Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Embarassed...........
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 125 Guests

Embarassed...........

This thread currently has 8,192 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
big al
October 5, 2015, 9:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Paddy Power have us as 4-1 second joint favourites to win the league outright - FGR are only 7-2. I'm not saying that they or any other bookies know more than we do or anyone else but they don't go around giving out money for fun - they've taken enough of mine over the years.

I think they are recognising that we are far from being a spent force in 10th place. I think they are probably thinking it's early doors and GTFC have only lost 2 games (no team's lost fewer games) and clearly have much more to give. It's hard when you love the club as much as we do and are frustrated by some disappointing results but I'm keeping the faith. I think too many are focusing on the fact that we have dropped to 10th after drawing with the league leaders - two wins and we'd be top 5 probably.

PS
In the last 10 games only two teams have only lost once Town and Dover.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
sydney
October 5, 2015, 9:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Big game tomorrow night against somewhat of a bogey side in good form themselves, they where the better side at BP last season!!
As the games go by and points don't accumulate and we don't climb the league, frustration will mount and questions will be asked of the manager
PH must know by now his stongest starting line up and the strongest bench to back that up and as a well qualified coach / manager he like us must see that our lack of midfield dominance and ability to hold onto the ball is a lot to do with the current form.
I expect to see a settled strong line up very soon (starting tomorrow) and I expect to see the midfield bolstered in the next few games
Don't like to see PH criticised so much as I think he has it in him but some of his decisions and tinkering and subsequent stuttering of results Lead to criticism.
A solid win tomorrow night will be a good base to mount our charge for the promotion we all crave this season.
Anything but a win will increase the pressure on PH
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
Maringer
October 5, 2015, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from moosey_club

yeah...it just worries me that he has forgotten while we were conceding we were generally banging them in at the other end....the mysterious dropping of Clay for having a "bad" game and the insistence on playing a lad who wasnt entirely upto it

Except that isn't true. The story I heard was that Clay was having some personal problems which Hurst felt he was struggling to deal with so took him out of the firing line. I thought Robinson was a capable enough replacement as well and did a job until Clay was ready to come back into the side, at which point he went back to his club.

Please, let's not search for reasons to attack Hurst when he's apparently trying to look after the welfare of his players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
pontoonlew
October 5, 2015, 9:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from barralad

A simple glance to the bench on Saturday told me all I needed to know about the strength of our squad. Anyone of those players would've walked into most sides in this league.
I don't think anyone knows for certain that others haven't got the squads to maintain a challenge but the past history of this league since we've been in it suggests that teams that can afford decent squads are in the mix and those that cannot (i.e. Braintree/Dover) don't...

A simple glance at the bench on Saturday tells you the strength of our squad.

A simple glance at the starting 11 tells you that we've a manager who isn't using that squad to its full effects. Look at the clubs who have won this league previously. Do you think any of them were daft enough to drop their two top scorers against teams challenging them for the league?

Not a hope in hell would they have. Hurst has persistently held back decent strikers at this club. Quite what goes through his head sometimes utterly baffles me. His quote in the GT got me 'I'm not afraid to change a winning side'.

I presume he's getting at the fact he doesn't want them to get complacent, which is fair enough. But at least give them more than 1-2 bloody games to show those signs, THEN change it. What use is it going on a decent run then throwing that momentum all away with needless changes all in the pursuit of stamping your authority and planning that we might lose one day. It's a style of 'management' that has failed to get us promoted.

That side last year could've won the league had we had the momentum at the start of the season. Why did we not have momentum at the start of the season? Because Hurst kept changing things, yet after Xmas we had some real continuity. Now what sort of manager, after seeing that, goes back to square one all over again? In hope that his original way might work this time?

It's a constant cycle and it's absolutely infuriating to see season after season watching a guy hold back the club whilst he goes on his own personal mission to prove he was right all along.

I can't imagine how Bogle and Amond feel at this moment in time, no doubt it'll take them a couple of games to get back into the swing of things, by which time the cycle continues and they end up sat on the bench again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
ginnywings
October 5, 2015, 9:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from big al
Paddy Power have us as 4-1 second joint favourites to win the league outright - FGR are only 7-2. I'm not saying that they or any other bookies know more than we do or anyone else but they don't go around giving out money for fun - they've taken enough of mine over the years.

I think they are recognising that we are far from being a spent force in 10th place. I think they are probably thinking it's early doors and GTFC have only lost 2 games (no team's lost fewer games) and clearly have much more to give. It's hard when you love the club as much as we do and are frustrated by some disappointing results but I'm keeping the faith. I think too many are focusing on the fact that we have dropped to 10th after drawing with the league leaders - two wins and we'd be top 5 probably.

PS
In the last 10 games only two teams have only lost once Town and Dover.

Odds just reflect the betting market. More bets on Town mean the odds shorten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
big al
October 5, 2015, 10:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Odds just reflect the betting market. More bets on Town mean the odds shorten.

Exactly, so who are these idiots betting on Town - either way someone somewhere thinks we can win it even if many on here don't. Is it Town fans who are deluded or maybe other punters giving the thing more than the once over.

I realise that the book suggests that money is following Town - why? Has there been a run on us since we dropped to 10th - it's not all early money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2015, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from big al

Exactly, so who are these idiots betting on Town - either way someone somewhere thinks we can win it even if many on here don't. Is it Town fans who are deluded or maybe other punters giving the thing more than the once over.

I realise that the book suggests that money is following Town - why? Has there been a run on us since we dropped to 10th - it's not all early money.

I backed us at 7-1 pre season!
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
big al
October 5, 2015, 10:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I backed us at 7-1 pre season!

I didn't mean anyone is an idiot for backing Town (was being sarcastic) - I still think that's not a bad price (4-1) - I must be the most deluded of the lot. I was responding to the idea that the odds simply reflect the level of betting interest which must still be high. I think your 7-1 looks good still - even as champions.

Time for my medication.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
GrimRob
October 6, 2015, 7:42am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from TAGG

How can you be so sure with such certanty they haven't got the squads to sustain a challenge 'through the busy  part of the season' ???? and how can you be sure we have???
Always like your posts even though I don't always agree with them but this one of yours is utter fantasy.

Nobody knows of course but at this stage I'd rather it be behind the "lesser" teams than the so-called favourites .

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 52
Meza
October 6, 2015, 8:42am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from pontoonlew

A simple glance at the bench on Saturday tells you the strength of our squad.

A simple glance at the starting 11 tells you that we've a manager who isn't using that squad to its full effects. Look at the clubs who have won this league previously. Do you think any of them were daft enough to drop their two top scorers against teams challenging them for the league?

Not a hope in hell would they have. Hurst has persistently held back decent strikers at this club. Quite what goes through his head sometimes utterly baffles me. His quote in the GT got me 'I'm not afraid to change a winning side'.

I presume he's getting at the fact he doesn't want them to get complacent, which is fair enough. But at least give them more than 1-2 bloody games to show those signs, THEN change it. What use is it going on a decent run then throwing that momentum all away with needless changes all in the pursuit of stamping your authority and planning that we might lose one day. It's a style of 'management' that has failed to get us promoted.

That side last year could've won the league had we had the momentum at the start of the season. Why did we not have momentum at the start of the season? Because Hurst kept changing things, yet after Xmas we had some real continuity. Now what sort of manager, after seeing that, goes back to square one all over again? In hope that his original way might work this time?

It's a constant cycle and it's absolutely infuriating to see season after season watching a guy hold back the club whilst he goes on his own personal mission to prove he was right all along.

I can't imagine how Bogle and Amond feel at this moment in time, no doubt it'll take them a couple of games to get back into the swing of things, by which time the cycle continues and they end up sat on the bench again.

Spot on for me Lew

I know we have a squad but  genuinely believe PH doesn't know what his best team is, furthermore when we lose he just can't wait to make loads of changes.

It should be your strongest team with the odd change in case of former and injury.

Bogle has to start and it feels like he is being punished were as Tomlinson ain't scored yet.

Really baffled at the min.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Embarassed...........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.