Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Your Favourite Town League Game.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Your Favourite Town League Game.

This thread currently has 11,394 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
September 28, 2018, 7:54pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 199

I wonder if in a few years time we'll be saying .......can you remember when Town hammered Morecambe 7-0 when we were shiite and it kick started our season and we got promoted.

Or am I just living in cloud-cuckoo-land ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
Les Brechin
September 28, 2018, 8:06pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from promotion plaice

I wonder if in a few years time we'll be saying .......can you remember when Town hammered Morecambe 7-0 when we were shiite and it kick started our season and we got promoted.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
Northbank Mariner
September 28, 2018, 8:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,505
Gold Stars: 171

Then you smelt the coffee n woke up!!😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
Mallyner
September 28, 2018, 8:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Townee82
Exeter may 1972 , my first game sat on my dad's shoulders all game nearly crippled him we stood in the constitutional corner well he stood .

Having been a regular that season I decided not to go into the increasingly claustrophobic Barrett Stand and I too stood in that corner and when Matt Tees rose to head a goal and I think we won 3-1 we went mad, what a game.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
TownSNAFU5
September 28, 2018, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,886
Gold Stars: 42
So many great games and memories identified above.  Shame that we have to watch a lot dross as well.

I also remember a run of the mill game against Shrewsbury at home  in 1981 or 1982.  It was played in a snowstorm.  The expectation of a decent game was low.  It even finished 0-0.

However, I remember that the match exceeded all expectations and was enjoyable in the snow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 72
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2018, 9:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,962
Gold Stars: 228

It’s at Blundell Park tomorrow PP not fantasy island.

Given this lots of thought as despite our recent decline there has been lots to choose from but it’s got to be Town 4 Sheff U 0 to win the old 3rd Division. Hat trick for a heroe against a Yorkshire side too..... “ Such a Perfect Day”!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
SpudUDontLike
September 28, 2018, 9:23pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Fulham 0 Town 1.  January 2000

Absolutely bloody freezing, Lester (I think) scored our goal completely against the run of play, and Fulham attacked non-stop, hitting the bar, posts, ball being cleared off the line. It just went on and on and on. I'd never seen such a one sided game and we held on heroically to win it. It was absolutely hilarious. I remember Karl Heinz Riedle in particular getting more and more furious and disbelieving until he was virtually in tears at the unfairness of it all. Nowhere near our best performance ever but certainly one of the most enjoyable games I've ever been to, aside from the frostbite.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
KingstonMariner
September 28, 2018, 10:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from SpudUDontLike
Fulham 0 Town 1.  January 2000

Absolutely bloody freezing, Lester (I think) scored our goal completely against the run of play, and Fulham attacked non-stop, hitting the bar, posts, ball being cleared off the line. It just went on and on and on. I'd never seen such a one sided game and we held on heroically to win it. It was absolutely hilarious. I remember Karl Heinz Riedle in particular getting more and more furious and disbelieving until he was virtually in tears at the unfairness of it all. Nowhere near our best performance ever but certainly one of the most enjoyable games I've ever been to, aside from the frostbite.

Got bloody soaked through that day. But warmed up in a massive pub on a corner site (vaguely remember Town fans singing) before rolling off to the Eight Bells.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
KingstonMariner
September 28, 2018, 10:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad
Another game which is off the general radar which sticks in my mind is a 4-1 away win at Luton in the early 90s. Paul Groves was unplayable that day. I think he scored all Town's goals.

We were a class apart that day too. Groves got a hat trick in the first 30 minutes. Not sure who got the fourth - Tony Rees?

Would have been around September 1992. Groves' first season.

There's a video of the game. Unbelievable passing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
Meza
September 29, 2018, 12:13pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,641
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

If I recall correctly we beat Coventry 3-1 at home which meant we had a pretty good lead going to their place for the 2nd leg

It all went wrong when Tony Rees was sent off just after the kick off so 10 v 11 for most of the return leg - inevitable that they'd take advantage but what made it worse was Drinks scoring for them on what I think might have been his debut

My memory these days are awful lol.  but know that you mentioned it I do recall Rees getting sent off and Drinks scoring for them, did Drinks sign for them after the first leg?

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Your Favourite Town League Game.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.