Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone else ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 145 Guests

Anyone else ?

This thread currently has 9,979 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
August 31, 2019, 11:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Why would we want a “second-rate” player as a reserve? Surely better to try and bring on a young player by putting out on loan with a recall option and bank the wage saving until Jan?

I didn't say he had to be a has been!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
September 1, 2019, 2:53am
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid
Because he isn't good enough. No disrespect to him but 1 goal in 2 years. Not good enough, better for all if he moves on

It would be surprising if he didn't learn a bit from watching Hanson play.

Your assessment of Cardwell seems reasonably fair given what we've seen so far, so I have to assume the
management have seen more than we have.

I presume he is the back-up for Hanson at present.
Reply: 41 - 47
Mrs Doyle
September 1, 2019, 7:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Trying not to get carried away still very early days but I said earlier Hanson IS the real deal.

From the first time I see him not just his ability to win and scrap for everything but he is also a natural leader of men and is goal hungry.

Watch Jolley and co on the bench they know it and so do the rest of the team, he as an immense presence about him that inspires all around him.

Jolley pulled out an absolute cracker getting him here.

If we stop giving away silly goals and Hanson stays fit we will always be in with a chance Hanson does not mind having two even three defenders on him whilst they are having to double up on marking him Green, Mosses and co are able to find more room.

People who are knocking Jolley for playing to Hansons obvious strength should see he was the main missing piece in the jigsaw you need in lower leagues.

Not just that but Green and Mosses are also big strong lads with a fair turn of pace plus the ability to put over a good cross plus you have two excellent young speed merchants Max wright and Akheem Rose.

Definitely a front line to chanlenge any defence in this league.

You need that man who can LEAD the front line and Hanson is the best I have seen here in years.

Young Harry Cardwell can learn a great deal under his influence and that can only be a massive possitive for the lad.

A great blend of youth plus some key expirienced warriors to learn from.

All good signs UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
September 1, 2019, 10:22am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Michael Jolley in Thursdays interview, one and maybe two.

To be fair, in the interview he didn't say we would be signing someone on Monday, he said we were still trying to sign one, maybe two before the transfer deadline.

Reply: 43 - 47
toontown
September 1, 2019, 11:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from 137

It would be surprising if he didn't learn a bit from watching Hanson play.

Your assessment of Cardwell seems reasonably fair given what we've seen so far, so I have to assume the
management have seen more than we have.

I presume he is the back-up for Hanson at present.

Ogbu or green have been the back up for the Hanson role against Donny and Macca when Hanson wasn't playing. Caldwell is 4th choice now for the lead the line/target man role. It would probably  be better for him as well as us if we can get him out on loan AND the savings contribute to us getting a better replacement in. If we can't get anyone in then fair enough I would want him to stay as our squad is too small and he will definitely get used on occasion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
mariner91
September 1, 2019, 11:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from toontown

Ogbu or green have been the back up for the Hanson role against Donny and Macca when Hanson wasn't playing. Caldwell is 4th choice now for the lead the line/target man role. It would probably  be better for him as well as us if we can get him out on loan AND the savings contribute to us getting a better replacement in. If we can't get anyone in then fair enough I would want him to stay as our squad is too small and he will definitely get used on occasion.

I don't know if he would get used in all honesty. Nobody is going to be able to replace Hanson like for like if he was unavailable but in Ogbu and Green we've got two forward players who are good at this level and both are more than capable of playing centrally. Then you've got Wright, Rose and Vernam who can all play in the forward three as well and in my opinion are all well ahead of Cardwell. Cardwell is only going to get a look in if we were very unfortunate and had both Ogbu and Hanson out for an extended period.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
toontown
September 1, 2019, 11:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from mariner91

I don't know if he would get used in all honesty. Nobody is going to be able to replace Hanson like for like if he was unavailable but in Ogbu and Green we've got two forward players who are good at this level and both are more than capable of playing centrally. Then you've got Wright, Rose and Vernam who can all play in the forward three as well and in my opinion are all well ahead of Cardwell. Cardwell is only going to get a look in if we were very unfortunate and had both Ogbu and Hanson out for an extended period.

When I said he would be used I meant in the role he has been used in already I.e. coming on late on when  we are leading to use his aerial ability at the back for set pieces and his good defensive work up front, to shore us up late on. I can't see him starting league games unless Hanson ogbu and green are all out, even then it's possible we would go with a different system rather than start him. For wide front men i would say green ogbu wright rose vernam and cook are all in front of him for those 2 starting positions. He will probably start in the checkatwat trophy thing tho depending on the rules. Do you still have to use a certain number of players who played the league game before the trophy match?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
Rik e B
September 1, 2019, 2:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I don't like to target or single players out for criticism usually but it has to be said I've seen nothing from Cardwell to presume he'll ever be good enough. Runs around alot and tries but you need a bit more than that.

Was very surprised/disappointed he kept on by Jolley tbh - maybe he a great character around the place or trains like a Beast through the week, we'll never see the full picture, but he needs to show more on a match day. If he ever gets a look in now that is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone else ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.