Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where have all the fans gone?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 98 Guests

Where have all the fans gone?

This thread currently has 6,720 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 23, 2014, 8:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

This is a total and utter myth and I'm astounded that anyone can persists in it when there's not a shred of evidence that it's true. We have the whole AB eras as a case study. Crowds were low in the Championship (5000s), yes higher than now but that much when you take into account the level we were playing at and the away crowd. We got nearly as many in 2006 when Slade nearly got us promoted as we did in the late Championship seasons. The reason why is we were at the top of the table, A few people complained about the style then but they still came, as did hundreds of others who didn't complain.

In my view the main factors which affect the gate at any club are:

1. League position (people want to watch a winning side whatever the division).
2. Cost (people on low incomes can't afford to go to every game)
3. Who the opposition are. Big clubs bring fans, they also draw out the home crowd.
4. League. Every time you drop a division you will lose some of the home crowd. This is especially true higher up.

Style of football is of course a factor but very much a secondary one. Most people go home happy if their team has won however it was achieved. Obviously you'll get a few more if you play attractive football but you'll get a lot more if you win nearly every week.

If you look at page 245 of Soccernomics there is a long discussion of this subject with a case study of Bristol City.

For once I find myself in agreement with you Rob.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
denni266
November 23, 2014, 8:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
£18 is a lot for a lot of people, and to many that do like there footie this £18 can buy half a weeks food . personaly i wont pay that to watch the drab football that is served up by hurst. I want to be entertained and enjoy my time out the house , not come home feeling let down time and time again. For £18 i can have 3 full days fishing , and before anyone says it, that is what i do.. at the moment...and i am sure that others  do something simular.  I have been watching town since the early 60`s and have seen some bad times but this is the worst, and i am not wasting my money on football any more untill things change
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
mariner91
November 23, 2014, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimRob

This is a total and utter myth and I'm astounded that anyone can persists in it when there's not a shred of evidence that it's true. We have the whole AB eras as a case study. Crowds were low in the Championship (5000s), yes higher than now but not that much when you take into account the level we were playing at and the away crowd. We got nearly as many in 2006 when Slade nearly got us promoted as we did in the late Championship seasons. The reason why is we were at the top of the table, A few people complained about the style then but they still came, as did hundreds of others who didn't complain.

In my view the main factors which affect the gate at any club are:

1. League position (people want to watch a winning side whatever the division).
2. Cost (people on low incomes can't afford to go to every game)
3. Who the opposition are. Big clubs bring fans, they also draw out the home crowd.
4. League. Every time you drop a division you will lose some of the home crowd. This is especially true higher up.

Style of football is of course a factor but very much a secondary one. Most people go home happy if their team has won however it was achieved. Obviously you'll get a few more if you play attractive football but you'll get a lot more if you win nearly every week.

If you look at page 245 of Soccernomics there is a long discussion of this subject with a case study of Bristol City.

Slade's two seasons show this perfectly. In his first season, although people seem to have forgotten it, we played some really lovely football at times but struggled in the league and the crowds were much lower than when we played Slade ball and were winning most games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
realist
November 23, 2014, 11:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
There are many factors involved here. A win didn't always sent me home happy if they played poorly - I have seen some dire displays that have somehow got the win.  I have gone home happy after a battling defeat by a better team as long as they tried their best. I can never be happy with the standard and tactics that is served at the moment regardless of our league position.
My family like to go to a match with me, so after drinks, fish and chips it costs me nearly £100 to watch this rubbish. We have started going to the Tilted Barrel every other home game instead.  We spend a fraction of the amount attending the match and always leave happy. Soon we will lose the habit of going to the match completely. My mates only go because they have season tickets but are talking of giving up soon. I think the undercurrent could lead to a huge sudden fall in attendance if the customers are not entertained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
fleabag1970
November 24, 2014, 8:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Like all Businesses , Some of the customers will have died , some will have gone to our competitors , some will be trying something new , some will be short of money .............................
  One thing is for sure to keep telling the faithful that are left to keep quite and not complain will not help boost the crowds .  There is a Dark Cloud over BP , it moves from time to time but it is never far away .  

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
GorgeousGeorge
November 24, 2014, 9:25am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Maybe someone's desire not to devalue the product has managed to do the exact opposite.  It isn't about money with me, I'll pay whatever it costs to be entertained.  Sadly I don't feel entertained by somebody who hits on a winning formula then changes it.  I don't feel entertained by somebody who after three years displays zero tactical nous.  However the final nail in the coffin is that for some strange reason, that same somebody seems to think it's the fault of the fans.  Quite frankly I've had enough, I'm not short of a few quid but that's no excuse to waste it where it isn't appreciated.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
biggles9999
November 24, 2014, 12:11pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Im not convinced this thing about Sky killing football, it may have contributed to high prices however, but I dont think that many fans stay in to watch it rather than attend a game simply because it is on TV. In Germany you can view any Saturday kick off (2:30pm instead of 3pm) live on TV and yet their attendances are higher now than they were around 8 -10 years ago.

This is likely down to the relative costs.

On a personal note at GTFC I have stopped attending as much when they removed the free kids ticket in the Main Stand. I dont have huge amounts of money available and the additional £7 a week makes it a little OTT when theres a chance they will get bored and restless anyway at the run of the mill games - despite my daughter liking football and the atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
horsforthmariner
November 24, 2014, 12:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 9
We never used to get much more than 5k in the 2nd tier so to be only 1500 down three tiers lower isn't bad.

3 things that put people off.
1. Rubbish football who really wants to see Halifax or Gateshead beat up our players for 90 minutes.
2. Blundell Park which is a rubbish stadium and freezing.
3. The prices - I wonder if we put our prices down to a tenner if we would see big increases in attendances. To be fair the club may have used complex computer programmes to work out the optimum ticket price and if that's the case fair play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
JMT
November 24, 2014, 12:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
Surprisingly in our relegation season we managed to average 4,428..

not too bad tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
mariner91
November 24, 2014, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from JMT
Surprisingly in our relegation season we managed to average 4,428..

not too bad tbh.

Not surprising at all. Crowds turn out for the big games and when you're battling relegation from the FL there are some very big games to be played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where have all the fans gone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.