Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 222 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 7,533 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
oldludensian
March 25, 2015, 12:22am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Although road closures and contraflows contrived to try and f*ck me over.

Town were on top in the first half without really getting out of second gear. Dover offered nothing. Very basic and very route one. You felt we could easily have scored a few more without really creating many clear cut chances. Second half they dragged us down to their level and had a lot more possession. We ended up being quite deep and survived a number of close things. Jimmy tipped one over, just turned another around/over, they thought they'd scored another and then with about 20 seconds to go one went just wide. On that basis Dover probably thought they deserved a draw. I'm not sure as we had a couple of chances too, especially a Toto header (think it was Toto - was getting a burger). There was not a great deal of skill on show, it was all a hundred miles an hour and attritional. Their centre halves being particularly physical. Town though fought hard and competed manfully for everything - you couldn't fault their resolve and as a result we held on (Clay was out on his feet near the end). I couldn't really think of any stand out performers for us, everyone gave it their all.

Next stop Welling...........

PS About 250 Mariners there, that never stopped singing and beating that f*cking drum!
Logged Offline
Private Message
nickmariners
March 25, 2015, 12:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +519
Gold Stars: 4
Gutsy performance in what was not really a pulsating game in rain, hail, and what looked like a flutter of snow.

Well set-up and taken early goal.  Lenny just kept going one-on-one with the keeper after he initially seemed to push a great pass a little too far.  We looked to be on top the first half, and then under a fair bit of pressure the second half.

Oddly for a home-side, Dover were set up to frustrate - it looked like their formation was pretty much 5 - 5 (!!) so there was a congested midfield clogging up the works for both teams.

Good to see Brown get a run out.  

Great Town support.  Appalling roads!!  2 and a half hours to get there just from South London.  Then on way back -- M2 closed, M20 almost closed, M25 1 lane only open: Mariners going home to Grimsby will have a very long night.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
KingstonMariner
March 25, 2015, 12:52am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Agree with most of that. Ollie looked on fire first half. Faded out of it second half. Magnay looked pooped too as well as Clay.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
Wrawby_Mariner
March 25, 2015, 1:22am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Thought although routine saves, McKeown was handtastic towards the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 3 - 45
BIGChris
March 25, 2015, 1:38am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
First half we were much the better side. Great ball from Arnold for the goal. They played very direct despite not having particularly tall forwards but they did have effort and pace.
By and large we dealt with it at the back but when we got it we tried taking them on at their game and we ain't very good at it.

Don't want to be critical after 19points from 21 but some of our 'go to' men didn't shine tonight. I expected Diz to use his experience, get it down and pass it we he seemed to keep lobbing the ball in the air to nobody in particular. Brown looked like an under11 in mens football when he came on. I will get my tin hat on now and say Magnay, whilst ok, had probably the poorest game I have seen him have in a Town shirt.

Toto man of the match for me but Pearson and steady Gregor did well too. Clay tried to use the ball more than most and Arnold was our only real threat

Only thing that matters is the points, rest up and go again Saturday. UTM
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
Caesar
March 25, 2015, 2:01am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Agree with whats been said, after a good first half where we were on top we retreated a bit deep at times in the second and struggled to impose ourselves on the game, I can only really think of one chance we had in the second half when Arnold ran through.  

Dover then came at us more and we needed some good saves and a bad miss to keep it as a Town victory.  In many ways Dover deserved something but delighted we held on through a very long and nervous second half of football.

Thought a lot of players looked tired tonight.  Agree with you Chris about Magnay which is no big critcisim as he has been superb for us every time I have seen him but along with our central midfield pair and Palmer he deffo showed signs of fatigue tonight.  Still they all kept fighting for Town and that was great to see, hopefully they can be refreshed and ready to go again on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
WetFlannel
March 25, 2015, 2:05am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Agree that Magnay showed fatigue but still thought he was fantastic. A crucial slide tackle in the box and running down strikers who got behind the central defenders coming to mind. Overall, poor performance but once again the team spirit came through in the end. These lads are busting a nut every game for each other and it's so enjoyable being able to see that from Town players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
wycombemariner
March 25, 2015, 7:21am
UTM
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: -56
Only thing that matters is the three points, but... Palmer was greedy as fcuk last night, Jolley was urine poor again, and their full backs excrement themselves every time someone attacked them and crossed the ball which usually caused panic in the centre backs.  

Then halftime arrive and we never attacked their defence again, other than to hoof it Neweyesque down the flanks.  Should of at least drawn, but play excrement and win, I'll take that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
LondonMariner43
March 25, 2015, 7:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,953
Gold Stars: 64
Hopefully have Makreth back soon to provide more options up front.  Sounds like Jolley is one for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
chicaneuk
March 25, 2015, 8:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Did sound extremely backs to the wall in the final few minutes last night - I wonder why it always seems to go like that for us. I suppose on the plus side it didn't end up a draw (or even worse a defeat) and we held on for all three so maybe that's a positive?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.