Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 162 Guests

Striker

This thread currently has 11,518 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
January 24, 2019, 10:54am
Guest User
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I'm happy with Wes Thomas, although at 32 he's probably only a shortish term solution althogh his form has dropped off the last 2 or 3 weeks. To be fair, he's been living off scraps. Charles Vernam is a quality footballer, I suspect he isn't a hundred percent after a recent injury flare up and had been playing wide right of the top three where chances aren't quite as forthcoming as the central forward.

I really did like Cook, I say did as he seems to be completely out of the reckoning, but I thing there is a clever player there. Whether he is a central striker, I'm not sure. I am not at all happy with Harry Cardwell as a first team striker. His goal record is woeful and he never looks like scoring, he is slow to react and doesn't look anywhere near the required levels. My opinion of course, and I'd be delighted if he could prove me wrong. Akeem Rose, haven't seen enough of him but from what I have seen, he has pace to burn and a willingness to get behind defences. but it's clear he is raw, he's missed a couple of good headed opportunities.

Attack wise, we need a new striker who is ready to go straight into the first eleven, easier said than done of course. May have to push the boat out and sacrifice other areas but that has to be MJ's priority and he's just over a week to bring someone in permanently. I don't want to loan players as you're just putting a plaster on the wound and improving someone elses player.

Totally agree with this, wes isn't exactly getting amazing chances atm and is having to act as a hold up player, which he is not, I think we need a tall strong lad who can hold up play, and flick it on when needs be. Cardwell is tall, but doesn't seem strong enough or win anything in the air. We also lack an aerial threat from crosses and corners unless we have Davis/öhman up with us.
Think Vernam is/will be very good, has pace and is not afraid to run AT his man which I wish we did more rather than passing it sideways/back when we meet a defender... Cook, I'm not sure about, hasn't really had enough chances of late, but imagine he's on a decent wage and wouldn't be surprised to see him going...
Reply: 40 - 46
monkeyboy
January 24, 2019, 12:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
We are not desperate for strikers imo, we are desperate for a midfield that can create chances.

I wouldnt mind if the strikers were spurning chance after chance but they are not as the service is urine poor.
We have too many mids that are pretty much the same if you take out embleton.

I do think we have a need for someone who can hold the ball up better, Thomas has been far too isolated and does not have a midfield that gets close to him, only Clifton seems to do that in any way, too much side ways and backwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
essexexile
January 24, 2019, 1:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ska face
Matt was never ours to give away and was absolute dog in most of the 30-odd matches he played for us. Of course a bloke who’s about 6’5” is going to do well for a team that just loads everything into the box and has the players to do it with quality.

So why didn't we do that when we had him?
Play to your strengths and all that!
Pi**es me off seeing him & Podge scoring for fun for a team in our league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
Rik e B
January 24, 2019, 1:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Sladeball?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Gaffer58
January 24, 2019, 2:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
So while Matt was here we didn't play to his positives,e.g.  lumping it into the box all the time, now we have  Wes that's now how we play, seems something wrong somewhere!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
Maringer
January 24, 2019, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
I think you'd have to say that the run in with endless long throws from Rose hurled into the box were pretty direct last season. Matt was a bit of a disappointment for us but I understand that his kid was badly injured at some point last year in an accident (I seem to remember some sort of a mention of him/her being scalded?). Perfectly understandable that we didn't see his best with this in mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
arryarryarry
January 24, 2019, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Gaffer58
So while Matt was here we didn't play to his positives,e.g.  lumping it into the box all the time, now we have  Wes that's now how we play, seems something wrong somewhere!!!

Not sure we do lump it into the box that much, lump upfield maybe but I see too many times we are in the last third and then the ball ends up back with McKeown.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.