This thread currently has 30,476 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
May 9, 2015, 8:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
However frustrated some folk feel we do have to accept that the public have backed a Tory majority government. Simple, end of. However they came to that position still has me baffled, bit if folk really are happy with the thumping austerity that is to come so be it. £12 billion of cuts to follow very shortly, something the Tories didn't dare talk about suring the election and for good reason, we will lose what we recognise as the Welfare State, and I'm absolutely convinced that the NHS will be completely unrecognisable come 2020 when it's primary purpose is profit not care.

Trade Unions will be completely neutered because the ability to take industrial action will be virtually impossible due to new guidelines on how many must vote for any such action to be legal. With this neutering, collective bargaining will crumble as workers find they can not back up threats of action to try and force the employer back around the negotiating table. As the Unions' weaknesses gather apace, zero hour contracts will probably become the norm. There will be an assault on final salary pension schemes in the public sector, in short working folk are going to get shafted. New rules will be brought in, probably, to make going to an Employment Tribunal even more harder, it will be come an employer's paradise harking back to the pre WW2 years of hire and fire and folk having to doff their caps and eat sh1t to get a days work.

The people have spoken.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 219
chaos33
May 9, 2015, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Sadly I agree.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 219
barralad
May 9, 2015, 9:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from jock dock tower
However frustrated some folk feel we do have to accept that the public have backed a Tory majority government. Simple, end of. However they came to that position still has me baffled, bit if folk really are happy with the thumping austerity that is to come so be it. £12 billion of cuts to follow very shortly, something the Tories didn't dare talk about suring the election and for good reason, we will lose what we recognise as the Welfare State, and I'm absolutely convinced that the NHS will be completely unrecognisable come 2020 when it's primary purpose is profit not care.

Trade Unions will be completely neutered because the ability to take industrial action will be virtually impossible due to new guidelines on how many must vote for any such action to be legal. With this neutering, collective bargaining will crumble as workers find they can not back up threats of action to try and force the employer back around the negotiating table. As the Unions' weaknesses gather apace, zero hour contracts will probably become the norm. There will be an assault on final salary pension schemes in the public sector, in short working folk are going to get shafted. New rules will be brought in, probably, to make going to an Employment Tribunal even more harder, it will be come an employer's paradise harking back to the pre WW2 years of hire and fire and folk having to doff their caps and eat sh1t to get a days work.

The people have spoken.

In the words of Bachman-Turner Overdrive....You ain't seen nothin'yet.

The only good thing the Lib Dems did in coalition was refuse to back the constituency boundary changes that the Tories wanted to bring in to give them an electoral advantage in England. Sadly, Melanie Onn could be the first and last woman to represent the town at Westminster...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 219
Maringer
May 9, 2015, 11:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,683
Gold Stars: 189
Yep, the mention about Unions is very relevant.

The Conservatives plan to pass a law so that over 50% of Union members will have to vote in favour of industrial action for it to be legal.

Their mandate for this? Being returned to government after receiving the vote of a smidgeon over 24% of the electorate. By their own apparent requirements, they aren't fit to govern, an irony which I am sure will be lost on them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 219
FishOutOfWater
May 12, 2015, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Maringer
Well, there are always some who do well, even during and in the immediate aftermath of a recession. However, the majority of people haven't seen any recovery in living standards before the last year or so and this recent improvement is down to the drop in oil prices and inflation which is nothing to do with Osborne's handling of the economy. That's sheer chance which has worked out for him well, but the myth that the economy has been 'fixed' by the government's actions just isn't true.

The recovery from the last recession has been hit badly by Osborne's austerity plan which was just economically incompetent. Making cuts in spending during a recovery goes against all economic theory and as I note in post 204, this cost a lot of growth. This lost growth would have been worth thousands (and possibly tens of thousands) of pounds per person in the economy. This is compounded by the fact that the Eurozone has also been engaging in similar austerity so our main trading partners are struggling as well.

My worry is not just that Osborne's planned but uncosted cuts will cause hardship for the poorest in society (which they will), it is that his cuts will lead us back towards stagnation or even recession. Despite all evidence to the contrary, and there is a lot, Osborne still believes in the 'trickle down' crap that tax cuts for the wealthy and businesses lead to a general improvement in the economy and everyone's lot. That is why he wants to cut £12 billion of benefits which go to the poorest in our society whilst at the same time giving the wealthy £8 billion in tax cuts. This will inevitably lead to greater poverty and social ills whilst the wealthiest get even richer. Economic inequality is bad in a society and the rich are only going to get richer as the poorest get poorer.

It doesn't seem to have occurred to Osborne that the poorest spend absolutely all of their income. Cutting the money to these people not only takes money out of their pockets and makes life much harder for them, it takes it out of the economy as a whole. On the other hand, much of the money given to the wealthy through tax cuts will end up as savings or even being spent overseas which doesn't help our economy whatsoever.

My spending is your earnings.

Savings are a good thing when the economy is doing well as you want people to have money to fall back on in hard times so they are less reliant on the state. However, when you're in a weak recovery following a deep recession, savings are absolutely the last thing you want - this is why interest rates have been almost at zero for years, to try and stop people saving money and instead spend to put their money back into the economy.

Anyway, I've spent a lot of time writing about bad economics in the lead up to and the aftermath of the election and I need to do something better with my time so I'll give it a rest soon.

People have voted and many are obviously happy to have elected a Conservative government. I've just tried to show that, if you thought the Conservative government had done well with the economy over the past 5 years, you are misinformed. The economy has done OK - just - despite many of their policies, not because of them. Note that pretty much all of the parties have bought into the austerity nonsense so all deserved criticism for their planned policies, though the Conservatives were worse than Labour and the LibDems. If you think the previous Labour government was especially profligate and this led to the recession or meant we struggled to deal with its effects, you are also misinformed as I have pointed out in earlier posts.

Ultimately, a lot of people will have voted for the Conservatives based on bad information which is very frustrating.

Hope I'm wrong about the way the economy will now head under Osborne, but I'm afraid I don't think I am. In a year or two (or three), if we find ourselves back in recession, just remember what I've said when you hear Osborne blaming external conditions for the tough times we are facing.

Maringer

Having followed this thread all the way, can I just say thanks for your input and information

Despite the outcome I think the way you have educated us throughout the process has been first class...

If only there had been someone nationally who could have shared the information in the same way you've done with us, maybe a few of those who took the conservative "don't like change" stance might just have given their choice a bit more thought

Anyway don't know what your day job is but as a political commentator you've really been top drawer - appreciate you giving us a chance to see beyond what most of the media would have you believe
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 214 - 219
Maringer
May 12, 2015, 3:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Thanks for the kind words.

Over the past couple of years, I've just picked up a lot of this stuff from reading various macroeconomic blogs and for me, it still just beggars belief how the media has completely bought in to the whole Conservative spin about the previous Labour government's expenditure, cause of the recession and the 'success' of the recovery.

On the other hand, it also beggars belief that Balls and Miliband, both highly qualified economists, failed to rebut this narrative from the outset! I just can't understand what on earth their logic behind this stance was but it has certainly all but ended their respective careers in politics as well as giving Osborne the chance to do his worst.

As it stands, Osborne is going to have a hell of a time with things over the next 5 years. The Conservatives promised loads of unfunded giveaways in the lead up to the election under the apparent assumption many could be quietly dropped in the expected coalition government. There is no way all these giveaways can be funded which is clear when you consider that the Tories hadn't even calculated where their promised tax and benefits cuts would materialise from.

I would say it would be quite nice to watch Osborne squirm as he tries to deal with these issues, but the poverty and misery caused by his cuts will rather take the fun out of things.  

As it stands, it could be a very interesting 5 years. The Tories will undoubtedly push through the boundary changes they wanted to implement last time and this is likely to hand them another 40-odd seats in the next election. I note that they have already begun to menace the BBC with reports in the Tory press doing the usual 'quotes' from unnamed senior Tories complaining about bias in the BBC's coverage of the election and a rabidly anti-beeb MP being installed as Culture Secretary. Utter tosh, but it is setting the narrative which should keep the BBC quiet for another 5 years.

Interesting times ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 219
Rodley Mariner
May 12, 2015, 6:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
So the new equalities minister voted against gay marriage.........Good news that they're getting rid of zero-hours contracts though and replacing them with 'flexible hours contracts'. Obviously the degree of flex allows for zero hours but you can't expect too much. This is only the start.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 219
Maringer
May 13, 2015, 6:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Apparently the new Science Minister is Jo Johnson (brother of Boris). His Dad, Stanley, who is much as a buffoon as Boris (and I assume Jo), has happily proclaimed that this son knows nothing about science!

I realise that the civil service are there to advise Ministers who don't have any knowledge about their brief, but you would think it might be quite a good idea for the Science Minister to have some sort of a clue about science bearing how important it is in the modern world.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 219
psgmariner
May 13, 2015, 10:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 218 - 219
Maringer
May 13, 2015, 11:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just reads as more Tory bile to me. Pretty much what you expect from the Spectator, really, which isn't surprising when you consider it is owned by the Barclay brothers, two shitbags of the highest order. Just read up about their shenanigans trying to destroy the society on Sark for their own gain. A couple of non-doms who went both barrels against the Labour party due to their threat to implement the Leveson recommendations in their entirety.

Anyway, as for the article itself, it was another typically sweeping 'critique' the like of which we've seen from many right-wing publications over the past week. Lumping in big chunks of the Labour support into narrow and false groupings based entirely on some inane comments from one or two people doesn't give an honest reflection of reality - they've won the election but can't stop the spinning.

There is no doubt that it was a terribly negative, disingenuous and divisive campaign by the Tories, and their lackeys in the media were misinforming their readers throughout. Even some prominent American right-wingers have commented on how terrible and biased our press is in comparison to the US. Here's what Andrew Neil, former editor of the Sunday Times (so not exactly a leftie) had to say the Sunday before the election:

"Tomorrow's front pages show British press at partisan worst. All pretence of separation between news and opinion gone, even in "qualities"."

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/595714970026962944

The Labour campaign was very poorly run but there is little doubt that many of the electorate voted how they did on the basis of bad information. As I've shown repeatedly earlier in this thread with plenty of evidence linked, most of the narrative in the media about the economy was simply not true, and the hysterical scaremongering about the Scots running the government didn't make any logical sense whatsoever.

Very noticeable how many Blairites have been wringing their hands in both the right-wing and left-wing press saying Labour were too radical and they need to move back to the centre. Utter nonsense. They just need to run a good campaign, get the truth across to the voters and then trust they will make the right decision based on good information.

Who knows, it might still lead to a Conservative government, but it would be nice if most of the electorate actually had access to the proper details when making their choice instead of just relying on thinly-veiled propaganda most of the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 219
22 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.