barralad
August 30, 2015, 9:13am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I wish I could be as stoical as you Barra. Seems our successometers are calibrated differently. For me it's been failure every year with some enjoyable spots along the way - more of the enjoyment comes from things off the pitch than on it.

But given your philosophical nature, how can you not accept that some people are rather annoyed at the way things have panned out/are panning out? It seems odd you seem to get so wound up at other people getting annoyed with the performances (overall over the past X year, not specifically today) and or express the view that the manager isn't good enough? Even if they're wrong, it seems perfectly reasonable for people to question things. it's not such a ludicrous position to hold.

I think by definition all of us on here (almost all of us) would watch Town whatever level they're at.

Apart from the drama queens who regularly decide that they are never going to set foot inside B.P. again!
I normally limit myself to a couple of posts post-match but regrettably found myself well wound up by the attitude of people who weren't even there criticising team/manager. For the record I thought the 10 men who got us out of the mess created by Gowling, ably assisted by a manager who showed tactical nous were absolutely fantastic. The atmosphere Wembley aside was the best I've been in since probably the Tottenham game in 2005. My philosophical nature (although I'm no Epicurus or Jeremy Bentham) only supports me to the level that it allows me to accept that occasionally things happen in football that step outside of the norm. Had Town not done as well as they undoubtably did with ten men and had gone on to lose the game I'd not have reacted as much on here. If people's expectations are such that they consider a point won in such circumstances (against a team that actually have started as well as us with a more difficult group of fixtures) to be two points lost in the great scheme of things then I genuinely believe they should consider another hobby for the sake of their collective health. I'm a positive sort of person and sometimes even I think I'm a bit too happy clappy but to read on here that Operation Promotion has become an embarrassment because we aren't in the same position as FGR, Wrexham etc. FFS!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 192
Theimperialcoroner
August 30, 2015, 9:23am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,254
Gold Stars: 102
Ginny I think this season could be different. There is better football being played, we are scoring goals and creating loads of chances. However, the key phrase is it could be different. Time will tell, and of course we all want the one thing in promotion. However, we do not have the biggest budget in the league and that means we have to rely on things other than that to achieve it. We have to fight tooth and nail to get there, and from what I've seen so far this season the players and the manager are trying to do this. Hurst will make the odd bad decision, keepers will intercourse up, defenders will throttle pub league strikers. It shouldn't happen, but it will. I'd rather get these out of our system early and then push on. I'll keep supporting my team as mush as I can, I don't think it's wildly optimistic to do that, in fact, I think we should all do it a bit more, cos you never know what might happen if you give things a chance.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 192
chaos33
August 30, 2015, 10:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,973
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from barralad

Apart from the drama queens who regularly decide that they are never going to set foot inside B.P. again!
I normally limit myself to a couple of posts post-match but regrettably found myself well wound up by the attitude of people who weren't even there criticising team/manager. For the record I thought the 10 men who got us out of the mess created by Gowling, ably assisted by a manager who showed tactical nous were absolutely fantastic. The atmosphere Wembley aside was the best I've been in since probably the Tottenham game in 2005. My philosophical nature (although I'm no Epicurus or Jeremy Bentham) only supports me to the level that it allows me to accept that occasionally things happen in football that step outside of the norm. Had Town not done as well as they undoubtably did with ten men and had gone on to lose the game I'd not have reacted as much on here. If people's expectations are such that they consider a point won in such circumstances (against a team that actually have started as well as us with a more difficult group of fixtures) to be two points lost in the great scheme of things then I genuinely believe they should consider another hobby for the sake of their collective health. I'm a positive sort of person and sometimes even I think I'm a bit too happy clappy but to read on here that Operation Promotion has become an embarrassment because we aren't in the same position as FGR, Wrexham etc. FFS!

Barra, I respect you and often find I agree with you, but this is an incredibly dismissive, almost elitist post. 'Drama queens'? And once again, this notion running through yours (and others' posts) that if you don't attend a match you have no right to a view on it (particularly if it contains critical or disappointed content). This is the real 'negativity' on this board in my view, and it makes me want to stop contributing. I personally have not criticised the manager or players per se (although I'm sure we can all agree that Gowling was foolish). I personally don't think that operation promotion has become 'an embarrassment'. Why so defensive and dismissive of other people's views?

I have followed Town for more than 30 years and have studied, played and coached the game. My view is as valid as anyone else's and there are aspects of our current situation that, believe it or not, need discussion and scrutiny. In my opinion, people who cannot tolerate others challenging their views, or expressing a position that implies some critical analysis are obstructing our evolution. It cannot be denied that our results and league position thus far this term are following a familiar pattern since we fell to this level, and that the gap to the impressive leaders is, at best, unfortunate.
For the record, I think yesterday's result and performance ought to earn the manager and players plenty of praise. I do try to remain balanced in all my posts, but obviously that isn't coming across.

I think the board is a better place if people can allow some respectful and friendly debate about our team without having to resort to calling people 'drama queens' or excluding or disparaging their views because they didn't/couldn't attend a particular game.

UTM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 192
Helgy
August 30, 2015, 10:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from barralad

A good post & you could apply that to some of our fans attitude also we have had a difficult start but lost only the once to Forest green.
2nd half we lost the game instead of pressing home our advantage, your midfield won every 2nd ball, every header and bossed the midfield.
While our players ball watched to a degree.
A season is not just one game but 46 every point gained is a point towards the end result.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 192
FishGY
August 30, 2015, 10:47am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +65
Gold Stars: 1
How can PH be blamed for the draw? With 11 men we'd have won that easily, our performance was good enough. Is it Hurst's fault Gowling got sent off?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 192
ginnywings
August 30, 2015, 11:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Ginny I think this season could be different. There is better football being played, we are scoring goals and creating loads of chances. However, the key phrase is it could be different. Time will tell, and of course we all want the one thing in promotion. However, we do not have the biggest budget in the league and that means we have to rely on things other than that to achieve it. We have to fight tooth and nail to get there, and from what I've seen so far this season the players and the manager are trying to do this. Hurst will make the odd bad decision, keepers will intercourse up, defenders will throttle pub league strikers. It shouldn't happen, but it will. I'd rather get these out of our system early and then push on. I'll keep supporting my team as mush as I can, I don't think it's wildly optimistic to do that, in fact, I think we should all do it a bit more, cos you never know what might happen if you give things a chance.

I do support my team and i'll be there at BP tomorrow. I also agree that it is different this season and i have been thoroughly entertained in all 3 home fixtures to date.

You also make a good point about us not having the biggest budget and i alluded to that after last weeks game. Like it or not, FGR and Eastleigh are paying wages way beyond what we can afford, despite us having far bigger attendances. If either of those sides are managed competently, then we will have to fight tooth and nail (as you say) to better them and this is where the manger comes in. Football history is littered with success stories of teams that win leagues beyond their expectations and managers that achieve way more than they have a right to. I don't feel Hurst is such a manager despite being very competent. He just doesn't have the chutzpah to take us to the next level IMO.

This is where some confusion appears among SOME posters regarding my views. I'm not panicking, i'm not moaning, i'm not being negative and i'm not naive enough to think that finding and appointing a league winning manager is easy, so i'm just going to enjoy the ride and hope that we somehow get out of this league.

I still feel that last season was our best chance and that was scuppered by a poor start and too much fannying about getting a striker on board. FGR and Eastleigh have had another season to get their acts together and now look stronger than last year. Wrexham also seem to have improved by bringing in the manager i think we should have gone for. It's going to be tougher this season but if we can get that defence as lean and mean as last season, we now have the goals in us to make a difference.

As ever, i live in hope.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 192
chaos33
August 30, 2015, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,973
Gold Stars: 361
My thoughts too.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 192
friskneymariner
August 30, 2015, 12:34pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
After supporting Town for over fifty years ,I would still support them if they were in the Lindsey Marsh League.This board is one  of the best boards going of any club.People posting on here should welcome a divergence of opinions (within reason) and welcome and encourage people to state individual opinions after all the the clue is in the phrase discussion.

It would be a very boring board if posters felt only able to post that agreed with the prevailing views.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 192
grimsby pete
August 30, 2015, 12:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from HighamMariner

Really?  You actually belive that?  Jeez.  Forest Green are 9 (nine) points ahead of us, the mighty Eastleigh and Woking are above us.  If you can be satisfied with that then I guess your expectation level is a bloody mile away from mine.  Same sh1t different season.

Nobody is saying they are satisfied with the results so far,

BUT

Promotion is won after 46 games NOT  6.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 192
grimsby pete
August 30, 2015, 12:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from KingstonMariner

But in August wouldn't you rather have maximum points in the bag?

Isn't that a better indicator of ultimate success in April than having 50%?

No how many points we have in August means nothing,

Its how many points we have at the end of the season that counts,

I would like us to win every game but we all know that's not possible.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 192
20 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.