dummy's repeatedly and see if things are suddenly any better. (who knows maybe it will !)

Got an issue with the board or budget then fine it's your own issue.
That's not what it sounds like though !
It's Hurst and the team I feel sympathy for...
(though you do wonder if today might have been a "kick up the backside" too to some degree)

Perhaps on Monday we may have the second instalment to enjoy as well.

I dread to think what will happen if we don't !

Someone made the point "those that shout loudest get heard more" (or something like that)
To be fair I kind of see that point.
Perhaps they're not the only ones who might have a right to feel aggrieved when people refuse to accept (the positive side to) things.
Reply: 24 - 39
Marinerz93
August 23, 2014, 11:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Can we have a cease fire lads, today's win has given us renewed hope, a few of the things we have been calling for have been delivered.  Enjoy the fantastic win and get smashed.

Let's not turn this celebratory thread into an 80's vs Pontoonlew round 2, consider Gatesheed our punch bag not each other.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
August 23, 2014, 11:47pm
Guest User
Let's just have it out Marinerz, think it's best (I probably won't be here again for a while anyway...)

Just one final one, then I'll leave you all to it.
Or maybe I'll just leave it with people completely, only give my match thoughts and won't ever argue or try to convince anyone anymore with long winded arguments ever again ok ?...

Got it all written down here now anyway !  

Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
For gods sake man give it a rest

See my point ?
It's a pain up when people go on all the time isn't it ?

IMO Pontoon Lew makes many valuable points and in many tries to be constructive.

You talk like I never pay him any compliments or see his point, I do.

Likecall of us he makes comments that in hindsight can look wrong or misguided but do we need to spend every good or bad result making each grovel over comments we have made

Don't anyone to "grovel" at all !
Simply to try to open their eyes (with hindsight)
tbf I did offer pontoonlew a compliment too.

People can think what they like about me - I really don't give a toss.
just giving my views on what's best for GTFC (like everyone so ok, point taken...)

And I know the club isn't exactly 100% united but for me, there's no intellectual hierachy at play here.
Just you can argue black is black and get nowhere until you're blue in the face.
Perhaps it's only me, but when you see the same arguments being used again and again, you sometimes wonder why you even bother trying to help fans feel more upbeat.  

iMO anyone who thought LJL was MOM last week is deluded but that is my opinion and I accept others see things differently.

You see for me this is probably the whole point.

My guess (and that's what it is judging by my perception of the Upper Findus) is many fans went there with pre-conceived ideas and reached the conclusions they wanted.
Due to all those previous frustrations I guess...

But here's a question for you - look at it this way....
All those who were accused of being called "happy clappers" because some assumed they were just being "positive" for the sake of it" ?

Need I say more regards club unity ?...

Not pointing the finger, point is THEY are !
Just wish we could ALL move on from that together (but do accept we're all different !)

LJL scores two goals and we all should accept we are wrong about him? No way, if he scores consistently then yes we will hold are hands up but history suggests this will not be the case.

Well put it this way...
Even I wouldn't expect him to be main (or 20+) goalscorer.
No disrepect intended but it's almost as daft as expecting Disley to be IMO.

In the end we all want town to win

Do we ?
I used to think so, now I'm not so sure.
Sorry, it's just how I feel - for me it just don't stack up !

Anyway point taken, I'm probably gonna be on my bike for a while fairly soon again anyway.
Just even after a 6-1 just find the whole situation a bit sad like it's back to square 1 all over again.  

See ?
Even I'm a miserable sod now when I should be happy !

[quote=3605]wins like today are great particularly for the loyal fans who travel away every week.
I agree, good for them !
Respect...

Good luck lads, you can do it !
UTM
Reply: 26 - 39
August 23, 2014, 11:51pm
Guest User
So there you go then...
You might see the odd match report but I've done all my arguments now, that's it.

UTM on Monday !  
Reply: 27 - 39
Biccys
August 23, 2014, 11:55pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
So fan positivity is this years drum to bang is it 80's? Previously you were bumping your gums about squad rotation. Incessantly. At great length. Ad nauseum.

Most people will make a point once or maybe twice. Usually there's a degree of debate about that point and people either agree or don't. You can't seem to accept that and rant on and on about your pet subject as if everyone else must accept your point. You feel you may have a valid point but there's no need to keep writing War and Peace about it in every thread you possibly can.

And, newsflash...people don't have to agree with you. Whether your point is correct in your perception or not.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 39
Meza
August 24, 2014, 12:23am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
I quite like 80's post normally they are well constructed and fairly argued I've had a couple of disagreements but in a friendly way.

anyway

We are town we are town we are tooown

we are town we are town we are tooown

we are town we are town  we are town

we are town

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Today's win wasn't

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.