CodAlmighty
November 29, 2015, 9:44am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

We scored 2 minutes after the first sub!

Quite. And to my mind Bogle had an indirect role in it. When he came on and immediately started running at them, there was a bit of a sense that we offered a different kind of threat, and maybe that made Kiddy a bit hesitant.

I like Jones, but not sure he's a natural partner for Amond.

Only criticism of Disley and Clay from me is that it was hard to judge how much they were actually winning the midfield battle rather than just Kiddy ceding it. And we could maybe have done with fresh legs in midfield the last 10-15 minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
The Yard Dog
November 29, 2015, 9:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
I said to my mate before the game, I would take a ugly 3pts today, which we did.
Now onto the cup games
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
EY Mariner
November 29, 2015, 11:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Fan
Diz MOM with out a doubt, sorry still can't see how Monkhouse claims a shirt, very average

If you're looking at Monkhouse as an orthodox winger, then you have a point. But he's a different type of player to that and extremely valuable to us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Hertsmariner
November 29, 2015, 11:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
If we are to close the gap on Cheltenham and FGR, Town need to just keep winning games like this. The weather was dreadful, but it was the same for both teams and much the same throughout the country. And, of course, we may be stuck with conditions much like this-or worse-for much of the winter yet to come and the team should, perhaps, start to concentrate on 'adaptation' strategies. Chasing and pressurising is one strategy we already do pretty well. But the set pieces, corners in particular, only rarely produce a goal. I used to enjoy the 'starburst' in George Kerr's (?) time, for example. But the near post backwards header (perhaps by Monkhouse) might be something to work on to provide some chaos at the back post. At present we see far too much pushing and shoving around Toto and Pearson/Gowling in the middle of the box. For my mind the centre backs should be hovering around the far side of the penalty area to draw out the centre halves and then either meet the flick ons from the near-post and/or, as decoys, create maybe just a yard of space for the likes of Arnold/Amond et al to make the decisive flicks towards goal. But there must surely be lots of ideas to improve the goal ratio from close quarters-the messy goals if you like. But what would I know?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
oldun
November 29, 2015, 11:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from EY Mariner

If you're looking at Monkhouse as an orthodox winger, then you have a point. But he's a different type of player to that and extremely valuable to us.

Agree and don't lets underestimate the part he plays in helping to get Connor Townsend up the pitch and into dangerous positions. What I would say though is, I wish he would position himself towards the back post for right side corners and crosses. That is the position from which he has scored goals in his career and indeed did so for us early in the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
mariner91
November 29, 2015, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Hertsmariner
If we are to close the gap on Cheltenham and FGR, Town need to just keep winning games like this. The weather was dreadful, but it was the same for both teams and much the same throughout the country. And, of course, we may be stuck with conditions much like this-or worse-for much of the winter yet to come and the team should, perhaps, start to concentrate on 'adaptation' strategies. Chasing and pressurising is one strategy we already do pretty well. But the set pieces, corners in particular, only rarely produce a goal. I used to enjoy the 'starburst' in George Kerr's (?) time, for example. But the near post backwards header (perhaps by Monkhouse) might be something to work on to provide some chaos at the back post. At present we see far too much pushing and shoving around Toto and Pearson/Gowling in the middle of the box. For my mind the centre backs should be hovering around the far side of the penalty area to draw out the centre halves and then either meet the flick ons from the near-post and/or, as decoys, create maybe just a yard of space for the likes of Arnold/Amond et al to make the decisive flicks towards goal. But there must surely be lots of ideas to improve the goal ratio from close quarters-the messy goals if you like. But what would I know?

Very good point. Almost certainly why Alabi has been brought in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
Jarmo.Is.God
November 29, 2015, 1:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Was a very forgetful game, but that's due to the weather.

Kidderminster come with horrible tactics and it worked in the first half to be fair to them.

Disappointed to hear boo's at half time, but we did the job, which last season, we would of gone home frustrated to have drawn 0-0

Credit to PH again, I'm not his biggest fan, but he made changes early in the second half and they worked !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
November 29, 2015, 1:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Was a very forgetful game, but that's due to the weather.

Kidderminster come with horrible tactics and it worked in the first half to be fair to them.

Disappointed to hear boo's at half time, but we did the job, which last season, we would of gone home frustrated to have drawn 0-0

Credit to PH again, I'm not his biggest fan, but he made changes early in the second half and they worked !

Don't worry about any booing. If your team isn't winning at half time there will always be a few boos both at Blundell Park and every other ground in the country. I heard some boos yesterday on match of the day at Manchester City who sit proudly top of the Premier League! You cannot please all people all of the time.  
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
chaos33
November 29, 2015, 2:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,969
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Hertsmariner

Good post I reckon.

In ugly winter games like this, where scratching out a win is the be all and end all, then set pieces become even more vital. I agree that we could improve a bit.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Tom13
November 29, 2015, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from chaos33

Good post I reckon.

In ugly winter games like this, where scratching out a win is the be all and end all, then set pieces become even more vital. I agree that we could improve a bit.

Makes keeping Townsend even more important - his direct free kicks can be invaluable. Maybe why Henderson in particular was brought in, if he's also decent at them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.