4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 3, 2015, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
I'll admit I wasn't there today before anyone gets judgemental but any manager that can pick Mackreth ahead of Arnold and leave both leading scorers on the bench wants his bumps felt.
Private Message
Perkins
October 3, 2015, 6:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
I WAS there and I totally agree with you

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
sonofmadeleymariner
October 3, 2015, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
I can understand why Arnold probably hasn't trained in a while so didn't out him in.

He kept the winning side and people would of moaned if he changed it he couldn't win in this case.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Calamarikid
October 3, 2015, 6:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -395
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I'll admit I wasn't there today before anyone gets judgemental but any manager that can pick Mackreth ahead of Arnold and leave both leading scorers on the bench wants his bumps felt.

you are very rarely there but you continue to spout your usual shite...intercourse off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 3, 2015, 6:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I can understand why Arnold probably hasn't trained in a while so didn't out him in.

He kept the winning side and people would of moaned if he changed it he couldn't win in this case.

I doubt very very much if people would have moaned a lot if he had picked Bogle and Amond regardless of last week.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
Mighty_Mariner
October 3, 2015, 6:37pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Perhaps because the team he picked won 4-0 away the previous week!

As they say you never change a winning side!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
MuddyWaters
October 3, 2015, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Calamarikid

you are very rarely there but you continue to spout your usual shite...intercourse off

See you Tuesday!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
ackomariner
October 3, 2015, 7:06pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Calamarikid

Nice bloke you are

And a negative rep from me for your abusive language.... No need for it and sick of reading it on here lately

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
jonnyboy82
October 3, 2015, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
In all honesty has anyone ever seen mackreth beat his man ?

Came here with a decent reputation but never ever really delivered for me.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
ackomariner
October 3, 2015, 7:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I always find jack to busy thinking about his defensive duty's first before thinking about beating his man

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
PPMariner
October 3, 2015, 7:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Fairly sure they should also say, "Don't drop two of the best strikers we've had in a decade, repeatedly, regardless of results, performances or either the amount of goals we've scored as a team, or they have individually".

We were poor at Southport. I was there. We created very little; it was just they were utterly atrocious the moment we scored our first (a long range ping with our first foray forward) and we scored with first four shots. It was weird, it was a non-game.

Feel free to change a winning side after a disjointed performance/match against abysmal opposition. Especially when it was perhaps so poor because our four most dangerous players were missing (one through legitimate reasons).

I should be baffled by it all, but I'm not.

UTM

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
barralad
October 3, 2015, 7:23pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from PPMariner

Fairly sure they should also say, "Don't drop two of the best strikers we've had in a decade, repeatedly, regardless of results, performances or either the amount of goals we've scored as a team, or they have individually".

We were poor at Southport. I was there. We created very little; it was just they were utterly atrocious the moment we scored our first (a long range ping with our first foray forward) and we scored with first four shots. It was weird, it was a non-game.

Feel free to change a winning side after a disjointed performance/match against abysmal opposition. Especially when it was perhaps so poor because our four most dangerous players were missing (one through legitimate reasons).

I should be baffled by it all, but I'm not.

UTM

The Fishy at it's absolute best. Only on here could a 4-0 away win be described as "poor"  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
PPMariner
October 3, 2015, 7:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from barralad

The Fishy at it's absolute best. Only on here could a 4-0 away win be described as "poor"  

"We were poor at Southport. I was there. We created very little; it was just they were utterly atrocious the moment we scored our first (a long range ping with our first foray forward) and we scored with first four shots."

We created very little - seven shots, away at relegation placed rival.

They were utterly atrocious - hard to provably qualify with bare facts but anyone there (including Southport) would agree.

We scored... ...with our first foray forward - after a third of the first half had elapsed.

We scored with first four shots - true.

*We* is the key word; for those troubled by comprehension. *We* were poor at Southport.

Barralad - this is not the same as, and never will be, "a 4-0 win away from home is a poor result".

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
barralad
October 3, 2015, 7:48pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from PPMariner

"We were poor at Southport. I was there. We created very little; it was just they were utterly atrocious the moment we scored our first (a long range ping with our first foray forward) and we scored with first four shots."

We created very little - seven shots, away at relegation placed rival.

They were utterly atrocious - hard to provably qualify with bare facts but anyone there (including Southport) would agree.

We scored... ...with our first foray forward - after a third of the first half had elapsed.

We scored with first four shots - true.

*We* is the key word; for those troubled by comprehension. *We* were poor at Southport.

Barralad - this is not the same as, and never will be, "a 4-0 win away from home is a poor result".

So *we* gave a "poor" performance and still managed to win 4-0? There wasn't the same urgency in the second half as there was in the first because the game was won. Hurst may have torn them a collective new one for not keeping up the pressure and getting double figures but I suspect that it is human nature to take your foot off the gas in such a one-sided game.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Tommy
October 3, 2015, 8:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I think there are two factors to this.

1) Confidence. I think the main issue is he lacks a bit of self confidence. Doesn't believe he can do it. Even when he does beat his man on the outside and throw in a cross, it can be another hour sometimes before he tries it again.

2) Maybe he's not quite as quick as people think he is. Maybe muscle injuries have taken a toll on him and slowed him down a bit from when he was at Barrow earning himself a reputation.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
chaos33
October 3, 2015, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,974
Gold Stars: 360
Fair points. He's much too 'in and out' for me and he doesn't create or score enough goals, even though he can look dangerous. I don't think he's improving or showing signs of becoming a better player, and he should be. I think that's key. Offensively at least. He works hard and does a good job defensively.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
HertsGTFC
October 3, 2015, 8:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

It's never stopped him before! In my mind you pick your strongest team/best players when you play the league leaders.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2015, 9:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

See you Tuesday!

It's "see you next Tuesday".

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2015, 9:46pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

So *we* gave a "poor" performance and still managed to win 4-0? There wasn't the same urgency in the second half as there was in the first because the game was won. Hurst may have torn them a collective new one for not keeping up the pressure and getting double figures but I suspect that it is human nature to take your foot off the gas in such a one-sided game.

Pretty poor I'd say. Southport were absolute shite. So yeah, I'd say he was right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
Mrs Doyle
October 3, 2015, 9:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It's "see you next Tuesday".

lol very good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
barralad
October 3, 2015, 10:31pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Pretty poor I'd say. Southport were absolute shite. So yeah, I'd say he was right.

Does the phrase "Damn my luck the first time I can make a comment and we play alright" ring any bells? It should do because its what you wrote a week ago in the Southport "Just Back Thread"

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2015, 12:49am
Meths Drinker
You got me banged to rights there Barra.

Alright. Yeah. We were alright. No more. Not enough to warrant the "mustn't change a winning team" argument.

I blame my inconsistency on it being  long season, with lots of games coming thick and fast, and I have to change my mind to suit the opposition.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
chaos33
October 4, 2015, 7:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
The 'mustn't change a winning team' notion is flawed though isn't it. It's a bit of a red herring.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
MarinerGaz
October 4, 2015, 7:48am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Marshall looked threatening when he came on (as he did at Southport), would hope he gets a start now. Don't know why Pittman was taken off when Tomlinson didn't look like he'd seen a ball before. The subs were made too late, missed a big chance to close the gap this week, now we're losing touch. We're still in a position to take this league but can't have faith with performances like that, no confidence for long spells!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
grimps
October 4, 2015, 8:25am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from chaos33
The 'mustn't change a winning team' notion is flawed though isn't it. It's a bit of a red herring.

We should play our strongest team every game , I dont believe we have been doing for the last four seasons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2015, 8:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps

We should play our strongest team every game , I dont believe we have been doing for the last four seasons

Agree with the sentiment - my problem with it is that PH doesn't know what it is. Whether or not Bogle is a work in progress, Amond is the best finisher we've had here in years and (if fit) should start every game. Mackreth is not half the player that either Marshall or Arnold are - therefore to leave all 4 out against the team you could really do with beating is questionable.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
barralad
October 4, 2015, 9:00am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from chaos33

Of course it is flawed. Any decent manager will pick a side he thinks will beat the opponents in front of his team. There is loads of evidence on here though that people think he tinkers too much with the formation. Doesnt really apply to you but double standards abound. For the record Id have liked very much to have seen Amond or Bogle partner JPP. I havent read any compelling evidence as to why JPP shouldve made way and for me his performance justified his selection.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
Garth
October 4, 2015, 9:26am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
The only thing that justifies his selection IMO is that Hurst likes hustle and bustle players in the Shop mode, if they happen to score that's a bonus.
To leave your leading scorers on the bench at home is defensive tactics IMO and we should be more adventurous, a word foreign to him I'm afraid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
barralad
October 4, 2015, 9:35am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Garth
The only thing that justifies his selection IMO is that Hurst likes hustle and bustle players in the Shop mode, if they happen to score that's a bonus.
To leave your leading scorers on the bench at home is defensive tactics IMO and we should be more adventurous, a word foreign to him I'm afraid

I'm not sure if that is aimed at my post but if it is and you are talking about JPP then I honestly cannot see that the two players are in any way shape or form similar. Pittman has skill and touch in abundance.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
chaos33
October 4, 2015, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Of course it is flawed. Any decent manager will pick a side he thinks will beat the opponents in front of his team. There is loads of evidence on here though that people think he tinkers too much with the formation. Doesnt really apply to you but double standards abound. For the record Id have liked very much to have seen Amond or Bogle partner JPP. I havent read any compelling evidence as to why JPP shouldve made way and for me his performance justified his selection.

Yes, agreed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
October 4, 2015, 10:05am
Guest User
Quoted from jonnyboy82

In the second half he could have beaten his nan and would have been on for goal. He can't beat his man and has little pace, a winger should be able to stretch the full back and put in dangerous balls.
Reply: 30 - 38
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2015, 11:03am
Meths Drinker
Jack is one of those hard working players with whom we normally look more solid and ship less goals. When he gets going and pressies forward he can be a real nuisance to defenders. Like someone else said, if he runs with the ball in the box more we'll gets loads of penalties.

On the negative side, he looks like he's got a chip implanted in his head which gives him and electric shock sometimes or he's on an invisible piece of string that stops him going forward too far.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2015, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I'm not sure if that is aimed at my post but if it is and you are talking about JPP then I honestly cannot see that the two players are in any way shape or form similar. Pittman has skill and touch in abundance.

You may be shocked by this - I totally agree! LJL had little skill, JPP has plenty. What LJL had was heart and a considerable work ethic which is possibly what JPP and Bogle are a little short of. Neither are an LJL type target man and we need to stop the hoofball.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Mrs Doyle
October 4, 2015, 11:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Jack is a real confidence player will always remember that goal when he cut in a scored that screamer if only he had the confidence to do that more. Sometimes he beats his man only to pass it back he as the skill to get past players but lacks confidence to run into the box directly for goal.He is not blessed with blistering pace Marshall is quicker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
Fan
October 4, 2015, 11:31am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -271
Don't understand why many of you lot constantly pick on Mackreth, I was sat behind a scout yesterday and reading his notes over his shoulder Jack and clay were getting plenty of attention. Jack always puts in a good shift for me, he was one of the better players yesterday, most of the threat coming down the right, also the reference to speed and beating his man, suggest that's got a lot to do with where and when he gets the ball, put it in behind the defender and he would beat the full back all the time, looks like he is conditioned to keep the ball, so the cut back to the right back may not be kind on the eye, but keeps the ball and the defender is better placed to make the cross. Finally suggest you all take a look at the left wing, not a fan of monkhouse but forgot he was playing yesterday as he contributed nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2015, 11:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Fan
Don't understand why many of you lot constantly pick on Mackreth, I was sat behind a scout yesterday and reading his notes over his shoulder Jack and clay were getting plenty of attention. Jack always puts in a good shift for me, he was one of the better players yesterday, most of the threat coming down the right, also the reference to speed and beating his man, suggest that's got a lot to do with where and when he gets the ball, put it in behind the defender and he would beat the full back all the time, looks like he is conditioned to keep the ball, so the cut back to the right back may not be kind on the eye, but keeps the ball and the defender is better placed to make the cross. Finally suggest you all take a look at the left wing, not a fan of monkhouse but forgot he was playing yesterday as he contributed nothing.

I know it's not Hursts way of doing things but I can't help but think that we would score a hatful of goals if Marshall and Arnold played as the wide men with East and Tait as full backs - we might concede a few more but that amount of pace would terrify defences in this league.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
barralad
October 4, 2015, 12:19pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know it's not Hursts way of doing things but I can't help but think that we would score a hatful of goals if Marshall and Arnold played as the wide men with East and Tait as full backs - we might concede a few more but that amount of pace would terrify defences in this league.

You see I could live with conceding a few more but Id give it one week of winning 3-2 or drawing to see the must keep a clean sheet brigade in full voice.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
jonnyboy82
October 4, 2015, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolutely.

Tait not had a look in since the beginning of the season.

I like him.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
jonnyboy82
October 4, 2015, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 28195

In the second half he could have beaten his nan and would have been on for goal. He can't beat his man and has little pace, a winger should be able to stretch the full back and put in dangerous balls.

Yep.

I reckon he could have beaten his nan, it would certainly give him a confidence boost.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Questionable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.