Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley having his say leaked..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Jolley having his say leaked..

This thread currently has 28,258 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
November 17, 2019, 11:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,962
Gold Stars: 228
On reflection he's just defaulted to typical failing Manager mode.... It's not my fault its the budget, the ref, the pitch, VAR (not at our level of course), injuries, global warming, the economy etc.. etc.. etc..

Why should he expect the press to be on his side? Why should he expect positivity when if this was after the Orient game you've just been beaten 4 - 0 at home by a pretty average opponent? There is absolutely nothing we haven't seen before from other Managers it's just that Jolley thought he'd try and out "F" Peter Reid in the classless stakes.

I kind of get the references to the National League but he always told us that any "success" was from the collective group rather than an individual.In the past he also spoke about player behavior standards.........hypocrisy?  

He talks about the poor budget and the negativity well that has been at the club well before him and will be as long as JF and the boys are involved, clearly some research needed doing there.

He started well but couldn't keep it up both in terms of moving the side forward and keeping up the Mr nice guys image, I'm glad he's gone.

The thing that is a bigger concern is that this will just keep happening in some way shape or form whilst the current exec are in place until the inevitable happens and and where back in Tin Pot,  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 135
Poojah
November 17, 2019, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,615
Gold Stars: 1,503
It’s worth keeping in mind that this clip is incomplete; we do not necessarily know how this tirade ended. Is the outburst alone sufficient to be a sacakable offence? Possibly, but only if you were looking for an excuse to get someone out of your business already.

I find the timing of Jolley’s sacking both bizarre and unexpected. Of all the theories being bandied around, the possibility that Jolley’s properly overstepped the mark somewhere in the last week feels the most likely to me. To blame results when we haven’t played a league game in a month simply doesn’t compute.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 135
HertsGTFC
November 17, 2019, 11:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,962
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano
Just for the sake of balance. 226 people tweeted their thanks to m.j. He has replied individually to every single one of them. Not condoning his outburst just saying that I think there's a decent man who's just lost it. He may even look back in a year and thank his lucky stars he got out when he did

He and his Mrs also had a long record of blocking anyone who expressed any form of negativity about MJ's ability as a Football Manager or the performance of the side.

Away from the bubble and emotion involved in football I would imagine most managers are decent people I think he's not done himself any flavors but I'm sure he'll come back somewhere.

Under the current exec GTFC is a toxic job one that may for many reasons appears an impossible one, like I say MJ hasn't done himself any favors not just with the recording thing but arguably taking the bloody job in the first place.

Apart from what looks like a decent Youth and Kids set up currently the club is an embarrassment from top to bottom.            

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 135
Rodley Mariner
November 17, 2019, 11:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I think that's a fair point Herts. The other thing is that it's hard to imagine the pressure that they must come under. We all have tough times at work when we feel pressure. Going through that with a few thousand people watching and then having to discuss with the media must be awful. Especially for someone like Jolley who must have known this was realistically his chance of making it. He can be a decent guy who acted really badly rather than this somehow meaning he is a bad person.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 135
rancido
November 17, 2019, 12:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
The whole timing thing is  bit bizarre. I don't go in for " conspiracy theories " but I wonder if the replay at Newport has anything to do with this ? There is , potentially , a lot of money at stake if we succeed at Newport and get a result at Maldon.It's possible the Board /JF thought that the negative/defensive approach by Jolley was just too much to get a result and this brought forward a decision that has been simmering for a few games. Certainly the defeat to Orient ( that included two players who had previously been deemed not good enough for us ) won't have gone unnoticed by JF and the Board. It could be that Limbrick has more tactical nous and influence with the players than we thought? Who knows but at least Limbrick has the opportunity to make a mark , starting Wednesday, and prove he wasn't influential in
why our results had gone downhill under MJ.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 135
chaos33
November 17, 2019, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I think that's a fair point Herts. The other thing is that it's hard to imagine the pressure that they must come under. We all have tough times at work when we feel pressure. Going through that with a few thousand people watching and then having to discuss with the media must be awful. Especially for someone like Jolley who must have known this was realistically his chance of making it. He can be a decent guy who acted really badly rather than this somehow meaning he is a bad person.

I agree. A rare, balanced view.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 135
Ipswin
November 17, 2019, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from rancido

A bit like Jolley blaming the budget when it is more about his failings to get a fairly decent squad to play consistent football. I've yet to hear a football manager who got the sack/left and admit he got it wrong. It's always somebody/something else - the budget, the facilities, the Board, the Chairman.

I am also sick and tired of failed managers blaming everyone else for their shortcomings. In Particular the budget in this case.

Did Jolley really expect the Board of a relegation threatened Div 4 club, which we were when he arrived (and could well be again quite soon) to give him as a totally unproven manager whose previous experience was managing a subbuteo team a huge amount of money to spend?

He knew when he took the job, from the probably meagre salary he was happy to accept, he must surely have realised that he would have to prove himself on a shoestring cash-wise. Truth is good teams have been formed on far smaller budgets and the team he has put together is failing.

Outbursts because he didn't like the press? Part of the job.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 135
Bigdog
November 17, 2019, 1:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Jolley's not our manager anymore, so procrastinating on his outburst is pretty pointless looking forward from today. The only thing that remains pertinent from the inappropriate recording of an off the record rant is the fact that another manager has left us bemoaning shortcomings in funding at our club. This time it wasn't a bitter parting shot of a sacked manager, it was a highly frustrated manager while in the job.

Something's got to change. We all talk of players and whether they CDAJATL or not. The same analysis could be levelled at our football club under its present regime. When and what division could we say CDAJATL about GTFC over the past twenty years? Apparently they can muster up the seventh best budget in the Conference while having the best home average attendance. That's where our board CDAJATL. Says it all really. The club as it is run now is out of its depth being a upward looking competitive League Two EFL club. Along with the incompetence, we are also quite a divisive, poisonous, narrow minded, unambitious club at the same time.

It's just a never ending rinse and repeat. It's always everyone else's fault rather than the people who are most accountable at the top. The fallout over the past few years has been worrying as a loyal Town fan, embarrassing and deplorable at times and yet we faithfully cling onto one or two decent performances a season or revel in the relief of leaving the stresses of BP behind on far flung awaydays in decent numbers.

But the worrying trend of recent low home gates is underlined by quoting a fellow Town fan on Twitter..

The thing is, fans drift away from football clubs slowly. Bit by bit, the ties that bind become looser until eventually they slip away entirely. That seems to be the journey many #GTFC fans are on right now. There’s a lot needs fixing, and not just the manager’s job.

This cycle of failure and poison has got to change, the charge sheet is unbelievably long for just one club.. and a takeover with a big broom and fresh ideas to galvanise our fanbase can't come soon enough..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 135
grimsby pete
November 17, 2019, 1:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Having listened to it again am I shocked  -   No

I am surprised hearing it from Jolley who I thought was an intelligent well versed  educated young man.

Did he deserve losing his job over it -  Maybe

More than likely it was due to the uninspiring displays we have had the misfortune to watch this season.

He confused me in what he was trying to achieve this season as he got a better team together than the previous season but then made them worse by playing far too negatively and playing players out of position.

We have not seem the best of most of the players he has brought in by his tactics just look at Moses Ogbu apart from one game he has played him as a winger - he is not a winger.

I could go on and on about certain players I just hope the new man starting with Limbrick play a more attacking formation with players in their best positions.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 135
moosey_club
November 17, 2019, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,270
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Ipswin

I am also sick and tired of failed managers blaming everyone else for their shortcomings. In Particular the budget in this case.

Did Jolley really expect the Board of a relegation threatened Div 4 club, which we were when he arrived (and could well be again quite soon) to give him as a totally unproven manager whose previous experience was managing a subbuteo team a huge amount of money to spend?

He knew when he took the job, from the probably meagre salary he was happy to accept, he must surely have realised that he would have to prove himself on a shoestring cash-wise. Truth is good teams have been formed on far smaller budgets and the team he has put together is failing.

Outbursts because he didn't like the press? Part of the job.

JF intimated/ admitted that the budget last season was below par and therefore would be looked at, looking at the squad this year i see some probably higher paid players, but i dont see in depth numbers. Was the budget increased really ? Or was the wage cap broken allowing better paid players to be signed but creating a balancing out further down the squad, ie the youth make up of the squad.
Jolley obviously felt strongly about it enough to rant about it,  so while it may be a weak excuse on one hand, it may also be a very valid point on the other.  
We simply wont know because only a couple of people do.  I am certain though that the major shareholder will include the words "competetive" and "always listened to requests for signing players" when it comes to budget/squad/transfer signings etc.....just as he has with every other manager appointed under his reign.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 135
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley having his say leaked..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.