2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 6, 2015, 12:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
At last a film that shows the real Clough.

This is purely about the Forest years and the way he worked the players to believe in themselves and the team. Love the John Robertson quote in this article. Hurst should take note - that's what management is all about.

I went over for the Cologne semi final home leg and the performances of Birtles and Woodcock that night were unbelievably good. Woodcock got his chance for England but I never felt Birtles got the acceptance he deserved. They were a tremendous partnership, just like Bogle and Almond could be.

[url]http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/memories-of-brian-clough-reveal-just-what-english-clubs-in-europe-are-missing-a6679541.html[/url]

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Freemoash88
October 6, 2015, 12:36pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
I'm really looking forward to this. I don't think their has been any manager like him. He was charming, ruthless, intelligent and wasn't scared of saying what he thought be it please or offend.

I'm sure many of you have seen this before but I love it. Couple of links below of a couple of interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZsoF-ghw - Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJHvg5c7vPE - Interview with Don Revie live on TV after getting the sack from Leeds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
big al
October 6, 2015, 12:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
At last a film that shows the real Clough.

This is purely about the Forest years and the way he worked the players to believe in themselves and the team. Love the John Robertson quote in this article. Hurst should take note - that's what management is all about.

I went over for the Cologne semi final home leg and the performances of Birtles and Woodcock that night were unbelievably good. Woodcock got his chance for England but I never felt Birtles got the acceptance he deserved. They were a tremendous partnership, just like Bogle and Almond could be.

[url]http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/memories-of-brian-clough-reveal-just-what-english-clubs-in-europe-are-missing-a6679541.html[/url]

Can't wait - love anything to do with Brian Clough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
TownSNAFU5
October 6, 2015, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,878
Gold Stars: 42

RRFC said:
"I went over for the Cologne semi final home leg and the performances of Birtles and Woodcock that night were unbelievably good. Woodcock got his chance for England but I never felt Birtles got the acceptance he deserved. They were a tremendous partnership, just like Bogle and Almond could be".

I went to that game in Cologne as well. 1978 or 1979.   Supporting an english team;  I was stationed in Gerrmany at the ttime in the RAF.  The best non-Grimsby game I have ever seen. Cologne were very strong favourites after the first leg and the current German double champions. In fact the local press had them in the final already.

Agree that Birtles and Woodcock ran them ragged. Woodcock later played in Germany and is/was a tv commentator there.  Garry Birtles was equal to Woodcock that night and was still classy for us years later.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
grimsby pete
October 6, 2015, 1:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
A pity he never became England manager,

It would have been interesting to see how it would have worked.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 6, 2015, 1:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

RRFC said:
"I went over for the Cologne semi final home leg and the performances of Birtles and Woodcock that night were unbelievably good. Woodcock got his chance for England but I never felt Birtles got the acceptance he deserved. They were a tremendous partnership, just like Bogle and Almond could be".

I went to that game in Cologne as well. 1978 or 1979.   Supporting an english team;  I was stationed in Gerrmany at the ttime in the RAF.  The best non-Grimsby game I have ever seen. Cologne were very strong favourites after the first leg and the current German double champions. In fact the local press had them in the final already.

Agree that Birtles and Woodcock ran them ragged. Woodcock later played in Germany and is/was a tv commentator there.  Garry Birtles was equal to Woodcock that night and was still classy for us years later.  

Both legs were superb entertainment. Robertson in the first leg made all three goals. Clough's orders were for him to stand on the touchline and the midfield to get the ball to him so he could do the rest.They simply didn't know how to deal with him. Not bad for a winger who couldn't run!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
promotion plaice
October 6, 2015, 2:32pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
League Cup

Semi-Final,                   8 February 1978                 Leeds United   1-3  Nottingham Forest                 Elland Road  43,222
1st Leg                                                                

I went to this game and it was an honour to watch a great Forest team. They outplayed Leeds that night and went on to win the Final against Liverpool. Clough will always be a legend for me even though i never supported any of the Clubs he had success with.

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business. But i was in the top one"  

Quote, Brian Clough.                                                                                                  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
Chips44
October 6, 2015, 2:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +127
Brian Clough was not only a brilliant manager,and one of the great football characters,he also had a tremendous goal scoring record.I remember seeing him play and he was superb.Unfortunately he suffered a career finishing injury at the age of 29.
During his career he scored 251 league goals from only 274 starts..Those stats are in the same sphere as Ronaldo. What a player he was!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
gtfc98
October 6, 2015, 4:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Why is there a need to turn every flipping subject into a dig at Hurst FFS?

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
1mickylyons
October 6, 2015, 4:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
I love hearing of all the great Manager`s but Cloughie my favourite due to doing it at a relatively small Club in Forest and what a team they had. The team he assembled would probably be worth over £400M in today`s money easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A proper Brian Clough film

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.