Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › SQUAD FOR THE RUN IN?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 77 Guests

SQUAD FOR THE RUN IN?

This thread currently has 3,366 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
acko338
March 26, 2015, 8:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
Both areas now covered for a winger and the extra centre half positions - just in case !

To me, this is the best show of intent for trying their hardest to go for auto promotion over these last games!

This had got to be the best chance of going up, if we can keep the pressure on both Barnet & Bristol Rovers.

I also note that our Saturday opponents have also strengthened by re-signing Ross Lafeyette from Luton Town. No easy pushovers !
Logged Offline
Private Message
SamTheMariner
March 26, 2015, 9:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
No one is a push over, I apologise for sounding like a football manager but I that's how it is. However, I did see them on the Tele recently against Altrincham and they were poor, but their results have picked up recently and I expect a tough game. Agree that we have strengthened well, we've now got proper centre half cover, on Easter Monday, and three genuine wingers, Jolley is neither a winger or any good so that is also an improvement. Things just appear to be going that bit too well.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
moosey_club
March 26, 2015, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
So who is going to miss out?

Currently the proverbial bench warmers with little hope of getting on are  Bignot and Hannah....so will Gowling bump Bignot off the bench and will Chappel even get on the bench?
Makreth was ill not injured so if he has overcome illness we will have 4 winger types, only playing two of them....so will two make the bench? i doubt that so who misses out, Jolley or Chappel i suspect.....or would Hannah be bumped off leaving Jolley and Chappel on the bench with Jolley an option for striker replacement?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Grantham_Mariner
March 26, 2015, 9:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,196
Gold Stars: 51
Getting ready for next season when there will be two more places on the bench............................I hope.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Caveman
March 26, 2015, 10:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Still bothers me that we have no goalkeeper cover.

It is easy for the manager to say that in the event of
Macca being injured during a match perhaps Shaun
might be the one to take over but the nearer we get
to the play-offs is that a chance the club can take
with the whole season and its future at stake ?

Surely for a handful of matches we should bring in
an experienced loanee who would train with the team
and get to know them well.

Weighed against the risk the cost would be justifiable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
chaos33
March 26, 2015, 10:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,964
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from SamTheMariner
No one is a push over, I apologise for sounding like a football manager but I that's how it is. However, I did see them on the Tele recently against Altrincham and they were poor, but their results have picked up recently and I expect a tough game. Agree that we have strengthened well, we've now got proper centre half cover, on Easter Monday, and three genuine wingers, Jolley is neither a winger or any good so that is also an improvement. Things just appear to be going that bit too well.

I agree with you that there are no easy games as such, but I'm surprised that you (or anyone else) would say that Jolley 'isn't any good'. Quite plainly he's a good player at this level. We just need to play him to best effect. He seems to have had a good game against Eastleigh, playing in his non-preferred position.
I think he'll be a big player for us in the run in.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Garth
March 26, 2015, 10:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,934
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from chaos33

I agree with you that there are no easy games as such, but I'm surprised that you (or anyone else) would say that Jolley 'isn't any good'. Quite plainly he's a good player at this level. We just need to play him to best effect. He seems to have had a good game against Eastleigh, playing in his non-preferred position.

Nah! sorry
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
chaos33
March 26, 2015, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Nah sorry what?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
northbankmariner
March 27, 2015, 7:50am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Like chaos33 I am very happy to have Jolley in the squad, the longer he is here the better, he has had to adapt to our system and style of play, he is a decent player and part of what is a very decent squad with strength in depth. Am surprised no one has commented any appreciation to the board for putting their hands in their pockets again to find the funding for the latest2 arrivals. No one can say they are  not supporting the manager. UTM

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Rodley Mariner
March 27, 2015, 11:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from chaos33

I thought he was poor against Eastleigh but as you say, he was being played out of position. I guess his problem is that he's fourth choice at the moment in his preferred position. Still a good player to have in the squad but not sure I can see him being the 'big player' that you do as I don't think he'll get the run of games he needs up front to rebuild his confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
RichMariner
March 27, 2015, 11:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,139
Gold Stars: 209
We do have goalkeeper cover, I believe - that young lad who signed back in September. Can't remember his name.

I have a feeling that if McKeown got injured, we'd only bring a more experienced keeper in on loan anyway. Hurst hasn't yet put his trust in anyone young. Bradley Wood, Andy Thanoj and Dayle Southwell were all released, and Humble, Walker and Winfarrah haven't been used at all, really (although I appreciate that now is not the right time to bring them in).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
BIGChris
March 27, 2015, 11:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from RichMariner
We do have goalkeeper cover, I believe - that young lad who signed back in September. Can't remember his name.

I have a feeling that if McKeown got injured, we'd only bring a more experienced keeper in on loan anyway. Hurst hasn't yet put his trust in anyone young. Bradley Wood, Andy Thanoj and Dayle Southwell were all released, and Humble, Walker and Winfarrah haven't been used at all, really (although I appreciate that now is not the right time to bring them in).

Dont think he can. Loan window shut last night at 5pm. We have another keeper on our books and young Nick Draper would have to play if McKeown got injured/suspended
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
RichMariner
March 27, 2015, 12:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,139
Gold Stars: 209
Cheers for clearing that up.

What's the emergency loan window all about? Is that something different?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
bax
March 27, 2015, 12:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
In theory we would be able to bring in a goalkeeper if we could argue Draper was also injured - remember the hoo-hah last season when Cambridge brought in a keeper after the deadline?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
mariner tommy
March 27, 2015, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from bax
In theory we would be able to bring in a goalkeeper if we could argue Draper was also injured - remember the hoo-hah last season when Cambridge brought in a keeper after the deadline?

Wasn't that because it was a cup game in which their keeper got injured, it went to a replay and Cambridge wanted to bring another keeper in for the replay, and their opponents said no.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
Abdul19
March 27, 2015, 1:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from bax

I can just see PH recreating that scene from Escape to Victory!

(they had to break their keeper's arm so that Stallone could play - the Nazis were very strict on emergency loan regulations)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
chaos33
March 27, 2015, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I thought he was poor against Eastleigh but as you say, he was being played out of position. I guess his problem is that he's fourth choice at the moment in his preferred position. Still a good player to have in the squad but not sure I can see him being the 'big player' that you do as I don't think he'll get the run of games he needs up front to rebuild his confidence.

Ok, maybe not big, but important, perhaps. All the players will be.They have to produce their best form now for us to go up, and I think he's genuinely got talent and poses a goal threat. I just think it's a bit dismissive and unkind to say Jolley 'isn't any good'. He clearly is and has proved it with Newport in a play off winning team. He's done ok for us so far I think. Agreed we need more from him but probably has to adapt to a system that maybe doesn't suit him to best effect.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
TownSNAFU5
March 27, 2015, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,892
Gold Stars: 42
Jolley was poor against Eastleigh and Dover. However, he is short of games and fitness.  He is still a class player at this level though.

I can see him being brought on for a cameo role in one game and making as significant contribution. He had one very good short on target at Eastleigh that showed what he is capable of. It is still less than a year ago since he starred against us for Newport.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
LH
March 27, 2015, 8:27pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,543
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Jolley was poor against Eastleigh and Dover. However, he is short of games and fitness.  He is still a class player at this level though.

I can see him being brought on for a cameo role in one game and making as significant contribution. He had one very good short on target at Eastleigh that showed what he is capable of. It is still less than a year ago since he starred against us for Newport.

It's nearly two years ago.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
chaos33
March 27, 2015, 8:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Yes, a good summary mate. I just think he could burst into life at any time and show everyone how good he is. There are half a dozen games left, and I can just see him grabbing 2 or 3 goals or more in the next couple of games that just gives him the confidence to assert himself and win us precious points.

I think we could see several of our players doing that. It's what we need really. You could say that Palmer is currently doing that, and we are reaping rewards. Two or three of our players could have a little purple patch and we could be very hard to oppose, especially if all or most of the players are solid generally. I think we are reaping the rewards of that. - most of our players being in good form, and I think we have three or four genuine match winners. I see Jolley as one of them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › SQUAD FOR THE RUN IN?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.