Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chester City get on the Crowdfunder bandwagon
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 65 Guests

Chester City get on the Crowdfunder bandwagon

This thread currently has 6,681 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 31, 2015, 9:16pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200
Chester City have noticed the success we have had with the ( Operation Promotion ) Crowdfunder and joined the bandwagon, who next !
Apparently our Crowdfunder was last year.

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport/football/chester-fc-launch-crowd-funding-9765638?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
pontoonlew
July 31, 2015, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,077
Gold Stars: 178
I mean fair play to them but;

It's not a novel original idea anymore and I guarantee no side will get near to what we achieved from it and how superbly it was orchestrated.

Good luck to them though, the rich clubs in the PL should be embarrassed that supporters of lower league sides have to try fund budgets themselves as their sides struggle to stay afloat each year whilst they urine millions away on foreign imports.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
promotion plaice
July 31, 2015, 10:16pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from pontoonlew
I mean fair play to them but;

It's not a novel original idea anymore and I guarantee no side will get near to what we achieved from it and how superbly it was orchestrated.

Good luck to them though, the rich clubs in the PL should be embarrassed that supporters of lower league sides have to try fund budgets themselves as their sides struggle to stay afloat each year whilst they urine millions away on foreign imports.

I don't agree with the good luck to them, as they are our rivals in our league, but i agree with the Premier League statement wholehearted.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Rik e B
August 1, 2015, 12:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I can see this really catching on and becoming almost the norm down here in the doldrums. As forerunners we have stolen a march on our rivals but need to make it count as the playing field may level out a bit as a result.

Of course most teams down here don't have as many fanatical fans as us to raise quite as much but anything they do takes the edge off our advantage.

But our squad is built and ready with the fans ready to back. Now let's just do this!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
moosey_club
August 1, 2015, 12:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,274
Gold Stars: 226
For something that started out as a tongue in cheek comment by one poster, picked up by another poster and then officially adopted its done pretty well.
I dont begrudge anyone else taking the same route, its not about a financial advantage to me, what is more important is the siege mentality that has been created  as part of the effort.....roll on Kiddy

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
LH
August 1, 2015, 12:56am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,544
Gold Stars: 173
Trendsetters. Every football fan in the country wishes they were from NE Lincs.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Abdul19
August 1, 2015, 1:01am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
The original was properly organised and superbly run at the right time. The imitations will be quickly cobbled together and will raise naff all.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
Mrs Doyle
August 1, 2015, 6:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
It was a complete master stroke by THE MARINERS TRUST to set up operation promotion the timing was all important. The trust tapped into the feeling that we all felt players especially, We did not deserve to lose at Wembley. Our magnificent fans they were up for it, the team were up for it. We were in most peoples eyes robbed by a referee that admitted he bottled it, an injustice had been done.

Not just that though, we became stronger as the season went on, a couple of very shrewd signings by Hurst produced the goods and for the first time since been down here and before that, I and many others saw what a good team Hurst had built. TEAM being the key word he has got those players heads right and got rid of the doubters and laziness.

Good luck to who ever copies us but they may not have this type of success but WE ARE THE PIONEERS OTHERS WILL ONLY FOLLOW,

Two other important points not to be under estimated, this as has brought the club and fans closer together like no other and made the fans feel wanted again not isolated.

The Trust as shown GTFC what PR is all about bringing them on board as already proved it's worth.  Secondly the positive global publicity as been great all this good publicity as ultimately  brought more season tickets in and no doubt the club shop as seen a rise in sales ultimately much more money.

No wonder John Fenty is buzzing like the rest of us, must be the best and easiest (financially) close season he as ever had.

The final and most important thing now is can we achieve our gold and complete this dream? I really do hope so it would be one hell of a story to tell in later years.  

UTM..............NOW IS OUR TIME, THIS TOWN KNOWS.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
grimsby pete
August 1, 2015, 10:15am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Michael Owen is bound to put a few thousand in,

BUT

Can not see any non league team getting near our total,

We have the best fans in the country.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
GrimRob
August 1, 2015, 10:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
If it becomes the norm then so be it. There are 120+ football professional clubs in this country (including Scotland). The way most of them have been run is not sustainable, and I think everyone would prefer to see clubs run and financed at least partly by supporters rather than just rich individuals. There are limited opportunties for normal fans to give money beyond watching games and buying the standard merchandise, so it makes sense to have additional ways to contribute for those who can afford it. Some of the most fanastic things online have been achieved by colloboration like Wikpedia and some Open Source projects. Together online we can achieve huge things unimaginable as even small groups.

If it become the norm I am proud that the revolution started at GTFC and the Fishy played a part in it, as well as the magnificent efforts of the trust of course.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 20
RichMariner
August 1, 2015, 11:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
One of the best things about Operation Promotion is the way that John Fenty has stayed out of it.

He's taken a back seat, refrained from publishing one of his statements and let the campaign run its course naturally, as it should. The fans came up with it; the fans ran it; the fans have made it a success.

And they rightly take the glory, without any distractions.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
pizzzza
August 2, 2015, 8:14am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
With more teams jumping on I bet the guys at crowdfunder are laughing all the way to the bank!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
aldi_01
August 2, 2015, 9:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As great as it is I also think it shows the sorry state of the game, especially when you think how many times some teams have flouted the rules regarding Financial Fair Play and have been in and out of administration.

Don't forget as well, next season teams like Crystal Palace and potentially teams like Bournemouth will have bigger budgets than almost all of Serie A, the Bundesliga and La Liga...quite frightening really, and here are clubs/fans setting up crowd funding for transfer kitties...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Helgy
August 2, 2015, 10:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from pizzzza
With more teams jumping on I bet the guys at crowdfunder are laughing all the way to the bank!

I bet they are fees are not good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
GrimRob
August 2, 2015, 1:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pizzzza

Why not set up a generic club funder site? Should be able to make money with half the crowd funder fees I would have thought and the site can be geared to sport. Anyone feeling entrepreneurial?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 20
Helgy
August 2, 2015, 3:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Why not set up a generic club funder site? Should be able to make money with half the crowd funder fees I would have thought and the site can be geared to sport. Anyone feeling entrepreneurial?

What was it they took from yourselves 6% £6000?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
ginnywings
August 2, 2015, 4:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Helgy

What was it they took from yourselves 6% £6000?

It was 6% yes but not all the money raised was through the Crowdfunder site. About £30,000 was outside Crowdfunder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
jock dock tower
August 2, 2015, 4:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I've mentioned it on here before, but my Scottish club Auchinleck Talbot, have been doing something similar for about 8 or 9 years now.

Fans pledge £10 per month over 10 months of the year, so each gives £100 per annum. All the players and management do the same, as do a good number of the committee. We've raised over £130,000 since we started, which given our avergae home gate is around the 400-450 mark is a huge amonut of money for our grade. Other clubs up here have tried to do something similar, but none have matched the level of success we've had.

On a similar note, we play in the Scottish Junior Cup every year, and the Scottish Cup on a fairly regular basis dependent on our being successful. Four years ago we played away at Lossiemouth in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup, and two coaches heaaded north of Aberdeen on the Friday night for the game the next day. We ere booked into a hotel by one of the Supporters Clubs, and the weekend cost about £100 per person, which also included an element of £20 per head to go directly back to the club so that it cost nothing to transport the club up there for the game, and the overnight hotel costs. This is a fairly regular occurence and goes to show the bond between club and fans.

We play at Hermes in Aberdeen on September 5th in this year's Scottish Cup and I assume something similar will be happening this time around as well.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Wrawby_Mariner
August 2, 2015, 7:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from GrimRob

Trifosy has already contacted us.. They are a company set up to do exactly that. And they are far more hands on than crowdfunder were.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 18 - 20
UTFM
August 3, 2015, 6:42am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +23
I'd say that Darlo have used Crowdfunder-type organisations with some great success over the past few years. Granted their circumstances are different (and something I hope we never experience at GTFC), but I'd say they've been out well out ahead of us on this.

"It is about Mike Parker taking over the club with an equally rich Icelandic business partner called Skarphedin Berg Steinarsson." (Career Underdogs)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
Helgy
August 3, 2015, 9:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

It was 6% yes but not all the money raised was through the Crowdfunder site. About £30,000 was outside Crowdfunder.

Same here not all the monies came through the crowd funder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chester City get on the Crowdfunder bandwagon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.