barralad
August 29, 2015, 10:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from chaos33
What is your problem? Why don't you accept that others have a different view and practice what you preach.
It's repeated all over the board in various threads. I'm just getting involved in the discussion and challenging the idea that it was brave tactical genius. I think it was a no brainer.

No problem you keep flying your lone flag mate...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
ginnywings
August 30, 2015, 12:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rik e B
It's generally mandatory to haul a striker off and go with one up top, it was a fantastic move in my opinion. To even up the Hurst love in though, I would say decision made easy as Robinson being carried. So it a good decision in a way to sacrifice him instead but in my opinion Robinson should be nowhere near our team as way off the pace. I'm sure he could be good when fully up to speed but we don't really have the luxury right now. Craig Clay has been fantastic whenever I've seen him.... was he he really that bad at Altrincham to warrant being dropped?

And yet we were comfortably better than them until the penalty, when i presume Robinson was on the pitch?

He seems to be getting a lot of flak for someone who has played 2 hours of football for us and his first competitive minutes for a good while. He played regularly in a promotion winning side, so he must have something going for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
barralad
August 30, 2015, 8:39am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings

And yet we were comfortably better than them until the penalty, when i presume Robinson was on the pitch?

He seems to be getting a lot of flak for someone who has played 2 hours of football for us and his first competitive minutes for a good while. He played regularly in a promotion winning side, so he must have something going for him.

Even at this early stage you can see he wants to actually play football. He has a good eye for a pass. He is developing a bit of a scapegoat status-replacing a team favourite. In my memory he made one error where he gifted the ball to Lincoln allowing them to set up a dangerous attack and there were cries to get him off the pitch-it was about 10 minutes in! I don't necessarily agree that Hurst is wrong to play him (although I expected Clay to be in the side yesterday) but any flak for the decision to do so has to lay with the manager. What's the lad supposed to say? Are you sure you want to play me boss?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
paulgtfc
August 30, 2015, 9:44am
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Robinson sums up the problem with loanees, ie often not match sharp.  I don't understand the concept of giving contracts to youngsters like Venney n Clifton, putting them on the bench n then refusing to use them (eg Alty away).  This, after Hurst openly stated they weren't much behind the established MF at pre season.  Unless he is carrying an injury, seems harsh on Clay to leave him out last week n this.

This is no slight on Robinson, just a principle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
rancido
August 30, 2015, 11:17am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
There seems to be conflicting opinions on PHs decision to keep playing 2 strikers after we went down to 10 men. Some say it was a " masterstroke " while others claim he had no option if he wanted to get something out of the game. The majority of manages faced with this decision would have kept a lone striker on but still kept 4 in midfield and 4 across the back. The thinking behind this is to ensure you don't concede any more goals but have the ability to push an attack through mid-field and also hope to get a goal from set pieces. It certainly is a brave decision to still play with 2 strikers as it almost encourages the opposition to overrun your mid-field and dictate the game. Another goal conceded at that stage makes it almost impossible to get anything out of the game. I wouldn't call PHs decision a "masterstroke" but it was certainly brave. Maybe he felt that Lincolns style of play was worth the gamble of his approach.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
chaos33
August 30, 2015, 11:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Yeah well argued mate, good points. It was certainly a good decision by PH whatever you want to call it. I did call it a 'no brainer' earlier, but, on reflection, that wasn't quite right. Probably as extreme as calling it a masterstroke.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
grimsby pete
August 30, 2015, 12:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from ginnywings

I don't think it is so much posters not taking to Robinson,

Its more like they are unhappy Clay has been dropped to make way for him.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Cod Cheeks
August 30, 2015, 1:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
A very fair appraisal by Paul and I agree it was a moral victory
But moral victories won't win us the title and fact is we've dropped another 2 points and 9 off top spot
I know it is early days and other teams will dip at some point nevertheless we have to start a run of back to back wins and soon.....starting with tomorrow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Post match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.