Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 156 Guests

VAR (sorry!)

This thread currently has 11,424 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 18, 2019, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rik e B
Once again, not VARs fault at the weekend, that's the new handball ruling, VAR ensured the correct decision was made. And smoothly and promptly too.

It's the rule that's ridiculous.

No it isn’t. The very existence of VAR now means any remotely contentious (or even non-contentious) event on the field has people looking for VAR if they think it can gain them an advantage. It has altered the whole atmosphere of the game. Like Pete says, we immediately shout “goal” while wondering if the eye in the sky will allow it. That is so wrong it is unbelievable. It is football Rik but not as we know it!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
Stadium
August 18, 2019, 12:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

With respect H, that is the problem. Too many people hated it “since” instead of “before”. This is all so very very predictable. It is new and it is super accurate so it MUST be good. People who dislike it are technophobes and luddites who do not understand the modern world .......

VAR is just an example of football jumping at change for the wrong reasons and throwing out the baby with the bath water. VAR does not need tinkering with, it needs to go and let’s get back to football as a human activity played for professional entertainment of other humans.

But that will never happen now it's been introduced to the top European leagues.
Get used to it because no amount of supporter protest etc will have any influence whatsoever with uefa etc.
Interesting article about var in Germany after its introduction there a while ago.

https://www.dw.com/en/var-in-the-bundesliga-completely-fair-football-will-never-exist/a-47124441

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
mimma
August 18, 2019, 12:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
This is what happens when lunatics are running the asylum. The people in charge of making the rules have absolutely no idea of the game. The are trying to sanitise the game and take away the spontaneity that makes football what it is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
August 18, 2019, 1:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Rik e B
Once again, not VARs fault at the weekend, that's the new handball ruling, VAR ensured the correct decision was made. And smoothly and promptly too.

It's the rule that's ridiculous.

So you would sacrifice the excitement of the game for a "correct decision"?

What about the tens of incorrect decisions that are made during the game that VAR doesn't influence? If there is a foul on the halfway line that the ref gets wrong, just before a goal is scored or disallowed should that be brought back so that a "correct decision" is reached? Why are correct decisions only being made when it involves goalscoring? The answer is that football is a sport not a science.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
moosey_club
August 18, 2019, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227

So you would sacrifice the excitement of the game for a "correct decision"?

What about the tens of incorrect decisions that are made during the game that VAR doesn't influence? If there is a foul on the halfway line that the ref gets wrong, just before a goal is scored or disallowed should that be brought back so that a "correct decision" is reached? Why are correct decisions only being made when it involves goalscoring? The answer is that football is a sport not a science.

As Gary Lineker said last night....VAR was correct but the law's an behind...both sides should be treat the same ..if the ball "hits" an attackers arm/ hand it's advantage to the defensive side...if it "hits" a defenders arm/ hand it's advantage to the defensive side !?! How can that be right?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
RichMariner
August 18, 2019, 2:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
VAR is awful. I don't think any of us can actually complain about it getting decisions wrong because, in theory, it shouldn't.

I just think it's a technology not suited to the sport. The governing bodies are trying to shoehorn a piece of tech into a game that is fast and free-flowing and doesn't have time or space for it. They're forcing it to fit.

People may claim I don't mean this but I genuinely, genuinely, don't care about all decisions being 100% correct. There are too many instances in football that could be reviewed. You could review every foul, every throw-in, every corner, every penalty claim, every aerial duel between a centre back and a striker. I mean, where do you stop?

Incidents happen every few seconds in every football match up and down the land. The referee is there to make the call. The only piece of technology I agree with is goal-line technology. That's the most vital area and it's either in or not. It's black and white. It needs no interpretation.

I'm sure someone will call me out and say would I insist on VAR if the Mariners were relegated, or denied promotion, based on an incorrect decision? Well, no I wouldn't. I've spent my whole life watching football knowing that refs get it wrong. But I also know they're not out to deliberately target us.

Well, apart from Carl Boyeson

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
Rik e B
August 18, 2019, 2:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Well I think the Premier League have gone at it better than Europe and Fifa as its only used in high end decisions and only then 'clear and obvious errors' so the ref still makes his call as usual and only if it a heinous miscarriage of justice will the VAR team intervene.

Where it takes away it can add drama back, I don't think people are going to stop celebrating wildly in case VAR overrules shortly after - for one, some goals you just know nothing wrong with, screamers from outside the box for example. And we already had that egg on face emotion when a linesman would belatedly raise his flag whilst we jumping up and down going wild before finally realising it been chalked off.

Now there is added nail biting moments as we notice the ref pointing out VAR may have spotted a discrepancy and the conceding side and supporters cross their fingers that the goal will not stand. There is also the added elation from the opposite fans if the goal is disallowed -kind of like when a penalty is saved after being gutted that one conceded and adamant about to concede as a result.

VAR did well yesterday (imo) for Man City it rightly pulled up the (ridiculous) new rule about any hitting of an arm being a factor in a goal being scored and quickly too before the players  were taking their places either side of the centre circle again.

And the other major decision it rightly chalked out an offside goal, again reviewed and decided before the match was due to kick off again.

Other than that it runs silent in the background double checking and okaying goals so no glaring travestys of justice take place.

It's goals that change games, that's why they right to just keep it minimal to this crucial area of the game and letting the ref get on with things elsewhere.

Maybe most of you guys are of an older vintage to myself and so have been in love with the game as it was for much longer. Also it is well known that people are resistant to change, the human brain likes things to stay as they are where it feels comfortable and safe (slightly off point).

So long as technology doesn't encroach further and further and is kept to the big game changing decisions and further streamlined instead of going down the road of American football or whatever, I believe it for the greater good. In time it will just be normal, we experiencing that initial resistance right now I feel. Add that to it still being in a somewhat experimental stage, it going to be a contentious issue to start with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
Gaffer58
August 18, 2019, 3:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I'm all for VAR at towns games because when we score it nowadays takes me so long to get the knees working to stand up and celebrate that by the time I'm nearly ready VAR has been implemented and probably cancelled the goal. Therefore I'm still sat quite comfortable with my blanket and flask intact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 18, 2019, 5:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rik e B
Well I think the Premier League have gone at it better than Europe and Fifa as its only used in high end decisions and only then 'clear and obvious errors' so the ref still makes his call as usual and only if it a heinous miscarriage of justice will the VAR team intervene.

Where it takes away it can add drama back, I don't think people are going to stop celebrating wildly in case VAR overrules shortly after - for one, some goals you just know nothing wrong with, screamers from outside the box for example. And we already had that egg on face emotion when a linesman would belatedly raise his flag whilst we jumping up and down going wild before finally realising it been chalked off.

Now there is added nail biting moments as we notice the ref pointing out VAR may have spotted a discrepancy and the conceding side and supporters cross their fingers that the goal will not stand. There is also the added elation from the opposite fans if the goal is disallowed -kind of like when a penalty is saved after being gutted that one conceded and adamant about to concede as a result.

VAR did well yesterday (imo) for Man City it rightly pulled up the (ridiculous) new rule about any hitting of an arm being a factor in a goal being scored and quickly too before the players  were taking their places either side of the centre circle again.

And the other major decision it rightly chalked out an offside goal, again reviewed and decided before the match was due to kick off again.

Other than that it runs silent in the background double checking and okaying goals so no glaring travestys of justice take place.

It's goals that change games, that's why they right to just keep it minimal to this crucial area of the game and letting the ref get on with things elsewhere.

Maybe most of you guys are of an older vintage to myself and so have been in love with the game as it was for much longer. Also it is well known that people are resistant to change, the human brain likes things to stay as they are where it feels comfortable and safe (slightly off point).

So long as technology doesn't encroach further and further and is kept to the big game changing decisions and further streamlined instead of going down the road of American football or whatever, I believe it for the greater good. In time it will just be normal, we experiencing that initial resistance right now I feel. Add that to it still being in a somewhat experimental stage, it going to be a contentious issue to start with.

I think we all understand that point but you don’t seem to see what really matters Rik. This has nothing to do with age. It is not so much that VAR is right or wrong, it is not even whether VAR runs in the background or the foreground or hyperspace in between.

The problem with VAR is simple - it exists.

By existing it automatically alters the way the game is played, refereed and watched because everyone has this sort of itchy feeling that there is a higher power in charge of the game. It does not matter whether that is true, it does not even matter whether VAR is the most technologically accurate machine since the invention of the slide rule. It changes our perspective.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
August 18, 2019, 6:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Rik e B

I agree entirley with the reply from RRFC.

It is not for the greater good. It is trying to shoehorn a modern system into a fast flowing, unpredictable and mistake ridden game. Every passage of play leads directly or indirectly to something contentious, so where would we draw the line if we wanted every decision to be correct?

The Manchester City disallowed goal was the daftest thing I have ever seen; players having goals ruled out for being 1inch offside is totally and utterly ludicrous - that is not what the spirit of the  laws of the game are there for.

I repeat myself but mistakes are made all over the park but that is part of the fun.  
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.