7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 1, 2014, 8:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
80's what would I have done? Whilst I would have probably kept Saturday's team I can appreciate that change.

I also acknowledge that Southport were very well organised and were calm in possession, however, it was clear that they had put five across the middle, which soon became five at the back when we had the ball, and were winning all the second balls. Given Parslow was not having his best night I would have taken him off at half time and brought on Paddy and matched them up with three at the back and Magnay on the right. Cannot recall them attacking down their right flank much all night.

I would also have insisted that Scott Nielson hug the touchline and with Mckreth wide right we try and stretch them out and try and get to the bylines and pull crosses back. Crosses from deep positions were egg and milk for their defenders.

PH is a qualified coach but although accused of tinkering with team selections he never tinkers with our formation during matches, we do not even get the centre half spending the last five minutes up top trying to cause problems.

Would like to see Pitman and Arnold up top and guess I am not alone as these two will not bring us success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 8:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,669
Gold Stars: 189
I don't think we had the players to play 3 at the back last night. If you have that, you're relying on the wingers to become wing-backs. Can you really imagine having Neilson and Mackreth playing as wing-backs? They will both work hard, but neither is capable of defending particularly well.

Unfortunately, there were few other options last night as we just don't have the depth in the squad to change our attacking options when things aren't going well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
jonnyboy82
October 1, 2014, 8:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
All this over analysis bullshit , its simple we are not good enough with paul at the helm.

no motivation, no tactical awareness and no god damm belief !

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
gtfc82
October 1, 2014, 8:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
It made me laugh listening to some callers on the radio claiming that we are "better" this season! We are 13th!!!! Lower than teams like Woking, Braintree and Eastleigh!! How the hell is that better?!!!
Going nowhere with PH in charge!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
jonnyboy82
October 1, 2014, 8:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from gtfc82
It made me laugh listening to some callers on the radio claiming that we are "better" this season! We are 13th!!!! Lower than teams like Woking, Braintree and Eastleigh!! How the hell is that better?!!!
Going nowhere with PH in charge!  

indeed, I think being on the radio must have got to them !

I think they were trying to convince themselves more than anything.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
gtfc82
October 1, 2014, 8:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Spot on!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
Chrisblor
October 1, 2014, 9:48am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,960
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from jonnyboy82
All this over analysis bullshit , its simple we are not good enough with paul at the helm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
gobby
October 1, 2014, 10:30am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Utter garbage performance from players and management. See you all at Dartford!
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
fiveallive
October 1, 2014, 12:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
80's the 4-4-1-1 formation is the one i use a lot with Nielson then Hannah, with formation would suit Pittman better when he's fit because of his eye for a goal and physical strength he's quick aswell, Hannah is not the player we have had on loan maybe its just his hamstring injuries have taken their toll on him or he's lost a yard but he's not effective as he wants was when he was on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
FishOutOfWater
October 1, 2014, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
My take on last night....

Instead of leaving work at half five, dashing about to get to BP for the kick off, sitting about frustrated for the best part of 2 hours and then getting home just after eleven, I could have saved time, money and maybe done something enjoyable with my Tuesday

I thought we were as clueless as I've ever seen us for long time...we didn't control the ball, our passing wasn't up to scratch, we were off the pace, we switched off near the end which lead to their winner and all in all Southport deserved to go home with the 3 points

I get the impression some people think Southport just parked the bus and it was some kind of smash and grab performance by them but in reality, from the kick off to the end, they had desire, good organisation and energy. Everything we seemed to lack

Now whether that's down to the players and the managers I don't know. I listened to RH on the way back home and Macca saying that they came out to a flat atmosphere doesn't cut it for me. There is a responsibility on the team to come out wanting to win, not expecting the crowd to whip them up to perform

I said to my mate before the game that having missed the Chester game on Saturday where by all accounts we deserved the win because we wanted it, I suspected it would be a case of "after the lord mayor's show" and we'd struggle last night.

I really didn't think it would be as bad as it was...Southport would maybe frustrate us I thought but the frustration was more to do with our team than theirs.

Oh well, maybe next season we might be able to put in a performance against them because from what I saw, we'll both be in the same divison again come 2015
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.