Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Who have you met, and where?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

Who have you met, and where?

This thread currently has 20,744 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
TonySmith
March 20, 2020, 4:02pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
  I was a teacher in Huddersfield in the '80's ,and I was out drinking with some teacher friends one night in, I think, early 1987 , when who should walk in but Mike Lyons and Phil Bonnyman! They sat in a corner minding their own business while I made the mistake of pointing them out to my friends. I would have left it there, but of course one of my buddies who had  had a pint or three had to go over to them and say, quite loudly, " Our friend's a Grimsby fan." Surprisingly, they invited me over and we chatted for 10 or 15 minutes. They had been to watch a reserve game at Leeds Road and had popped in for a pint before getting back on the motorway.
  I am well aware of Lyons' reputation amongst Town fans, but I have to say they were both very friendly and welcoming to me that night and willing to chat about the club, recent matches, and other players.I kept my opinion about Mike playing himself as a striker to myself, which is probably just as well, but I have very fond memories of that evening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 133
March 20, 2020, 4:04pm
Guest User
Pre-John Player cricket in the early 60's I went to watch a match at Ross Sports ground. The match was between the Cricketing Cavaliers and a Lincolnshire side. Godfrey Evens played I was introduced to a young West Indian cricket who was proclaimed to be a future West Indian captain and great. His name Clive Lloyd.
Walking down Wembley way to the play off final against Northampton I spotted Lawie McMenemy with Dave Boylen. Imagine my surprise when they looked over and said "It's Don," and came over to speak to my father.
Reply: 51 - 133
Gaffer58
March 20, 2020, 4:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
This last weekend bumped elbows with Alan Shearer at his golf course in Newcastle, didn’t have the balls to ask about his scar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 133
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 20, 2020, 4:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
I played in the same school team as Paul Wilkinson at Toll Bar.
I marked John Robertson in the Nottingham Sunday League and was man of the match because I kept him in my pocket - he was a washed up alcoholic and about 15 years older than me! A right nasty b**tard, tried to kick lumps out of me when he realised he was being made to look a mug.
And on the other side of the coin - I played against Aden Butterworth (sp?) who used to play for Leeds when we were both students - he ran me ragged and made me look like a right clown. I got him at the right angle between the bye line and the penalty area and thought all was under control, he nutmegged me and then threw himself over my outstretched leg for a nailed on penalty.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 133
barralad
March 20, 2020, 4:42pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Graham Taylor when manager of Lincoln came over to coach my years team at Clee Grammar as a favour to Owen Roberts. It was the day after his team lost to Boston United in the F. A. cup so he could've been forgiven for backing out but he didn't. See Gary Birtles about a lot in Notts. He lives a couple of roads away from my girlfriend. He loved his time at Town.
Met Kevin Keegan in a service station on the M62 when he was at Liverpool. Knew Town's result that day which impressed me.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 133
Northbank Mariner
March 20, 2020, 4:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Had the pleasure of meeting Alan "sniffer" Clarke when I worked as a fitter for ABP, around 20 years ago
What a gent, had a good conversation talking football and how it'd changed beyond belief.
Poor bloke was only there selling extractor fans and was doing okay until my mate thought to ask where the other 4 where...div got mixed up with Dave Clarke!!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 133
Manchester Mariner
March 20, 2020, 6:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Worked in a regional theatre ticket call centre around 15 years ago and sold panto tickets to ex Bolton, Hibs and Finland striker Mixu Paatelainen, Dev from Coronation Street rang up for any tickets we could donate to his charity and Judith Chalmers from the holiday programmes in the 80's called asking if there was any free tickets as she was Judith Chalmers.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 133
Posh Harry
March 20, 2020, 6:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Didn’t exactly meet him but was in a big queue For the toilets at a service station between rustenburg and Joberg after the England v USA game at the World Cup when arsene wenger walked out of the disabled toilet.

Cheeky f8cker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 133
golfer
March 20, 2020, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Went outside at The Tavern for a smoke - spent good 1/2 hour talking about Accapulco to Elvis Presley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 133
grimsby pete
March 20, 2020, 6:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from golfer
Went outside at The Tavern for a smoke - spent good 1/2 hour talking about Accapulco to Elvis Presley.

I saw Elvis when we went to Vegas,

In fact I saw a few  Elvis's there.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Who have you met, and where?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.