Rodley Mariner
May 5, 2015, 5:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Marinerz93

He'll never be a great boxer in my eyes, there is more clever workings going on behind the scenes and the Hatton fight was a prime example of that.  The American referee stopped Hatton from fighting and protected Mayweather.

The amount of running away and hugging Mayweather does and gets away with, makes him an unpopular champion.  He has more critics for his style of boxing than people blowing smoke up his rear end.

But what does he care, a multi mega millionaire with impressive records, in years to come only people in boxing will remember how he got those records to others he will be a superstar.

Would I rather watch a film about Sam Langford than Mayweather any day of the week.

He completely and utterly outclassed Hatton and we're not discussing how entertaining he is. If you want to suggest the referee had anything to do with that result then I think that seriously undermines your argument. His defence and the angles he creates are as good as anybody ever. He's not always great to watch but if he was that terrible he's done well to just win the highest grossing fight of all time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Rick12
May 5, 2015, 6:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

He completely and utterly outclassed Hatton and we're not discussing how entertaining he is. If you want to suggest the referee had anything to do with that result then I think that seriously undermines your argument. His defence and the angles he creates are as good as anybody ever. He's not always great to watch but if he was that terrible he's done well to just win the highest grossing fight of all time.
After the fight was presented with a cheque for 66 million pounds.Unbelievable amount for one nights work but I dont begrudge him it one bit.Earn it the hard way with good honest graft 100% respect

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Maringer
May 5, 2015, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,643
Gold Stars: 189
Mayweather = the Chelsea of the boxing world.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Marinerz93
May 6, 2015, 12:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

As I have said all along he is a clever boxer but he can not go toe to toe, he uses his reach to pick opponents off.  The ref in the Hatton fight stopped Hatton getting too close and working Mayweathers body, this wouldn't have happen in the UK, this allowed Mayweather to pick his shots at a superior reach.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 6, 2015, 10:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Hatton's Mum could have reffed it and Mayweather would still have won that fight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Marinerz93
May 6, 2015, 5:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Hatton's Mum could have reffed it and Mayweather would still have won that fight.

A boxer like Mayweather can't take body punches, that's why he fights defensively and at reach were he can pick his opponents off.  Mayweather may have gone on and won on points if someone other than an American Referee had control of the match but we will never know because Hatton's style was stopped.  If you can't see that Hatton was stopped from fighting then we are at polar opposites.

The last time I heard, Hatton is estranged from his mother over money or are you saying 'Money' Mayweather has bought his success?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 6, 2015, 6:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Mayweather can't take body punches yet is a four weight undefeated World Champion? Not sure where you've plucked that 'fact' from. If you think Hatton was anywhere near Mayweather then we are indeed at opposite ends of the argument.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Marinerz93
May 6, 2015, 9:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Mayweather can't take body punches yet is a four weight undefeated World Champion? Not sure where you've plucked that 'fact' from. If you think Hatton was anywhere near Mayweather then we are indeed at opposite ends of the argument.

You missed the point and the art of fighting, you like your boxers to hug and skip around the ring, Mayweather is the undisputed champion of the universe.  Why else would he be labelled a 'scared little man' by a former champion.  Mayweather has won half his fights on points, a clever boxer who has crafted his record but for me and many others he'll never be one of the top 10 greatest boxers.  If we were talking about most intelligent then he's No1, because he uses his reach to out score his opponent and not get hit.

He must be the most unpopular champion that has ever lived because of his boring style.

When I watch a world class match, I expect to see more boxing than mincing around the ring and hugging.  I'll leave you to fawn over his 48 wins and amazing 26 knock outs and glorify him however you and others like.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Rodley Mariner
May 6, 2015, 10:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

You missed the point and the art of fighting, you like your boxers to hug and skip around the ring, Mayweather is the undisputed champion of the universe.  Why else would he be labelled a 'scared little man' by a former champion.  Mayweather has won half his fights on points, a clever boxer who has crafted his record but for me and many others he'll never be one of the top 10 greatest boxers.  If we were talking about most intelligent then he's No1, because he uses his reach to out score his opponent and not get hit.

He must be the most unpopular champion that has ever lived because of his boring style.

When I watch a world class match, I expect to see more boxing than mincing around the ring and hugging.  I'll leave you to fawn over his 48 wins and amazing 26 knock outs and glorify him however you and others like.

What are you on about? Where have I glorified him? For one, I don't like him, I think he's a sharp object. I do think he has a justifiable claim as an all time great which is all I said in this thread. I don't think knockout percentages mean a lot. In fact it suggests a higher skill level to me for him to have a record so good without having knock out power. Using reach advantages and not getting hit are generally considered reasonably sensible tactics by the way. As for any suggestion he's scared? Utter nonsense.  Nearly as ridiculous as suggesting Hatton might have beaten him but for the ref.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
mariner91
May 7, 2015, 12:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Marinerz93

Now I'm no expert but fighting in a way that stops you getting hit probably makes you pretty damned good at boxing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pacquiao v Mayweather

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.