April 19, 2015, 10:49am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from pizzzza
That's nice.

Should really be in the ex-GTFC players thread though.

Agreed, which is why I put it there, do I get a green tick?!?   

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 101
Garth
April 19, 2015, 10:50am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from gobby
Nice to see Southwell has found his level.
UTMM

Has he though, seems to me that the next level up or one above is where he will be playing soon, I think Hurst is the type of manager that plays safe with the older more experienced players that fits his defensive style

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 101
BIGChris
April 19, 2015, 11:23am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Garth

Has he though, seems to me that the next level up or one above is where he will be playing soon, I think Hurst is the type of manager that plays safe with the older more experienced players that fits his defensive style

Not teenagers I accept but most of Hursts signings are early 20's with time to develop and improve. The likes of Mackreth, Clay, Toto etc.

For me this is a pleasant change from signing journey men looking for a last pay day
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 101
grimsby pete
April 19, 2015, 11:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from BIGChris

Not teenagers I accept but most of Hursts signings are early 20's with time to develop and improve. The likes of Mackreth, Clay, Toto etc.

For me this is a pleasant change from signing journey men looking for a last pay day

I agree with that but it would be nice to see some local talent in our squad,

In the past we have had the Moore'S Drinkell, Ford, Wilkinson, Oster, Lund to name just a few,

Plus we have had Wainman, Cumming, McDermott and Croft from a young age,

Apart from developing our own players they have given the club much needed cash when they have moved on,

There must be good talent out  there, we need to keep them and encourage them so they reach their potential.

Or am I just living in the past ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 101
bostonian
April 19, 2015, 11:48am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from moosey_club

yes, perhaps they have wingers who can cross a ball, pick a player out with a pull back or have centre mids who can slip a pass inside a defence.

Yes that is correct ,  Dayle scores few headers but  is brilliant with his footwork and shooting and appears to be getting better all the time .    

Unless he has changed the style of play PH made the correct decision releasing Dayle ,  a sixfoot- plus striker was always required for his game  plan .

Every one a winner ,  PH rid of a player who does not fit into his plans ,  Boston fans seeing entertaining football , Dayle if he maintains his progress will surely move up a step or two ,  and Dave Newton will recieve a few bob towards his new stadium .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 101
grimsby pete
April 19, 2015, 11:55am

Exile
Quoted from bostonian

Yes that is correct ,  Dayle scores few headers but  is brilliant with his footwork and shooting and appears to be getting better all the time .    

Unless he has changed the style of play PH made the correct decision releasing Dayle ,  a sixfoot- plus striker was always required for his game  plan .

Every one a winner ,  PH rid of a player who does not fit into his plans ,  Boston fans seeing entertaining football , Dayle if he maintains his progress will surely move up a step or two ,  and Dave Newton will recieve a few bob towards his new stadium .

Don't rub it in  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 101
biggles9999
April 19, 2015, 3:03pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from grimsby pete

I agree with that but it would be nice to see some local talent in our squad,

In the past we have had the Moore'S Drinkell, Ford, Wilkinson, Oster, Lund to name just a few,

Plus we have had Wainman, Cumming, McDermott and Croft from a young age,

Apart from developing our own players they have given the club much needed cash when they have moved on,

There must be good talent out  there, we need to keep them and encourage them so they reach their potential.

Or am I just living in the past ?

Pretty much yes you are living in the past.

It is very difficult for teams to keep their best local players these days especially at our level because of the ability of the big clubs to pick and choose who they want to sign and move into their huge sprawling youth systems.

You have named about 10/15 players in 50 years of history that have been developed by ourselves and proved good enough for either us long term or higher levels. That is always unlikely to be enough to build a contingent of local players, especially in the days of fans wanting quick fixes and short term contracts.

As Aldi said above, we have fans that moan if we don't score in the first 10 minutes, or think its the end of the world if we lose one game in 10. Can you imagine the fury if Hurst had gone into this season with a forward line of LJL, Pittman and Southwell?

The fury if he had persisted with Southwell but he proved not to be good enough for our level?

As BigChris also above, Hurst may not go for teenagers as such but he sees them everyday and he wants whats best for the club - his job depends on it. He has however signed an awful lot of players in their early 20's with the potential to develop. Church, Pearson, Mackreth, McKeown, Thomas, Toto, LJL, Artus, Cook amongst several others were all 23 or younger when they signed. Whilst that may not be an outright youth policy, it is certainly trusting younger players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 101
louth_in_the_south
April 19, 2015, 11:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
The problem town have in bringing through young players compared to 30 years ago isn't a problem that the manager or coaching staff at gtfc have caused , it's part of the bigger social problems in the area , and nation really .
There must be so many kids who have never had the chance to discover their natural talent for the sport thanks to lack of sporting facilities at schools , Xbox lifestyles , reality tv famous for having no talent , or increased drug and alcohol problems .
It doesn't help that youth team funding has been hammered thanks to being in the conference that means that hurst , love him or hate him , is under enormous financial pressure . Real life Football Manager if you like , so has to make tough decisions . How many on here would've really guessed DS would've scored 30 goals for Boston ? Not many I reckon .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 101
Southwark Mariner
April 19, 2015, 11:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
The most criminal thing about the premiership and TV deals is the complete lack of decent youth funding at all levels. If clubs at every level had access to decent funding for youth coaches and facilities, I doubt Greg Dyke would be messing about with B leagues. I don't have any idea how much it would cost, but one premiership club's annual funding of £80,000,000 at £80,000 per club below league 2 would go a long way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 101
grimsby pete
April 20, 2015, 10:24am

Exile
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The problem town have in bringing through young players compared to 30 years ago isn't a problem that the manager or coaching staff at gtfc have caused , it's part of the bigger social problems in the area , and nation really .
There must be so many kids who have never had the chance to discover their natural talent for the sport thanks to lack of sporting facilities at schools , Xbox lifestyles , reality tv famous for having no talent , or increased drug and alcohol problems .
It doesn't help that youth team funding has been hammered thanks to being in the conference that means that hurst , love him or hate him , is under enormous financial pressure . Real life Football Manager if you like , so has to make tough decisions . How many on here would've really guessed DS would've scored 30 goals for Boston ? Not many I reckon .

Good points but I said at the time we should have kept him,

Then loaned him out for a season,

Does anybody have an idea how much that would have cost the club, ?

I know its hard to make a judgment on younger players but Southwell did show enough ability and goal scoring prowess to  give him another year.

I am not knocking the club or Hurst but Boston will be laughing all the way to the bank if Southwell continues scoring next season.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dayle Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.