Bigdog
February 3, 2020, 10:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from aldi_01
Of course they are but equally, the engine shed in particular, they also have their fair share of shite.

The cost of running a venue has become expensive these days too.

I don’t think we should be thinking about using the stadium for gigs...if someone wants to, then it’s an option but it can’t form a serious part of the planning.

People making up figures about other clubs seems pointless though.

I’ll always revert back to my main point, the thought of Day heading up the project team worries me. The question about funding is sensible and ensuring we end up with a stadium that’s at least half decent is important.

Worry about the food or booze or a potential gig or whatever after we’ve eatabslihed what it will look like and where exactly, it will be built.

Me too. A solicitor, an accountant, a penny pinching fish merchant and a football manager as mad as a box of frogs in charge of setting out the first and lasting impression of our football club (the new stadium) for the next 100 years. The new stadium will represent who we are and where we're going as a football club to the public of NE Lincs and beyond, prospective managers and players for a lot longer than the lives of everyone who posts on here. It will define us and is so important to get right. Just another Doncaster or Rotherham stadium won't cut it in my opinion. We need to be bold and innovative. I remember a TV programme before Xmas. Britain's Best Home I think it was. The deserved winner of the whole competition amongst houses which cost millions to build was a unique design that cost 300k. That proves if we can get the right architect in with the right remit, we could get a better bang for our buck than I fear we'll end up with.

If the money's there, I'd quite like a smaller version of Brighton's stadium or a nod towards some of the innovative Nordic stadia but I think the ergonomics and aesthetics are going to be compromised by the funding necessity of it being a community stadium. Quite likely we'll end up with function over form rather than function and form..

If so, beggars can't be choosers and it will still be much better for the club than BP. Just praying that we end up with a stadium that will make people sit up and take notice..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
arryarryarry
February 3, 2020, 10:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117

Rotherham is owned by a company - ADS Lighting which is owned by the Rotherham chairman who has invested at least £20m in the club since taking over in 2008. They bought the land for the stadium themselves. Not a reasonable comparison because much of the cash came through the company not the club.

York’s new stadium is still being constructed after about 17 years of plans and counter plans by the way.

Get it done? Yes we should. But don’t count any chickens just yet.

Just about completed and may well hold a professional game either football or rugby before the end of this season so compare their time frame with ours. Ours is now unlikely to be built within 30 years of the official anouncement of moving to a new ground.

I think 76,962 just needs to calm down a bit I won't believe anything about a new ground until the diggers are in digging out the footings.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
February 3, 2020, 10:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Bigdog

Me too. A solicitor, an accountant, a penny pinching fish merchant and a football manager as mad as a box of frogs in charge of setting out the first and lasting impression of our football club (the new stadium) for the next 100 years. The new stadium will represent who we are and where we're going as a football club to the public of NE Lincs and beyond, prospective managers and players for a lot longer than the lives of everyone who posts on here. It will define us and is so important to get right. Just another Doncaster or Rotherham stadium won't cut it in my opinion. We need to be bold and innovative. I remember a TV programme before Xmas. Britain's Best Home I think it was. The deserved winner of the whole competition amongst houses which cost millions to build was a unique design that cost 300k. That proves if we can get the right architect in with the right remit, we could get a better bang for our buck than I fear we'll end up with.

If the money's there, I'd quite like a smaller version of Brighton's stadium or a nod towards some of the innovative Nordic stadia but I think the ergonomics and aesthetics are going to be compromised by the funding necessity of it being a community stadium. Quite likely we'll end up with function over form rather than function and form..

If so, beggars can't be choosers and it will still be much better for the club than BP. Just praying that we end up with a stadium that will make people sit up and take notice..

I certainly share your reservations but if we had a stadium like Rotherham I would be more than happy.

We will await detailed plans but I would be amazed and delighted if it matched their stadium but in glorious black and white.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
grimsby pete
February 3, 2020, 11:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Anyway, what did happen to Extreme Leisure? 🤔

Slipped on a ski slope I think  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
Rik e B
February 3, 2020, 11:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Not been to New York Stadium just wondering why lots of people laud it over other identikit stadia?

I think even Fenty said he'd like PP based on there way back when.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
Grim up north
February 3, 2020, 11:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 1
I've been in Rotherhams and its miles better than Donnys and the other conventional stadiums as the one big main stand gives the appearance of a much larger stadium from the outside and a volume of noise from the home support. The tapered ends behind the goal still give you the chance to capitalise on catering for 4000 away fans should you advance up the league and play a decent club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
Rik e B
February 3, 2020, 11:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Not gonna be drawn into fantasising over the finer details for the 800th time in the last quarter of a century but the biggest thing for me is that the place is conducive to creating an atmospheric cauldron that intimidating to opponents. Seats up as close as possible to pitch etc etc.

If New York Stadium better at that than the rest then clone it for all I care.

It'd be nice to have an architectural masterpiece and work of art that stands out but anything diverting from the most efficient methods means more pounds added. Those pounds quickly add up and if we wondering where the hell gonna get 20 million from its no use dreaming of something more fancy for 40, 60, 90.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
Meza
February 4, 2020, 12:14am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,649
Gold Stars: 50
I quite like Bournemouth's stadium, it always seems close to the pitch on MOTD.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
moosey_club
February 4, 2020, 8:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,299
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog

Me too. A solicitor, an accountant, a penny pinching fish merchant and a football manager as mad as a box of frogs in charge of setting out the first and lasting impression of our football club (the new stadium) for the next 100 years

Let them each design a stand.....
One will be neatly balanced,uniform, equal access and egress, bang on budget
One will be built to the highest standards with safe seating, no trip hazards, no sharp edges to maximise crowd safety to prevent injury claims..
One will be built out of upcycled fish boxes, pallets, driftwood, the old seating from Blundell Park all nailed together in a no nonsense way...
And the last would have an ice cream parlour, dog creche, metal detecting area, automatic turnstiles that close bang on 3p.m so don't be late but good acoustics and atmosphere..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2020, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club

Let them each design a stand.....
One will be neatly balanced,uniform, equal access and egress, bang on budget
One will be built to the highest standards with safe seating, no trip hazards, no sharp edges to maximise crowd safety to prevent injury claims..
One will be built out of upcycled fish boxes, pallets, driftwood, the old seating from Blundell Park all nailed together in a no nonsense way...
And the last would have an ice cream parlour, dog creche, metal detecting area, automatic turnstiles that close bang on 3p.m so don't be late but good acoustics and atmosphere..

Very good.  It's the Fenty stand version I fear the most.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Negativity always rears it head

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.