5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
norfuk mariner
April 15, 2020, 10:00am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Reported in papers today that Rovers posted a loss of £3.4m last year and had a debt of £24m. They have a kind chairman who is owed £16m of this.  Wonder why Ollie did not get involved??? Perhaps Fentynomics might not be such a bad thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
April 15, 2020, 11:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
They were going to build a new stadium but the whole thing fell through. Wonder if that has a bearing on things.

Just goes to show that throwing money at a club even in the lower leagues isn't always the answer. They haven't kicked on from getting promoted despite the money.

Dark times for the gas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2020, 12:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,310
Gold Stars: 309
I've been quoted elsewhere that I dislike Fenty's attitude to supporters, his 'my way or the highway' view of running the club and his communication (formal and informal) is a case study in how not to do it. But, I also believe that without him we may not have had a club to support.

If you net out Rover's situation they are £11.4m in the red - that is a massive debt to service for a small club that has little or no income at the moment.

Mark Palios (Tranmere owner and former head of the FA (was it the FA?)) said this morning (on Radio 4) that he believes that more than 10 clubs are close to going under in the current situation.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
Ipswin
April 15, 2020, 12:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from norfuk mariner
  Wonder why Ollie did not get involved?.

Probably because he wasn't asked, they appointed someone else (I forget who) despite Holloway publically voicing his interest

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
Davec
April 15, 2020, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Bristol Rovers owner is a billionaire so not much of a concern at the immediate time but if he gets bored and walks away then that will change dramatically and they could possibly go like Bury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2020, 1:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Hmm, he should be able to service the debt then!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
Heisenberg
April 15, 2020, 5:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Hmm, he should be able to service the debt then!

If he wants to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 15, 2020, 5:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Just watched video by Paul Barber, CEO at Brighton, on talksport page discussing their financial position and fact they are sharing this with the players etc. In this he states that Brighton have made a loss in two of their last 3 seasons in the Prem and were scheduled to make losses this year.

After also watching the Sunderland TIL I Die documentaries on Netflix it just emphasises the problem that exists in the country with the business model for running clubs. It has to be unsustainable for clubs to continue running at a loss because the football wheel of fortune will mean you will suffer at some stage and a day of reckoning finally arrives. The Prem & EFL has to stop this ridiculous situation, the minimum income for the side coming bottom is £100M so surely they can budget accordingly and have the balls to tell players you will be paid what the club can afford?

I have also read that over £1.6 billion is owed in football transfers with the majority of this, circa £600m owed by Premiership clubs in the UK who basically fund some of the “lesser” European  leagues with our willingness to pay excessively high transfer fees. With dwindling financial reserves in all clubs, signs that allowing large crowds maybe 12 months away and these transfer fees still due then surely the bottom has to fall out the market and maybe some of the bigger clubs will fall rather than leagues 1&2 clubs.

Interesting times ahead in all walks of life and the only certainty is uncertainty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2020, 7:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Just a really interesting little snippet that supports the above:

BT Sport have done a really good documentary on Channel 4's coverage of Italian football in the 80's. Channel 4 approached the Italian national broadcaster to buy all the Lazio games (because of Gascoigne) and were told no but you can have the live Sunday game and highlights for the whole season for £650k. Which they went for.

Based on the last Sky deal, £650k will get you 4.5 minutes of a Premier League game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
norfuk mariner
April 15, 2020, 7:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Article also confirms that PFA & EFL have agreed to players taking 25% pay cut in April in League one and Two, and Club Captains to agree May's plan for reduction.

Signs that football is trying to come to terms with excess players pay packages and one proposal being considered is having a wages budget cap of £195k for League 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bristol Rovers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.