KingstonMariner
October 13, 2019, 9:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Pollock and Rose were dropped from the team v Exeter to accommodate Hanson and Davis. Vernam not even on the bench when he is the most natural replacement for Wright.

This week, Gibson, who has barely put a foot wrong, dropped so that we can accommodate an out of form right back and Green, not Rose, Ogbu or Vernam starts instead of Wright.

We, including the manager, all talk about playing counter attacking football and yet we pick our slowest striker. Makes no sense to me.

Not saying he got the selection right, just that when you remove one piece unless you have a replacement you end up with several other changes. Players being outside of their natural position will obviously limit the team but there were times when the players made mistakes that can't be accounted for by being out of position. Just slow thinking. Or cautious thinking - too cautious.

Vernam was on the bench. He came on for Green.

Pollock was the replacement in the Exeter game so to see him swapped out next game wasn't a surprise.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
denni266
October 13, 2019, 9:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from chaos33
Original post in this thread from a serial moaner pretty embarrassing, especially the misspelling of our manager’s name.

Anyway, which manager was it who recently said ‘Grimsby have a bit of everything’? That’s good. We just need to be smarter at deploying it. The glaring issue for me, is if our Plan A revolves around crosses to Hanson, then we surely must be playing with some width and working on delivery and set pieces. For me the team is often not  set up to prioritise this. One natural attacking wide player in the squad looks like a management oversight to me. It seems to be fairly evident after this number of games that we are probably going to be a middling sort of team. Better than being strugglers but I think we could be making much better use off what we’ve got at times.

sodomist me . ya spotted me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
Abdul19
October 13, 2019, 9:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from quebec38

A Ben Pringle or such like on loan is a must ASAP.

January 1

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
MuddyWaters
October 13, 2019, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not saying he got the selection right, just that when you remove one piece unless you have a replacement you end up with several other changes. Players being outside of their natural position will obviously limit the team but there were times when the players made mistakes that can't be accounted for by being out of position. Just slow thinking. Or cautious thinking - too cautious.

Vernam was on the bench. He came on for Green.

Pollock was the replacement in the Exeter game so to see him swapped out next game wasn't a surprise.

Vernam wasn't on the bench for the Mansfield game - Green came on for Wright and did exactly what he did against Salford - tried too hard against a former club which had a negative rather than positive effect.

I understand why some like Green - he works really hard but, to me, he offers less threat than Wright, Rose, Vernam, Ogbu and possibly even Cook.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
golfer
October 13, 2019, 11:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Well, as Captain he should take the bull by the horns and ignore them if he can see lumping it up just ain't working, that's his role!!

You don't honestly think he kicks it towards Hanson on purpose ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
Maringer
October 13, 2019, 11:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,675
Gold Stars: 189
Got to be said, I'm surprised to see people complaining that Vernam didn't come in to replace Wright on the wing. From my recollection, Vernam has always been pretty anonymous when played out wide.

Unfortunately, I worry he may be one of those players with ability but who is unable to find a position where he can bring this to bear. Or perhaps, one who is only good in certain positions/formations but not good enough to change the way the manager wants to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
arryarryarry
October 13, 2019, 11:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Maringer
Got to be said, I'm surprised to see people complaining that Vernam didn't come in to replace Wright on the wing. From my recollection, Vernam has always been pretty anonymous when played out wide.

Unfortunately, I worry he may be one of those players with ability but who is unable to find a position where he can bring this to bear. Or perhaps, one who is only good in certain positions/formations but not good enough to change the way the manager wants to play.

Vernam can't really have done much worse that most of those that started on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
Kris2
October 14, 2019, 1:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Maringer

Yeah but if a player isn't getting in the team the fans think he's better than he has been when playing.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
Northbank Mariner
October 14, 2019, 6:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from golfer

You don't honestly think he kicks it towards Hanson on purpose ?

Erm, yes.!!😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
wembley19984
October 14, 2019, 7:24am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -8
Football is a simple game, divide the pitch into four quarters.
Left sided players, ie those with a left foot play on the left and right footed players, play on the right.
Gives the correct balance, those with pace play out wide.
So Mr Jolley you lost sight of the fundamentals on Saturday and got it all bottom about face, hence the woeful first half.
You're fault 100%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › jolly the poor workman

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.