3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
January 27, 2015, 10:10am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from BIGChris
Less than two weeks ago we were going to struggle to make the playoffs, now we are going to be champions!

The fickle world that is The Fishy Chris.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Caesar
January 27, 2015, 10:15am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
I kind of predicted this kind of thread.

2 defeats, no signings... sack Hurst

2 wins, 2 signings... We are going to win the league.  

That said it is certainly possible, we look as if we can be a force and be the team to beat as we were all hoping at the start of the season.  Plus it can often happen that a team have a great run of form in the second half of the season and challenge for the title.   I really hope this can happen.

But I think that we need to show more consistency first before we get excited, we have had hope before and talked about challenging for the title, already this season and last only for a defeat to turn it all doom and gloom.  While we came through Nuneaton the first half higlighted my personal doubts about this team and Hurst's ability to get us up.  While we responded excellently in the second half I atill have my doubts so will try not to get too excited just yet.  But I cannot lie it is quite exciting at the moment so I shall enjoy it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
Southwark Mariner
January 27, 2015, 10:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from 137
Well IF Gregor Robertson can take a decent corner, our chances have improved significantly IMO!

There was a great video on the BBC site by Pat Nevin that gave his opinion why so many corners seem to be poor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29634200

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Trawler
January 27, 2015, 10:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

There was a great video on the BBC site by Pat Nevin that gave his opinion why so many corners seem to be poor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29634200

That's a fascinating item, but so far as I am aware we don't have synthetic turf around the edge of the Blundell Park pitch?  I stand to be corrected.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
GrimRob
January 27, 2015, 10:51am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Whatever happens we are going to try and win every game, so I don't see how we can "go" for the title specifically. That said I can see the club reasonably happy with a draw tonight, but that doesn't mean we are going to do a Cambridge and sit back for 90 minutes and defend.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 26
ginnywings
January 27, 2015, 11:03am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Nothing changes for me. We still look play off bound but with a better chance now that we have recruited fairly well. Hursts failure to bring in sufficient firepower at the start of the season hamstrung us from the start and it's too late now to make up all that lost ground.

Only time will tell whether we have recruited well this window as previous seasons should attest. I fully expect players to be going out soon, so let's see where we are when the dust settles. Tonight is a 6 pointer for me. If we can beat them, it keeps them at arms length. If they beat us, another team is breathing down our necks. I'd take a draw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
horsforthmariner
January 27, 2015, 11:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,633
Gold Stars: 9
Here is the problem - Barnet are running at present at 2 points per game if they continue with that they will end up on 93 points.
we have 16 games left - to overhaul that target we would have to win EVERY game. To draw level with them would only allow us 1 draw.

We are totally reliant on Barnet dipping - it's possible they could combust but I reckon they will still win the title. Having said that we've got a great record against the top half which bodes well for the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
January 27, 2015, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
Nothing changes for me. We still look play off bound but with a better chance now that we have recruited fairly well. Hursts failure to bring in sufficient firepower at the start of the season hamstrung us from the start and it's too late now to make up all that lost ground.

Only time will tell whether we have recruited well this window as previous seasons should attest. I fully expect players to be going out soon, so let's see where we are when the dust settles. Tonight is a 6 pointer for me. If we can beat them, it keeps them at arms length. If they beat us, another team is breathing down our necks. I'd take a draw.

I agree and the positivity/striker signings should have been made at the START of the season to give us a proper shot at the title.

It makes it all the more frustrating for me when signings like Jolley and Palmer should surely have been on our radar pre season. Not those two specifically but similar.

On the plus side, I said a while back that having cocked up pre season, the club had a duty to try to give us the best chance in the play offs if we make them, so I applaud them for getting in players who should give us a better chance of getting to Wembley.    
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Chrisblor
January 27, 2015, 11:26am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,922
Gold Stars: 238
Jolley said in his Mariners Player interview that Hurst had been after him for a while, but Jolley decided to stay down south initially which is why he went on loan to Forest Green. I imagine we've had similar problems when trying to recruit other players. Palmer only came here because he wasn't getting in the team at Mansfield - we wouldn't have been able to get him here at the start of the season.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
ginnywings
January 27, 2015, 12:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Here is the problem - Barnet are running at present at 2 points per game if they continue with that they will end up on 93 points.
we have 16 games left - to overhaul that target we would have to win EVERY game. To draw level with them would only allow us 1 draw.

We are totally reliant on Barnet dipping - it's possible they could combust but I reckon they will still win the title. Having said that we've got a great record against the top half which bodes well for the play offs.

No we wouldn't. Winning our remaining 16 games would give us 101 points, so there is some leeway and if we beat Barnet again, that would give us a bit more leeway. Who you beat is often as important as winning.

Not that i think this will happen but..............................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town for the title

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.