MuddyWaters
September 30, 2014, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,271
Gold Stars: 236
Woeful, inadequate.

The manager had the opportunity to change it at half time, match up, replace Parslow with Paddy ( technically best player at the club) and be positive. It was still nil- nil after all!
Private Message
Mariner Ronnie
September 30, 2014, 11:01pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
bloody hell how many threads do we need?

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
louth_in_the_south
September 30, 2014, 11:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 96
The more threads our chairman reads the more trigger happy he's going to get hopefully

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
Maringer
September 30, 2014, 11:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,569
Gold Stars: 185
Erm, replace a right-back with a left-sided central midfielder? So we only had 3 defenders on the pitch?

That's some crayzee excrement you're smoking.  

Some changes were certainly required earlier in the second half, but that's not one of them. Personally, I'd have taken off the utterly ineffectual Neilson for Paddy who couldn't have been any less use going forward than Scott was tonight.

The fact that we didn't have any other attacking options on the bench (other than the lad Oates) shows how poorly balanced the squad is at present with the current injuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2014, 11:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
They played 352 and Neilson was our only attacking threat all night, were you there? Their 2 strikers gave our 4 defenders more problems than our 2 strikers gave their 3 defenders. Big Clayton didn't even break sweat.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
jonnyboy82
September 30, 2014, 11:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, replace a right-back with a left-sided central midfielder? So we only had 3 defenders on the pitch?

That's some crayzee excrement you're smoking.  

Some changes were certainly required earlier in the second half, but that's not one of them. Personally, I'd have taken off the utterly ineffectual Neilson for Paddy who couldn't have been any less use going forward than Scott was tonight.

The fact that we didn't have any other attacking options on the bench (other than the lad Oates) shows how poorly balanced the squad is at present with the current injuries.

The fact we dont have any more attacking options is that hurst is probably hoping he spots a akinfenwa peter crouch love child somewere...

The man has had plenty of time to sort out his loans or permanant striking options but refuses to bring what we need which is pace!

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Maringer
September 30, 2014, 11:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
They played 352 and Neilson was our only attacking threat all night, were you there? Their 2 strikers gave our 4 defenders more problems than our 2 strikers gave their 3 defenders. Big Clayton didn't even break sweat.

Are you sure you were there? Neilson was utterly hopeless tonight, probably his worst performance for us that I can remember. I think he made 1 good pass in the first half for LJL's chance but otherwise did absolutely sweet F.A.

The general way things went was:

Neilson is passed the ball. He turns inside, tries to take on a man, ends up crabbing across the pitch, twisting and turning without getting anywhere and ignoring simple passes to teammates. He then eventually loses the ball after running into a blind alley, loses it by attempting a pass which is never on or makes the simple pass long after the opposition has had time to get back to defend in depth.

He was hopeless tonight. Just the way it is with him, unfortunately. When he's good, he's very, very good, when he's bad he's pretty useless. If he was more reliable, he'd be playing at a higher level.

As you noted, their two strikers (ably supported by their midfield) caused our back four problems tonight, but you're saying we should have removed a defender a half time when we were still level? Sorry, I still don't get this, especially as our wingers aren't the types capable of playing as wing-backs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2014, 11:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jonnyboy82

The fact we dont have any more attacking options is that hurst is probably hoping he spots a akinfenwa peter crouch love child somewere...

The man has had plenty of time to sort out his loans or permanant striking options but refuses to bring what we need which is pace!

Oh do get real man! Crouch has scored a few.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Stevie Saunders
September 30, 2014, 11:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Casting vote from me - Neillson was poor tonight IMO but still won MOM???!!!!

We are very weak up top - final third lacks spark and cutting edge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
grimsby pete
September 30, 2014, 11:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Two words

YOU'R     FIRED  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
October 1, 2014, 2:05am
Guest User
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Sorry but apart from the LJL chance left side, how would a pacy striker have made any difference to their 5 defenders camped out across the back ?
If you ask me we need a striker who is skillful, tricky, can feed in others, hold the ball up AND score goals.
Not easy to find I imagine...  
Is Tony Rees still available ?
Cos unless we get down the flanks, that's what we need to unlock these teams ala Buckley IMO.

Even pre-season before returning, I was reading all this talk about "pace" and wondering how on earth that would help to unlock defences who park the bus.
Reply: 10 - 18
MuddyWaters
October 1, 2014, 6:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 120797

Sorry but apart from the LJL chance left side, how would a pacy striker have made any difference to their 5 defenders camped out across the back ?
If you ask me we need a striker who is skillful, tricky, can feed in others, hold the ball up AND score goals.
Not easy to find I imagine...  
Is Tony Rees still available ?
Cos unless we get down the flanks, that's what we need to unlock these teams ala Buckley IMO.

Even pre-season before returning, I was reading all this talk about "pace" and wondering how on earth that would help to unlock defences who park the bus.

Against a 352, it's up to the 2 attackers to work the channels and move the back 3 out of position to make room for running midfielders. Big Clayton didn't have to move all night and we don't have running midfielders.

In response to Maringer, I didn't say Neilson was good, I said he was our only attacking threat.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
RoboCod
October 1, 2014, 7:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Don't you think these formation re-shuffles would appear to be a little too complicated for a team who 'forgot' about defending a short corner?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 7:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In response to Maringer, I didn't say Neilson was good, I said he was our only attacking threat.

Well, I thought he was awful and offered pretty much no threat all game. In fact, he held onto the ball so long that he actively helped Southport get back to defend lots of the time.

He's got a lot of skill, but doesn't have the intelligence to keep it simple when things are tight and not going well for us. Needs to make the ball do the work instead of trying to beat every man - the number of times he ignored an easy pass to Magnay to instead go on a mazy run achieving absolutely nothing was incredible last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
MuddyWaters
October 1, 2014, 7:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod
Don't you think these formation re-shuffles would appear to be a little too complicated for a team who 'forgot' about defending a short corner?

Listening to PH interview, it's clearly beyond him.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
gtfc82
October 1, 2014, 8:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Should have changed to 433 or 4312 at half time or even earlier, but then we know that PH has no idea how to make early changes!!
We rarely start games on the front foot, which is frustrating, especially when up against struggling teams. 442 led to very predictable, pointless hoofball towards LJL. This just doesn't work cos we've not got any pace and Hannah has no idea how to stay onside. A change to 3 up front would have stretched their back 3 and hopefully led to more chances as we might have played it around more!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
FishOutOfWater
October 1, 2014, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
The two words I have in mind about our team and performance fit perfectly with this song...

Usually we'd sing it for the opposition but there's no getting away from it, we deserved everything we got last night

[youtube]ryQdiB5tGJA[/youtube]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 18
RoboCod
October 1, 2014, 1:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Three words for me, that fill me with dread/despair...."Corner to Town.."

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Biccys
October 1, 2014, 3:32pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from gtfc82
Should have changed to 433 or 4312 at half time or even earlier, but then we know that PH has no idea how to make early changes!!
We rarely start games on the front foot, which is frustrating, especially when up against struggling teams. 442 led to very predictable, pointless hoofball towards LJL. This just doesn't work cos we've not got any pace and Hannah has no idea how to stay onside. A change to 3 up front would have stretched their back 3 and hopefully led to more chances as we might have played it around more!

Bang on the money for me too. It was screaming out for someone to take the ball through the middle and stretch the defensive 3 as the one time it happened (Toto sauntered through the middle 40yards of the pitch from our box to near theirs 2nd half) they parted like the red sea. Neilson should and could have been moved to the middle and the just as innefective Mackreth replaced with Paddy to shore up the middle. That would have allowed the forwards more space to exploit and Neilson room to work his magic. As it stood, he was marked out of the game at every opportunity and looked to me to be frustrated by that. PH must have seen what we all saw but chose to react by replacing like for like players and the system stayed the same, with a predictably poor end result. Substitutions are meant to change the team for the better albeit more defensive or more offensive. Neither happened.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two words

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.