Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,832
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Meza
Whats wrong with 4-3-1-2 we get both Bogle and Amond up top and Arnold as no.10

Whats wrong with   2 -  3 -  5  ?

It worked in the old days before Alf Ramsey changed it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
mariner91
September 4, 2015, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,740
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Meza
Whats wrong with 4-3-1-2 we get both Bogle and Amond up top and Arnold as no.10

Clay, Monkhouse and Dizza aren't the most mobile of midfield threes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
grimsby pete
September 4, 2015, 10:10am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,832
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from mariner91

Clay, Monkhouse and Dizza aren't the most mobile of midfield threes.

I still think East could play midfield.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
mariner91
September 4, 2015, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I still think East could play midfield.

I think you're right but we'd need him playing at left back if we played 4-3-1-2 as Gregor wouldn't be able to get forward quickly enough or often enough to offer any width.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
friskneymariner
September 4, 2015, 10:39am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
To quote the great man in full.

'Players lose you games,not tactics.Theres so much crap talked about tactics, by people who barely know how to win a game of dominoes .' Discuss.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
diehardmariner
September 4, 2015, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Personally I think whatever formation we play, it has to have Nathan Arnold in a central role.  As good as he is out on the wing, he's wasted there.  

Even against Lincoln when he was asked to do a more defensive role than you would expect of him, he was unplayable at times through the middle.  

I'm not really a bit advocate of changing formations for the sake of changing formations but I'm not convinced 4-4-2 is the best formation for us.  Which sounds daft when you look at the number of wingers we've got but two of those (Monkhouse and Arnold) aren't wingers for me and another (Mackreth) doesn't offer enough in that role.  

How you fit that into a formation, god knows.   Our attacking prowess needs to be our focus for me so just lob all the attackers in the team and let them work it out themselves.  
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
diehardmariner
September 4, 2015, 10:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from friskneymariner
To quote the great man in full.

'Players lose you games,not tactics.Theres so much crap talked about tactics, by people who barely know how to win a game of dominoes .' Discuss.

Nah.  Maybe then, not now.  

The success of Jose Mourinho proves the value of tactics.   Even Chelsea without Mourinho when they won the Champs League, shouldn't have even got to the semi's but tactically they were better than the other teams.  Element of lady luck too, of course.

How many times have we seen 'lesser' teams come to Blundell Park and grab a draw/win because tactically they were better than us?

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
mariner91
September 4, 2015, 10:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Nah.  Maybe then, not now.  

The success of Jose Mourinho proves the value of tactics.   Even Chelsea without Mourinho when they won the Champs League, shouldn't have even got to the semi's but tactically they were better than the other teams.  Element of lady luck too, of course.

How many times have we seen 'lesser' teams come to Blundell Park and grab a draw/win because tactically they were better than us?

I was just about to put almost exactly this. Tactics are very important in the modern game. Look at Real Madrid during the Galacticos period. On paper, probably the best team that's ever existed but in reality not all that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
friskneymariner
September 4, 2015, 11:05am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from mariner91

I was just about to put almost exactly this. Tactics are very important in the modern game. Look at Real Madrid during the Galacticos period. On paper, probably the best team that's ever existed but in reality not all that.

Sorry can't resist another of his quotes, ' football is a game played on grass not paper'

Another gem 'on his day is in the best player in the league,unfortunately that day is never a Saturday.'

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
mariner91
September 4, 2015, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

Sorry can't resist another of his quotes, ' football is a game played on grass not paper'

Another gem 'on his day is in the best player in the league,unfortunately that day is never a Saturday.'

Which actually goes to show that the quote about players losing games is wrong. If it was just down to the players then generally the team with the better players would win but this isn't the case. I know there are other factors involved but tactics are very important.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4-2-3-1 formation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.