Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So we are 3 games in..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 140 Guests

So we are 3 games in..

This thread currently has 6,770 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 16, 2018, 9:52pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,722
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from promotion plaice

In his "Pre Lincoln Press Conference" MJ says he is confident of bringing in more players before the end of August.

Not suggesting at all that we are after signing him but I saw Josh Gowling in Grimsby today, I think Torquay released him at the end of last season.

Clee Town's next signing?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
August 17, 2018, 9:53am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
Radio Humberside were reporting that Jolley had said that he has lost out on some signings due to 'finances and location'. I haven't heard the interview myself.

Oh dear. You kind of got the impression that this was the case, but it's still sad to hear it.  
Reply: 51 - 59
Northbank Mariner
August 17, 2018, 10:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from 140381

Oh dear. You kind of got the impression that this was the case, but it's still sad to hear it.  

Afraid Chaos is paraphrasing there, he actually said there were many contributory factors to not getting the players he wanted and location/money were 2 of said factors
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
August 17, 2018, 10:03am
Guest User
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Afraid Chaos is paraphrasing there, he actually said there were many contributory factors to not getting the players he wanted and location/money were 2 of said factors

Maybe I should actually listen to it before I spout shite.  
Reply: 53 - 59
Northbank Mariner
August 17, 2018, 10:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 140381

Maybe I should actually listen to it before I spout shite.  

Funnily enough, those are the words that come out of our lasses mouth, on a regular basis...oh, sorry that what's she tells me I should do!!..
.tbh tho, I do think these 2 factors are more than likely the biggest reason why we can't attract a fairly decent calibre of player, certainly a front man anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
chaos33
August 17, 2018, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
I'm not paraphrasing. I'm quoting Radio Humberside sports bulletin yesterday tea time who said that Jolley had indicated he had missed out on players due to finances and location. These are the actual words RH used. If there was any paraphrasing, then RH have done it. As I said, I haven't heard the Jolley interview myself.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 59
Northbank Mariner
August 17, 2018, 12:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I'm not paraphrasing. I'm quoting Radio Humberside sports bulletin yesterday tea time who said that Jolley had indicated he had missed out on players due to finances and location. These are the actual words RH used. If there was any paraphrasing, then RH have done it. As I said, I haven't heard the Jolley interview myself.

That's fair enough, not like radio hullberside to exaggerate or sensationalize a statement now is it,....he says, tongue firmly in cheek..!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
Swansea_Mariner
August 17, 2018, 12:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
That's accurate but not really in context as he said there were a range of factors two of which were finance, location but also division and then many other things players need to be right when signing on.

So yes accurate but non news as finance and location affect recruitment for not only every club  in football but also every job you could think of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
Tommy
August 17, 2018, 12:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
It was JT who asks MJ the question of the reasons he gets knocked back by targets and asks if its finances and geography.

MJ responds by saying that there's a host of factors that come into it, as with any deal and any club. He lists some of them and includes the two that JT had prompted him about. If R.Humberside are making a story out of that in the context Chaos suggests, then it's a load of rubbish.

However, aren't the two main reasons every player chooses a club money and location anyway? Hardly a story even if MJ had said it like that.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 59
Tommy
August 17, 2018, 12:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Here's the interview if anyone hasn't heard it:

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1030092219716431872

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So we are 3 games in..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.